ADVERTISEMENT

Next MBB coach!

I've seen lots of posts saying that Shrewsberry would be a good hire. Why? I don't follow this stuff close enough to have a clue. What's in his record to indicate he's a good hire? Thanks.

I've seen lots of posts saying that Shrewsberry would be a good hire. Why? I don't follow this stuff close enough to have a clue. What's in his record to indicate he's a good hire? Thanks.
An assistant on a very good Purdue staff, also assisted with Brad Stevens at Butler and in the NBA and was able to help bring in one of their top recruits at Purdue for this coming year who is a kid from Philly. So it would seem that he has some good inroads in recruiting as well.

Reactions: johnmpsu
An assistant on a very good Purdue staff, also assisted with Brad Stevens at Butler and in the NBA and was able to help bring in one of their top recruits at Purdue for this coming year who is a kid from Philly. So it would seem that he has some good inroads in recruiting as well.

Why would we care about that

We all know the only thing that matters is minimum degrees of separation from the Bruce Parkhill coaching tree.

😂

Assistant at Butler that coached on their back to back Championship game teams...went to Purdue for a few years, but when Stevens landed his NBA job, he thought highly enough of Shrewsberry to bring him to Boston...spent those 6 years coaching in the NBA...when he wanted to get back into college coaching, Painter thought highly enough about him to bring him back on at Purdue...known as a great x's and o's coach (and has coaching under a few of the best in the business, one of which I'd say is the best x's and o's guy coaching basketball today), and also has had a lot of success recruiting...known as an offensive guy...has the Big Ten region connections for recruiting, lead recruiter on a guy from Philly he got to verbal at Purdue, etc...former head coaching experience for a few years, albeit at the NAIA level.

And the bonus is that his son is a high school Sophomore that's going to be a highly recruited guard (this hire could make State High basketball fans very excited).

Shreswberry is going to land a job soon, and he's a guy that's highly enough thought of that he likely jumps the mid-major level and lands at a bigger program from the get go. Just hoping that program really is ours.

Assistant at Butler that coached on their back to back Championship game teams...went to Purdue for a few years, but when Stevens landed his NBA job, he thought highly enough of Shrewsberry to bring him to Boston...spent those 6 years coaching in the NBA...when he wanted to get back into college coaching, Painter thought highly enough about him to bring him back on at Purdue...known as a great x's and o's coach (and has coaching under a few of the best in the business, one of which I'd say is the best x's and o's guy coaching basketball today), and also has had a lot of success recruiting...known as an offensive guy...has the Big Ten region connections for recruiting, lead recruiter on a guy from Philly he got to verbal at Purdue, etc...former head coaching experience for a few years, albeit at the NAIA level.

And the bonus is that his son is a high school Sophomore that's going to be a highly recruited guard (this hire could make State High basketball fans very excited).

Shreswberry is going to land a job soon, and he's a guy that's highly enough thought of that he likely jumps the mid-major level and lands at a bigger program from the get go. Just hoping that program really is ours.
It is always a risk but this one seems worth it. The big ten is brutal and turning around PSU is one of the most difficult jobs in the country. Whoever gets this job needs to hit the ground running in recruiting right away.

It is always a risk but this one seems worth it. The big ten is brutal and turning around PSU is one of the most difficult jobs in the country. Whoever gets this job needs to hit the ground running in recruiting right away.
Recruiting is really changing. The recruiting that he needs to hit the ground running with is the portal, IMO.

If Sandy’s legacy is that she navigated the madness of PSU and made a sensible hire for men’s basketball (assuming we have Shrewsberry), then the athletic department should be named after her.

And the next AD should be on a mission to get out of the BJC and into a correctly-sized arena by 2040

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think exit/intriductory interviews with the current roster are going to really tell a lot. I would assume he will go in to the portal no matter what, but if the srs all are wanted back then I assume to 2020 freshmen are probably leaving and he will look for a mix of 1 year help and 4 year guys

I think exit/intriductory interviews with the current roster are going to really tell a lot. I would assume he will go in to the portal no matter what, but if the srs all are wanted back then I assume to 2020 freshmen are probably leaving and he will look for a mix of 1 year help and 4 year guys
I'm pretty sure that the seniors can return without taking away scholarships. However, we have two open scholarships this year if I am incorrect, which is enough for John and jamari. I'm pretty sure that seniors only can come back without it counting against the scholarship count, though

It’s often said that Chambers made inroads to recruiting in Philadelphia. It started to seem like what he really did was make inroads at one high school, Roman Catholic. It will be interesting to see if we continue to be in the mix for players from RC, and also if our net gets wider with someone else in charge.

It’s often said that Chambers made inroads to recruiting in Philadelphia. It started to seem like what he really did was make inroads at one high school, Roman Catholic. It will be interesting to see if we continue to be in the mix for players from RC, and also if our net gets wider with someone else in charge.
We also got Brock, John Johnson, Newbill, Julian Moore, etc

Every indication is that Shrewsberry would be a better recruiter than Chambers and likely a better coach

Reactions: MJG-90
We had lots of players from other Philadelphia schools

If Sandy’s legacy is that she navigated the madness of PSU and made a sensible hire for men’s basketball (assuming we have Shrewsberry), then the athletic department should be named after her.

And the next AD should be on a mission to get out of the BJC and into a correctly-sized arena by 2040

So you want to name the Athletic Department after Sandy if she hires a coach who has yet to win a game? How about if Shrewsberry comes to PSU and is a roaring success something is named after him?

I would have this reversed. Shrewsberry is a better coach and likely a better recruiter.
Exactly...Shrewsberry is a very good coach, but his success will likely come down to his ability to bring talent to a non-traditional basketball location.

Reactions: LioninNC
Every indication is that Shrewsberry would be a better recruiter than Chambers and likely a better coach
I would have this reversed. Shrewsberry is a better coach and likely a better recruiter.

To be fair, Shrewsberry has never been a head coach. He’s apparently a fine offensive mind/coach, but there is a lot more to coaching that that. This said, I’m happy if he’s our next head coach. I’d also be willing to give Ferry a shot as well.

To be fair, Shrewsberry has never been a head coach. He’s apparently a fine offensive mind/coach, but there is a lot more to coaching that that. This said, I’m happy if he’s our next head coach. I’d also be willing to give Ferry a shot as well.
He's been a head coach, just not at the NCAA D1 level.

So you want to name the Athletic Department after Sandy if she hires a coach who has yet to win a game? How about if Shrewsberry comes to PSU and is a roaring success something is named after him?

It was tongue in cheek. It was intended to be a joke about how bad the hires have been in the past, and how dysfunctional the handling of this program has been going back to the mid 1990s.

It would be completely unsurprising to me if simply making a logical hire puts us consistently in the middle of league within two years.

It was tongue in cheek. It was intended to be a joke about how bad the hires have been in the past, and how dysfunctional the handling of this program has been going back to the mid 1990s.

Don't worry. Serious Sandy is fighting a rearguard action to bring in Travis DeCuire,

I'll take your word for it. But at least they were hired. Look where we've been. We had an AD who, left to his own devices, would have run the program on a PSU-only list of candidates. Perhaps even more narrowly than that, every coach would have been Bruce Parkhill or somebody who worked for him. Parkhill went to one NCAA tournament in 12 years, most of that spent in what is now considered a mid-major conference.

Only in 2011 did they break with that even a little bit, when they went to an external consultant who suggested Pat Chambers. Perhaps because they were so embarrassed that a coach left his own alma mater for half the pay at Navy. But even then they were gravitating towards Ron Everhart, a totally lackluster candidate who got fired from Duquesne the very next season.

At the end of the day, Sandy hired Mike Montgomery.

Sandy didn't hire Mike Montgomery. After Cal fired Ben Braun, her search for a successor was going nowhere until someone told her to call Mike Montgomery.

When Montgomery retired, in large part because he couldn't stand working for her, she was going to hire Travis DeCuire, who then was Montgomery's top assistant. Cal's administration vetoed that, told her to hire a search firm, and the result was Cuonzo Martin.

Sandy didn't hire Mike Montgomery. After Cal fired Ben Braun, her search for a successor was going nowhere until someone told her to call Mike Montgomery.

When Montgomery retired, in large part because he couldn't stand working for her, she was going to hire Travis DeCuire, who then was Montgomery's top assistant. Cal's administration vetoed that, told her to hire a search firm, and the result was Cuonzo Martin.

Well, she plans to retire in 2023. Nobody seemed to like Joyner, but he hired O'Brien and Franklin. It is possible that she will do a good job with this hire and someone like Micah Shrewsberry seems to be the right direction. (If that is really what's happening, which I'm not sure about.)

Well, she plans to retire in 2023. Nobody seemed to like Joyner, but he hired O'Brien and Franklin. It is possible that she will do a good job with this hire and someone like Micah Shrewsberry seems to be the right direction. (If that is really what's happening, which I'm not sure about.)

If she hires Shrewsberry, let's hope she gives him more support than she gave Montgomery at Cal. Otherwise, don't expect him to be at PSU for very long.

If she hires Shrewsberry, let's hope she gives him more support than she gave Montgomery at Cal. Otherwise, don't expect him to be at PSU for very long.

Montgomery is an amazing college basketball coach. Is Cal really that far behind Stanford in terms of basketball support? He had Stanford a borderline power. He seems to have pretty much just cashed in there.

I can't see any way Shrewsberry would take the job or Painter would advise it if significant promises aren't made or even built in contractually. You have me worried now. Montgomery was an old proven gun. Shrewsberry has a lot to aspire to that may even aspire beyond just coaching at PSU. If he does go that route he will have been a success and we should be sitting pretty.

That's kind of my point about her retirement. She will only be here for two seasons after the new coach is hired, and then they will be working for someone else. And you can bet that she'll be semi-retired in her final year, which could go either way with regards to support.

Also it would not surprise me if Cal is way more dysfunctional than PSU, as hard as that is to imagine. There may be a lot of sides to those stories.

Barbour is going to have to deal with a lot of financial issues over the next couple of years so it's not as if there's going to be any loose change to throw at the basketball program. She won't have the luxury of being particularly generous.

And Cal certainly is dysfunctional, which is the only reason she had a job there in the first place. Not only were they thankful that PSU took her financially off of their hands, they were astonished that it was done so at an enormous premium.

As for there being other sides to the story, there is one; hers.

I can't see any way Shrewsberry would take the job or Painter would advise it if significant promises aren't made or even built in contractually. You have me worried now. Montgomery was an old proven gun. Shrewsberry has a lot to aspire to that may even aspire to just coaching at PSU. If he does go that route he will have been a success and we should be sitting pretty.

I am extremely worried that this will end with BC coming in at the last minute and giving Shrewsberry more than PSU. The only mitigating factor is that BC is probably more delusional than PSU and will first try to hire some huge name who isn't interested. Then they will move on to the realistic candidates. So that buys us a couple of weeks.

If PSU does not announce Shrewsberry this week, then it's hard to say where this ends up. I would not rule out Ferry getting back in the mix in that scenario.

Montgomery is an amazing college basketball coach. Is Cal really that far behind Stanford in terms of basketball support? He had Stanford a borderline power. He seems to have pretty much just cashed in there.

I can't see any way Shrewsberry would take the job or Painter would advise it if significant promises aren't made or even built in contractually. You have me worried now. Montgomery was an old proven gun. Shrewsberry has a lot to aspire to that may even aspire beyond just coaching at PSU. If he does go that route he will have been a success and we should be sitting pretty.

The gap between Stanford and Cal in support for athletics is about as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Mike Montgomery was a terrific basketball coach and is a great guy. He's also been my brother's neighbor and good friend for about 35 years. Any more questions?

Reactions: psrurock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT