ADVERTISEMENT

off season woes

a_mshaffer

Dec 8, 2014
A few thoughts:
I think the pac12 is officially now history (after the last spring sport - women's softball). Anyone know what wash st and ore st going to do? Can they stay afloat - all sports?
I see people pick on the NCAA. Wonder what their role is in the future?... College sports is changing so very fast.
When will we see HS kids hit the portal? or transfer for NIL (of sorts) to a school (probably private) that will pay out?
How will gambling be controlled or contained? Sooner or later it will be limited to 'not your sport', then what?

Reactions: therod
In 30 years, wrestling will become a club sport in many locations, with most funding coming via boosters of the sport. That is my nostradumbass prediction, but I fear this one might actually come true.
In 30 years, there will be no college sports because there will be no schools. AI will have advanced to the point where you just pay a fee and you have a chip implanted in your brain where all of the appropriate information is downloaded. Any sports will be controlled from the corporate level where you will have games like Rollerball or Motorball that are designed to placate the masses.

In 30 years, there will be no college sports because there will be no schools. AI will have advanced to the point where you just pay a fee and you have a chip implanted in your brain where all of the appropriate information is downloaded. Any sports will be controlled from the corporate level where you will have games like Rollerball or Motorball that are designed to placate the masses.
Reminds me of the Running Man

200w.gif

There is no excuse for USC, UCLA, and Oregon not to at least begin the process, with the money they have. That's my stance, and yes I can be wrong here.
UCLA doesn't have the money. They're firmly in the bottom 1/3 of B10 in revenue.

No schools are seriously considering adding any sports until they determine revenue sharing and see how that works out.

you might be right... 30 years ago we thought we would have flying cars

There is no excuse for USC, UCLA, and Oregon not to at least begin the process, with the money they have. That's my stance, and yes I can be wrong here.
The excuse is the current arms race. Nobody is adding a money loser to the balance sheet moving forward.

Reactions: Ski
How will gambling be controlled or contained? Sooner or later it will be limited to 'not your sport', then what?
Prop bets will be banned, as a Carlos Valderama event is highly foreseeable. So are bribes, flops, harassment, abuse.

Only here can we have a thread dedicated to the worst moments of a season have more replies than a thread about the best moments of a season when PSU had arguably the best wrestling season in history.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
And you are wrong. Wrestling loses money for every school that has a tea, even Penn State, although PSU is close to having wrestling pay for itself, but we are not quite there yet, Why would and school choose to add a sport that is going to LOSE money? It is not going to happen.

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
And you are wrong. Wrestling loses money for every school that has a tea, even Penn State, although PSU is close to having wrestling pay for itself, but we are not quite there yet, Why would and school choose to add a sport that is going to LOSE money? It is not going to happen.
I'm perfectly happy with your point, but I am wondering how you have access to the budget and profit spreadsheets for wrestling. Do you work in the athletic department? Are those dollar figures available to the general public? And if so, how may I access them? Thanks again for the information.

Reactions: baccafarmer
I'm perfectly happy with your point, but I am wondering how you have access to the budget and profit spreadsheets for wrestling. Do you work in the athletic department? Are those dollar figures available to the general public? And if so, how may I access them? Thanks again for the information.
For public schools like Penn State they are available to the public.

This is for all sports so you'll have to do a bit of work. You will notice that all TV revenue is allocated to FB and BB even though wrestling is on quite a bit. There are other revenue streams that need some further scrutiny as well. The NLWC is not included in this report. Of note is the ~$800k of "Endowment and Investments Income", and the $566k of Contributions donated by individuals and companies.

Last edited:
Plus, with Title IX they will also have to add a women's program or another women's sport, so they will have to fund two new money losing programs when they now sit in a conference requiring a bunch of cross-country travel. Not happening.

Here is data on the NLWC with the latest being 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT