ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL MBB Thread: @ ILL

No. But the reality is that he won't get fired at 6-14. They will say he won 6 of the last 10 games and that Stevens is coming back, so he gets another year.

Assuming Pat gets there, he will have won more than five Big Ten games in four consecutive years. As bad as it sounds, PSU has never done that.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. He won too many games to get fired last year. I thought Pat should have been able to produce a top 25 team that made a deep run last season, and a bubble team this season.

somehow did not lose this team and the freshmen are beginning to show some promise. If Stevens and Watkins return I think we have a shot again next year. If he goes, Stevens and Watkins are probably gone.

I think it is a judgment call whether to keep him at this point. I'm not sure there is a great answer

Patrick Chambers is not getting fired. I thought it was a real possibility earlier in the season, but the team is playing great right now. Unless Penn State is willing to break the bank on a big name that would excite the current players what would be the point of firing him? You would probably have a mass exodus and would be starting from ground zero with a coach who probably isn’t any better.

Last edited:
Patrick Chambers is not getting fired. I thought it was a real possibility earlier in the season, but the team is playing great right now. Unless Penn State is willing to break the bank on a big name that would excite the current players what would be the point of firing him. You would probably have a mass exodus and would be starting from ground zero with a coach who probably isn’t any better.

I agree. And if you miss on the big coaches, it gets even worse than what you were trying to fix. we've seen it before. DeChellis's first two seasons were even worse than what Dunn got fired over. There was a five-year period that was totally lost.

Patrick Chambers is not getting fired. I thought it was a real possibility earlier in the season, but the team is playing great right now. Unless Penn State is willing to break the bank on a big name that would excite the current players what would be the point of firing him? You would probably have a mass exodus and would be starting from ground zero with a coach who probably isn’t any better.

You are right on all counts. He will be back and I have joined the growing chorus of those who believe it is the correct decision.

Just curious, why do you even watch the games? It's pretty obvious you start these threads for the sole purpose of attacking Chambers. You are never happy when the team plays well or God forbid wins. We get it. Give it a rest. You are going to be so disappointed when Chambers isn't fired and he's not getting fired.
So you can only watch games if you think the current coach is the right man for the job? Strange logic. Are you some short of sheep afraid to criticize your team’s coach? Very North Korean of you. 4-12 bud.

No. But the reality is that he won't get fired at 6-14. They will say he won 6 of the last 10 games and that Stevens is coming back, so he gets another year.

Assuming Pat gets there, he will have won more than five Big Ten games in four consecutive years. As bad as it sounds, PSU has never done that.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. He won too many games to get fired last year. I thought Pat should have been able to produce a top 25 team that made a deep run last season, and a bubble team this season.

somehow did not lose this team and the freshmen are beginning to show some promise. If Stevens and Watkins return I think we have a shot again next year. If he goes, Stevens and Watkins are probably gone.

I think it is a judgment call whether to keep him at this point. I'm not sure there is a great answer
What really matters when in the calendar he wins big ten games? For 8 years now I believe in every single year he has a record in the second half of conference play better than the first half. Same story every single year. Definition of insanity...doing same thing expecting different results. Respectfully.

If you were competent, you wouldn't ask the question. He makes 1 out of 4. True not great % but it opens his drives to the basket which helps him get fouled.
Lol yes, keep jacking 3s when you hit from a 21% clip. You’d make a great coach, brilliant.

What really matters when in the calendar he wins big ten games? For 8 years now I believe in every single year he has a record in the second half of conference play better than the first half. Same story every single year. Definition of insanity...doing same thing expecting different results. Respectfully.

Yes, it is insane in a way.

I have very little faith that Pat will get over the hump next season. Probably more of the same - slow start, too many losses, etc.

OTOH, he is in the first year of his contract. If the school is going to buy him out, hire some other coach (it won't be a superstar), and then we have all of the players transfer, it is basically just a waste of money. Might as well wait until after next season and save a million on the buyout

Pat did not do a good job. WOW! Of course some of those ,early games were winnable as were a few conference games. As I stated, you lose Carr and Watkins. Start 2/3 freshman guards and you expect him to win, win, win. I didn't see the almighty DUKE win the other night (ha ha ha)
Next year the excuse will be we lost Reaves, Stevens (possibly) and Watkins (possibly). We’re always going to lose players, so apparently we will always be at the bottom of the Big and not making the tournament ever. But at least we will know to lower our expectations.

Reactions: Nitty_Lion
Pat did not do a good job. WOW! Of course some of those ,early games were winnable as were a few conference games. As I stated, you lose Carr and Watkins. Start 2/3 freshman guards and you expect him to win, win, win. I didn't see the almighty DUKE win the other night (ha ha ha)

Last year with Carr, Watkins, Reaves, Stevens and Shep, we didn't make the NCAA tournament. Honestly, if last year was an NCAA tournament team, there wouldn't be any heat this year. The excuses of being young could be made. But this is the 8th year of excuses. This season isn't being looked at on its own. Maybe that's a mistake but it's the reality. I like the way the team is playing. Maybe they just needed some confidence. Pat and the kids have done a great job continuing to stay together and play hard. Can't find any negatives with that, but you have to see why people remain critical of Pat and the program in general. This great group of talented Philly area kids is likely to go through the program without sniffing the NCAA tournament. Whatever the reasons are, it's unacceptable. I wanted Pat gone earlier this year but the way things have played out, I don't see how you can dismiss him now. Probably around February of next year we'll be in the same spot.. team is improving, team underachieved and lost bad games early, team regrouped and played well down the stretch, Chambers gets some credit and onto year 10.. insanity isn't it?

Last year with Carr, Watkins, Reaves, Stevens and Shep, we didn't make the NCAA tournament. Honestly, if last year was an NCAA tournament team, there wouldn't be any heat this year. The excuses of being young could be made. But this is the 8th year of excuses. This season isn't being looked at on its own. Maybe that's a mistake but it's the reality. I like the way the team is playing. Maybe they just needed some confidence. Pat and the kids have done a great job continuing to stay together and play hard. Can't find any negatives with that, but you have to see why people remain critical of Pat and the program in general. This great group of talented Philly area kids is likely to go through the program without sniffing the NCAA tournament. Whatever the reasons are, it's unacceptable. I wanted Pat gone earlier this year but the way things have played out, I don't see how you can dismiss him now. Probably around February of next year we'll be in the same spot.. team is improving, team underachieved and lost bad games early, team regrouped and played well down the stretch, Chambers gets some credit and onto year 10.. insanity isn't it?

If they keep him this year, next year needs to be NCAA or you’re gone, whether that is reasonable or not.

Still not 100 percent sure they won’t fire him

Reactions: psugisher
If they keep him this year, next year needs to be NCAA or you’re gone, whether that is reasonable or not.

Still not 100 percent sure they won’t fire him
I think we already know the answer to that question though. Does anyone of sound mental ability think this team is going dancing next year? Losing Reaves and likely at least one of Stevens/Watkins. If Pat couldn’t have gotten it done in any of the first 8 years, nobody should be confident that year 9 is the year.

I think we already know the answer to that question though. Does anyone of sound mental ability think this team is going dancing next year? Losing Reaves and likely at least one of Stevens/Watkins. If Pat couldn’t have gotten it done in any of the first 8 years, nobody should be confident that year 9 is the year.
We were missing a PG for much of this season..
That's like not having a QB.

Watkins is probably gone... But where in the heck do people think Lamar is going??? He doesn't fit into the NBA mold, especially without a reliable 3 pt shot... Let alone as a jr. I have not heard anything about him graduating a full year early to be a grad transfer, either.

He will be the perfect mentor for Seth Lundy. Brockington will help to "replace" Reaves. We will be thin at the 5 next year, but we have also shown the ability to go small with Lamar at the 5.

Next year could be very interesting... We will see

Watkins is probably gone... But where in the heck do people think Lamar is going??? He doesn't fit into the NBA mold, especially without a reliable 3 pt shot... Let alone as a jr. I have not heard anything about him graduating a full year early to be a grad transfer, either.

He will be the perfect mentor for Seth Lundy. Brockington will help to "replace" Reaves. We will be thin at the 5 next year, but we have also shown the ability to go small with Lamar at the 5.

Do any of you realize how much professional basketball there is around the world. Most of Penn State's starters over the last two decades have been able to find employment playing basketball somewhere. Lamar isn't going to have any trouble finding a job playing ball.

Reactions: Nitty_Lion

And what if Pat doesn’t make the tournament next year? At what point do you finally cut the cord and say we have given him enough time? Looking for a concrete answer

Do any of you realize how much professional basketball there is around the world. Most of Penn State's starters over the last two decades have been able to find employment playing basketball somewhere. Lamar isn't going to have any trouble finding a job playing ball.
If he graduates this summer, that is. Any word?

And what if Pat doesn’t make the tournament next year? At what point do you finally cut the cord and say we have given him enough time? Looking for a concrete answer
I was onboard with canning him after this season. I still would not be against it, IF the university is finally going to support the next coach (AND he is a known quantity already).

If PC comes back next year, which I think is a pretty sure bet, it should be NCAA or bust.

Agree - you have to look at the totality of his record...not just that we are playing well now. Everton has players leave..so that is no excuse. Credit Pat for not losing the team this year...but it is time to move on. Will Sandy? Doubt it!

Reactions: 84Lion
It's called pride and I think Lamar has some. I'll be surprised if he leaves without his degree.

Plenty of guys have left without a degree in hand and played professionally, returning in the off-season to get their degrees. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Plenty of guys have left without a degree in hand and played professionally, returning in the off-season to get their degrees. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Plenty of high school dropouts become millionaires, too.

I know, but most don't return.

But they tell themselves that they are going to when they leave, so in their minds they haven't given up on the degree and it's not really that much of a factor in their decision.

You realize we didn't play Duke today, correct?? Read the subject line and try to keep up with the discussion.

Are you really this dumb. Read over and I’ll give you credit for a redo. If you’re gonna play board cop you need to keep up.

Hint.....I didn’t post that we played or beat Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT