ADVERTISEMENT

Note to Joel Klatt

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
Washington is NOT Ohio State. They are a mentally tough team. And Boa Constrictors are not that tough if you know how to deal with them. Kalen DeBoer is a better coach than Ryan Day.

Washington is NOT Ohio State. They are a mentally tough team. And Boa Constrictors are not that tough if you know how to deal with them. Kalen DeBoer is a better coach than Ryan Day.
I generally agree with you, but……. —Washington is dangerous because of Penix.…. But Penix is fragile and has had a history of multiple bad injuries. He’s a terrific athlete/QB and has survived the west coast defenses, but he’ll be playing his second “very good” /great defense in a row ( and they’ll be targeting him… without “targeting“ him). If Penix survives the onslaught, I like Washington’s chances. If he doesn’t, Washington’s offense becomes like Penn States (bowl) defense.

I think Michigan wins this game. Washington played a weak schedule in terms of physical football. TX was the best team they played and I didn't think TX played a very good game. Washington hasn't played a power offense this season and it will be interesting to see if they can stop UM's ground game. When on offense, W is a passing team with two great WRs and Penix, a good dual-threat guy who is in his SIXTH year. I feel like UM has the corners and the rush to slow them down. In the end, I think UM wins this game in a solid win.

I think Michigan wins this game. Washington played a weak schedule in terms of physical football. TX was the best team they played and I didn't think TX played a very good game. Washington hasn't played a power offense this season and it will be interesting to see if they can stop UM's ground game. When on offense, W is a passing team with two great WRs and Penix, a good dual-threat guy who is in his SIXTH year. I feel like UM has the corners and the rush to slow them down. In the end, I think UM wins this game in a solid win.
As long as they forfeit the win in the future...

But can't we dream for a few days?

I don’t think Washington’s defense can stop Michigan’s offense, assuming Michigan doesn’t turn it over or play stupid. Michigan will be able to control the clock with their run game.

I don’t think Washington’s defense can stop Michigan’s offense, assuming Michigan doesn’t turn it over or play stupid. Michigan will be able to control the clock with their run game.
That's what I think will happen.

Reactions: psu00

Really impressed with Pinnix - he's the best QB in CFB and #2 is not close in terms of pure QB talent. Pinnix already has NFL style skills - he put so many balls on the #'s it was just ridiculous.... and it didn't matter if he was throwing a twenty-yarder or a 60-yarder, the ball was always right on the #'s. scUM's secondary looked a little slow in the Bama game - I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pinnix shreds their secondary, especially with U-dubs receiving core and OL which might be the best in the nation.

Last edited:
Michigan will beat Washington by 30 points.

I agree, I don’t think Washington will be able to stop the run. UGGGGGHH

Reactions: psu00
I generally agree with you, but……. —Washington is dangerous because of Penix.…. But Penix is fragile and has had a history of multiple bad injuries. He’s a terrific athlete/QB and has survived the west coast defenses, but he’ll be playing his second “very good” /great defense in a row ( and they’ll be targeting him… without “targeting“ him). If Penix survives the onslaught, I like Washington’s chances. If he doesn’t, Washington’s offense becomes like Penn States (bowl) defense.
Did I miss something or didn’t fragile Penix throw for over 400 yards against Texas?

Reactions: wilbury
Did I miss something or didn’t fragile Penix throw for over 400 yards against Texas?
Nope, that’s the guy. —Same guy with shoulder injuries and multiple ACL’ s over the last 4-5 years.
He’s well protected, and taking fewer chances than before….. but he’s still fragile.

We can hope for a Bo Schmuckbechler esque Michigan team to show up in a bowl game vs a Pac 10/12 team. Guaranteed loss. But unfortunately this is not your run of the mill overrated 1970-1990 Mich team.

Michigan will control the line of scrimmage and wear down the Huskies on both offense and defense. Michigan will be able to score enough to withstand anything Penix may be able to do in the passing game.

Michigan will beat Washington by 30 points.
That's possible if Washington has a collapse, but I think Big Ten defenses are a bit overrated this year, though I'm basing that on Penn State and Ohio State's performances in the bowls, both of which you can make a lot of excuses for if you're into that. But there just weren't many really good offenses in the league this year.

Michigan had 6 sacks on Milroe. That sounds really impressive. But so did Texas A&M and a couple of others had 5 (Arkansas and Texas). We thought Alabama had cleaned that up, but the back half of their schedule wasn't very good, except for Georgia (0 sacks), which isn't as dominant up front as it has been. But I personally think Milroe was full of himself before the Michigan game and likely didn't prepare with the right mindset. He seemed a little too self-congratulatory after beating Georgia. In any event, despite wearing the Alabama logo and winning 12 games, that team was fairly inconsistent this year, and definitely not up to the standard of Saban's best teams. Milroe was by far the best QB statistically that UM has seen this season (#7 overall, while Penix is #3 overall).

Back to my perhaps heretical/crackpot theory on the defenses not being that great. Texas had 0 sacks, but I believe 16 hurries against Penix. And he carved them up. Michigan had 1 sack against PSU (and 2 hurries), btw, vs. Ohio State's 4 sacks. So I'm not sure that I buy that they have such a fierce pass rush that UW will be shell shocked, as some seem to think. I don't expect the pass rush to get home as much as it did against Alabama, though constant pressure from different places could make Penix a little tentative. He's had some statistically bad games. But I'm going to go out in a limb and say that Michigan's defense isn't quite as successful in this game as it was against Alabama's inconsistent line. So then I believe Penix will have enough time to make some throws and they will be tested at corner in the secondary in a way they haven't since TCU. But regardless, my sense is that Washington seems to be able to adapt to whatever kind of game its opponent wants to play. A wild card in this is how effective is Dillon Johnson. He's their best back this year, by far. He can be very dangerous, but may be slowed in this one. On the other hand, Michigan is a very good running team and will try to run all over them. I have seen UW's defense look really bad at times, but they are good in crunch time. It kind of reminds me of some of our defenses of old where we'd give up a lot of yards but not points, at least when it mattered. If the UM secondary holds up better than I think it will and UW can't stop the run then UM can win handily, but I doubt they win by anything approaching 30. I'm betting it will be a much closer game than that if Michigan wins - maybe 10-14 points.

Reactions: lazydave841
That's possible if Washington has a collapse, but I think Big Ten defenses are a bit overrated this year, though I'm basing that on Penn State and Ohio State's performances in the bowls, both of which you can make a lot of excuses for if you're into that. But there just weren't many really good offenses in the league this year.

Michigan had 6 sacks on Milroe. That sounds really impressive. But so did Texas A&M and a couple of others had 5 (Arkansas and Texas). We thought Alabama had cleaned that up, but the back half of their schedule wasn't very good, except for Georgia (0 sacks), which isn't as dominant up front as it has been. But I personally think Milroe was full of himself before the Michigan game and likely didn't prepare with the right mindset. He seemed a little too self-congratulatory after beating Georgia. In any event, despite wearing the Alabama logo and winning 12 games, that team was fairly inconsistent this year, and definitely not up to the standard of Saban's best teams. Milroe was by far the best QB statistically that UM has seen this season (#7 overall, while Penix is #3 overall).

Back to my perhaps heretical/crackpot theory on the defenses not being that great. Texas had 0 sacks, but I believe 16 hurries against Penix. And he carved them up. Michigan had 1 sack against PSU (and 2 hurries), btw, vs. Ohio State's 4 sacks. So I'm not sure that I buy that they have such a fierce pass rush that UW will be shell shocked, as some seem to think. I don't expect the pass rush to get home as much as it did against Alabama, though constant pressure from different places could make Penix a little tentative. He's had some statistically bad games. But I'm going to go out in a limb and say that Michigan's defense isn't quite as successful in this game as it was against Alabama's inconsistent line. So then I believe Penix will have enough time to make some throws and they will be tested at corner in the secondary in a way they haven't since TCU. But regardless, my sense is that Washington seems to be able to adapt to whatever kind of game its opponent wants to play. A wild card in this is how effective is Dillon Johnson. He's their best back this year, by far. He can be very dangerous, but may be slowed in this one. On the other hand, Michigan is a very good running team and will try to run all over them. I have seen UW's defense look really bad at times, but they are good in crunch time. It kind of reminds me of some of our defenses of old where we'd give up a lot of yards but not points, at least when it mattered. If the UM secondary holds up better than I think it will and UW can't stop the run then UM can win handily, but I doubt they win by anything approaching 30. I'm betting it will be a much closer game than that if Michigan wins - maybe 10-14 points.
😂 Any time someone needs 5 paragraphs to justify an opinion, it's obvious that opinion is full of $hit.

Michigan is blowing Washington off the field. Game will be over at halftime.

Same guy with shoulder injuries and multiple ACL’ s over the last 4-5 years.
We all have multiple ACLs. Two to be exact. Doesn't make us fragile.

What would make one fragile is if they didn't have multiple ACLs. Then the knee would be quite unstable and fragile indeed.

😂 Any time someone needs 5 paragraphs to justify an opinion, it's obvious that opinion is full of $hit.

Michigan is blowing Washington off the field. Game will be over at halftime.
Bet as much as possible on it, please.

Michigan is more likely to blow out Washington than the other way but both sides aren't being realistic here. It's likely going to be a 31-21 type game with Michigan obviously the favorite to win. Don't let your hate of Michigan blind you. They've been the best team all year other than Georgia who didn't get a chance.

Last edited:
We all have multiple ACLs. Two to be exact. Doesn't make us fragile.

What would make one fragile is if they didn't have multiple ACLs. Then the knee would be quite unstable and fragile indeed.
Mildly humorous literal interpretation . —Here’s another literal example: …worked with many individuals with above the knee amputations , who were not close to fragile ( in fact very strong/ tough) at all. — As an athlete/ football comparative, he’s fragile.

—He’s an extremely talented athlete, and I hope he ( and everyone) make it through the game unscathed . A healthy Penix give UW a chance. Just making an observation

Paul Finebaum on First Take said that Washington had the best offensive line in college football. Michigan has been good but not elite on defense. Assuming that Washington has a really good offensive line, it will score against Michigan.

Paul Finebaum on First Take said that Washington had the best offensive line in college football. Michigan has been good but not elite on defense. Assuming that Washington has a really good offensive line, it will score against Michigan.

Their receiving corps is also arguably the best in the nation. scUM has not played an offense remotely as good. scUM's secondary looked slow in Bama game (the first Bama TD being a good example - nobody came remotely close to tackling Bama RB on 34 yard run. In fact, scUM's DBs lost ground to McLellan as he ran down sideline.) - would not be surprised to see Pinnix/U-dub shred scUM's secondary.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Their receiving corps is also arguably the best in the nation. scUM has not played an offense remotely as good. scUM's secondary looked slow in Bama game (the first Bama TD being a good example - nobody came remotely close to tackling Bama RB on 34 yard run. In fact, scUM's DBs lost ground to McLellan as he ran down sideline.) - would not be surprised to see Pinnix/U-dub shred scUM's secondary.
Personally, unless UM can control the clock, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Washington shreds the UM defense. UM's defense was reasonable but not great against OSU and Washington's offense is way better than OSU.

It's a good initial test of PAC 12 wide open offense against B1G solid defense dominated fb. I can't wait for next year. Do the PAC12 defenses stink, or are their offenses just superior?

Reactions: dailybuck777
Personally, unless UM can control the clock, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Washington shreds the UM defense. UM's defense was reasonable but not great against OSU and Washington's offense is way better than OSU.
You're truly worried Michigan is going to win. It's alarming.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Bet as much as possible on it, please.
If he’s that certain, he should bet his life savings on it, but he won’t bet anything. I wonder if he will be man enough to come on the board after the game and tell us how much he lost.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Don't like cheaters and people with no class like michigan. Do hope they lose.
I also "hope" they lose but I'm not going to be blinded about what is likely because of that hope. Your comments come across as being irrational because of your dislike.

I also "hope" they lose but I'm not going to be blinded about what is likely because of that hope. Your comments come across as being irrational because of your dislike.
I have never said that Washington will win. I have said that their offense is good enough to win and that Michigan should not be viewed as a prohibitive favorite. As national championship teams go Michigan is mediocre and Michigan has a history of choking as it did last year against TCU. Michigan could very well win but as I said I don't in any sense view it as a prohibitive favorite.

I have never said that Washington will win. I have said that their offense is good enough to win and that Michigan should not be viewed as a prohibitive favorite. As national championship teams go Michigan is mediocre and Michigan has a history of choking as it did last year against TCU. Michigan could very well win but as I said I don't in any sense view it as a prohibitive favorite.
They are and should be viewed as the prohibitive favorite. Your bias is preventing you from seeing that. Washington can absolutely upset them but it would be an upset. You're not giving them enough credit. And if they win its obvious you still won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT