ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Qualifier in Istanbul, 5/9-12

The entire SW corner of Northumberland County -- nearly everything between Sunbury and Millersville, and from the Susquehanna River almost all the way to Shamokin. Or for people less familiar with Central PA: about 45 min straight north of Harrisburg, on the same side of the river.

It's a forgotten corner of PA. Middle of nowhere rural -- the 3 biggest "towns" (Trevorton, Herndon, Dalmatia) probably combine for under 2,500 people. Very few people even pass thru there unless visiting family or a HS event -- the roads are far slower than across the river (N/S) or Rt. 61 (E/W), and sadly it's kinda run down, not particularly scenic (with one exception -- Rt. 147 southbound near Dalmatia has a nice downhill view of the river).

Also the roads are really bad in the winter, not that I've ever, say, scared the snot out of my wife on Rt. 147 while unable to go above 30, just to avoid mall traffic on the day after Christmas.

The HS is on Rt. 225 just south of the split from Rt. 147, near Herndon. It's a pretty big district -- I had a friend from there who lived 30 min from the HS (driving, not bus).
Thanks to everyone for the input. FYI - my primary reason for asking is because I knew a good wrestler from there - Tyler Erdman. He and his friend came and stayed with us for a week when I was living in WA. They came to our HS summer practice and showed a lot of cool technique and also got on the mat with some of our guys. It was a really fun visit.

Unfortunately, I learned a few years ago that Tyler took his own life. I have no idea what happened, but I was really upset to hear the news. 😢

Forgive me Lord. I checked for updates a few times during Mass.

Boom GIF
I"m north of Pittsburgh and my Parish Priest is a huge Spencer Lee fan and also follows Kyle Snyder's career.

Two years ago during NCAA's he called me about updates.

So son, you are absolved!

Thanks to everyone for the input. FYI - my primary reason for asking is because I knew a good wrestler from there - Tyler Erdman. He and his friend came and stayed with us for a week when I was living in WA. They came to our HS summer practice and showed a lot of cool technique and also got on the mat with some of our guys. It was a really fun visit.

Unfortunately, I learned a few years ago that Tyler took his own life. I have no idea what happened, but I was really upset to hear the news. 😢
Ugh, so sorry. I didn't know him, but from reading his obituary, looked like he had his life in order. Guess you never really know.

From a wrestling standpoint, the Erdmans were a prominent family in the region. Not sure how he got to WA, but no doubt he and his friend had lots of stuff to share.

Ugh, so sorry. I didn't know him, but from reading his obituary, looked like he had his life in order. Guess you never really know.

From a wrestling standpoint, the Erdmans were a prominent family in the region. Not sure how he got to WA, but no doubt he and his friend had lots of stuff to share.
You’re originally from around York aren’t you? Tyler’s friend was Abe Evans who wrestled at Gettysburg at 125. His dad was Scott Evans who was one of my closest friends. Unfortunately, he passed away last year after living with Parkinson’s for almost 20 years. Curious if you knew either of them. That’s how I had a connection to Tyler.

Tyler was about 5 years older than Zain but I’ll bet they knew each other.

You’re originally from around York aren’t you? Tyler’s friend was Abe Evans who wrestled at Gettysburg at 125. His dad was Scott Evans who was one of my closest friends. Unfortunately, he passed away last year after living with Parkinson’s for almost 20 years. Curious if you knew either of them. That’s how I had a connection to Tyler.

I work everyday with Tyler's Brothers (Travis) Wife. They just had a baby recently.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22

No, I grew up about 2 hrs from York. Grew up about 30-40 min north of Line Mountain HS. Don't know any of those guys from Gettysburg.

Can guarantee Zain knew the Erdmans. It's a sparsely populated area where everybody knows everybody else. He and Tyler would've had 1 year of overlap with 7-12 in the same bldg, but there were probably under 400 total students in those 6 grades. Good chance Tyler had brothers or cousins closer to Zain's age. And Zain and the Erdmans all wrestled. Probably went to the same camps too.

The entire SW corner of Northumberland County -- nearly everything between Sunbury and Millersville, and from the Susquehanna River almost all the way to Shamokin. Or for people less familiar with Central PA: about 45 min straight north of Harrisburg, on the same side of the river.

It's a forgotten corner of PA. Middle of nowhere rural -- the 3 biggest "towns" (Trevorton, Herndon, Dalmatia) probably combine for under 2,500 people. Very few people even pass thru there unless visiting family or a HS event -- the roads are far slower than across the river (N/S) or Rt. 61 (E/W), and sadly it's kinda run down, not particularly scenic (with one exception -- Rt. 147 southbound near Dalmatia has a nice downhill view of the river).

Also the roads are really bad in the winter, not that I've ever, say, scared the snot out of my wife on Rt. 147 while unable to go above 30, just to avoid mall traffic on the day after Christmas.

The HS is on Rt. 225 just south of the split from Rt. 147, near Herndon. It's a pretty big district -- I had a friend from there who lived 30 min from the HS (driving, not bus).
I remember playing baseball there felt like we were on top of a mountain lmfao

Zain giving a thank you to all mom's 2Xs and Nick Lee and Jordan Conaway was great.

Jordan Conaway is one fantastic reason to give to the NLWC. Works in the background so other reach their life long goals.
I have no idea if he is interested, but Conaway seems like a no brainer to take Kennedy’s spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyL
Zain giving a thank you to all mom's 2Xs and Nick Lee and Jordan Conaway was great.

Jordan Conaway is one fantastic reason to give to the NLWC. Works in the background so other reach their life long goals.
I met his parents at the CSU Bakersfield dual when Penn State came here. Very nice people. I also noticed that after the duals at both CSU Bakersfield and Stanford, he was right there with his parents. That told me they were really close.

Reactions: hlstone
I"m north of Pittsburgh and my Parish Priest is a huge Spencer Lee fan and also follows Kyle Snyder's career.

Two years ago during NCAA's he called me about updates.

So son, you are absolved!
One of my wife’s best friends works at Elevation Church in North Carolina and the song Kyle Snyder used for his walkout song for the OTT finals was made by them. She mentioned it to her friend when we got home and her friend relayed that a group of the pastors are huge wrestling fans. They watched the finals on tv and they were geeking out when Kyle used one of their songs for his walkout

Last edited:
I travel down through there every two to three weeks from Lewisburg to Tremont. Your description is spot on. And, we've added Penns Tavern to our restaurant list from time to time. Pretty nice on the back deck overlooking the river.
Penns Tavern is a really awesome place. Great food. Not the easiest to find their driveway.

What a shame.

Here is more info on Tyler Erdman and Troy Erdman and their Line Mountain wrestling careers.

We took the extended scenic route up that side of the river going from York to State College last July just so our 10 year old son could see his ancestral roots in Millersburg (my parents and 2 previous gens). As others said, it isn’t fast. It doesn’t get much faster from Lewisburg over to SC if you just wing it with the route. Was a beautiful day we picked, so no complaints.

Your Olympian, Zain Retherford!
Absolutely overjoyed that Zain AND Spencer are the USA reps at their weights. Freestyle is Spencer’s true element and path to redemptive peace. I’m rooting for him as I would any Lion. And Ochir throwing Zain a rope starts a potential storybook script of the two re-matching for Olympic gold.
As for how Zain steamrolled through repechage, his wife’s one-breath-at-a time advice says it all:
“Be where your feet are.”
Zain’s and Spencer’s feet will soon be in Paris, maybe even on a podium’s highest step. Godspeed.

Absolutely overjoyed that Zain AND Spencer are the USA reps at their weights. Freestyle is Spencer’s true element and path to redemptive peace. I’m rooting for him as I would any Lion. And Ochir throwing Zain a rope starts a potential storybook script of the two re-matching for Olympic gold.
As for how Zain steamrolled through repechage, his wife’s one-breath-at-a time advice says it all:
“Be where your feet are.”
Zain’s and Spencer’s feet will soon be in Paris, maybe even on a podium’s highest step. Godspeed.
Totally agree! Stoked for both!

Zain’s wife must follow Dake on instagram though:

We took the extended scenic route up that side of the river going from York to State College last July just so our 10 year old son could see his ancestral roots in Millersburg (my parents and 2 previous gens). As others said, it isn’t fast. It doesn’t get much faster from Lewisburg over to SC if you just wing it with the route. Was a beautiful day we picked, so no complaints.
Haven't lived in PA for some years, but used to take an alternate route from Harrisburg to State College on gamedays. Go up Route 11 on "that side of the river" and pick up Route 104 to go Northwest through Middleburg and Penns Creek, eventually hit Rt. 45 a little bit west of Mifflinburg and take that over to Boalsburg, on to State College

Scenic drive, missed a lot of traffic

Conway is the prime example of the Penn State machine under Cael's leadership. Granted, a guy as driven as he is would still be successful in life, but he's living the wrestling dream right now.

I always enjoyed driving thru Millersburg. Pleasant town, seems to have aged relatively well. Helps a lot that they built downtown uphill from the river. Hope your son appreciated it.

Reactions: David Keller
I really don’t think there is to many who are bashing DT’s move. Like the iowa board, you have a few PSU fans that are unreasonable and of course some trolls trying to stir crap up. Great move by okie st. and smart move by DT. Wish him luck unless its against PSU.
May DT always be in Cael's shadow so that he doesn't get skin cancer. I say that because of my love for DT and not some PSU centric motive. Really!! 😇

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
@railbirrd

With occasional exception, practices at Rec are not open like they used to be—something that stuck after Covid, AFAIK. As of before trials, NLWC practice starts at 1, but you can’t go in and sit on the bleachers anymore.
Since when? I was there twice this year.

No, I grew up about 2 hrs from York. Grew up about 30-40 min north of Line Mountain HS. Don't know any of those guys from Gettysburg.

Can guarantee Zain knew the Erdmans. It's a sparsely populated area where everybody knows everybody else. He and Tyler would've had 1 year of overlap with 7-12 in the same bldg, but there were probably under 400 total students in those 6 grades. Good chance Tyler had brothers or cousins closer to Zain's age. And Zain and the Erdmans all wrestled. Probably went to the same camps too.
Did you go to Shikellamy? I'm from Danville.

Some interesting Olympic facts: The USA is the only country in the world to qualify all 6 men's and all 6 women's freestyle weights. On the men's side 3 countries qualified all six weights, USA, Russia and Azerbaijan. On the women's side it was USA and Japan. Of the total of 96 wrestlers qualified on the men's side, 23 or 24% were Russian born and 14 or 14.5% are USA born.

I've been a b1g fan of Mr. Jefe for years, and my best guess is Milton, circa 1978-1980.
(myself- WR class of 79)
You guys are stirring up a lot of memories. I’ve lived on the West coast, Northwest and Southwest since 1977. But when you start mentioning all those PA places and HS names, I still remember all of them.

Haven't lived in PA for some years, but used to take an alternate route from Harrisburg to State College on gamedays. Go up Route 11 on "that side of the river" and pick up Route 104 to go Northwest through Middleburg and Penns Creek, eventually hit Rt. 45 a little bit west of Mifflinburg and take that over to Boalsburg, on to State College

Scenic drive, missed a lot of traffic
That is an awesome little off the beaten path way to go. Did that a few times ended up coming up over half way damn and all the way to lock haven. Thought it would take much longer but I beat all the traffic in shamokin damn and lewisburg.

Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT