ADVERTISEMENT

MD Fan asked me if PSU Fans don't like Franklin

lionsnphils

Sep 20, 2008
My retirement job is in Maryland and most of my co-workers are MD fans. One of my co-workers went to his first PSU game vs. Indiana. We were talking about his experience and he asked me if PSU fans didn't like Franklin because he saw several "Fire Franklin" signs. He was shocked by this.
I replied that he does a lot of good things but the main issue is OSU and Michigan. Most times PSU plays OSU well and there are several times PSU is leading in the 4th but fail to close the door. There are other times that he makes reallly stupid decisions that impact the game. Tomorrow I will point out that this game is not a one-off but typical Franklin in big games.

UM interim coach had a game plan and saw it wasn't working. JJ had 60 passing yards. He adjusted and the new plan worked. When the square peg ain't going in the round hole, you can keep beating it hoping it goes in or you can try another hole. Wonder if there are any analytics that state when you should change your plan?

Reactions: blair10
My retirement job is in Maryland and most of my co-workers are MD fans. One of my co-workers went to his first PSU game vs. Indiana. We were talking about his experience and he asked me if PSU fans didn't like Franklin because he saw several "Fire Franklin" signs. He was shocked by this.
I replied that he does a lot of good things but the main issue is OSU and Michigan. Most times PSU plays OSU well and there are several times PSU is leading in the 4th but fail to close the door. There are other times that he makes reallly stupid decisions that impact the game. Tomorrow I will point out that this game is not a one-off but typical Franklin in big games.

UM interim coach had a game plan and saw it wasn't working. JJ had 60 passing yards. He adjusted and the new plan worked. When the square peg ain't going in the round hole, you can keep beating it hoping it goes in or you can try another hole. Wonder if there are any analytics that state when you should change your plan?

All my friends that don't even watch college football(NFL guys) were texting me how awful our coaches are. At least Franklin can get off this local victimization thing he has been on, he's being disparaged nationally now.

Listening to his post game presser he still doesn’t see where he did anything wrong. This is why it keeps happening in every big game.

He defended both 2 pointers by saying it was analytics (and therefore correct or not his fault).

On the late 4th attempt instead of pinning Michigan deep with the punt he still said it had to be done because he may not get the ball back. Happened in OSU. Happened with Michigan. Will happen again because there’s no consideration maybe it was the wrong thing to do.

The only reporter who pressed him on his answer (about the last 2 point conversion) got stared at with awkward silence like ‘how dare you question me’. Then he wrote something down and was so annoyed he had to have the next question repeated.

Listening to his post game presser he still doesn’t see where he did anything wrong. This is why it keeps happening in every big game.

He defended both 2 pointers by saying it was analytics (and therefore correct or not his fault).

On the late 4th attempt instead of pinning Michigan deep with the punt he still said it had to be done because he may not get the ball back. Happened in OSU. Happened with Michigan. Will happen again because there’s no consideration maybe it was the wrong thing to do.

The only reporter who pressed him on his answer (about the last 2 point conversion) got stared at with awkward silence like ‘how dare you question me’. Then he wrote something down and was so annoyed he had to have the next question repeated.
Amazingly, USC went for 2 points late vs Oregon when down 9 points with like 2 minutes left in the game. They also failed to convert and the game was essentially over immediately. Announcer Tim Brando was saying.....what the hell did they do that for.....while Spencer Tillman was saying....I have no problem with them going for two there. So much for common sense......

Reactions: bison13 and psuno1
Amazingly, USC went for 2 points late vs Oregon when down 9 points with like 2 minutes left in the game. They also failed to convert and the game was essentially over immediately. Announcer Tim Brando was saying.....what the hell did they do that for.....while Spencer Tillman was saying....I have no problem with them going for two there. So much for common sense......
I firmly believe this is one of the circumstances where the cold hard stats make sense one way but psychologically and momentum works differently. When you score you have momentum- the last thing you want to do is let up on that pressure. So kick the extra point, keep pressure on the team that just gave up a TD and keep your team amped. Even if you get the two, it doesn’t really change the psyche of the team, but missing it crushes everything.

I was only in and out of that game as Oregon got way ahead and the game was essentially over early.

Tillman was clueless if he supported that decision. Failed 2 point conversion and any comeback was immediately over. Kick the extra point and SC would still be in the running, (granted low probability as there was only 2-3 minutes or so left).

The SC coaches are having a really rough year. The DC was fired mid season as they were just flat out horrible on that side of the ball. Lincoln Riley may not last long in LA at this point. The top post on their board when I looked was calling for Riley to be fired.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT