ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska news, discussions, etc

jtothemfp

Aug 24, 2010

Antrelle Taylor
Bubba Wilson(both known "before last season even ended" says Manning)
And now:
Lenny Pinto &
Silas Allred
All dropping down a weight.

GaBx6kuWgAAR1iG

Should be fun to watch the efficacy or lack thereof when this cutting Husker lineup meets Penn State's bumping lineup in Lincoln on 1/17/2025.

157: Kasak (3rd at 149) coming up to face a descending Antrelle Taylor (8th at 165)
165: Bubba Wilson (2024 non-qualifier, famously) (who Manning said in linked vid was unable to beat out Taylor at this weight last year) coming down to face the returning runnerup Mesenbrink
174: Lenny Pinto (R12) coming down from 184 to face Champ Haines who is bumping up 2 classes from 157
184: Silas Allred (R12) coming down to face 4x Champ Starocci who is bumping up 1 class

Reminder: Nebby did better than every other dual opponent last year, picking up 4 bout wins, including Pinto over Truax:
Screenshot_2024_0218_recap_psu_nebraska.jpg

So, better or worse in Lincoln this year?

Should be fun to watch the efficacy or lack thereof when this cutting Husker lineup meets Penn State's bumping lineup in Lincoln on 1/17/2025.

157: Kasak (3rd at 149) coming up to face a descending Antrelle Taylor (8th at 165)
165: Bubba Wilson (2024 non-qualifier, famously) (who Manning said in linked vid was unable to beat out Taylor at this weight last year) coming down to face the returning runnerup Mesenbrink
174: Lenny Pinto (R12) coming down from 184 to face Champ Haines who is bumping up 2 classes from 157
184: Silas Allred (R12) coming down to face 4x Champ Starocci who is bumping up 1 class

Reminder: Nebby did better than every other dual opponent last year, picking up 4 bout wins, including Pinto over Truax:
Screenshot_2024_0218_recap_psu_nebraska.jpg

So, better or worse in Lincoln this year?
On paper PSU wins a minimum of 8 bouts, likely 9, and an outside chance at 10. I wouldn't bet on it though because mid January is when the team has one of those Hell Weeks in the room and performs sluggishly.

Antrell Taylor is a natural 157 pounder. He was wrestling up last year and the plan the entire time was to move him back down once Robb graduated.

it's not really 'moving four guys down'

Taylor and Bubba have always been 57/65. it was just that PRobb was there.

and they've tinkered with Pinto at 74 for a few years now. I think he'll be fine, but he's a D11 knucklehead so it worries me a bit

Silas has already touched weight, so he should be fine.

clearly not a lineup that should threaten a title, but it does give them a Top 5ish chance.

clearly not a lineup that should threaten a title, but it does give them a Top 5ish chance.
Did they have to do all of this lineup juggling to have a Top 5 chance?

Returning points:
#TeamPts
1​
Penn State
130.0​
2​
Ohio State
62.0​
3​
Iowa
60.0​
4​
Nebraska
53.0​
5​
Oklahoma State
48.5​
6​
Northern Iowa
39.5​
7​
Iowa State
37.0​

I could see them getting bumped by OKST. UNI isn't a threat. Iowa State is, with Paniro back and Bastida healthy and Carroll in the lineup.

OTOH, Lovett is not finishing 6th again. So there's some buffer.

Taylor dropping makes sense, and IMO adds to that buffer. Wilson probably doesn't affect much either way. I'm less convinced of Pinto and Allred being optimal at lower weights -- and if they're not, that McDanel will make up the difference this year.

Guess we'll see as the season progresses.

it's not really 'moving four guys down'

Taylor and Bubba have always been 57/65. it was just that PRobb was there.

and they've tinkered with Pinto at 74 for a few years now. I think he'll be fine, but he's a D11 knucklehead so it worries me a bit

Silas has already touched weight, so he should be fine.

LOL if they are moving then they are moving that's all that counts!still wont beat PSU!

Reactions: Nitlion1986
McDanel must be looking good for this to be in motion. Though he was a 97 (213) in free so wonder if he's 197/285 tweener.

Returning points:
#TeamPts
1​
Penn State
130.0​
2​
Ohio State
62.0​
3​
Iowa
60.0​
4​
Nebraska
53.0​
5​
Oklahoma State
48.5​
6​
Northern Iowa
39.5​
7​
Iowa State
37.0​

I could see them getting bumped by OKST. UNI isn't a threat. Iowa State is, with Paniro back and Bastida healthy and Carroll in the lineup.

OTOH, Lovett is not finishing 6th again. So there's some buffer.

Taylor dropping makes sense, and IMO adds to that buffer. Wilson probably doesn't affect much either way. I'm less convinced of Pinto and Allred being optimal at lower weights -- and if they're not, that McDanel will make up the difference this year.

Guess we'll see as the season progresses.
Off-topic, but it must be so demoralizing as an opposing coach to see Penn State with 130 returning points, especially considering that, other than Penn State (seven times), only the following teams scored 130 points or more at the NCAA tournament in the last 50 years: Iowa (9-Gable w/8 and Brands w/1), Oklahoma State (2), Iowa State (1) and Minnesota (1).

Iowa has more than 60 returning points, unless we're talking it must be the same weight.

Ayala - 18.5
Parco - 11
Teemer - 17
Caliendo - 15
Buchanan - 17

So that 60 is to remove Drake moving up to 133. But by that math, PSU should be way under 130 since Kasak, Levi, Carter all shouldn't be counted.

Iowa has more than 60 returning points, unless we're talking it must be the same weight.

Ayala - 18.5
Parco - 11
Teemer - 17
Caliendo - 15
Buchanan - 17

So that 60 is to remove Drake moving up to 133. But by that math, PSU should be way under 130 since Kasak, Levi, Carter all shouldn't be counted.
You're right, I had the wrong year for Teemer and accidentally filtered him out.

The correct returning points should be
1 - PSU 130.0
2 - Iowa 77.0
3 - anOSU 62.0
rest unchanged

EDIT: I made the same mistake with Buchanan. Iowa returns 94.0 points.

I blame all of the extra Covid years for screwing up my tracking system.

Last edited:
Antrell and Bubba were always going 57/65. and Pinto and Allred tinkered with the idea of 74/84 last year.

but to answer your question, i'd assume the staff and individuals are doing what they think is best for them.

what the results will be, that remains to be seen.

getting an extra talent (McDanel, albeit in a loaded weight) is a good thing. unless you think Pinto and Allred are going to totally flatline i'm not sure i get what you're saying / insinuating though. It looks like a better line up to me (provided the pull isn't debilitating).

Antrell and Bubba were always going 57/65. and Pinto and Allred tinkered with the idea of 74/84 last year.

but to answer your question, i'd assume the staff and individuals are doing what they think is best for them.

what the results will be, that remains to be seen.

getting an extra talent (McDanel, albeit in a loaded weight) is a good thing. unless you think Pinto and Allred are going to totally flatline i'm not sure i get what you're saying / insinuating though. It looks like a better line up to me (provided the pull isn't debilitating).
Just that Nebraska looks like a top 5 team with Pinto and Allred staying put. So if the goal is a top 5 finish, then they didn't need to cut. (Except maybe to fend off Iowa State with their lineup changes and Bastida's health.)

Pinto and Allred were both R12 last year, and Allred won B10s in 2023. So both should make the podium anyway. How much higher do they finish by cutting? Maybe they do finish higher at 174/184 than they would've at 184/197, but it's TBD.

If that happens, then McDanel provides marginal improvement to the team score (as he's unlikely to make the podium). If either of them fails to make the podium, then from a team score perspective, they should've kept Pinto and Allred at 184/197 and shirted McDanel. (Though the change likely makes them a better duals team.)

Agreed, this is what the coaches and athletes think is best, so sure, give it a shot. I'm just skeptical of it changing their being a top 5 team at nationals (again, except possibly holding off Iowa State).

Just that Nebraska looks like a top 5 team with Pinto and Allred staying put.
i see what you're saying.

idk - I might be more apt to lean your way had Silas and Pinto got on the podium previously but it hasn't happened.

that being said, i do agree that there's a chance it results in only a marginal increase.

Reactions: El-Jefe

idk - I might be more apt to lean your way had Silas and Pinto got on the podium previously but it hasn't happened.

that being said, i do agree that there's a chance it results in only a marginal increase.

The returning points data showing them as 4th now included Pinto and Allred both being R12.

Looking at both weights, I could see this being a small boost at nationals. Allred probably finishes a little higher at 184 than he would've at 197. Pinto's differential is much harder to judge (with Levi, O'Toole, and Hamiti all moving up), but he'll probably finish in the same range as he would've at 184.

If Allred scores more and Pinto stays the same, the team scores more. #math

The other component to them being a top 5 team is: how many more points OKST and ISU will score above returning pts. I'm too lazy to figure that out. But maybe that will take Nebraska scraping every point they can get.

Also, seriously doubt Manning has looked at it this way. Too many variables between now and March. Just where he thinks his guys will do their best.

the difficult thing, imo, in trying to assess this is the end of the season woes for both of them, in their first two years.

four total cracks, zero AA's. "could they" and "will they" have proven different things.

hell Silas won B10s and beat Dean twice and still didn't AA that year.

Reactions: vhsalum and El-Jefe

Ayala - 18.5
Parco - 11
Teemer - 17
Caliendo - 15
Buchanan - 17

Yeah, but Parco, Teemer and Buchanan aren't used to wrestling with shoulder braces.

Willie!!

tried to make an account on intermatforums today. Then it said "sender blacklisted" - what in the hell?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT