ADVERTISEMENT

New WHKY coach

Evan Ceg

Mar 1, 2003
Leesburg, VA
Princeton women's hockey coach Jeff Kampersal was announced by ICA today as the new PSU women's hockey coach. Kampersal was at Princeton 21 years and it's reasonable to assume that former Princeton's men's hockey coach Guy Gadowski was a big factor in convincing Kampersal to come to Happy Valley.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/060117aaa.html

This announcement comes as a surprise to people who follow NCAA hockey as it was widely assumed that WHKY interim head coach Dean Jackson would get the job. When Jackson was hired as an assistant to Josh Brandwene, it appeared that Penn State was hiring Brandwene's heir apparent, given that Brandwene was under fire a year ago for alleged emotional abuse of some of his squad members. When Brandwene took a leave of absence in mid-season for "family medical issues," the plan, if indeed there was one, appeared to be falling into place.

For whatever reason, Penn State decided not to elevate Jackson, who was very successful at D-III Elmira College before coming to Penn State last September. Yesterday, Cornell WHKY announced that Jackson had taken an assistant job under the well-regarded Doug Darraugh.

Reactions: Sharkies and Bob78
That's good. Brandwene had to go. Whether his problem was recruiting, preparation, in-game coaching or whatever, the women were non-competitive and terrible.

Now I've never coached women, but I imagine the players are competitive. There are probably a few delicate little flowers, but most players understand that when you're playing D1, it's not club sports, it's for real. Most understand that the coaches are not there to tell them how wonderful they are. Most understand that this is a tough sport and that at this level, sacrifices are going to have to be made.

So whatever was going on, I'm happy to give 85% of the blame to Brandwene. Hopefully the new guy can get them on the right track.

12695392.jpeg

Like Guy Gadowsky, Kampersal comes to Happy Valley from Princeton. See the link below. From the article:

"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.-- Penn State Director of Athletics Sandy Barbour has announced the appointment of Jeff Kampersal as the second head coach in the history of the women's hockey program. One of the nation's most successful coaches, Kampersal (Camp-er-saul) comes to Happy Valley after serving as the head coach at Princeton for the past 21 seasons, where he won 327 contests.

"We are thrilled to have Jeff Kampersal joining our family as the leader of the Penn State women's hockey program," Barbour said. "Jeff has developed one of the nation's top women's hockey programs at Princeton and is among the sport's most respected and successful coaches.

"Jeff has recruited and developed students who have earned distinguished success in their academic and athletic pursuits," Barbour added. "He's a perfect fit for our promise of preparing students for a lifetime of impact. We are excited about the experience and leadership Jeff will bring to Penn State and look forward to building the women's hockey program into one that competes for championships."

"Thank you to my wife Eileen and my children, Keira and Jack, for their strength, love and support as I accept the incredible opportunity to coach the women's ice hockey team at The Pennsylvania State University," Kampersal said. "Thank you to Sandy Barbour, Mike Cross and the search committee at Penn State. After participating in the interview process and spending some time on campus, it is hard not to notice the genuine passion everyone has for Penn State. WE ARE! is real. I am so excited to be part of the Nittany Lion family."

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/060117aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT