ADVERTISEMENT

Most depressing movie of all time?

5 Easy Pieces-the scene between Nicholson and his character’s father just shattered me!

Reactions: LionJim
The Bucket List, because friends dragged us to see it shortly after my mom passed. It opened up too many recent scars way too soon. I should have walked out.

If any of you are old enough to remember it, "The Pawnbroker" starring Rod Steiger. Woof! Some of the ones already mentioned have uplifting endings, but not this baby.
what? with all the death and addiction already mentioned :rolleyes:

I will have to check it out on a day when my eyes are dry 😢

The opening montage in Up is just tremendously heartbreaking. Not sure if it’s depressing, but touching nonetheless.

Marly and Me is a tearjerker, especially for dog lovers.

Similar to The Deer Hunter, other Vietnam movies are pretty dark and depressing - Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Born on the 4th of July, Apocalypse Now - all pretty heavy/deep plot lines.

Reactions: PSU73
Movies with unhappy endings do not depress me. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised when I run across those, simply because it's generally rare when the creative folk win out over the suits.

In terms of a surprisingly unhappy ending flick, I have a Gen-X sleeper: The Last American Virgin. With that one, you were expecting a raunchy teen comedy, a la Porky's, but midstream, the film morphs into a somber unrequited love tearjerker.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The opening montage in Up is just tremendously heartbreaking. Not sure if it’s depressing, but touching nonetheless.

Marly and Me is a tearjerker, especially for dog lovers.

Similar to The Deer Hunter, other Vietnam movies are pretty dark and depressing - Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Born on the 4th of July, Apocalypse Now - all pretty heavy/deep plot lines.

Since you're nominating a Pixar film, I'll add another: Onward.

I've talked to nobody else who has seen it, because it just got thrown on Disney+ instead of theaters at the beginning of covid, but man...this movie breaks me in the final five minutes. Like Up, I guess it isn't "depressing" per se, but it tore me apart.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Never seen it but I remember hearing critic Jack garner saying The Hours was one of the most depressing.

Million Dollar Baby, no question. I didn't sleep for days. You all should watch it.

A few years back, there was a film competition where the contestants had to create a short film using only these six lines of dialogue.

"What is that?"
"It's a unicorn"
"Never seen one up close before."
"Beautiful"
"Get away"
"I'm sorry"

This was the winner. Hadn't thought if this for years. It's precisely 3 minutes long and well worth a viewing:

Since you're nominating a Pixar film, I'll add another: Onward.

I've talked to nobody else who has seen it, because it just got thrown on Disney+ instead of theaters at the beginning of covid, but man...this movie breaks me in the final five minutes. Like Up, I guess it isn't "depressing" per se, but it tore me apart.
Saw it, and agreed - excellent choice. The Pixar people just get it when it comes to layered storytelling. We could probably name dozens of other such moments woven throughout their entire catalog.

Reactions: wbcincy
The Deer Hunter: I tried twice to make it to the end. No Can Do.
That’s weird. I’ve watched it all the way through many times. It’s a beautiful production. It’s not the happiest story in the world but it’s a classic of American cinema.

Reactions: nits74
A few come to mind…

Brian’s Song
Beaches
Bang the Drum Slowly

Not sure if American Beauty has a place, but it had some hysterically funny scenes intertwined with some disturbing and depressing ones. Overall brilliant movie, though not one for everybody. Probably the only movie I initially hated, but then loved after a second viewing.

That’s weird. I’ve watched it all the way through many times. It’s a beautiful production. It’s not the happiest story in the world but it’s a classic of American cinema.
Even great films can be difficult to watch. I don’t believe anyone in this thread has disputed the greatness of The Deer Hunter.

Last edited:
Even great films can be difficult to watch. I don’t believe that anyone in this thread has disputed the greatness of The Deer Hunter.
I was addressing someone who said they couldn’t even finish watching the film. I don’t get that.

Brazil - strange but on par with what Terry Gilliam would do but very hopeless ending.

iu
Last American virgin.

“I did my best but I guess my best wasn’t good enough.”James Ingram

Marty about a fat guy looking for love and his mom pushing him
A middle-aged butcher and a school teacher who have given up on the idea of love meet at a dance and fall for each other.

Made in the U. S . A
2 guys from Mont Carmel leave to head to California via Centriala. Long the way they find many more environmental problems that make the one before look not so bad
A naked at times Lori Singer makes it almost watchable

I had forgotten about this one- if you have seen it, you know this is the one
iu

Noticing a Jack Nicholson commonality here so I'll throw in another one, The Last Detail. Not a happy story but some funny scenes. Also surprised nobody mentioned Midnight Cowboy. May have missed it though, if it was mentioned

The Champ. Scene when champ died and kid is yelling get up champ! Had an uncle die of massive sudden heart attack. When his brother got to hospital he started yelling Get up! Get up! That scene brought it all back. Brutal.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and WaylonJ
Must be me but I thought Kingdom of heaven was really good.

Yep, one of my favorites. But when I watched it for the second time I looked up some of the history. Saladin did not just let all the Christians go free - they had to buy their way out and I believe some that couldn't were taken as slaves.

And I don't see anything depressing about it......

Reactions: brupsu
Robin Williams played in a number of depressing flicks. Dead Poet Society, Photo Booth, Final Cut. He may hold the record for most depressing movies!

Reactions: brupsu
Saw it, and agreed - excellent choice. The Pixar people just get it when it comes to layered storytelling. We could probably name dozens of other such moments woven throughout their entire catalog.
Adding to my praise of Pixar, I just watched - and absolutely enjoyed- Luca tonight. Certainly not their best effort, but really, really good. Again, they just get the core tenants of storytelling better than most other studios out there.

The one in Liam Neeson: A Life of Being Tall for an Irish Guy when the Queen's thugboots drive ontah the rugby piatch with a sherman tank

Easy. Requiem for a Dream.

I don't know what #2 is but it isn't particularly close. Aronofsky really outdid himself with his realistic depiction of drug addiction and its consequences. Should be required watching for every high school senior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT