ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson saga

He still has a year of eligibility…..
I don’t think he does, since he has a certain time period to finish his eligibility after he starts, and he started in 2019. But then Covid, and possibly Olympic redshirt, so not sure.

Anyway, I read he “wasn’t progressing fast enough in the WWE.” How do you progress? Like, you aren’t learning the pile driver fast enough? Or was his personality too dull to excite the crowd? I don’t know how it works.

But did he apply for it after the fact?
Had to of applied mid season for it considering he was trying to wrestle after 1st semester.
Mineo said Gable ran out of time to use the last year so the college HVYs are safe

Last edited:
I'm satisfied with our Olympic representation at heavyweight. Parris was a takedown away, took a bad shot, from being in the finals at Worlds last year. He looked improved at OTTs too.
I don’t disagree but Gable is better than Mason. He came off the streets last year and beat Mason in two straight. Gable would be a tier above the rest of the world if he didn’t waste 3 years in fake wrestling.

IMO there isn’t anything interesting about anyone in the WWE. I can’t imagine being an adult and watching that shit let alone pay money to watch.
Done! He came; he dazzled everyone except Antknee, he left the stage of legit wrestling. I know a minor WWE guy (perennial bad guy loser ….although that’s not how I would describe him to his face). These guys do train hard, but, it’s very different from a college room. Tons of injuries. Showmanship pays! As much as anything, the fans come for the fan experience. I’ve gone to a few and it’s like a junior high locker room on steroids… literally. Not much for adults unless they seek to recreate the feelings of irrational emotions they craved in Junior High.

Reactions: SJP80
I don’t disagree but Gable is better than Mason. He came off the streets last year and beat Mason in two straight. Gable would be a tier above the rest of the world if he didn’t waste 3 years in fake wrestling.
Agreed, but it's called freedom of choice, or freedom to make a BAD choice. Maybe my feelings are dead, but I don't feel bad for him, he did get what he wanted.

IMO there isn’t anything interesting about anyone in the WWE. I can’t imagine being an adult and watching that shit let alone pay money to watch.
LOL all this pro wrestling is pure trash not real I don't see how anyone can watch it!they know who is winning before the match but they are good actors!!

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Agreed, but it's called freedom of choice, or freedom to make a BAD choice. Maybe my feelings are dead, but I don't feel bad for him, he did get what he wanted.
I just think it’s unfortunate, he would’ve gone down as one of the greatest wrestlers ever. If he stayed in freestyle wrestling he could’ve had 2 more world golds and a chance at a 2nd gold medal before the age of 24. It’s crazy he threw it all away for WWE.

Doesn’t seem wrong to me. He wasn’t interesting. He could have competed at the trials, won and gone for gold #2 and raised his profile but chose not to.
Yes and no. It probably was never his choice. If he wanted to go to the Olympics but his bosses ordered him to not go to Trials, and then they fired him anyway 2 weeks later, that's at least a little wrong.

But I doubt that were ever the case. Steveson likes to draw attention to himself (and in fairness, that's part of his chosen career). He probably didn't ever really want to try out for 2024, just tease that he might.

I just think it’s unfortunate, he would’ve gone down as one of the greatest wrestlers ever. If he stayed in freestyle wrestling he could’ve had 2 more world golds and a chance at a 2nd gold medal before the age of 24. It’s crazy he threw it all away for WWE.
Why impose our values on him? He obviously didn't share them.

As far as "threw it away," his reported salary was $200k. If theoretically that were his WWE salary forever, he would've made more there in every 4-year cycle assuming he won gold at every Worlds and Olympics. (Would've made more at WWE during non-Olympic years, less during Olympic years.)

Plus had he performed well, his next contract would've likely been far greater.

Most people here, if truly honest with themselves, would probably opt for the $200k guaranteed for a few years with a shot at a huge payday later. Especially after already winning Olympics.

Reactions: GableBeer

These guys do train hard, but, it’s very different from a college room. Tons of injuries. Showmanship pays! As much as anything, the fans come for the fan experience. I’ve gone to a few and it’s like a junior high locker room on steroids… literally. Not much for adults unless they seek to recreate the feelings of irrational emotions they craved in Junior High.

I personally don't imbibe in WWE or its various iterations, but I understand the allure for others, even otherwise intelligent adults. It's not so different than much/most of tv offerings. A mindless disconnect from the real world to watch (and vicariously participate in) how absurd, funny, or dramatic plot lines play out. All tv is fake, but that doesn't keep millions of people from paying good money to tune in, including people you respect and maybe even yourself.

I don’t think he does, since he has a certain time period to finish his eligibility after he starts, and he started in 2019. But then Covid, and possibly Olympic redshirt, so not sure.

Anyway, I read he “wasn’t progressing fast enough in the WWE.” How do you progress? Like, you aren’t learning the pile driver fast enough? Or was his personality too dull to excite the crowd? I don’t know how it works.
There are a few documentaries about Kurt Angle that could shed light on this. Basically the jist is WWE is acting and part of acting is making the other(s) on the stage look good at what they are doing. If I had to guess, Gable is having the same problem the Kurt had, letting someone do something to him. Gable has spent his whole life training to do what he wants to others and not letting them do anything to him. That had to change. If it were a real fight Gable probably wins every time and it's not close, but it is acting and the other guy needs to look like he is winning every once in a while (or whenever the script says it).

Reactions: Ski
There are a few documentaries about Kurt Angle that could shed light on this. Basically the jist is WWE is acting and part of acting is making the other(s) on the stage look good at what they are doing. If I had to guess, Gable is having the same problem the Kurt had, letting someone do something to him. Gable has spent his whole life training to do what he wants to others and not letting them do anything to him. That had to change. If it were a real fight Gable probably wins every time and it's not close, but it is acting and the other guy needs to look like he is winning every once in a while (or whenever the script says it).
Your guess is Gable doesn't want to lose the fights so his WWE career is done?

Your guess is Gable doesn't want to lose the fights so his WWE career is done?
More like does not know how to lose a fight. I'm sure he could lose a fight by not fighting back at all.

He spent his whole life training to not letting someone win a fight while looking like he is fighting 100% to win. Now he has to remove the instincts that he trained year's to instill and make it look like a real, even fight.

He could be a nice addition to our RTC if he fits the culture. There's also a pretty nice MMA training facility just nearby.

• Wow
Reactions: Hotshoe
Gable is a world class athlete in a company whose stars need to be world class entertainers. The WWE knew that he could learn the moves and eventually how to work a match, they just needed to see him develop his character and personality.

Unfortunately he wasn’t connecting with the audience so here we are. In a different era Gable probably would have been a star as he would have been seen as a legit shooter like Vern Gagne or Lou Thesz. However, this era succes is entirely dependent on being an athletic entertainer, with the emphasis on entertainment. Having charisma and a strong presence on television is not optional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Well, half of GIA have in penciled into their lineup while the other half doesn't think he has eligibility left.

More like does not know how to lose a fight. I'm sure he could lose a fight by not fighting back at all.

He spent his whole life training to not letting someone win a fight while looking like he is fighting 100% to win. Now he has to remove the instincts that he trained year's to instill and make it look like a real, even fight.
WWE is athletic acting. It is not a wrestling match. If he can’t act then WWE is not for him. One doesn’t enter the ring thinking I have to try and not win. He’s not even trying to win. It’s acting. If he can’t play the role then WWE is not for him. He got some great scratch to find out. Wish I had a $400k launch to my career.

Well, half of GIA have in penciled into their lineup while the other half doesn't think he has eligibility left.
He only has a year if the ORS can be retroactively applied to last year while he wasn’t actually training. Seems to me when you take an ORS you have to train, huh? I don’t know the answer to this.

AJ on the other hand would be WWE gold. Plus all those boneheads who love him already are likely WWE fans.
No and no. Part of Gable's failure to launch was WWE fans finding out about his sex assault allegations from a few years back, so that doesn't bode well for AJ. I personally can't see WWE having any interest in training AJ. Trainees are expected to show respect, humility, and shut the eff up when a veteran is explaining something to them. AJ is a loud idiot who thinks he is a genius and can't be left alone around the female trainees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT