ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

It probably has more to do with the fact that the guy has been a basketball coach for thirty years and has never spent any of them in college.

What do we have to lose? Philly kids would probably know who he is more than the other candidates mentioned, and we have nowhere to go but up at this point. The question is, would he take the job and is he affordable?

We'll never know if we don't at least ask.

Are we really sure PSU is going to 100% hire a minority for this job? If Beilein wants it I feel like it's a done deal.

There should be minority candidates interviewed without a doubt. At the end of the day, the best person for the basketball program should get the job. IMO, that's an experienced guy who brings instant credibility to the program. I recently said Phil Marteli should get a look because of his experience and ties to Philly. Then I got to thinking... why is it that Michigan State has no trouble recruiting inner city kids to East Lansing? It's not like there is a ton of difference between State College and East Lansing. Kids are going to go to a program with a proven head coach who can win and get them to the next level. We obviously aren't getting a Tom Izzo hire, but I'll be damned if John Beilien isn't the closest thing to it on the market.

Gates’ Cleveland State team just banked in a 3 to send it to triple OT at home against IPFW in the Horizon quarters. But it isn’t nearly the craziest game of the night in that tourney...

Wright State, the best team in the conference, suffering a horrific loss tonight at home to Milwaukee. Wright St was up 69-45 with under 8 minutes left (with the ball) and 73-56 with 4:53 left. Ended up losing it in OT.

edit - Cleveland State ended up winning it 108-104 in 3 OTs. They’d now be considered the favorite to win the Horizon, though it’s pretty wide open.
Up 24 with 8 min to go is virtually impossible. Same with up 17 with 5 left. Even if you take a 30 second shot clock violation every posession you basically only need to keep the other team from getting 3 point possessions to win.

Gates’ Cleveland State team just banked in a 3 to send it to triple OT at home against IPFW in the Horizon quarters. But it isn’t nearly the craziest game of the night in that tourney...

Wright State, the best team in the conference, suffering a horrific loss tonight at home to Milwaukee. Wright St was up 69-45 with under 8 minutes left (with the ball) and 73-56 with 4:53 left. Ended up losing it in OT.

edit - Cleveland State ended up winning it 108-104 in 3 OTs. They’d now be considered the favorite to win the Horizon, though it’s pretty wide open.
So Wright State Penn Stated it.

Are we really sure PSU is going to 100% hire a minority for this job? If Beilein wants it I feel like it's a done deal.

There should be minority candidates interviewed without a doubt. At the end of the day, the best person for the basketball program should get the job. IMO, that's an experienced guy who brings instant credibility to the program. I recently said Phil Marteli should get a look because of his experience and ties to Philly. Then I got to thinking... why is it that Michigan State has no trouble recruiting inner city kids to East Lansing? It's not like there is a ton of difference between State College and East Lansing. Kids are going to go to a program with a proven head coach who can win and get them to the next level. We obviously aren't getting a Tom Izzo hire, but I'll be damned if John Beilien isn't the closest thing to it on the market.
You really haven’t been paying attention to what’s going on these days, have you? Best candidate? Now that’s funny.

Up 24 with 8 min to go is virtually impossible. Same with up 17 with 5 left. Even if you take a 30 second shot clock violation every posession you basically only need to keep the other team from getting 3 point possessions to win.
It's easier to do when you turn the ball over 5 times in that stretch and keep chucking up 3 pointers instead of working the clock and taking good shots.

It's easier to do when you turn the ball over 5 times in that stretch and keep chucking up 3 pointers instead of working the clock and taking good shots.
Yeah I figured something like that must have happened lose in that manner.

Looking at the game, I even missed stating the spot where Pomeroy gave them their greatest chance of winning...they scored to go up 72-48 with 6:26 left. Pomeroy gave Milwaukee a 0.0% chance of winning. Obviously rounded, but means it was less than .05%, or 1 in 2000. It's only the 2nd game since Ken kept tracking it in 2010 where a team won while having a chance of winning that rounded to 0.

Quite an exciting season to be a Milwaukee fan, as they also have the 2nd most unlikely win this season. On January 23rd against Gates' Cleveland State team, CSU was up 14 with the ball with under 2:30 left, and Milwaukee came back to send it to overtime where they won it.

Last edited:

Martelli was fired at St Joe because he stopped recruiting. He just got tired of it.

Looking at the game, I even missed stating the spot where Pomeroy gave them their greatest chance of winning...they scored to go up 72-48 with 6:26 left. Pomeroy gave Milwaukee a 0.0% chance of winning. Obviously rounded, but means it was less than .05%, or 1 in 2000. It's only the 2nd game since Ken kept tracking it in 2010 where a team won while having a chance of winning that rounded to 0.

Quite an exciting season to be a Milwaukee fan, as they also have the 2nd most unlikely win this season. On January 23rd against Gates' Cleveland State team, CSU was up 14 with the ball with under 2:30 left, and Milwaukee came back to send it to overtime where they won it.
Damn, so up 24 with six and a half minutes to go. Even if the other team comes down and hits a 3 within 10 seconds you are still up 21 with 6:15 left in the game. The clock at that point still runs on made baskets so if you can run 30 seconds off your self and then even if they score within 15 seconds that would leave eight possessions for each team. What a terrible job of handling the ball and the time.

There is very little to suggest that Penn State is willing to pony up the investment needed to land Beilein. It isn't as though the search has been exclusively confined to AA candidates. They've talked to a bunch of people. The fact that Beilein hasn't been connected to this job speaks to the disparity in what he wants versus what Penn State is willing to give. Beilein's last three jobs were the NBA (high investment), Michigan (high investment) and West Virginia (high investment). Penn State would need to make a significantly increased investment (many millions of dollars) in basketball - both in coaching salaries and in facilities/operating costs - to give Beilein similar tools to what he's been working with for the past twenty years.

I am sure they could. They could do worse. What I was saying is I do not think we would see that wow factor with him like say Memphis did with Penny.
But Memphis has great tradition in basketball. It’s a big name former NBA player matched with a program that has lots of basketball cred. DS to Penn State might be a bigger splash because it’s a place with little tradition, or might make little to no splash because nobody cares. The name is what drives the splash in our situation.

If PSU was willing to invest in a Beilin hire, the recruits would come along with wins and increased interest/attendance. Unfortunately this AD and BOT do not seem interested in a real investment in the bball program.

Reactions: NC2017

I was hoping for us to interview Anthony Grant back when we hired DeChellis.

But Memphis has great tradition in basketball. It’s a big name former NBA player matched with a program that has lots of basketball cred. DS to Penn State might be a bigger splash because it’s a place with little tradition, or might make little to no splash because nobody cares. The name is what drives the splash in our situation.

I understand that and agree with that....where I differ is I don't think the name DS has the clout that some on here do.

Reactions: bison13
I understand that and agree with that....where I differ is I don't think the name DS has the clout that some on here do.
In general the kids that I coach they don't know anything other than the current NBA players. They barely know guys like Dwayne Wade anymore he's only been retired for a couple years. Everything with these kids is LeBron and Steph and Harden and you'd be surprised how few of them know that guys who commentators for NBA shows we're players. The one NBA show with Paul Pierce and Richard Jefferson only two kids on my team knew that Richard Jefferson played in the NBA.

To me the sadder part is that because they're so caught up with the current NBA players they don't even understand how good guys like Magic Johnson Larry Bird Karl Malone Patrick Ewing John Stockton were.

HS coaches, AAU coaches, parents and "handlers" all know who he is. Its not like they expect current players to be their college coach.

To me the sadder part is that because they're so caught up with the current NBA players they don't even understand how good guys like Magic Johnson Larry Bird Karl Malone Patrick Ewing John Stockton were.

When Johnson, Bird, Malone, Ewing, Stockton, etc. were the current NBA players, people of our age were chided for not understanding how good guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, George Mikan, Bill Russell, etc. were. Understanding is always clouded by familiarity.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
In general the kids that I coach they don't know anything other than the current NBA players. They barely know guys like Dwayne Wade anymore he's only been retired for a couple years. Everything with these kids is LeBron and Steph and Harden and you'd be surprised how few of them know that guys who commentators for NBA shows we're players. The one NBA show with Paul Pierce and Richard Jefferson only two kids on my team knew that Richard Jefferson played in the NBA.

You are a breath of fresh air!!!! This is what I was saying yesterday and got plastered for it. I said I'd ask the basketball players in my classes and my son and his friends who are in the 13-15 range. Here are my results:

Do you know who Damon Stoudamire is?

18 year old college basketball players (3): Didn't he play in the league in about 20 years ago?

13-15 year olds: who?

You are a breath of fresh air!!!! This is what I was saying yesterday and got plastered for it. I said I'd ask the basketball players in my classes and my son and his friends who are in the 13-15 range. Here are my results:

Do you know who Damon Stoudamire is?

18 year old college basketball players (3): Didn't he play in the league in about 20 years ago?

13-15 year olds: who?
But you keep misunderstanding how the full analysis goes. Those answers in a vacuum mean little. Those answers relative to the corresponding answers for a list of competitor coaches have more meaning. If these kids (mostly) know only current NBA players, then I have to think their familiarity with less popular college coaches is more on par with what you got on DS. The question you should be trying to answer is at what relative disadvantage is he, if any, among feasible candidates?

Go through the Top 25 and tell me how many of the coaches of those teams have instant name recognition with teenage basketball players. Bet you'll find a lot of kids, particularly east of the Mississippi, who don't know who Mark Few is. But when Mark Few calls a HS coach, you can be sure the coach takes the call. And when the coach tells his player that Mark Few called about him and the kid says "huh?" the coach says, "Mark Few, the head coach of Gonzaga, dummy" and he's got the kid's attention.

The recruiting connection is to HS coaches. If a college coach has no name recognition, it helps to be from the area and know people. Stoudamire has name recognition where it's needed. He'll get a hearing in most cases. And of he doesn't, it's because he's the coach of Pacific, or Penn State, not because he's Damon Stoudamire.

But you keep misunderstanding how the full analysis goes. Those answers in a vacuum mean little. Those answers relative to the corresponding answers for a list of competitor coaches have more meaning. If these kids (mostly) know only current NBA players, then I have to think their familiarity with less popular college coaches is more on par with what you got on DS. The question you should be trying to answer is at what relative disadvantage is he, if any, among feasible candidates?

That wasn't the question I originally answered yesterday. The original question I believe was a response to me saying that DS wasn't going to move the needle that much to make a difference.

To try an answer your question. There is no disadvantage of DS, most of the candiates don't move the needle.

With that being said there is no advantage either.

If he is a good coach then get him. If he can't coach but people think his name will recruit then you don't.

Way more simple that the "smarter than the board" answer you just gave.

ESPN+ article on the coaching carousel...

Penn State: Pat Chambers resigned in October following an investigation into his conduct, and the Nittany Lions appointed Jim Ferry as the interim boss. It sounds like they've recently started to dive into the search, with some emerging names including Gates, Shrewsberry, Michigan assistant coach Saddi Washington and Vermont's John Becker. One interesting name mentioned by sources was Montana's Travis DeCuire, whose time as an assistant coach at Cal overlapped with the Berkeley leadership of Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour. The Nittany Lions also reached out to former Ohio State coach Thad Matta, but that didn't gather much steam. Keep an eye on Shrewsberry here.

Reactions: Nittany Security2
Are you watching the PSU game?

ESPN+ article on the coaching carousel...

Penn State: Pat Chambers resigned in October following an investigation into his conduct, and the Nittany Lions appointed Jim Ferry as the interim boss. It sounds like they've recently started to dive into the search, with some emerging names including Gates, Shrewsberry, Michigan assistant coach Saddi Washington and Vermont's John Becker. One interesting name mentioned by sources was Montana's Travis DeCuire, whose time as an assistant coach at Cal overlapped with the Berkeley leadership of Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour. The Nittany Lions also reached out to former Ohio State coach Thad Matta, but that didn't gather much steam. Keep an eye on Shrewsberry here.

I do not fvcking believe this! I was going to pop in DeCuire's name early in this thread. Maybe as a joke. Then I thought that, yeah, Barbour would do something like this. But then I thought that not even Barbour would do it, it's just too absurd.

By way of background, DeCuire was Mike Montgomery's top assistant at Cal. When Montgomery "retired" (ahem), Barbour wanted to give DeCuire the job in the worst way. She was overruled (and I'm told the discussions were not pleasant) and Cal, pretty much without Barbour's involvement, hired Cuonzo Martin. DeCuire then returned to his alma mater, Montana, to become HC.

Talk about cheap. DeCuire makes somewhere between $200k-$300k (his contract has a really weird bonus structure).

The old battleaxe just might do it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I like DeCuire as a coach and can definitely see him ending up at a Power 5 school same day, but we aren’t the right geographical fit for him.

I like DeCuire as a coach and can definitely see him ending up at a Power 5 school same day, but we aren’t the right geographical fit for him.

If Barbour has the opportunity, she'll hire him.

I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to get Shrewsberry...unfortunately, it would make most PSU fans on this board say "ugh, who? Sandy doesn't care about basketball and we needed to hire a big name coach".

I do not fvcking believe this! I was going to pop in DeCuire's name early in this thread. Maybe as a joke. Then I thought that, yeah, Barbour would do something like this. But then I thought that not even Barbour would do it, it's just too absurd.

By way of background, DeCuire was Mike Montgomery's top assistant at Cal. When Montgomery "retired" (ahem), Barbour wanted to give DeCuire the job in the worst way. She was overruled (and I'm told the discussions were not pleasant) and Cal, pretty much without Barbour's involvement, hired Cuonzo Martin. DeCuire then returned to his alma mater, Montana, to become HC.

Talk about cheap. DeCuire makes somewhere between $200k-$300k (his contract has a really weird bonus structure).

The old battleaxe just might do it.
No level of Sandy’s incompetency would surprise me.

Reactions: bison13
I only just read about him after seeing his name in this thread. He has a good record at Montana and was Big Sky coach of the year in 2018. I agree the geography takes him out of his recruiting comfort zone but he might be a good coach. It wouldn’t be a totally off the wall hire.

Tyrone Nesby's LinkedIn page says he is an aspiring NCAA coach. He's familiar with the area, has NBA and D1 experience as a player. Only coaching experience is AAU and the high school level. Then again Jerry Stackhouse, Penny Hardaway, Juwan Howard, and Patrick Ewing all had zero college coaching experience too.

I don't think it happens, but is it possible PSU goes this route with a former player with next to no real experience?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT