ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

Anthony Grant, current Dayton Flyers coach would be a good match with our current players. He plays an up tempo style game, he runs a clean program and is a seemingly fresh (young) face and a good looking young man. I watched them play today and his team plays hard and fought till the end. In game coaching is something that still needs to be developed.

Anthony Grant is not leaving UD. He has a great contract, he is a UD alum and their arena and fan support are oustanding. He also has a great class coming in for next year. First class guy. UD is a basketball school.

Plus he isn’t a woman.

Reactions: lunsmooth
Don’t you think he could tell kids to google him, or better yet, have an assistant AD for coach publicity create a snazzy bio that they could tweet out for DS.
Many kids probably wouldn't recognize the name today but it wouldn't take long until they realized who and what he was.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Shrewsbury from purdue, Washington from Michigan or Stephens from msu, who would be the best of those three?

Shrewsbury from purdue, Washington from Michigan or Stephens from msu, who would be the best of those three?
I’ve been on the Shrewsberry bandwagon...surround him with a coaching vet and two young recruiters (maybe even keep Talor) with Philly/NYC/DMV connections. I’d suggest Dr John Giannini as the vet.

Our last 2 coaching hires, who both came from successful mid major programs, have not exactly been tremendously successful, so maybe it’s time to try an assistant from a Big Ten program. I like Shrewsbury’s experience in working for Brad Stephens at both the college and professional level.

Our last 2 coaching hires, who both came from successful mid major programs, have not exactly been tremendously successful, so maybe it’s time to try an assistant from a Big Ten program. I like Shrewsbury’s experience in working for Brad Stephens at both the college and professional level.
Agree. I think the nba work is big but never know with psu...

OK, Because Sandy, Barron, and everyone on this board cares...I have made my decision for the next MBB Coach.

We need Saddi Washington from Michigan.

1. 247 Sports recruiter of the year last year.
2. Built his chops under Nate Oats, John Beilien, and Juwan Howard. Quite an impressive list.
3. He can bring a guy like Martelli as his mentor/bench/program coach. I'd say Ferry would be perfect but that would be a difficult situation.

I am all in on this guy which means you can cross him off your list.

OK, Because Sandy, Barron, and everyone on this board cares...I have made my decision for the next MBB Coach.

We need Saddi Washington from Michigan.

1. 247 Sports recruiter of the year last year.
2. Built his chops under Nate Oats, John Beilien, and Juwan Howard. Quite an impressive list.
3. He can bring a guy like Martelli as his mentor/bench/program coach. I'd say Ferry would be perfect but that would be a difficult situation.

I am all in on this guy which means you can cross him off your list.
Worked ok for urban and Fickell and O$U.

Rumor that a new coach to be named this week.....anyone have any info on this?
It makes sense relative to the recommitment of Elijah Hutchins-Everett. Maybe the new coach contacted him about his interest if he was the coach. Would make total sense if Ferry was retained.

I doubt New coach would be announced until b10 conference tourney is complete or at least until after psu goes out. Last few games announcers have said the team and Ferry believe they have another run in them. With how crazy things have been and how close the team has been in most games I can see it happen. Glass half full until it’s drank.

Well one step in the right direction. Elijah Everett who is definitely a talent out of NJ recommitted which I see was already mentioned. Now get the others back and it is a really solid class. A Big Ten Tourny run would go a long way.

Ferry will somehow win 3 tourney games and be signed to a 5 year contract. 😳😉

I think if it was going to be Ferry they would've already announced it. There would be no point in waiting until the season was over. I also think that even if they hire Ferry that at a minimum Urgo would leave. I'm somewhat surprised that he didn't leave with Chambers, but thats probably due to the money. Condon will also probably leave. Players and assistants are recruited and hired by the head coach.

I think the recommitment of Elijah Everett is an indicator that the new head coach decision has been made. No way this kid makes the decision to recommit at this point unless someone whispered in his ear about who the new coach will be. His recommitment to me is a sign that the new coach is someone kids want to play for, which is very encouraging.

I think the recommitment of Elijah Everett is an indicator that the new head coach decision has been made. No way this kid makes the decision to recommit at this point unless someone whispered in his ear about who the new coach will be. His recommitment to me is a sign that the new coach is someone kids want to play for, which is very encouraging.
And could be Ferry.

This team plays hard and they appear to like Ferry based on watching their reactions to him. I want Ferry. He'll need to pull an assistant from Temple/St Joe's/LaSalle/Drexel to be the lead Philadelphia area guy. Essentially a recruiter that has been in the trenches, knows Philly recruiting, and everyone in Philly knows him.

I think if it was going to be Ferry they would've already announced it. There would be no point in waiting until the season was over. I also think that even if they hire Ferry that at a minimum Urgo would leave. I'm somewhat surprised that he didn't leave with Chambers, but thats probably due to the money. Condon will also probably leave. Players and assistants are recruited and hired by the head coach.

Sandy doesn’t want our OUTRAGE. o_O distracting the team during the season.

This team plays hard and they appear to like Ferry based on watching their reactions to him. I want Ferry. He'll need to pull an assistant from Temple/St Joe's/LaSalle/Drexel to be the lead Philadelphia area guy. Essentially a recruiter that has been in the trenches, knows Philly recruiting, and everyone in Philly knows him.
I really don't think it is Ferry. If that's who Sandy decided to go with, I see absolutely no reason to wait to announce it. The earlier a Ferry announcement is made, the earlier Ferry can start to really recruit.

Reactions: bison13
Never let the players decide who the next coach will be....that doesn’t work out well and those players will be gone soon any way.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Stop with your BS. I didn't say that and you know I didn't.
You said the players play hard and appear to like him....so what are you basing your opinion that we should keep him on? So it is what you said.

I really don't think it is Ferry. If that's who Sandy decided to go with, I see absolutely no reason to wait to announce it. The earlier a Ferry announcement is made, the earlier Ferry can start to really recruit.
I have know idea if it's Ferry, but I'd like it to be Ferry. There are many reasons that he wouldn't have been announced including; Not knowing what you had? Doing diligence on an important hire? and many others. I didn't think he was the guy at the beginning of season and would not have considered him back in December, but fast forward to today after watching almost every game this season and I'd take him in a New York minute.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Ferry has made an excellent audition for a mid-major job. Kudos to Ferry and the staff for keeping this team playing hard all season in very difficult circumstances. But I'm still skeptical that Ferry can recruit better than Chambers, which is what we need to do going forward. I suspect Barbour wants a clean slate, although I could see someone like Talor Battle or one or two of the operations staff being retained by the new coach.

I agree that the players should never pick their coach, although it's politically prudent to at least get their input initially.

I have Dennis Gates at the top of my wish list, but there are four or five other rumored candidates that I'd be happy with. Barbour's twice spoken assertion that we'll name a new coach as soon as our season is over has me a bit perplexed, as I assume our candidates (HCs/ACs) will be coaching in The Dance. John Beilein (I doubt he wants the job) and Yale's James Jones are the only mentioned candidates that aren't coaching right now.

I'm interested to see where Chambers lands once the coaching carousel stops spinning.

Last edited:
So you have no intelligent response and you come up with this....brilliant. Ferry would be a horrible choice so it makes sense you like it.
Do everyone a favor.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder Center - Louisville, KY

Ferry has made an excellent audition for a mid-major job. Kudos to Ferry and the staff for keeping this team playing hard all season in very difficult circumstances. But I'm still skeptical that Ferry can recruit better than Chambers, which is what we need to do going forward. I suspect Barbour wants a clean slate, although I could see someone like Talor Battle or one or two of the operations staff being retained by the new coach.

I agree that the players should never pick their coach, although it's politically prudent to at least get their input initially.

I have Dennis Gates at the top of my wish list, but there are four or five other rumored candidates that I'd be happy with. Barbour's twice spoken assertion that we'll name a new coach as soon as our season is over has me a bit perplexed, as I assume our candidates (HCs/ACs) will be coaching in The Dance. John Beilein (I doubt he wants the job) and Yale's James Jones are the only mentioned candidates that aren't coaching right now.

I'm interested to see where Chambers lands once the coaching carousel stops spinning.
I could see us announcing an Assistant that’s coaching a team that is still alive, and him sticking it out until his team is done...but definitely not a head coach (ruling out guys like Gates and Langel if we were to announce in the next week).

But I'm still skeptical that Ferry can recruit better than Chambers, which is what we need to do going forward.

I would love to have Ferry be named if I thought he could out recruit Chambers, but like you, I don't. I think we've seen what a good in-game coach Ferry is. Most plays out of timeouts are successful and the players play hard for him. I think if he was a good recruiter, he would have had more success than he did at Duquesne because we've seen, he can coach in the games.

I would love to have Ferry be named if I thought he could out recruit Chambers, but like you, I don't. I think we've seen what a good in-game coach Ferry is. Most plays out of timeouts are successful and the players play hard for him. I think if he was a good recruiter, he would have had more success than he did at Duquesne because we've seen, he can coach in the games.
In the last 15 years in his previous two head coaching gigs, he has a losing record. At Duquesne, he had four losing seasons out of five and the other was a .500 season. That doesn’t scream he can coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT