ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Minnesota transfer RB Trey Potts committed to PSU

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Coming home. Running out in front of the best fans and game atmosphere in college football. And looking forward to a BCS bowl game.

With 2 years of eligibility for Potts, this might say that Martin will be the only RB in the 2024 class.

Last edited:
Correct, and the other freshman RB weighs 175lbs.
and was recruited as a mid three star athlete. Don't get me wrong, appears to have a tremendous upside....very athletic. Running game aside, they needed someone who could protect the QB (experience) in pass pro as well.

Reactions: creamery freak
Gives us room to let Nick try to run back as many kickoffs as he can.
Yep, good point.

I'm hoping that NS only returns kicks in the games that are real questions. Wonder if Potts has returned kicks. Found it - only 2 KO returns, 1 in 2020 and 1 in 2021 for 42 yards total. Hope the light/fast true freshman RB or another young skill player can take the KO role for PSU against the lesser teams in 2023.

His UM bio says he was academic all B10 for 3 years, 2020 - 2022. Coming to PSU for an MBA? Hope it takes him 2 years to get it.

ESPN bio say he has fumbled exactly ZERO times in 3 years.

Minnesota transfer RB Trey Potts who ran 239 times for 1,139yards and 11 TDs over four years has committed to Penn State.

There's a minimum of 40 carries a year for a third back, and if either of the two top guys gets banged up, it becomes 60 or 80 carries.

Running backs know they get NFL opportunities based largely on combine performance. They don't need a ton of carries -- in fact a ton of carries wears out the legs. Coming to PSU gives him a chance to be part of a very good running back room and run behind what should be a pretty good offensive line. And if he performs well, he could carve out a bigger role than just backup, he could end up in a 3-co-starters kind of situation.

Yep, good point.

I'm hoping that NS only returns kicks in the games that are real questions. Wonder if Potts has returned kicks. Found it - only 2 KO returns, 1 in 2020 and 1 in 2021 for 42 yards total. Hope the light/fast true freshman RB or another young skill player can take the KO role for PSU against the lesser teams in 2023.

His UM bio says he was academic all B10 for 3 years, 2020 - 2022. Coming to PSU for an MBA? Hope it takes him 2 years to get it.

ESPN bio say he has fumbled exactly ZERO times in 3 years.
One of PSU writers said that a big upside to this is the desire to redshirt both freshman RBs if necessary or for roster management, and this addition will help with that.

There's a minimum of 40 carries a year for a third back, and if either of the two top guys gets banged up, it becomes 60 or 80 carries.

Running backs know they get NFL opportunities based largely on combine performance. They don't need a ton of carries -- in fact a ton of carries wears out the legs. Coming to PSU gives him a chance to be part of a very good running back room and run behind what should be a pretty good offensive line. And if he performs well, he could carve out a bigger role than just backup, he could end up in a 3-co-starters kind of situation.

Smith, Lee, and ford hat 50 carries last year. Clifford had another 60+ and I doubt aAllar runs as much.

One of PSU writers said that a big upside to this is the desire to redshirt both freshman RBs if necessary or for roster management, and this addition will help with that.

What writer? That is a dump point by the writer. With the portal, early entry, career ending injuries most players never see a fifth year at their original school. If a player can contribute then play them.

Agree, what he really needs to do is show proficiency in all of the RB responsibilities.... - i.e., pass-pro, run blocking, catching the ball out of backfield (outlet receiver) and running the ball. He does all that - even in "clean-up duty" during blowouts, he will improve his draft potential.

Reactions: tboyer
You actually spent the time to post this - as if anyone cares what you think.
You responded so apparently you do
I think meh sums it up...it won't help us much but us decent depth...meh
We have much bigger needs for the portal as you know

Being a big fan means I'm supposed to pretend I don't understand football and think this is a great addition?

???? Arguing both sides again. LMFAO. Where did I say anything that remotely resembles what you're laughablly whining about being persecuted for douchebag??? Always the "victim".... even when going out of your way to denigrate and troll some young man for the egregious choice of choosing PSU.... You're such a putz little-man.

???? Arguing both sides again. LMFAO. Where did I say anything that remotely resembles what you're laughablly whining about being persecuted for douchebag??? Always the "victim".... even when going out of your way to denigrate and troll some young man for the egregious choice of choosing PSU.... You're such a putz little-man.
How am I arguing both sides? I said "meh"--because that's what this is. Why are you pretending that statement isn't accurate? Is he going to play much barring injury? Is that a position of need?

Again, you can cheerlead all you want. I'm trying to talk football.

How am I arguing both sides? I said "meh"--because that's what this is. Why are you pretending that statement isn't accurate? Is he going to play much barring injury? Is that a position of need?

Again, you can cheerlead all you want. I'm trying to talk football.
Please explain how it’s a bad addition. I’ll take all the proven players we can get. I’m quite sure Franklin didn’t tell the other coaches that now that we got this guy we can stop going after other positions of need. Good lord.

Please explain how it’s a bad addition. I’ll take all the proven players we can get. I’m quite sure Franklin didn’t tell the other coaches that now that we got this guy we can stop going after other positions of need. Good lord.
I didn't say bad. I said "meh". It's neither good nor bad. Same as adding depth in the NFL. It has minimal if any impact. Meh.

We have much bigger needs for the portal as you know

I think RB was a bigger need than DT. 2 true freshman and 3 walk ons behind Singleton and Allen isn't great and definitely a weakness that we've had recently exploited.

DT I understand. We all want an elite guy, but it doesn't appear that one exists in the portal yet. There isn't a single one I've seen, yet, that screams "day 1 starter". More depth, sure. Not as needed as an RB.

WR has seemingly been addressed. Do you think we need a 3rd?

Any other needs that you can think of? If an upgrade at Mike came available, I'd be interested (I'd prefer to keep Carter at Will, Jacobs at Sam, and bring Rojas along like Carter was last year; I foresee Carter at Mike on 3rd downs and perhaps more if King and or Elsdon struggle).

I'd take a Potts-esqe QB just to have 4 on scholarship. But I'm not sure that's a needs vs added depth.

I think RB was a bigger need than DT. 2 true freshman and 3 walk ons behind Singleton and Allen isn't great and definitely a weakness that we've had recently exploited.

DT I understand. We all want an elite guy, but it doesn't appear that one exists in the portal yet. There isn't a single one I've seen, yet, that screams "day 1 starter". More depth, sure. Not as needed as an RB.

WR has seemingly been addressed. Do you think we need a 3rd?

Any other needs that you can think of? If an upgrade at Mike came available, I'd be interested (I'd prefer to keep Carter at Will, Jacobs at Sam, and bring Rojas along like Carter was last year; I foresee Carter at Mike on 3rd downs and perhaps more if King and or Elsdon struggle).

I'd take a Potts-esqe QB just to have 4 on scholarship. But I'm not sure that's a needs vs added depth.
100% a Potts-esque QB is a bigger need but that's also depth. I do think we need another WR and even depth at DT is a much bigger need given the current starters. Agreed about LB. Truthfully I think WR is a huge need still.

My point isn't that this is bad. It's just something you go "okay" and move on. If Potts plays a significant role this year that's not a good thing but it's better than what we had if needed if he has to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT