ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Christmas games on Netflix only

I believe they still show them on the local affiliate but out of town teams no bueno

I believe they still show them on the local affiliate but out of town teams no bueno
This
And I think most people have those. Maybe not Peacock. Streaming networks are just the future. Cable is dying so if they want to attract younger viewers this is how.

Reactions: NJPSU
Does it save money to cut cable but have 10 different subscription services? And if it currently does, will it continue to be 10 years down the road?
Most people with cable have 4+ subscriptions. Especially those with younger kids. It's not just about cost savings. It's about binging, not having commercials and being able to watch from anywhere.

So now you need Netflix to see any games scheduled for Christmas Day. Peacock for some Thursday games. ESPN only for some games.

Are there Amazon only games? Can’t keep.

Refuse to keep up. Screw them all.
and YouTube for NFL Sunday ticket, I believe

Steelers fan here and I'm saying FU NFL and the whore Goodell. I don't agree with games on Christmas and especially as they're putting a gun to your head if you do want to watch. I'll enjoy the time with family instead of supporting the NFL. The Rooney's are now no different than the rest.

Steelers fan here and I'm saying FU NFL and the whore Goodell. I don't agree with games on Christmas and especially as they're putting a gun to your head if you do want to watch. I'll enjoy the time with family instead of supporting the NFL. The Rooney's are now no different than the rest.
You can't watch football with the family on Xmas? I'm sure someone that's at your Xmas has a Netflix account.

I swear people just hate change. If you don't watch they don't care.

Everyone's angry at cable networks, so they cheer on streaming options.
Everyone gets streaming options, and abandons cable, and realizes the streaming options are expensive and suck.
Everyone's angry at streaming options.

Who couldn't have seen that coming?

It's just like the college sports mess, where everyone cheered on each step where the sports became more and more professional, until suddenly, they actually got what they wished for and then started crying that everything is ruined.

So now you need Netflix to see any games scheduled for Christmas Day. Peacock for some Thursday games. ESPN only for some games.

Are there Amazon only games? Can’t keep up.

Aren't you part of the crew that has already boycotted them 47 times over as a result of stuff that has been so offensive, you just couldn't take it anymore?

Does it save money to cut cable but have 10 different subscription services? And if it currently does, will it continue to be 10 years down the road?

I have a vacation rental that I have still have cable at. I pay Comcast $296/mo for Internet and cable. This includes the basic cable box for 4 addl TV's and a decent channel package.

IDK how cutting the cord isn't cheaper.
$80 for Internet
$40 for YouTube live if that's your thing
$15 for nflx
$15 For Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle
$15 for HBO max
$0 for Amazon b/c you're already paying for shopping
$6 for peacock
$6 for paramount (includes NFL on CBS)
$10 for apple

$187 total

It's not even close.

Welcome to the 21st century!

I have a vacation rental that I have still have cable at. I pay Comcast $296/mo for Internet and cable. This includes the basic cable box for 4 addl TV's and a decent channel package.

$80 for Internet
$15 for nflx
$15 for HBO max
$6 for peacock
$10 for apple

$187 total

It's not even close.
I guess in this case it may be. For how long those prices will remain is the question for you. I suppose a big piece of the equation is the massive inflation on cable bills. When did cable start costing $300 a month? There are probably posters here that had $300/month mortgage payments at one time. 

Anyway, I was curious. So I looked up this graph. It may overstate cable increases because they are pitching cord cutting, but maybe pretty close. It's flat out insane how much things cost these days and every once in a while I just get sticker shock thinking about how much prices increased for an item or service.
Cable prices vs. inflation

Reactions: bison13 and psu00

Couldn’t care less. Hardly watch any games now other than the home team occasionally.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

$80 for Internet
$15 for nflx
$15 for HBO max
$6 for peacock
$10 for apple

$187 total

It's not even close.

Youtube TV is $73/month.

Does that come with all the sports packages a typical sports nut needs in order to watch their teams? Up here, all the cord cutters cry and moan that they can't watch team X with option A, and team Y with option B, and so on. They'll all talk about how awesome and cheap it is, and then out of the other side of their mouth they'll cry that this is going up in price, and that is going up in price, and the other is cutting channels, and now it's just as expensive, or more expensive than cable ...

Xfinity is $120 a month at 2 Gpbs (and then add in all the extra taxes and fees, which you're probably including in your internet and cable bill statement).

You can't watch football with the family on Xmas? I'm sure someone that's at your Xmas has a Netflix account.

I swear people just hate change. If you don't watch they don't care.
It seems that way because most of the regulars here are senior citizens. You are correct and most young people don’t watch cable TV anymore.

It seems that way because most of the regulars here are senior citizens. You are correct and most young people don’t watch cable TV anymore.
Not sure what the household penetration is for Netflix but it seems a bit ridiculous that on Christmas Day you can't simply flip on the TV and watch the NFL game. I guess that is so 2010.

Reactions: bison13

$80 for Internet
$15 for nflx
$15 for HBO max
$6 for peacock
$10 for apple

$187 total

It's not even close.
Wow. Go get starlink or a verizon cube if you have 5G there. Then steam Hulu or Youtube or Tivo or Fubo streaming service. Should all cost you just over $100/mo. And you can use the streaming services at any home for no additional cost (and on the road).

Not sure what the household penetration is for Netflix but it seems a bit ridiculous that on Christmas Day you can't simply flip on the TV and watch the NFL game. I guess that is so 2010.
Well as an example, I don’t have traditional cable anymore and I do have Netflix. So I will be able to just flip on the TV and watch the game. Netflix is hugely popular these days.

Reactions: LandoComando
Well as an example, I don’t have traditional cable anymore and I do have Netflix. So I will be able to just flip on the TV and watch the game. Netflix is hugely popular these days.
First, I've settled on the fact that NFL football is simply "entertainment" that is no different than a movie, TV show or concert. I no longer get emotionally invested.

Second, cable TV is dying. The only reason why you need TV today, is cable news (which is now end-to-end partisan lies) and sports (ESPNx and Fox Sports). You can get all of the local TV and news via an antenna which is you hook up as a separate input on any modern TV. So you trade in your $100 cable bill for free antenna TV plus your choice of pay streaming services.

Lastly, if you want to pinch pennies, you sign up for Max or Apple TV, watch their backlog of good shows, then cancel. You then sign up for Netflix/Amazon and watch their backlog of good shows. Then you cancer and sign up for Paramount+ and Hulu to watch their backlog of good shows. You then cancel and go back to Max/Apple. Rinse and repeat.

The Google machine says that, in the US, there are about:
130M total households
76M Netflix subscribers.
57M traditional cable/satellite subscribers

From an NFL perspective, it appears that Netflix reaches more households than cable

There is a new streaming service focusing on sports that is slated to launch in fall 2024. It’s called Venu.

We are excited to officially introduce Venu Sports, a brand that we feel captures the spirit of an all-new streaming home where sports fans outside of the traditional pay TV ecosystem can experience an incredible collection of live sports, all in one place,” Pete Distad, CEO of Venu Sports, said in a statement. “As preparations for the platform continue to accelerate, we are singularly focused on delivering a best-in-class product for our target audience, built from the ground up using the latest technologies to engage and entertain discerning sports fans wanting one-stop access to live games.”

There is a new streaming service focusing on sports that is slated to launch in fall 2024. It’s called Venu.

We are excited to officially introduce Venu Sports, a brand that we feel captures the spirit of an all-new streaming home where sports fans outside of the traditional pay TV ecosystem can experience an incredible collection of live sports, all in one place,” Pete Distad, CEO of Venu Sports, said in a statement. “As preparations for the platform continue to accelerate, we are singularly focused on delivering a best-in-class product for our target audience, built from the ground up using the latest technologies to engage and entertain discerning sports fans wanting one-stop access to live games.”

Thanks...I read that was coming.

I looked at FUBO as an option and understood that they have two packages. But the two things I wanted, news and sports, were in separate packages. They should have a dude's bundle (sports, news, history, outdoor stuff) and a woman's bundle (HGTV, Hallmark, TCM, etc.). My survey says men and women watch totally different TV.

Exactly--I still have cable but, at night, if the wife and I are watching something that isn't a live sporting event we're probably going to use one of our streaming networks so there's no commercials and we can watch whatever we want. I should probably cut cable but...someday

I looked at FUBO as an option and understood that they have two packages. But the two things I wanted, news and sports, were in separate packages. They should have a dude's bundle (sports, news, history, outdoor stuff) and a woman's bundle (HGTV, Hallmark, TCM, etc.). My survey says men and women watch totally different TV.
I think they like to sell you things that you don't want as add ons to what you do in a lot of cases. I don't believe that there is a big push to minimize your spending.

I think they like to sell you things that you don't want as add ons to what you do in a lot of cases. I don't believe that there is a big push to minimize your spending.
Yep, they don’t offer a dude bundle or a dudette bundle because they split the bundles in a way that most people will buy both.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
of course. plus, they'll try to get you to pay money for movies that just got out of the theaters but will be available to you in a few months with your paid streaming service.

BTW I've got Hulu for all of my normal channels plus some of their own programming. Max (HBO), Apple, Netflix and Amazon. Here is how I rate them:

• Netflix - Best programming and no commercials (yet). Currently, every show highlights a gay couple, or some type. This, to me, is offputting. I really care about someone being gay but don't want it thrown in my face. I think we just have to go through the process as these were all made in the woke era. I get it, tons of the stars and staff are gay. That is their business. I don't want to watch them naked and making out. I recently watched "Ripley" and thought it was really good. Ozark and House of Cards are still as good as anything I've seen streamed.
  • Max - Very good programming with things like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, and Game of Thrones. They have a lot of crappy things like talk shows. I can get those on free TV. I don't need to pay for them.
  • Apple - Programming has been great. I got a "free" subscription when my wife bought a new phone. But shows like "the morning show" and "master of the air" are can't miss.
  • Amazon - I got this for being an amazon prime subscriber which pays off because I buy so much from Amazon. Good, but not great, programming. Your Honor and Bosche are really good.
  • Hulu - I decided to go Hulu over Youtube and Fubo for my regular streaming TV. the commercials drive me nuts but it has been ok. A little slow when channel surfing (right now, going from NBA to Hockey to Golf). Some of their programming is good but I haven't liked their popular self-made shows like Handmaiden's Tale and Only Murders in the Building.
At one point, I got Peacock (to watch the PSU game) and Paramount but dumped them both. Paramount has 1886 and 1923 which are good but difficult to watch.

That's interesting.
-Disney = ESPN/ABC/SECN/ACCN
-Fox = Fox/BTN
-WarnerBros = HBO Max which has a bunch of sports now

That leaves:
-CBS - Paramount has always been a hold out to Hulu & other joint efforts
-NBC/Peacock

Both are losing huge sums currently. Paramount+ is expected to turn a profit in 2025. Not sure about Peacock.

My problem with the NFL is more than the cost of adding streaming. First, in the good old days….. Saturday was college football, Sunday was pro. Then they snuck in a Monday night. Ok, one game.

Now there are Thursday night games, Sat games late season after college is over and now Wednesday games. College has Friday nights, Tuesday nights.

Every single night. But I actually have a life. I actually have other interests. Even have a family and friends. Screw the greedy SOBs.

Worse, you used to know when games were on and maybe three channels to find them. Now you need the NFL app to know what the hell is going on. Schedule your life around them.

Switching channels takes forever instead of nearly instantaneous like it used to be. Wanna track a couple games and you spend a third of the time in limbo waiting for the switch to load. And hate using multiple screens as it’s too distracting.

Seems they have killed the golden goose. Will be spending a lot more time in my garden and wood shop.

Last edited:
The Christmas games on Netflix would be ratings bonanzas if they had Kevin Hart and Nikki Glaser as commentators. That would be must see TV. The whole thing is a joke just raise the ante a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
My problem with the NFL is more than the cost of adding streaming. First, in the good old days….. Saturday was college football, Sunday was pro. Then they snuck in a Monday night. Ok, one game.

Now there are Thursday night games, Sat games late season after college is over and now Wednesday games. College has Friday nights, Tuesday nights.

Every single night. But I actually have a life. I actually have other interests. Even have a family and friends. Screw the greedy SOBs.

Worse, you used to know when games were on and maybe three channels to find them. Now you need the NFL app to know what the hell is going on. Schedule your life around them.

Switching channels takes forever instead of nearly instantaneous like it used to be. Wanna track a couple games and you spend a third of the time in limbo waiting for the switch to load. And hate using multiple screens as it’s too distracting.

Seems they have killed the golden goose. Will be spending a lot more time in my garden and wood shop.
Even most people that "have a life" are typically home by 9pm on Mondays and Thursdays to catch some football. Obviously ratings aren't suffering or they'd stop doing it.

And I like Saturday games once college football ends but those aren't needed now with the FBS playoff so we'll see if those ratings hurt the NFL and they stop playing on Saturdays

Apparently so for them to do this. I don't have Netflix so in the dark so to speak. Maybe I should look into streaming and drop DirecTV. Do you have a streaming service?

Apparently so for them to do this. I don't have Netflix so in the dark so to speak. Maybe I should look into streaming and drop DirecTV. Do you have a streaming service?
DirecTV stream.....I've had this service for about 3 years. You'll get an introductory rate for a year.....then each year call them and "cancel" they'll come down to somewhere around $75-80...I buy a sports package for football and wrestling seasons..which adds about $15/month.

The Google machine says that, in the US, there are about:
130M total households
76M Netflix subscribers.
57M traditional cable/satellite subscribers

From an NFL perspective, it appears that Netflix reaches more households than cable

I don't disagree with the general point, but I don't think that 57M includes people who get bundled cable channels via a streaming source (e.g. YouTubeTV, Sling, Hulu with Live TV, etc) so I would imagine that "cable channels" like ESPN are in more homes than accounted for by this figure.

I don't have a problem with them using Netflix per se or even the additional date/day of the weeks for games, but I wish they would have fewer broadcasting partners. It's annoying to add Netflix when they already were streaming exclusive games on Prime, Peacock and ESPN+. Couldn't these extra games have gone to one of those providers that already featured NFL games?

And of course that's already on top of games being on CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network.

At some point, some simplicity would be beneficial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT