ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

MICAH SHREWSBERRY!

So does Sandy get a “good job” on the hire if Micah is in fact our new BB coach? I would suspect he would only be accepting the job if it included resources for facilities and assistants. He seems well qualified and has good coaching experience. If he can bring his recruits from Purdue with him we could be in good shape for next year, depending of course on what current players may decide to do.

Reactions: bison13
Maybe it will be Shrewsberry, but I doubt the Collegian knows for sure.

All hiring is a gamble. Shrewsberry, having no meaningful record as a head coach, projects high on the risk/reward scale. Some assistant is going to be a HoF coach, the challenge is predicting whom that is. I'll be pleased if Shrewsberry, or whomever is Barbour's choice, can consistently put us in the first division of the B1G.

I'm concerned that if the Minnesota or Indiana job opens in the next week or so, we could lose our top candidate(s). Does Barbour already have the new coach under contract and is simply waiting now for the best time to announce the appointment?

Last edited:
Get ready for Rick Pittino's name to start getting talked about since Iona is one win away from the Tourney

Reactions: psu00
I'm concerned that if the Minnesota or Indiana job opens in the next week or so, we could lose our top candidate(s). Does Barbour already have the new coach under contract and is simply waiting now for the best time to announce the appointment?
Indiana will be looking at a completely different candidate pool than us...even Minnesota will likely be looking at a much different group.

I know it’s a student newspaper, but can’t believe that they would say Shrewsberry was hired if not a fact.

MICAH SHREWSBERRY!

So does Sandy get a “good job” on the hire if Micah is in fact our new BB coach? I would suspect he would only be accepting the job if it included resources for facilities and assistants. He seems well qualified and has good coaching experience. If he can bring his recruits from Purdue with him we could be in good shape for next year, depending of course on what current players may decide to do.

No, she gets a "good job" if he comes to PSU and wins.

Something about this seems wrong is it just me? Not that the info is false just the timing seems off.
They probably didn’t want to leak anything until both Penn State and Purdue were done with Big Ten tournament. Then, the press conference is on the next business day, but prior to Purdue going to the NCAAs. I wouldn’t be surprised if Shrewsberry continues with Purdue during their NCAA run, and Ferry continues with Penn State during their (fingers crossed) NIT run.

That rumor was already making the message board rounds a couple days ago. Jed is probably just repeating that rumor.

They probably didn’t want to leak anything until both Penn State and Purdue were done with Big Ten tournament. Then, the press conference is on the next business day, but prior to Purdue going to the NCAAs. I wouldn’t be surprised if Shrewsberry continues with Purdue during their NCAA run, and Ferry continues with Penn State during their (fingers crossed) NIT run.
I'd think it would be a good indicator that there won't be any NIT in our future.

Shrewsberry pulls a rutgres recruit during his introductory press conference:

“Before Sandy Barbour called me, I didn’t know Penn State had a basketball program.”

Shrewsberry pulls a rutgres recruit during his introductory press conference:

“Before Sandy Barbour called me, I didn’t know Penn State had a basketball program.”
And even after she called, he still wasn’t sure.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Why? I'd think the timing lines up pretty well with what I would have expected...perfect timing between the conference tournies and the NCAAs, and he can fully start in the role once Purdue is knocked out.
I think I phrased it wrong.. not so much timing as he seems to be making a major announcement ahead everyone else in the media. Unless like what was stated above he's getting his info from message boards.

Hope it’s true. He is a Franklin clone and a great hire. Hoping the current roster stays around. This group could be good if they hang around.
How can it be a great hire when all the geniuses on this board don’t think Sandy is capable of making a good decision?

Reactions: Ian
MICAH SHREWSBERRY!

This one is a good hire. It makes sense.

First good hiring decision since Dick Harter or maybe Parkhill

Coincidentally, the first one since the 1980s that was not made by the former AD. He messed up our basketball program beyond belief. It literally took 30 years to get out from under his decisions

Not surprised that Sandy did a good job with the hire. An automated email program would have done a better job of hiring than what we saw in the 90s and 00s.

• Wow
Reactions: psu1969a

if he really has been hired and Ferry let go as interim, wouldn't a large number of people at PSU including BOT already know this? seems really hard to keep secrets in that situation. seems like very asst coach we lose in FB is out there right away.

if he really has been hired and Ferry let go as interim, wouldn't a large number of people at PSU including BOT already know this? seems really hard to keep secrets in that situation. seems like very asst coach we lose in FB is out there right away.

It would be classic PSU if they are holding the announcement until they find out if we are in the NIT, and the NIT makes the whole deal fall through.

It would be classic PSU if they are holding the announcement until they find out if we are in the NIT, and the NIT makes the whole deal fall through.

wow! that would be pretty incompetent. not completing the agreement/contract until after a useless tournament that nobody watches in normal times, seems kind of stupid.

I was thinking when an announcement like this is being made that the contract is signed. if that were true, there would be a boat load of people in the know and part of all the admin transactions. payroll and IT would already know, plus Ferry would have been terminated. If this is Barber talking totally privately to Shrewsberry and getting an "understanding" would be a long way from a new MBB coach.

wow! that would be pretty incompetent. not completing the agreement/contract until after a useless tournament that nobody watches in normal times, seems kind of stupid.

it would not be the first time in PSU history that this level of ineptitude would have taken place. For example, the story of why Jay Wright is Villanova's coach and not PSU's coach, is not too far off from this.

But hopefully those days are behind us. My guess is that Shrewsberrry is in the mix for more than one job and we just haven't closed the deal yet. I do not believe that Jed has inside info.

This one is a good hire. It makes sense.

First good hiring decision since Dick Harter or maybe Parkhill

Coincidentally, the first one since the 1980s that was not made by the former AD. He messed up our basketball program beyond belief. It literally took 30 years to get out from under his decisions

Not surprised that Sandy did a good job with the hire. An automated email program would have done a better job of hiring than what we saw in the 90s and 00s.
I’m not sure how we know this is a good hire since he has a limited track record.

It’s all coming together...and based on the timing, I think Shrewsberry does make sense.

It’s all coming together...and based on the timing, I think Shrewsberry does make sense.
The compensation meeting is open to the public, so I assume the formal announcement would happen earlier in the day or even tonight. Otherwise it would be a very strange way of finding out who got the job

Reactions: Nittany Security2
Are there any other executive-level positions that PSU was on the brink of hiring? That's the only other reason there could be a pop up compensation committee meeting.

Are there any other executive-level positions that PSU was on the brink of hiring? That's the only other reason there could be a pop up compensation committee meeting.
Dunno but it seems like this is probably for a new basketball coach’s contract. PSU said hey were going to announce very quickly and had the entire season to figure out who they wanted and put out feelers. In truth they probably began making lists for a new coach right after Chambers’ one game suspension a couple years ago

The compensation meeting is open to the public, so I assume the formal announcement would happen earlier in the day or even tonight. Otherwise it would be a very strange way of finding out who got the job

So they're going to vote on the BB coach's comp number in a public meeting? Guess there is a first for everything at PSU.

No, the executive session at 6pm is not open o the public.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT