ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Olympic Freestyle Thread

Wow....Mongolian wrestler gave away a bronze by being a complete idiot and taunting his opponent and not engaging at the end. The level of terrible sportsmanship by these countries is disgusting IMO. From biting, to taunting to refusing to continue....sad.

I still can't believe Frank's match. First you could of made a very good case he was trying to injure Frank on that ankle roll. Second he uses Frank's forearm as a cheesesteak and takes a bite. That guy should be suspended from some future matches. Questionable no calls no doubt.

I think rephechage is Uzbekian. Loosley translates to one more chance to **** you.

36228639.jpg

Congrats to Snyder !!

What are the odds he redshirts this upcoming season ?
It hinges on how Tan Tom evaluates this year's team.

Either way, I think the rest of Snyder's folk career mirrors this past year: Snyder does international freestyle tourneys until February. If Tan Tom thinks the team can win nationals, Snyder wrestles folk for a month. If not, then Snyder shirts and Ryan goes with the regular season starter.

If it matters: Ohio State will be point-challenged at 165 or 184 this year and will be an extremely young team -- Tavanello (285) and Kresevic (165) will be the only seniors who might start. Snyder, Jordan, and Tomasello will be juniors. Strategically Snyder should shirt this year. (It would also throw a bone to senior Tavanello.)

Then again, strategically Snyder and Martin should've both shirted this past year. So I'm with NYW, I think Snyder never shirts -- unless he decides he wants to stretch out his scholarship into grad school.

Reactions: diggerpup
Thanks for the info and link.

Not sure how we now define the difference between an amateur and a pro, but good for Kyle. He earned his gold medal, and the financial benefits that come with it.

Is there not enough money available for Snyder to declare himself a pro?
Unfortunately wrestling is still not anywhere close to a mainstream sport in America, so no I don't think so. I mean he just became the youngest Olympic wrestling champion in US history and he is not even mentioned on the front page of ESPN...the Mongolian coaches are though!!

Henry Cejudo didn't exactly become a household name after his gold medal win at 21 in 2008 you know.

Reactions: manatree
And he'll pay nearly half back to the gov't for the privilege of competing.
Congress is considering a bill to make Olympic awards -- and the medals themselves -- tax-free. A similar bill in 2012 died in the Senate, but this time multiple senators have lined up as sponsors. So it has a decent shot at passage.

Reactions: diggerpup
Congress is considering a bill to make Olympic awards -- and the medals themselves -- tax-free. A similar bill in 2012 died in the Senate, but this time multiple senators have lined up as sponsors. So it has a decent shot at passage.
True, but unlikely to pass, if history is any indicator (my opinion only, I see you mentioned 2012 already)...

Plenty of articles out there, here's one...https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7533479f3f5_story.html?utm_term=.1b652d0f3448

Reactions: fronk71
More like 20% to 35% just like any other American who earns $250k.

Actually there are a lot of variables in play since for income tax purposes they are self employed so a lot of their expenses are deductible. However, most of the top wrestlers are at places like the NLWC where they already receive money to help defray those expenses so those payments would also be income. Basically, it's a lot more complicated than just paying income tax on the $250K or whatever the amount is.

More like 20% to 35% just like any other American who earns $250k.

Your talking federal. Add in PA and local and Id say its closer to 40%. But that debate is probably more for another board. I get your point though, hopefully you get mine.

Your talking federal. Add in PA and local and Id say its closer to 40%. But that debate is probably more for another board. I get your point though, hopefully you get mine.

And you have to add in the FICA where self employed pay their share plus the same amount (with some deductions) that their employer would have paid.

I'd be alright with the medals being tax free, but the cash rewards should be considered gross, taxable income, just like the rest of us.
I get that, and also understand that many athletes get by with not much money for 3 yrs, then a select few make it all up in the 4th year if highly successful.

Even Cael has said that guys who need to make more money will need to forgo training for a job.

I'll defer to the accountants on how to make it happen: hopefully the athletes can spread or defer payments to minimize a short-term tax spike that's unrepresentative of their broader financial position.

Of course I get your point.

However, I do not feel bad that Olympic Athletes like Snyder who make significant income from their success have to pay taxes like everyone else in this country. The Olympic Athletes that I believe deserve attention relating to their finances are those athletes who train every bit as hard as Snyder but receive very little compensation (i.e. Molinaro). Unfortunately, taxbreaks will likely do little to offset the hardships of these athletes because they earn so little that they likely pay very little or no taxes.

I have no problem with our national athletes getting paid, although I will quibble as to how they are getting paid. However, if we are taxing the income of our military and first responders, we damn well should be taxing our athletes.

Reactions: SRATH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT