ADVERTISEMENT

OMG, what an ending to the Vikings - Saints playoff game *

Wow is right! Keenum looked stunned that the TD was made!

Hope Philly wins next week but after that finish I can't say I'll feel too bad if Minnesota wins.

Just saw - wow. Really terrible tackling effort though - totally blew it.

Reactions: LionJim
What happened? Just back from dinner....

Saints had kicked a FG to take a 1-point lead with @ 30 seconds left. Vikings got nothing on their return. Then they got almost nothing on their plays. (1 completion for @ 10 yards, then some incomplete passes.) They had 10 sec left, and were way out of FG range. Their QB threw a ball about 30 yards on the sideline, which their receiver caught. The safety came up to tackle him (really, to undercut him), and if he did, or pushed him out of bounds, the game was over. Instead, he whiffed on the play, and the WR spun around and sprinted to the endzone as time expired. The Vikings were about to lose a game in which they had had a huge lead, and instead stole a victory. Ranks up there with the Immaculate Reception in terms of crazy endings to a playoff game.

That was ridiculous. Still trying to recover from the Steelers loss so I didn't watch much of it but the last 6 minutes were exciting

Reactions: bytir
Not an NFL guy but some good games this weekend. I believe the defender may have been trying to avoid taking out a "defenseless" receiver, that he thought the ball might be overthrown. That's all I can think of. Of course if the ball is overthrown and you lay the guy out you worry about getting a big penalty there and putting the Vikings in field goal position, all I can think of.

Last edited:
Some interesting things, Minneapolis hosts the Super Bowl this year so depending on outcome of next week that could be an interesting story line. Will be rooting for the Eagles but nice to have two teams in NFC Championship that I would pull for and some "new" blood.

Four remaining quarterbacks are Foles, Bortles, Keenum, and .... Brady. BIG advantage Patriots.

wow.........what was phillips thinking . Just tackle him. On the other hand does the thug from maryland realize that no one tried to tackle him and all he did was run for 40 yds. Great play but to stand above everyone else with your arms folded for 5 minutes is almost comical.

Saints had kicked a FG to take a 1-point lead with @ 30 seconds left. Vikings got nothing on their return. Then they got almost nothing on their plays. (1 completion for @ 10 yards, then some incomplete passes.) They had 10 sec left, and were way out of FG range. Their QB threw a ball about 30 yards on the sideline, which their receiver caught. The safety came up to tackle him (really, to undercut him), and if he did, or pushed him out of bounds, the game was over. Instead, he whiffed on the play, and the WR spun around and sprinted to the endzone as time expired. The Vikings were about to lose a game in which they had had a huge lead, and instead stole a victory. Ranks up there with the Immaculate Reception in terms of crazy endings to a playoff game.

Actually if the Saints defender had pushed him out then the Vikings would have been in FG range. Whiffing and hitting his own guy was the worst possible outcome.

If I were the Saints I would have rushed nobody and possibly told my DBs to tackle the Vikings WRs right at the line of scrimmage. Take a 5 yard holding penalty and force an untimed down from 60 yards away.

Wow. Can't believe that guy leg whipped his own man and took him out of the play as well.

Great football game.

Only thing I can think is that Williams misjudged things, and was actually afraid that he was going to hit the receiver, Diggs, before the ball got there. As a result, he was trying to avoid hitting him. But if that's the case, then you have to know to turn around and get the WR, as you're the last man back.

Some interesting things, Minneapolis hosts the Super Bowl this year so depending on outcome of next week that could be an interesting story line. Will be rooting for the Eagles but nice to have two teams in NFC Championship that I would pull for and some "new" blood.

Four remaining quarterbacks are Foles, Bortles, Keenum, and .... Brady. BIG advantage Patriots.
Four remaining defenses...Philly, Minnesota, Jacksonville, New England. Big disadvantage Patriots.

Actually, Diggs caught it with about 4 secs left, so they needed to tackle him in bounds. Would have been about a 50-yard FG if he got out of bounds.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Actually if the Saints defender had pushed him out then the Vikings would have been in FG range. Whiffing and hitting his own guy was the worst possible outcome.

Actually, Diggs caught it with about 4 secs left, so they needed to tackle him in bounds. Would have been about a 50-yard FG if he got out of bounds.

my bad. I was trying to give Midnighter all the details, and didn't have a replay that showed the time left when the ball was caught.

Reactions: 94LionsFan
I’d check the defender’s bank account, it almost looked like he was throwing a block on his teammate instead of trying to make a tackle!

Lucky for the Minny receiver as he caught the ball and got into the clear that he didn’t step out-of-bounds.....how crazy would that ending have been?

Reactions: captain pipe
Four remaining defenses...Philly, Minnesota, Jacksonville, New England. Big disadvantage Patriots.
I believe they said during last night's game that the Patriots defense was back to playing well the past six games after playing well to start the season and then badly slumping for a while. Hey, I'm pulling for the Eagles just being objective.

my bad. I was trying to give Midnighter all the details, and didn't have a replay that showed the time left when the ball was caught.

Don't bother lying. You know you're still drunk with glee after the Eagles game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT