ADVERTISEMENT

Most depressing movie of all time?

Yep, one of my favorites. But when I watched it for the second time I looked up some of the history. Saladin did not just let all the Christians go free - they had to buy their way out and I believe some that couldn't were taken as slaves.

And I don't see anything depressing about it......
Saladin did take the poor as slaves.That was typical of the times.
Reading a book on Richard the lionhearted and did not realize he never lost a battle.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Reading a book on Richard the lionhearted and did not realize he never lost a battle.

I just don't understand that with all the dramatics of that movie they had to purposely make Saladin look like he was a saint, falsely showing him letting all the Christians go unharmed.

Reactions: 83wuzme and brupsu
I just don't understand that with all the dramatics of that movie they had to purposely make Saladin look like he was a saint, falsely showing him letting all the Christians go unharmed.
Also showing the templer knights as a bunch of thugs

What movie left you just beaten down by how depressing it was?

I nominate On the Beach from 1959
iu

"This is how the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper"
I’ve got 2. The Deer Hunter and The Apartment.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and brupsu
"Mein Kampf, when we were in 7th grade, several of classmates went to the local theater to view this film. The guy's intention was to do some "necking" during the movie. This was so disturbing, bodies laid upon bodies in hugh burial excavations. Needles to say, no necking, but we all stayed for the entire movie. The burial scenes captured in our minds will be there forever.

Most depressing into categories:

Depressing Drugs: Requiem for a Dream
No hope for humanity: Rashoman
Gruesome/sadistic: Salo
Depressing relationship: Blue Valentine
Depressing sc-fi: The Mist (2007) - underrated

A toss up, my two wedding videos.
Has ANY post ever gotten more than fifty (50) likes? That has got to be approaching the record. It even obliterates the number of likes for posts about someone's dad fighting a cancer diagnosis. Which is saying a LOT. LOL ...

Reactions: WestSideLion
Has ANY post ever gotten more than fifty (50) likes? That has got to be approaching the record. It even obliterates the number of likes for posts about someone's dad fighting a cancer diagnosis. Which is saying a LOT. LOL ...
It’s either;
A. My natural comedic genius
B. The state of martial affairs in America.
If I were a betting man I’d lay all my chips on B.

Scanning through this thread, I think Saving Private Ryan and Girl Interrupted might be the only movies I’ve seen in here.

Haven't scrolled through the whole thread, but Boys Town with Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney was heart-rending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT