ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson intends to use final year of eligibility

No doubt! Now they probably won't get a trophy this season too. The hits keep coming.........

Some quick math here:

NCAA sponsors 90 team sports. Let's assume that's 90 in all 3 divisions.

$4M / (90 sports x 3 divisions) = $14.8k per trophy.

I suspect the NCAA isn't spending that much for 4th place trophies. Not that I care about those trophies, it's more about being BSed.

Some quick math here:

I suspect the NCAA isn't spending that much for 4th place trophies. Not that I care about those trophies, it's more about being BSed.
Math rocks!!!

Some quick math here:

Don’t you also have to divide by 4 (since there were four trophies per sport)? Still would be almost 4k a trophy, which is ridiculous

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Don’t you also have to divide by 4 (since there were four trophies per sport)? Still would be almost 4k a trophy, which is ridiculous
The tweet said they'll save $4M by cutting the 4th place trophies.

No doubt! Now they probably won't get a trophy this season too. The hits keep coming.........

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of a handful of administrators and double the saving? Yeah, I know. That would be indicative of the NCAA existing for the benefit of student-athletes and we all know that ain't true.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Listening to the (fake) Wrestling Observer Live radio show. Dave Meltzer (the godfather of legitimate pro wrestling journalism) reports that WWE made Gable get on TV and announce his decision. Gable is still interested in returning to college wrestling this year if he can work it out.

This guy is ruining his college wrestling reputation at least in my eyes. Why come back, especially after doing the revered “shoes on mat” routine? He comes back for a shot to be a 3-timer? Won’t be GOAT… won’t be 4-timer… and won’t any longer be to many (I would expect) the fun loving awesome wrestler and showman that I cheered 2 years ago. I will cheer against him if he comes back (not that he would care).

I guess I am just old. I don’t get it.

Care to elaborat?
Match ended in a double count out. Crowd didn’t seem to care much for him. Chanted “you’re not angle” at one point. Boo’d the ending, but they continued brawling until refs and security came out to break it up.

Now, they originally didn’t care for Angle, either. But the internet wrestling fans are more important nowadays than then… and every tweet about Gable turns into bringing up his allegations.

Idk, I don’t watch every week religiously, but my little knowledge of pro wrestling didn’t lead me to being intrugued.

Match ended in a double count out. Crowd didn’t seem to care much for him. Chanted “you’re not angle” at one point. Boo’d the ending, but they continued brawling until refs and security came out to break it up.

Now, they originally didn’t care for Angle, either. But the internet wrestling fans are more important nowadays than then… and every tweet about Gable turns into bringing up his allegations.

Idk, I don’t watch every week religiously, but my little knowledge of pro wrestling didn’t lead me to being intrugued.
For moral and mental health reasons, I can't watch their show while Vinnie Mac still owns it. Do you think TMS will fare better than Gable has so far?

Grad transfers do. Slavikouski was in the portal for the entire past season, knowing it would be his last at Harvard.
You are right, they do (since my grad transfer son recently had to do it). They just don't have any date restrictions on when they can enter (at least as it stands today - who knows what the ncaa will come up with tomorrow! 🤷‍♂️).

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
Some quick math here:

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering where you found the "90 team sports" number? On the NCAA's website championship page (Here: https://www.ncaa.com/championships) it appears they sponsor championships in 24 sports. Many of those sports have both a men's and women's championships (not football, baseball, field hockey, softball or wrestling - and maybe some others... bowling?). But accounting for men's and women's still leaves you shy of 50, before you multiply by the 3 divisions. Which makes the unrealistic per-trophy cost even higher and more unrealistic (anyone still selling toilet seats to the Pentagon?!). Like you said, it's about being BS'd (cuz isn't that what the NCAA is all about?!), but I was still wondering where you got the 90 number. Thanks!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering where you found the "90 team sports" number? On the NCAA's website championship page (Here: https://www.ncaa.com/championships) it appears they sponsor championships in 24 sports. Many of those sports have both a men's and women's championships (not baseball, field hockey, softball or wrestling - and maybe some others... bowling?). But accounting for men's and women's still leaves you shy of 50, before you multiply by the 3 divisions. Which makes the unrealistic per-trophy cost even higher and more unrealistic (anyone still selling toilet seats to the Pentagon?!). Like you said, it's about being BS'd (cuz isn't that what the NCAA is all about?!), but I was still wondering where you got the 90 number. Thanks!
Did a quick Google search.

If the correct number is 24, that just reinforces my point that the NCAA is BSing everyone about their costs. $55.5k per 4th place trophy? Come on, at least make the lie halfway believable.

Reactions: TheRealSmee
Did a quick Google search.

If the correct number is 24, that just reinforces my point that the NCAA is BSing everyone about their costs. $55.5k per 4th place trophy? Come on, at least make the lie halfway believable.
Is there any other scuttlebutt on this situation other than Pyles tweeting about it? He seems to have been the only one I have seen. Others talking about it (including ourselves) are just going based off his tweet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT