ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

I haven't read pages 5 and 6 of this thread yet... but I hear that Shrew is our top target and has been in serious talks with us for a while now. It's not a done deal yet, but is getting there. I have no idea who #2 would be (maybe Gates?), but it is looking/sounding like Micah Shrewsberry will be our next coach.

Hopefully he can flip Jameel Brown now, being the lead recruiter for him at Purdue.

Reactions: pkg5002 and bison13
I think the recommitment of Elijah Everett is an indicator that the new head coach decision has been made. No way this kid makes the decision to recommit at this point unless someone whispered in his ear about who the new coach will be. His recommitment to me is a sign that the new coach is someone kids want to play for, which is very encouraging.
Unless if he found that other high-majors are holding their open ships right now, to gear up for the pending free agency of after the big dance. After not having anyone bigger than PSU jump in, he came back to PSU while the ship was still open.

The portal and the new transfer rule are really going to change the HS recruiting scene.

IMO - In the future, unless if you are a big time recruit, you will sign with a mid-major and prove yourself during that first year or two. The big boys/high majors will then use mid-major basketball as a farm league to choose from. Mid-majors will be full of freshmen and sophomores and there will be fewer freshman and sophomores at high-major schools. A proven sophomore is less of a risk than a 3* HS recruit.

Also, this will derail "cinderella stories" from low-mid-majors in the Big Dance.

Last edited:
I haven't read pages 5 and 6 of this thread yet... but I hear that Shrew is our top target and has been in serious talks with us for a while now. It's not a done deal yet, but is getting there. I have no idea who #2 would be (maybe Gates?), but it is looking/sounding like Micah Shrewsberry will be our next coach.

Hopefully he can flip Jameel Brown now, being the lead recruiter for him at Purdue.
Sounds like you have some inside info please share more.

HoopDirt.com, which usually has good inside sources on college basketball coaches, says today that Gates is the leader at Boston College where his wife is associate AD. Micah Shrewsberry also in the mix at BC. For Penn State, it's Gates and Shrewsberry, and HoopDirt adds Ohio U's Jeff Boals (former assistant to Thad Matta at tOSU) and Montana's Travis DeCuire (past affiliation with Barbour at Cal).

I think Barbour should bring in Gates as HC and his wife Jocelyn to replace Charmelle Green ;).

Has Duquesne ever recruited well or had basketball relevance?
Per wikipedia - The Associated Press ranked Duquesne as the No. 1 college basketball team in the country for two consecutive weeks during the 1953-54 season.

Guess its been a while since they recruited well. :)

Per wikipedia - The Associated Press ranked Duquesne as the No. 1 college basketball team in the country for two consecutive weeks during the 1953-54 season.

What no love for the "City Game"
21731000_1591045884272142_1858095747338012503_n.png

Norm Nixon played there in the '70s. Became a first round pick of the Lakers. Won some hardware with them too.

Yeah, they recruited pretty well back then. Two members of that team, Dick Ricketts and Si Green, wrre overall number one NBA picks.

Reactions: Parkland Fan

1954 was when we went to the final four I believe

Duquesne played in the NIT that year as the top seed and ended up losing in the championship game to Holy Cross.

Penn State finished 3rd in the NCAA tournament that year (back then, they had a 3rd place game).

I guess that was when the NCAA started to really overtake the NIT as the more prestigious tournament.

Penn State finished 9th in the final AP poll.

Reactions: psuguy43
Does it really matter?
It matters a hell of a lot more to me than signing a 4* quarterback 🤷‍♂️.

For real though, yes, it matters a lot to me. Please stay out of this thread if you're only going to troll

It matters a hell of a lot more to me than signing a 4* quarterback 🤷‍♂️.

For real though, yes, it matters a lot to me. Please stay out of this thread if you're only going to troll
I wasn't trolling- it's a serious question. I'll expand it a bit- Is PSU really going to be able to hire somebody who is good enough to make the program relevant without resorting to the kinds of "ethics" that seem to be the norm in too many of the top programs?

Yeah, they recruited pretty well back then. Two members of that team, Dick Ricketts and Si Green, wrre overall number one NBA picks.
And there were a lot fewer teams in the NBA that were drafting. A number one pick back then was almost like a lottery pick today.

I wasn't trolling- it's a serious question. I'll expand it a bit- Is PSU really going to be able to hire somebody who is good enough to make the program relevant without resorting to the kinds of "ethics" that seem to be the norm in too many of the top programs?
We did with our last hire, so why can’t we again?

Serious question. Do you think that the Ed DeChellis hire represented PSU even trying at all?

We don’t know the answer because they have hardly tried at all. Pat Chambers was the closest they came to actually trying since the 1980s

When a serious hire is unable to win in the Big Ten at PSU then we have the answer. But even the hapless Jerry Dunn was able to reach the tournament twice in six years and I have a hard time believing it can’t be done.

Duquesne was good in the late sixties with a guard named Willie Somerset and the seventies with a set of 6-11 twins, the Nelson brothers

Reactions: furfoot
Continuing the Duquesne discussion, they just completed a complete redo and expansion of their arena, the Cooper Fieldhouse, named for Duquesne alumnus Chuck Cooper. He was the first African American player drafted into the NBA.

UPMC_CF_Exterior-scaled-e1611959065253.jpg

Reactions: bison13
Continuing the Duquesne discussion, they just completed a complete redo and expansion of their arena, the Cooper Fieldhouse, named for Duquesne alumnus Chuck Cooper. He was the first African American player drafted into the NBA.

UPMC_CF_Exterior-scaled-e1611959065253.jpg

Kind of interesting that Duquesne's basketball arena carries the "UPMC" appellation.

BTW, one summer when I was working for the City of Pittsburgh's Parks and Recreation Department, I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck Cooper. One of the nicest people, ever. Passed away much too young.

I guess we have different definitions of "relevant" - Mine would be top ten-fifteen rankings on a consistent basis
Not to pile on but it seems to me that in order to accomplish that objective, PSU would have to commit $100 million to the program. A dedicated basketball only arena would have to be built with attached practice facilities for both men and women. Then the coaching salaries and scholarships would have to be endowed. Pretty much the same effort that brought hockey into varsity status. That’s not going to happen in my remaining lifetime, that’s for sure.

PLEASE!!! Come get Archie!! Great up and comer. That’s what we were told. Think he still could be, just not at IU.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT