ADVERTISEMENT

My CFP Armageddon scenario, AKA how we get an 8 team playoff.

Rollin Stone

Aug 1, 2014
Alexandria, VA
Ok this all supposition or wishful thinking on my part.

Now that Stanford has beaten Washington last night. They are scenarios that could happen that would mean that you could 3 Power 5 conferences not represented in the CFP. Which i think would cause the powers to be expedite the implementation of an 8 team CFP.

I’m not saying that this will happen with a high probability, but it is not a stretch of the the imagination.

Ok First, Alabama wins out as well as Georgia they play in the SEC Conf Championship game and play a classic game that is decided by less than 3 points and or a score late in the game. The committee then has the ability to put both of these teams in the CFP because of what happens next.

Second, the PAC 12
With Stanford beating Washington. You now do not have any team in the PAC 12 with less than 2 losses. So they are out.

Third BIG 10
If Wisconsin loses today to Iowa (possible) or loses in the CCG to a 2 loss Ohio State Or 2 loss Mich St. Or they are simply are overlook by the committee because of their strength of schedule. My opinion is that if Wisconsin has even one loss and they win the CCG, there is a chance they wouldn’t get in.

So possibly the BIG 10 is out assuming a 2 loss East Champ beats Wisconsin in the CCG.

Fourth,
I will try to keep my brunch down when typing this. Notre Dame wins out after beating the canes today (mmmgh). By ND continuing to win this strengthens Georgia if they even do lose to Alabama in their CCG. Notre Dame wins out they are in the CFP.

Fifth,
The ACC, Miami loses to ND today and then loses to Clemson in the ACC CCG. BUT Clemson has either lost today against FSU (not likely) or to South Carolina at the end of their season (possible).
So when A 2 loss Clemson beats Miami in the CCG both will have 2 losses.
ACC is then out.

Lastly,
The Big 12 ends up with a 1 loss champion either Oklahoma or TCU. If it is Oklahoma then that strengthens the BIG 10 not getting in because of the OU win over Ohio St.

So what you would then have for the CFP is
Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and the 1 loss winner of the BIG 12 let’s say Oklahoma.

You would then have 3 power 5 conferences not in the playoff and a lot of pissed off people which, in my opinion, would expedite the cause for an 8 team playoff format.

Discuss

The Big 12 champ could also easily have two losses. TCU-Oklahoma will probably play each other twice.

There’s a good chance we’ll see a two loss team in the playoff.

What if Miami beats Notre Dame but loses to Clemson in the ACC title game? Could both teams, with one loss, make the playoff? Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Miami could finish as the only major conference teams with one loss or less. Would they all make it ahead of a two loss Oklahoma or TCU?

Ok this all supposition or wishful thinking on my part.

Now that Stanford has beaten Washington last night. They are scenarios that could happen that would mean that you could 3 Power 5 conferences not represented in the CFP. Which i think would cause the powers to be expedite the implementation of an 8 team CFP.

I’m not saying that this will happen with a high probability, but it is not a stretch of the the imagination.

Ok First, Alabama wins out as well as Georgia they play in the SEC Conf Championship game and play a classic game that is decided by less than 3 points and or a score late in the game. The committee then has the ability to put both of these teams in the CFP because of what happens next.

Second, the PAC 12
With Stanford beating Washington. You now do not have any team in the PAC 12 with less than 2 losses. So they are out.

Third BIG 10
If Wisconsin loses today to Iowa (possible) or loses in the CCG to a 2 loss Ohio State Or 2 loss Mich St. Or they are simply are overlook by the committee because of their strength of schedule. My opinion is that if Wisconsin has even one loss and they win the CCG, there is a chance they wouldn’t get in.

So possibly the BIG 10 is out assuming a 2 loss East Champ beats Wisconsin in the CCG.

Fourth,
I will try to keep my brunch down when typing this. Notre Dame wins out after beating the canes today (mmmgh). By ND continuing to win this strengthens Georgia if they even do lose to Alabama in their CCG. Notre Dame wins out they are in the CFP.

Fifth,
The ACC, Miami loses to ND today and then loses to Clemson in the ACC CCG. BUT Clemson has either lost today against FSU (not likely) or to South Carolina at the end of their season (possible).
So when A 2 loss Clemson beats Miami in the CCG both will have 2 losses.
ACC is then out.

Lastly,
The Big 12 ends up with a 1 loss champion either Oklahoma or TCU. If it is Oklahoma then that strengthens the BIG 10 not getting in because of the OU win over Ohio St.

So what you would then have for the CFP is
Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and the 1 loss winner of the BIG 12 let’s say Oklahoma.

You would then have 3 power 5 conferences not in the playoff and a lot of pissed off people which, in my opinion, would expedite the cause for an 8 team playoff format.

Discuss

Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference. They'll play one fewer game and are granted an exception because of it, unlike the Big 12 who have been punished for not having a championship game. At some point you have to at least have everyone held to some kind of standard. Being able to win a conference should be the most basic of them.

Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference. They'll play one fewer game and are granted an exception because of it, unlike the Big 12 who have been punished for not having a championship game. At some point you have to at least have everyone held to some kind of standard. Being able to win a conference should be the most basic of them.

Ohio State played one fewer game last year. The committee doesn't care.

Ohio State played one fewer game last year. The committee doesn't care.

I said they need to at least have the opportunity to win a conference championship. OSU had it, just didn't do it, and yes, the CFP Committee didn't care.

Not going to happen because nobody is going to pay for it unless TV ratings get better. What do you think your "Armageddon" scenario does to ratings?

I said they need to at least have the opportunity to win a conference championship. OSU had it, just didn't do it, and yes, the CFP Committee didn't care.

You said they'll play one fewer game. It's all moot at this point anyway. On to terrible Nebraska and terrible Maryland before we wrap up with an exhibition game.

You said they'll play one fewer game. It's all moot at this point anyway. On to terrible Nebraska and terrible Maryland before we wrap up with an exhibition game.

Said being able to win a conference championship
should be the most basic requirement for any team wanting to get into the CFP. But yeah - moot at
this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT