ADVERTISEMENT

Must win MBB game vs Indy tonight

Yes, PSU has to win this. IU has multiple injuries and is not playing well; on top of that they are a terrible road team. PSU needs to hold serve at home.
Indy doesn't have a big center like Michigan and Purdue and this game is at home. You simply can't lose a game like this and expect to make the dance.

I don't pay much attention to other teams but Rutgers & Northwestern have good records. There aren't any easy games.

Men's basketball at Penn State does not have "must win" games...good lord only 3 other power five schools have had a longer drought than us in qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

Funk and Dread aren't great coming off screens. They're great spot up shooters when Pickett or Wynter can penetrate and kick out.
They ain't "great" at anything...every 5th game they get hot and we win, the rest of the time they stink like everyone else not named "Jalen Pickett" on this team that plays without a center for christ sake.

NIT. Again.

PSU down 12-10 with 12:08 left in the first half. PSU double teaming Indiana’s best guy is leading to a lot of open 10 footers for Indiana. Pickett scoreless at this point. Indiana is doing a nice job defending him.

Defense is poor to start, especially blocking out and giving up offensive rebounds.

Offense looks like vs Purdue. Pickett struggling to penetrate. Fortunately Lundy is hot from 3.

Nije just isn't ready for the pass when is underneath the hoop..missed a couple easy deliveries in the Purdue game, and now another vs IU. If Nije can be even a decent threat moving forward, that will be huge. Otherwise, we have zilch presence in the painted area.

PSU down 12-10 with 12:08 left in the first half. PSU double teaming Indiana’s best guy is leading to a lot of open 10 footers for Indiana. Pickett scoreless at this point. Indiana is doing a nice job defending him.
nice, I pick it up at 35 to 22 so that means a 25 to 10 run for PSU

37-26 PSU at the half. Funk got hot at the end of the half. Lundy with 14 and Funk with 11.

Apparently Shrew’s press conference didn’t have much impact on the refs…team fouls 8-4 against PSU. Indiana shot 7 free throws and PSU 0. And neither team is pounding it inside.

Funk 3-5 from 3pt
Lundy 4-7 from 3 pt

PSU finally stopped giving up offensive rebounds. Indy helped us out by shooting 3-7 FTs (incl front end).

This is still a close game. It's unlikely that Funk & Lundy can stay this hot. Pickett has to find a way to get in the paint.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Apparently Shrew’s press conference didn’t have much impact on the refs…team fouls 8-4 against PSU. Indiana shot 7 free throws and PSU 0. And neither team is pounding it inside.
The fouls worked in our favor because Indy missed their FTs.

on offense Pickett wasn't able to get in the paint where we're most likely to draw fouls. Mahaffey and Njie commit fouls on defense.

Yes, PSU has to win this. IU has multiple injuries and is not playing well; on top of that they are a terrible road team.
You’re definitely selling Indiana short in calling them a “terrible” road team…there aren’t many teams that would do much better than they have on the road thus far.

46-39 PSU…Indiana opened the half with an 8-0 run but PSU got some back.

They've hardly scored in the paint. Indy has 7 offensive rebounds vs only 3 for PSU.

I'm concerned that Pickett hasn't been able to get in the paint.
Indiana’s guards are big enough that he doesn’t have a clear mismatch like we can find most nights. Thankfully, they can’t stay with us on the perimeter.

Reactions: bdgan
They've hardly scored in the paint. Indy has 7 offensive rebounds vs only 3 for PSU.

I'm concerned that Pickett hasn't been able to get in the paint.
I get the Penn State hasn’t scored from the paint to draw fouls, but Indiana hasn’t either yet they’ve managed to shoot 14 free throws.

Reactions: Online Persona
I get the Penn State hasn’t scored from the paint to draw fouls, but Indiana hasn’t either yet they’ve managed to shoot 14 free throws.
Indy has a lot of paint points.

PSU is outscoring Indy by 39 pts from 3. They're probably outscoring us by 20 in the paint.

I wish we could have saved some of those 3 pt shots. 54 of our 85 pts from 3.

Mahaffey & Wynter had nice games.

Indy won offensive rebounds 13-3. PSU is going to lose a bunch of games if that keeps up. Indy helped us by going 10-18 from the FT line.

Dorsey must be injured or being punished. I can't remember the last time he's played.

Announcers pretty impressed w Penn State. Added in that this year’s rookie class is solid and next years looks good so we should be very good for a couple years. Shrew’s son coming in at 6’ 10’ will help!
I have no idea about our young players. Mahaffey is playing with confidence and should improve. Njie is a project. I think he might be good by his junior year. Brown, Clary, and Lilley might also take until their junior years.

Shrew's son is 6'2". You must be thinking of Booth. Booth is 6'9" but he only weighs 190. He's gotta get bigger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT