ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s BB tonight at 8-2 Duquesne

e35652c5d6e098a4b085084543fb19d9.jpg
You, Nit16, and 4INSBU ought to get room together and have a pillow fight.

If the team had been playing better, last night would've been overlooked and we'd look at it as a tough win that we were lucky to get and just move on to Alabama. Hopefully, we'll be ready to play down there. They are extremely athletic and if we protect the ball the way we did vs Duquesne, we'll have twenty plus turnovers and it won't matter if we can shoot or not.

Alabama is 181st in the country in turning the other team over and 310th in steals. Contrast that with Duquesne, who is 12th in the country in creating turnovers and 6th in steals.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Alabama is 181st in the country in turning the other team over and 310th in steals. Contrast that with Duquesne, who is 12th in the country in creating turnovers and 6th in steals.
But Duquesne also hasn’t exactly played a juggernaut of a schedule.

Reactions: bison13
But Duquesne also hasn’t exactly played a juggernaut of a schedule.
True, and I'm sure they'll drop somewhat. But even if you adjusted them for level of competition, Duquesne would be the team you'd expect to generate more turnovers/steals going forward (as we saw last night, they pressure the ball a lot more than Alabama).

Thanks Mrs Chambers. I understand that and did not watch the game so I wont comment on how bad the turnovers are. I also know freshmen sometimes throw the ball all over, but this is the same stuff all the time and you constantly defend PC as if he is related to you.

I get where you guys are coming from, but this was a pretty tricky game coming off a loss. I know Pitt hammered Duquesne, but in reality Pitt jumped on the Dukes fast and I believe Pitt is better with Capel.

I get where you guys are coming from, but this was a pretty tricky game coming off a loss. I know Pitt hammered Duquesne, but in reality Pitt jumped on the Dukes fast and I believe Pitt is better with Capel.
So in Pennsylvania basketball, we have sunk to Duquesne’s level....something to be excited about.

I know they don't normally call it (in the last minute- they should be consistent though), but there were 2 fouls on the play; he got bumped twice.

Along those lines, i've noticed it creeping in the last couple years, but what's with the 'Let them play in the paint' but we need to call every ticky tack thing on the top of the key. It's embarrassing to see someone hit the deck after getting sandwiched and it's either called a jump ball or nothing yet a little hand check on the top of the key (not even pushing off) is considered a foul right away.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Thanks Mrs Chambers. I understand that and did not watch the game so I wont comment on how bad the turnovers are. I also know freshmen sometimes throw the ball all over, but this is the same stuff all the time and you constantly defend PC as if he is related to you.
I didn’t defend him, I provided a fact that countered your incorrect comment about how much trouble we are in against Alabama’s pressure if we had trouble with Duquesne.

Turning the ball over has been the least of our worries at the offensive end thru the entire Chambers tenure. It’s the one offensive component that’s been consistently solid.

I didn’t defend him, I provided a fact that countered your incorrect comment about how much trouble we are in against Alabama’s pressure if we had trouble with Duquesne.

Turning the ball over has been the least of our worries at the offensive end thru the entire Chambers tenure. It’s the one offensive component that’s been consistently solid.
I didnt make that point, someone else did. I'm just commenting on your constant defending of anything someone says regarding Pat's game day deficiencies

Reactions: Nit16
I didnt make that point, someone else did. I'm just commenting on your constant defending of anything someone says regarding Pat's game day deficiencies

Can you point out where in this post (the one that you replied to) I was "defending...Pat's game day deficiencies"?

Iso's and a bad shot I guess are better than a turnover. Last night one of the issues was turnovers. I feel relieved now that I know how good Duquesne is defensively.. I would think that if teams see on tape how loose Butler is with the ball, they'll pressure him more. He can shoot so has to be out there but he plays like the freshman he his. It's just something every game.. bad turnovers were last night's theme along with missed layups. Bad free throws vs Indiana. Bad defense vs NC State. Something every game..

Reactions: bison13

Averaging almost 14 turnovers a game....seems like a problem.

Iso's and a bad shot I guess are better than a turnover. Last night one of the issues was turnovers. I feel relieved now that I know how good Duquesne is defensively.. I would think that if teams see on tape how loose Butler is with the ball, they'll pressure him more. He can shoot so has to be out there but he plays like the freshman he his. It's just something every game.. bad turnovers were last night's theme along with missed layups. Bad free throws vs Indiana. Bad defense vs NC State. Something every game..

Duquesne isn't that good defensively. But, what they do well is pressure and force turnovers. That needs to be countered by attacking the press and getting easy baskets in transition (and also attacking the offensive glass, since they don't rebound). We didn't do nearly enough attacking of the pressure last night.

Averaging almost 14 turnovers a game....seems like a problem.

Turning it over on 19.1% of possessions, which is 170th in the country (ie average, out of 353 teams). Thus far, it is the highest rate of Pat's time here (ended his 1st season at 19.0%). But not nearly as bad as our shooting.

Turning it over on 19.1% of possessions, which is 170th in the country (ie average, out of 353 teams). Thus far, it is the highest rate of Pat's time here (ended his 1st season at 19.0%). But not nearly as bad as our shooting.
Nothing is as bad as our shooting.

We can't be afraid to make a move because we're afraid the next guy will be as bad or worse. Change is needed. Chambers isn't the answer. We need to give someone else an opportunity. Let's give one of the Nova assistants an opportunity. Halcovage or Neptune? Hell, Nardi's young but why not? Take a shot. It can't get much worse.

Are we really down 7 at the half? lol. It's just comical at this point

First learn something about BB. Where the he-double hockey sticks do you thing Chambers came from - Boston University after several years at you guessed it, drum roll, a top assistant at Villanova!

Well we've heard your opinion twice now. You must be blind to think Pat is the right choice.
So, you really don't know what an opinion is, do you? I haven't given my opinion in this thread and I haven't mentioned Pat. Comprehension issues or you just like to make stuff up?

They certainly made the right call in this situation...could have called the foul on either defensive player...a block on one or contact in the back on the other. I really wasn’t sure why their coach freaked out the way he did.

He freaked because Stevens pushed off before getting to the basket where the foul was called. Stevens did everything wrong basically.. he went too early, pushed off and got super lucky the offensive foul wasn’t called. Their coach helped him out some more as Duquesne would’ve had 5 seconds to tie or win.

He freaked because Stevens pushed off before getting to the basket where the foul was called. Stevens did everything wrong basically.. he went too early, pushed off and got super lucky the offensive foul wasn’t called. Their coach helped him out some more as Duquesne would’ve had 5 seconds to tie or win.
Did you watch the play? He pushed air...his arm went out but he barely made contact. It was a flop by the defender.

Last edited:

True and fair but Duquense won’t finish in the top half of the A10.

True and fair but Duquense won’t finish in the top half of the A10.
Looks like he was a good hire for Pitt. He'll likely have Pitt back in a relatively short amount of time. Problem with Penn State is it probably could not get a guy like that given the BB track record.

Reactions: Nit16
Looks like he was a good hire for Pitt. He'll likely have Pitt back in a relatively short amount of time. Problem with Penn State is it probably could not get a guy like that given the BB track record.
Especially if we assume we can’t and don’t try.

I hear ya nits but who knows if Pitt guy gets them there. I just know Chambers is a joke and Penn St Admin obviously doesn’t give a crap about a winning basketball program.

And where are all of the Chambers apologists that know nothing about college hoops. Yippee for recruiting a handful of Philly kids. Those apologists talked about a couple recruiting classes like they where Kentucky or Duke level. Joke coach and joke program. Penn State should have fired Chambers last year and hired the Buffalo coach. And that’s what Penn State should do in March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT