ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Olympic Freestyle Thread

Cox down 1-0 after one, on a shot clock violation.

Damn near had an Olympic Spladle -- Cox had the leg in, they were on the mat, he went for the far knee, but the ref had no idea what was happening and stopped the action.

Ugh, didn't appear that J'den realized he didn't hold criteria. Mind boggling to lose this way in a match that would've put him in the finals.

Cox loses 2-1 ... real close, and a real shame. Of the 4 decent shots, he took 3 of them. (The only decent shot by Turkey turned into the near-spladle by Cox.)

Got a pushout in the 2nd to tie. Apparently was losing on criteria. Got a shrug and scored the winning takedown about a half-second too late. USA challenged the no-score call, point for Turkey on the failed challenge.

I only learned a few days ago that shot clock violation trumps a push out. Totally byzantine. Shouldn't the coaches know this though? With J'den defending the last minute the coaches need to own some of this loss.

And that my friends is why freestyle sucks. It takes a special kind of dumb to come up with the criteria that decides who wins these matches.

Ummm ... link or it didn't happen:
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/what-rules-changes-would-you-like-to-see.131539/#post-2063758

If a match is tied at the end of regulation there is a one minute sudden death period. If there is still a tie the referee decides the winner, just like the old days.

Last edited:
It also points to a weakness in our sport on the international level. Most of the countries teach defensive wrestling and it sure is some boring shit. Wonder why people don't want to watch that?

Reactions: amalone
this is why i don't enjoy olympic wrestling. too much is in the hands of the officials.
Such as: Turkey earlier threw out the Challenge Pokemon on one of the pushouts. The ref just tossed it back to them. If that had counted as a failed challenge, then Cox is up 2-1 after his pushout point. Changes the entire complexion of the match.

I vaguely recall an NFL game a couple years ago, where the coach threw out the flag when he wasn't allowed to -- and it cost them team a 15-yd penalty. Don't understand why that can't be the case here. It would also cut down on the Russian Stall Flags.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Such as: Turkey earlier threw out the Challenge Pokemon on one of the pushouts. The ref just tossed it back to them. If that had counted as a failed challenge, then Cox is up 2-1 after his pushout point. Changes the entire complexion of the match.

I vaguely recall an NFL game a couple years ago, where the coach threw out the flag when he wasn't allowed to -- and it cost them team a 15-yd penalty. Don't understand why that can't be the case here. It would also cut down on the Russian Stall Flags.
Isn't it up to the wrestler to accept or reject his coach's challenge? And if rejected, as was the case in the Cox match, it's as if it didn't happen?

Isn't it up to the wrestler to accept or reject his coach's challenge? And if rejected, as was the case in the Cox match, it's as if it didn't happen?
If that's correct, then the rules incentivize an organized shell game of stall flags. Wrestler knows coach will throw the flag any time he thinks his guy needs a breather. Wrestler merely waives it off. Free rest!

If that's correct, then the rules incentivize an organized shell game of stall flags. Wrestler knows coach will throw the flag any time he thinks his guy needs a breather. Wrestler merely waives it off. Free rest!
I generally agree there are too many ways to game the system in FS but the rejecting the challenge sequence doesn't take up any time. Ref looks to wrestler who nods yes or no, if no, they restart. A few seconds maybe. Guys lying on the mat with bs injuries is a bigger problem, approaches soccer "simulation" levels of ridiculous at times.

Criteria is fine, the coaches not knowing the rules is not. They need to let him know and they should've challenged the second push out. Additionally, Yasar not getting put on the clock is ridiculous.

Reactions: Onceafish
Hey Jefe, just saw our favorite wrestling initialed reporter tell Jay Borschel to "watch more wrestling" so he can understand freestyle better.

I cannot find it on tv. Looks like maybe a replay tonight at 8pm. Anyone else find it? Trying to watch on laptop but it is real choppy this afternoon. Didn't have a problem this morning.

Question, for those in the know: Do Espinal and Gomez like, live in State College and train there full-time? Or do they live in their competing countries, and come over for camps, etc? What's that whole situation like?

SIAP - Where are the Olympic Freestyle matches being shown?

Any times and channels?

Cox wrestles the Cuban, Salas, for the bronze at 4:15 - unclear what channel, I'm watching on-line

There is a post on the Iowa board that Cox medal match will be on msnbc 4:00-4:15. Believe that when I see it. But who could blame them as France v Russia woman's handball is a world wide phenomenon.

Reactions: 12bflying
There is a post on the Iowa board that Cox medal match will be on msnbc 4:00-4:15. Believe that when I see it. But who could blame them as France v Russia woman's handball is a world wide phenomenon.
Kinda like not seeing PSU vs. Iowa live on BTN, due to some Woody/Bo Retrospective being re-run.

BTW, there is wrestling on MSNBC right now -- Venezuela vs. Azerbaijan, not sure what weight.

Reactions: KFM74
Between periods in Ven-Aze. Announcers just said Cox's match will be next.

Kinda like not seeing PSU vs. Iowa live on BTN, due to some Woody/Bo Retrospective being re-run.

BTW, there is wrestling on MSNBC right now -- Venezuela vs. Azerbaijan, not sure what weight.

Got it on too. Well I believe it.

I unfortunately think BTN will only get worse. In 5 years we will be subjected to A 60 minute documentary taking an intense look into how Harbaugh chooses Kahkis.

Reactions: diggerpup
Cox up 1-0 after first on passivity. Salas doing zero, entirely letting Cox shoot and then trying for a lift in the scramble. Cox has been in on 3 or so ankle picks plus a good snatch sinigle, just hasn't converted.

IIRC Salas is the same guy Ed Ruth wrecked previously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT