ADVERTISEMENT

Not a well coached team

Nov 12, 2014
Three formation penalties, double play action scheme for an o-line that can't block for more than 4 seconds, and then Hamilton spins the ball in the endzone (where he should have handed the ball to the ref and and thanked the two players who gave him the blocks in the first place).

For those with NFL network, they did a piece recently on Belichick and regardless what you think of his cheating approach, i found it interesting that his talking points to players (no short cuts, concentrate on the little things) sounded eerily similar to a very successful coach our program once had. I have not seen it with this current staff. I equate this staff and team to a Faberge egg, very fancy and beautiful on the outside but in the end it's still a damn egg.

Three formation penalties, double play action scheme for an o-line that can't block for more than 4 seconds, and then Hamilton spins the ball in the endzone (where he should have handed the ball to the ref and and thanked the two players who gave him the blocks in the first place).

For those with NFL network, they did a piece recently on Belichick and regardless what you think of his cheating approach, i found it interesting that his talking points to players (no short cuts, concentrate on the little things) sounded eerily similar to a very successful coach our program once had. I have not seen it with this current staff. I equate this staff and team to a Faberge egg, very fancy and beautiful on the outside but in the end it's still a damn egg.

The same thing could be said about the trolls on this site. Seriously, what happened to the quality of the trolls?

Defense and special teams are coached better!!! NFL network also did a piece in which they noted that defense and special teams are part of the TEAM.

We lost our MLB for the year playing special teams. I'll repeat that, the QB of our defense was playing special teams against temple in the first game of the year, got injured and is done for the year. that is truly unbelievable.

We lost our MLB for the year playing special teams. I'll repeat that, the QB of our defense was playing special teams against temple in the first game of the year, got injured and is done for the year. that is truly unbelievable.
a lot of teams do that, heck at Marshall their All-American running back is used as the Personal protector. PSU has put their starters on special teams many times, maybe they can get a better matchup of starter vs second team guy. They do it in the pros too. So,get over this, what would you rather, give up 6 on 1 play because some walk on is covering punts?? It would be better to say, 'why is the D so complicated that when one player goes out, no one else can make the checks and adjustments'.

Those formation penalties were absolute BS having watched the game again. So was the ball spinning call.

Just like you lost multiple other players who were not playing special teams. Was it OBs fault when Mauti got hurt every year playing defense?

Can you tell us what position on the field is not at risk of getting hurt?

Mauti was on the punt coverage team too

Reactions: ChiTownLion

I didn't have a problem with him spinning the ball. May not get a chance to do it too often this season.

Defense and special teams are coached better!!! NFL network also did a piece in which they noted that defense and special teams are part of the TEAM.

In 2004 Penn State's defense was phenomenal in holding Iowa to 0 points and getting 2 safeties. How'd that work out for Penn State as a TEAM?

It was a weak penalty. No worse than a typical spike.

Which would also be a penalty. I have a problem with the spin. My problem isn't really the celebration itself because it was a pretty minor one, but the players know it's a penalty and he did it anyway. You simply can't hurt the team with that sort of nonsensical stuff.

15-9 > 8-7.

Obrien inherited a veteran team full of seniors. Obrien only started 4 kids from the sanction recruiting classes while Franklin is starting 15 kids from OBriens sanction classes. OB had about 30 seniors while FRanklin has mostly freshman. Slight difference. Obrien's seniors were recruited without sanctions. Franklins senior class lost their top players to do sanctions and those players are now playing for OSU, ND, RU, Pitt and so on.

When Obrien was the coach the sanction era recruits were sitting on the bench vs Franklin who pretty much has to play them. The team was going down under Obrien and they will go back up under FRanklin. Obrien fled a sinking ship and then called DAve Jones to tell him he was leaving because of the fans. Franklin wants the job while Obrien could not wait to get out of town.

If you were the AD the team would go 0-12 and Jay would be the coach. You would have no future and the team would be fighting it out with Uconn for recruits.

All the people that had this team going 10-2 were out of touch.

Last edited:
Obrien inherited a veteran team full of seniors. Obrien only started 4 kids from the sanction recruiting classes while Franklin is starting 15 kids from OBriens sanction classes. OB had about 30 seniors while FRanklin has mostly freshman. Slight difference. Obrien's seniors were recruited without sanctions. Franklins senior class lost their top players to do sanctions and those players are now playing for OSU, ND, RU, Pitt and so on.

When Obrien was the coach the sanction era recruits were sitting on the bench vs Franklin who pretty much has to play them. The team was going down under Obrien and they will go back up under FRanklin. Obrien fled a sinking ship and then called DAve Jones to tell him he was leaving because of the fans. Franklin wants the job while Obrien could not wait to get out of town.

If you were the AD the team would go 0-12 and Jay would be the coach. You would have no future and the team would be fighting it out with Uconn for recruits.

All the people that had this team going 10-2 were out of touch.
Couldn't agree more. Not only does Franklin have to play mostly underclassmen, most of the few upperclassmen on the team simply aren't that talented. Fore example, while he is a great team guy and deserves praise for staying around, the difference in talent between Barkley and Lynch should be obvious to all.

Because I actually watch the games and pay attention to the playcalls as opposed to parroting excuses for an incompetent OC?

Then you should be able to read and research the players that he had, and know that many (not recruited by him, but left as gifts to him by Joe) ended up in the NFL in some way (in camps, make practice teams, made teams), and that BOB left very very little for CJF. But if you can't read, at least you can watch TV. Good for you.

Then you should be able to read and research the players that he had, and know that many (not recruited by him, but left as gifts to him by Joe) ended up in the NFL in some way (in camps, make practice teams, made teams), and that BOB left very very little for CJF. But if you can't read, at least you can watch TV. Good for you.

Did the sanctions require Dopey Donovan to run the same 5 plays that weren't working for the entire Temple game? Was that a stipulation of the sanctions? Stop making excuses for him. The playcalling was weak, our route combinations are horrible. Is there a stipulation of the sanctions that says we can't throw passes in between the hash marks too?

Did the sanctions require Dopey Donovan to run the same 5 plays that weren't working for the entire Temple game? Was that a stipulation of the sanctions? Stop making excuses for him. The playcalling was weak, our route combinations are horrible. Is there a stipulation of the sanctions that says we can't throw passes in between the hash marks too?

We?

Couldn't agree more. Not only does Franklin have to play mostly underclassmen, most of the few upperclassmen on the team simply aren't that talented. Fore example, while he is a great team guy and deserves praise for staying around, the difference in talent between Barkley and Lynch should be obvious to all.

I told you last year Donovan was a lousy OC. That info was on the Vandy boards the day he was hired. It was the Joebots(you are probably in that group) that stuck their heads in the sand and thought losing DSmith and Miles was going to improve the line.

I told you last year Donovan was a lousy OC. That info was on the Vandy boards the day he was hired. It was the Joebots(you are probably in that group) that stuck their heads in the sand and thought losing DSmith and Miles was going to improve the line. It is going to take 3 years. That is the reality . THe freshman are the start. Next year Menet and company come in and once they are playing the OL will be good.

I told you last year Donovan was a lousy OC. That info was on the Vandy boards the day he was hired. It was the Joebots(you are probably in that group) that stuck their heads in the sand and thought losing DSmith and Miles was going to improve the line.

What are you talking about? You just joined this site this past May.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT