ADVERTISEMENT

One-on-one with James Franklin: Penn State coach talks NIL, playoffs and new staff

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
Morning Call Link (newspaper out of the Lehigh Valley) - it’s a good read

One-on-one with James Franklin: Penn State coach talks NIL, playoffs and new staff

When James Franklin began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Kutztown University in 1995, college football – and athletics in general – looked very different.

Players who chose to transfer had to sit out one season. Recruiting was more seasonal than a year-round endeavor. No one had heard of Name, Image and Likeness. If college athletes were paid, it was against the rules and done secretively.

Twenty-nine years later, many athletes change schools. Some wind up playing at four schools, something that once was never imagined. Recruiting is non-stop. NIL collectives pay athletes. Revenue-sharing is on the horizon.

Now as he prepares for his 11th season as the head coach at Penn State, Franklin deals with all those external factors just like coaches across the country.

He and the Nittany Lions again hope to contend for a championship in the first season of the 18-team Big Ten and for a berth in the College Football Playoff, expanded to 12 teams for the first time.

Franklin discussed the state of college football, new offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki, new defensive coordinator Tom Allen, the Beaver Stadium renovation plan and other topics in a one-on-one interview earlier this week.

Q: You said several years ago that you compared your job to being a CEO. With the transfer portal and roster management, NIL collectives and recruiting, how much of your time do you get to spend on actually coaching football?

Franklin: Typically, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., I block my schedule. If not, it’s an interview, it’s fund-raising. Recruiting will go on throughout the day. That’s kind of a mix. Now with all of the other things you’re talking about, if you don’t (block off time), you’re constantly getting pulled out. All my non-football specific responsibilities will happen before 8 o’clock or after 5 o’clock. If it’s in season, because we have a staff meeting at 7 a.m., then it would be before 7 o’clock. If not, it just gets filled.

Q: Do you have any time for yourself?

Franklin: No, but you never really did. Is it more now? Yes. But you never really did.

Q: With revenue-sharing in college athletics on the horizon, will Penn State need an NFL type of negotiator or GM or that type of position?

Franklin: I don’t know if it’s necessarily a GM because (general manager of personnel and recruitment) Andy Frank already does a lot of those things. But I do think for contract negotiations and things like that, there’s got to be somebody who has experience in that world, for sure. Everybody’s going to look at it differently in what they need and what they feel like they’re lacking. Yeah, there’s going to have to be some part of that. The question is: Does that happen separately from the football building? Does that happen under the compliance umbrella so that there’s a little bit of division or separation there? Just like the head coach in the NFL is not dealing with that if it gets challenging.

Q: Will the collectives operate within athletic departments?

Franklin: I think that’s still to be determined. There are still things that probably will have to function outside the athletic department, but not as much. I would say the majority of it will come in house.

Q: You and Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin talked about the lack of guardrails in your sport at the Peach Bowl. Have you seen any progress regarding guardrails or rules since then? Have you seen a shift in attitudes?

Franklin: No. You may see more of this come from the conferences and the commissioners. At this stage you can’t rely on the NCAA to do that. It’s going to be (Big Ten commissioner) Tony Petitti and (Southeastern Conference commissioner) Greg Sankey that are essentially running college football right now. As we get through some of the stuff, the NCAA may get back in or there may be a total divide with football and maybe basketball. Right now, I think most of it is going to come from the commissioners, especially the Big Ten and the SEC.

Penn State football coach James Franklin: You've got to do whatever you possibly can to give yourself a chance to be undefeated at the end of the season. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)
Penn State football coach James Franklin: “You’ve got to do whatever you possibly can to give yourself a chance to be undefeated at the end of the season.” (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)
Q: As you get older, do you believe that your skin has gotten thicker? Were you a lot more thin-skinned when you were younger?

Franklin: Yes. My skin has gotten a lot thicker. Things that in the old days would have really hung heavily on my heart, my mind and my shoulders for a number of days, I now get over much quicker. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. I think that thin skin allowed me at a place like Vanderbilt to fight a ton of battles that I needed to fight. They were probably emotionally driven. It was probably the same way when I first got here to Penn State. I don’t think people realize that our best years (as a coaching staff) were probably those first two years because of what we walked into (after the massive NCAA sanctions). I think that same thin skin was needed earlier in my career because it creates energy. There were so many battles that needed to be fought.

Q: How would you describe these last 10 years in two or three words?

Franklin: I would say very rewarding, very challenging and complex.

Q: Are you happy here?

Franklin: I am very happy here. There are times when we make it much harder than it needs to be here when we should be spending all of our time and energy fighting West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan. And we’re not. I don’t think a lot of people understand that.

Q: With the College Football Playoff expanding to 12 teams this year, are the stakes and pressure increased for you and Penn State?

Franklin: I don’t think so. I think the opportunities are greater. There’s a bigger window. Somebody pointed out that we would have been a team most affected by a 12-team playoff. I look at it as a bigger window and a bigger opportunity probably like some teams in the SEC West used to feel.

Q: What specific challenges does an 18-team Big Ten present to your program?

Franklin: We’re one of two programs from the Northeast (along with Rutgers). Our travel is more significant than anybody and even more so here because of the size of our airport. That’s going to create a ton of challenges for us that other schools don’t have. It’s a very similar challenge to what we have in recruiting and getting in and out of this place. It’s not easy. If you try to build the Big Ten the same way you built the SEC in terms of conference rules, teams, most of their games are driveable. We could play an 8 o’clock (Pacific time) game on the West Coast every three years the way the rules are now. We won’t get back to State College until 10 in the morning. Not only does it affect how you play in that game and playing at that time of night, which we’re not used to, but it has a huge impact on the following week. It’s no different than when we played in Ireland. We didn’t really recover from that game for three weeks. It’s very different being at Penn State and Rutgers than being at, say, Nebraska.

Q: Now that you’ve worked with Andy Kotelnicki for five months, what do you believe he can do for the offense?

Franklin: Philosophically, if you combine what Mike (Yurcich) did and what Joe Moorhead did and what Ricky Rahne did, we won’t be a whole lot different in terms of the plays we’ll be running. There are a few wrinkles that you saw at Kansas (Kotelnicki’s most recent stop) that we did not do under Mike but that we did do under Joe that I think will come back. The biggest thing is that we’re a relationship-based program. We always have been. I’m a relational leader. He’s a relational leader. He loves people. He loves the staff. He loves the players. He’s charismatic. He’s fun. So I think there’s a lot more esprit de corps. We’re all in this thing together. We’re all pulling the rope in the same direction. Here is how we’re going to operate. This is the reason why we’re going to do things. To me that’s the biggest thing. It also helps that he’s been a play-caller for 19 years. Experience counts. Experience matters.

Q: What have you learned about Tom Allen that you didn’t know about him before you hired him? How can he continue the defense’s momentum?

Franklin: He is who I thought he was. A lot of times you interact with people at Big Ten Media Days or at head coaches meetings, and you’re getting small doses of people. Then you spend 15 hours a day with him and you find out whether they are who you thought they were. He is. He’s a really good person who’s passionate about football. He’s a relational guy as well. I’ve already seen a really strong connection between him and the linebackers. I also think there’s been more of an adjustment for him than Andy because Andy’s still doing the same job. Tom is now doing a different job but one he did for a long time. He’s back doing it full time. I do think the head coaching experience helps him. There’s still getting back into the rhythm of being a full-time defensive guy. In terms of defense – knock on wood – we’ve been fortunate really since I’ve been here. We’ve been really good on defense. Manny (former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz) gets a lot of credit and deservedly so. But Bob Shoop had a top 10 defense. Brent Pry had a top 10 defense. Manny had a top 10 defense. Like Joe Moorhead, Manny was fortunate to walk into a defense that was pretty loaded athletically. Tom has the ability to do the same thing. The fact that we’re not starting over allows us to keep this ship rolling and play to our strengths. You hope that defensively we can be similar. And offensively you hope you have an improvement. The reality for both sides of the ball is that we have to be at our best when it matters most, in the biggest games.

Q: What are your thoughts on the Beaver Stadium renovation plan? What can it do for your program and your fans?

Franklin: Actually for the football program, we needed to take care of Lasch. That’s been my belief because we’re in this building 365 days a year. The reality is that we’re only in that building seven days a year. That stadium is more impactful on the athletic department and the other sports and more impactful on the community and the state than it is specifically for football. We’ve had great environments and great games, all that stuff. But it makes no sense to have a building of that magnitude be used seven days a year. To have a Flyers-Penguins game there makes a ton of sense. To have more concerts there makes a ton of sense. For us to continue where we want to go as an athletic department, these things had to be resolved. Does it impact football and are we excited about it? Yes. Is it going to be an awesome venue? Yes. Every recruit for every other sport is at our games. It’s their selling point. Up to this point, Penn State football has essentially created revenue to support every other sport. That has to continue. When Penn State football is healthy, everybody wins.

Q: What do you still love about coaching?

Franklin: There are certain times of the year with the transfer portal and with NIL – I don’t want this to come off the wrong way that I’m against NIL because I’m not – but you’re wearing a hat you never thought you would have to wear. There are certain times of the year you have to get through when it’s … challenging and very different from the job that I signed up for. But just like I tell the donors, the alumni and the lettermen, when the job changes and when the industry changes, you better change and you better change with it. And you better be bold and aggressive. Once you get out of those times, they’re still kids. That’s why I got into this profession. That’s why I’m still in this profession. That’s why I didn’t go to the NFL except for that one year (as an assistant coach with the Green Bay Packers). I genuinely still love challenging the players, kidding around with them, holding them accountable, having great conversations with them, having tough conversations with them, watching them grow, watching a kid who comes here as a total knucklehead and you feel comfortable that he leaves prepared for life. They think this is hard, but there’s a whole real world out there. I’m probably more worried about that with the NIL aspect than ever before. If you look at the guys whose NFL careers come to an end earlier than they think – which is all of them – they struggle with that change. We take a lot of pride in preparing our guys for that. I worry now with NIL about guys who never make it to the NFL and they have to go out and get a real job. And they’re like, “What do you mean I have to work all these hours for $50,000 a year?” That reality is going to smack some guys in the face if you’re not preparing and educating them.

Q: You mentioned several years ago that your goal is to become the first African-American college football coach to win a national championship. Does that drive you? Is it in the front or back of your mind?

Franklin: I’ve maybe said it once to two or three different people. Is it in the back of my mind? No doubt. Is my staff aware of that? Yes. But it’s not like a daily thing. I want to win a national championship for our players, our lettermen, the staff, (Penn State president) Neeli Bendapudi, (Board of Trustees chairman) Matt Schuyler and (director of athletics) Pat Kraft, our fans, our alumni, the state of Pennsylvania. That’s what I want to win it for.

It’s a brutal freaking job. I cannot imagine. It’s 365 for sure. Lots of interesting tidbits in the interview. He is Pennsylvania through and through, grew up in PA, went to school at East Stroudsburg, broke into coaching at Kutztown, now at PSU.
Indeed it is. And it is so much more difficult in just the five years or so. The portal and NIL were unforeseen by those in the coaching field and totally changed the job.

I expect to see more retire or jump to the NFL. Just so difficult now.

Interesting take on stadium upgrades. Seems to think it less important for football than the overall image of the school.

I wish to disagree. To recruits having an upgraded stadium will be pretty important. Compared to other major stadiums the Beav looks like an erector set. While it looks impressive inside, especially on WO and other games but the first impression as a recruit walks up leaves a lot to be desired.

"I am very happy here. There are times when we make it much harder than it needs to be here when we should be spending all of our time and energy fighting West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan. And we’re not. I don’t think a lot of people understand that."

Franklin has mentioned this concept a few times, the idea that he is fighting battles with administrators about upgrades, NIL, fundraising, etc. In this interview, he basically says "bravo(sarcastically) you've committed to updating Beaver Stadium. Yes, we've updated the locker-rooms and coaches offices.....but what about Holuba hall"' I actually don't mean this disparagingly, but I would appreciate if a journalist asked him "what specific elements need to be updated, what "fights" can be taken off your desk whereby the football team can simply concern themselves with winning football games?" It just seems like this "investment" keeps getting kicked down the road by Franklin every time the program commits real $$$ into projects he wants. It just seems opaque all the time. What specifically, from a supporting stand-point, is preventing Franklin's teams from getting where he wants them to go? I do think we pay our coaches well now, we have done the locker-rooms, $700MM to the stadium is nothing to sneeze at. Is it NIL? I'm honestly curious as to all the burdens in place on this team. Maybe someone can elucidate?

Reactions: LongJakk
"I am very happy here. There are times when we make it much harder than it needs to be here when we should be spending all of our time and energy fighting West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan. And we’re not. I don’t think a lot of people understand that."

Franklin has mentioned this concept a few times, the idea that he is fighting battles with administrators about upgrades, NIL, fundraising, etc. In this interview, he basically says "bravo(sarcastically) you've committed to updating Beaver Stadium. Yes, we've updated the locker-rooms and coaches offices.....but what about Holuba hall"' I actually don't mean this disparagingly, but I would appreciate if a journalist asked him "what specific elements need to be updated, what "fights" can be taken off your desk whereby the football team can simply concern themselves with winning football games?" It just seems like this "investment" keeps getting kicked down the road by Franklin every time the program commits real $$$ into projects he wants. It just seems opaque all the time. What specifically, from a supporting stand-point, is preventing Franklin's teams from getting where he wants them to go? I do think we pay our coaches well now, we have done the locker-rooms, $700MM to the stadium is nothing to sneeze at. Is it NIL? I'm honestly curious as to all the burdens in place on this team. Maybe someone can elucidate?
I cannot but everyone feels that way in every job. My current assignment is to do something I've done a half dozen times. They pay me well and I am happy. But every freakin day I get resistance on something that I am proposing that I know works and needs to happen. Every single day. And that has been the case with every position I've ever taken. So welcome to the club, James!

I look at the stadium as a strategic move. The stadium has to get redone. To what extent and cost? I have no idea but there is a lot of revenue left on the table by the current limitations and the fan experience has to be improved. I understand what James is saying about Lasch but that is more tactical. The criticality and priority? I have no idea. But I am sure it hurts in recruiting when someone walks into tOSU's or UM's facilities and think about how that will help them develop into an NFL player.

I cannot but everyone feels that way in every job. My current assignment is to do something I've done a half dozen times. They pay me well and I am happy. But every freakin day I get resistance on something that I am proposing that I know works and needs to happen. Every single day. And that has been the case with every position I've ever taken. So welcome to the club, James!

I look at the stadium as a strategic move. The stadium has to get redone. To what extent and cost? I have no idea but there is a lot of revenue left on the table by the current limitations and the fan experience has to be improved. I understand what James is saying about Lasch but that is more tactical. The criticality and priority? I have no idea. But I am sure it hurts in recruiting when someone walks into tOSU's or UM's facilities and think about how that will help them develop into an NFL player.
I last was outside of Michigan's football practice field and indoor complex in October 2022, and it honestly didn't look any better than PSU's complex (the caveat is that I did not go inside of the indoor complex); I actually thought that PSU had a more expansive practice complex. Based on what I saw, I would bet that it pales greatly in comparison to what most of the SEC schools have and probably OSU's; as I'm sure that those of you who have traveled to Michigan's campus know, the main sports complex area on their campus is very restricted in terms of space. However, despite that, they've won three Big 10 Championships in a row, made the Final Four in 2021 and 2022, and won the NC in 2023.

Last edited:
I last was outside of Michigan's football practice field and indoor complex in October 2022, and it honestly didn't look any better than PSU's complex (the caveat is that I did not go inside of the indoor complex); I actually thought that PSU had a more expansive practice complex. Based on what I saw, I would bet that it pales greatly in comparison to what most of the SEC schools have and probably OSU's; as I'm sure that those of you who have traveled to Michigan's campus know, the main sports complex area on their campus is very restricted in terms of space. However, despite that, they've won three Big 10 Championships in a row, made the Final Four in 2021 and 2022, and won the NC in 2023.

Yeah, and it's weird, I could be wrong, but I don't remember Harbaugh talking about stuff outside of his players. It seems like Franklin sees his legacy the way Barbour did hers. The way a lot of people in positions of power do theses days....less about day to day productivity, but more with an eye to the abstract future. Franklin will someday tout that he "modernized" penn state football. He got the donors to pay for necessary upgrades. That isn't a bad feather in the cap and it certainly is an unfortunate aspect of his job. It's just sort of a chicken or the egg scenario.....if he wins those big games, I feel like to dollars flow in. Do we lose big games or leads in 4th quarters because of the condition of our practice facility? The school coughed up a ton of dough for Mike Yurcich....that experiment didn't work and it wasn't because it wasn't funded. Look, I get it.....to get OSU/Alabama type recruits, you have to have like facilities, NIL, stadiums, etc. But the promise those programs have made is that they WIN on a big scale. Harbaugh wouldn't have had a tough time chasing dollars at Michigan after his Championship.

Reactions: WeR0206
Yeah, and it's weird, I could be wrong, but I don't remember Harbaugh talking about stuff outside of his players. It seems like Franklin sees his legacy the way Barbour did hers. The way a lot of people in positions of power do theses days....less about day to day productivity, but more with an eye to the abstract future. Franklin will someday tout that he "modernized" penn state football. He got the donors to pay for necessary upgrades. That isn't a bad feather in the cap and it certainly is an unfortunate aspect of his job. It's just sort of a chicken or the egg scenario.....if he wins those big games, I feel like to dollars flow in. Do we lose big games or leads in 4th quarters because of the condition of our practice facility? The school coughed up a ton of dough for Mike Yurcich....that experiment didn't work and it wasn't because it wasn't funded. Look, I get it.....to get OSU/Alabama type recruits, you have to have like facilities, NIL, stadiums, etc. But the promise those programs have made is that they WIN on a big scale. Harbaugh wouldn't have had a tough time chasing dollars at Michigan after his Championship.
I understand the need and desire to have modern, state of the art, comfortable and functional facilities, but it seems like it's getting to the point where you need everything to resemble the Taj Mahal. At a certain point, the one upsmanship has to end, and the staff and players need to make due with what they have. I sincerely doubt that the reason why PSU seems to lose almost every game to OSU by a td or less has to do with the fact that the Lasch Building may not have gold-plated toilets and IMAX theaters. In the end, they're here to play and coach football, and not to live at a vacation resort in the Carribean.

Last edited:
Morning Call Link (newspaper out of the Lehigh Valley) - it’s a good read

When James Franklin began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Kutztown University in 1995, college football – and athletics in general – looked very different.

Players who chose to transfer had to sit out one season. Recruiting was more seasonal than a year-round endeavor. No one had heard of Name, Image and Likeness. If college athletes were paid, it was against the rules and done secretively.

Twenty-nine years later, many athletes change schools. Some wind up playing at four schools, something that once was never imagined. Recruiting is non-stop. NIL collectives pay athletes. Revenue-sharing is on the horizon.

Now as he prepares for his 11th season as the head coach at Penn State, Franklin deals with all those external factors just like coaches across the country.

He and the Nittany Lions again hope to contend for a championship in the first season of the 18-team Big Ten and for a berth in the College Football Playoff, expanded to 12 teams for the first time.

Franklin discussed the state of college football, new offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki, new defensive coordinator Tom Allen, the Beaver Stadium renovation plan and other topics in a one-on-one interview earlier this week.

Q: You said several years ago that you compared your job to being a CEO. With the transfer portal and roster management, NIL collectives and recruiting, how much of your time do you get to spend on actually coaching football?

Franklin: Typically, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., I block my schedule. If not, it’s an interview, it’s fund-raising. Recruiting will go on throughout the day. That’s kind of a mix. Now with all of the other things you’re talking about, if you don’t (block off time), you’re constantly getting pulled out. All my non-football specific responsibilities will happen before 8 o’clock or after 5 o’clock. If it’s in season, because we have a staff meeting at 7 a.m., then it would be before 7 o’clock. If not, it just gets filled.

Q: Do you have any time for yourself?

Franklin: No, but you never really did. Is it more now? Yes. But you never really did.

Q: With revenue-sharing in college athletics on the horizon, will Penn State need an NFL type of negotiator or GM or that type of position?

Franklin: I don’t know if it’s necessarily a GM because (general manager of personnel and recruitment) Andy Frank already does a lot of those things. But I do think for contract negotiations and things like that, there’s got to be somebody who has experience in that world, for sure. Everybody’s going to look at it differently in what they need and what they feel like they’re lacking. Yeah, there’s going to have to be some part of that. The question is: Does that happen separately from the football building? Does that happen under the compliance umbrella so that there’s a little bit of division or separation there? Just like the head coach in the NFL is not dealing with that if it gets challenging.

Q: Will the collectives operate within athletic departments?

Franklin: I think that’s still to be determined. There are still things that probably will have to function outside the athletic department, but not as much. I would say the majority of it will come in house.

Q: You and Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin talked about the lack of guardrails in your sport at the Peach Bowl. Have you seen any progress regarding guardrails or rules since then? Have you seen a shift in attitudes?

Franklin: No. You may see more of this come from the conferences and the commissioners. At this stage you can’t rely on the NCAA to do that. It’s going to be (Big Ten commissioner) Tony Petitti and (Southeastern Conference commissioner) Greg Sankey that are essentially running college football right now. As we get through some of the stuff, the NCAA may get back in or there may be a total divide with football and maybe basketball. Right now, I think most of it is going to come from the commissioners, especially the Big Ten and the SEC.

Penn State football coach James Franklin: You've got to do whatever you possibly can to give yourself a chance to be undefeated at the end of the season. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)'ve got to do whatever you possibly can to give yourself a chance to be undefeated at the end of the season. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)
Penn State football coach James Franklin: “You’ve got to do whatever you possibly can to give yourself a chance to be undefeated at the end of the season.” (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)
Q: As you get older, do you believe that your skin has gotten thicker? Were you a lot more thin-skinned when you were younger?

Franklin: Yes. My skin has gotten a lot thicker. Things that in the old days would have really hung heavily on my heart, my mind and my shoulders for a number of days, I now get over much quicker. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. I think that thin skin allowed me at a place like Vanderbilt to fight a ton of battles that I needed to fight. They were probably emotionally driven. It was probably the same way when I first got here to Penn State. I don’t think people realize that our best years (as a coaching staff) were probably those first two years because of what we walked into (after the massive NCAA sanctions). I think that same thin skin was needed earlier in my career because it creates energy. There were so many battles that needed to be fought.

Q: How would you describe these last 10 years in two or three words?

Franklin: I would say very rewarding, very challenging and complex.

Q: Are you happy here?

Franklin: I am very happy here. There are times when we make it much harder than it needs to be here when we should be spending all of our time and energy fighting West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan. And we’re not. I don’t think a lot of people understand that.

Q: With the College Football Playoff expanding to 12 teams this year, are the stakes and pressure increased for you and Penn State?

Franklin: I don’t think so. I think the opportunities are greater. There’s a bigger window. Somebody pointed out that we would have been a team most affected by a 12-team playoff. I look at it as a bigger window and a bigger opportunity probably like some teams in the SEC West used to feel.

Q: What specific challenges does an 18-team Big Ten present to your program?

Franklin: We’re one of two programs from the Northeast (along with Rutgers). Our travel is more significant than anybody and even more so here because of the size of our airport. That’s going to create a ton of challenges for us that other schools don’t have. It’s a very similar challenge to what we have in recruiting and getting in and out of this place. It’s not easy. If you try to build the Big Ten the same way you built the SEC in terms of conference rules, teams, most of their games are driveable. We could play an 8 o’clock (Pacific time) game on the West Coast every three years the way the rules are now. We won’t get back to State College until 10 in the morning. Not only does it affect how you play in that game and playing at that time of night, which we’re not used to, but it has a huge impact on the following week. It’s no different than when we played in Ireland. We didn’t really recover from that game for three weeks. It’s very different being at Penn State and Rutgers than being at, say, Nebraska.

Q: Now that you’ve worked with Andy Kotelnicki for five months, what do you believe he can do for the offense?

Franklin: Philosophically, if you combine what Mike (Yurcich) did and what Joe Moorhead did and what Ricky Rahne did, we won’t be a whole lot different in terms of the plays we’ll be running. There are a few wrinkles that you saw at Kansas (Kotelnicki’s most recent stop) that we did not do under Mike but that we did do under Joe that I think will come back. The biggest thing is that we’re a relationship-based program. We always have been. I’m a relational leader. He’s a relational leader. He loves people. He loves the staff. He loves the players. He’s charismatic. He’s fun. So I think there’s a lot more esprit de corps. We’re all in this thing together. We’re all pulling the rope in the same direction. Here is how we’re going to operate. This is the reason why we’re going to do things. To me that’s the biggest thing. It also helps that he’s been a play-caller for 19 years. Experience counts. Experience matters.

Q: What have you learned about Tom Allen that you didn’t know about him before you hired him? How can he continue the defense’s momentum?

Franklin: He is who I thought he was. A lot of times you interact with people at Big Ten Media Days or at head coaches meetings, and you’re getting small doses of people. Then you spend 15 hours a day with him and you find out whether they are who you thought they were. He is. He’s a really good person who’s passionate about football. He’s a relational guy as well. I’ve already seen a really strong connection between him and the linebackers. I also think there’s been more of an adjustment for him than Andy because Andy’s still doing the same job. Tom is now doing a different job but one he did for a long time. He’s back doing it full time. I do think the head coaching experience helps him. There’s still getting back into the rhythm of being a full-time defensive guy. In terms of defense – knock on wood – we’ve been fortunate really since I’ve been here. We’ve been really good on defense. Manny (former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz) gets a lot of credit and deservedly so. But Bob Shoop had a top 10 defense. Brent Pry had a top 10 defense. Manny had a top 10 defense. Like Joe Moorhead, Manny was fortunate to walk into a defense that was pretty loaded athletically. Tom has the ability to do the same thing. The fact that we’re not starting over allows us to keep this ship rolling and play to our strengths. You hope that defensively we can be similar. And offensively you hope you have an improvement. The reality for both sides of the ball is that we have to be at our best when it matters most, in the biggest games.

Q: What are your thoughts on the Beaver Stadium renovation plan? What can it do for your program and your fans?

Franklin: Actually for the football program, we needed to take care of Lasch. That’s been my belief because we’re in this building 365 days a year. The reality is that we’re only in that building seven days a year. That stadium is more impactful on the athletic department and the other sports and more impactful on the community and the state than it is specifically for football. We’ve had great environments and great games, all that stuff. But it makes no sense to have a building of that magnitude be used seven days a year. To have a Flyers-Penguins game there makes a ton of sense. To have more concerts there makes a ton of sense. For us to continue where we want to go as an athletic department, these things had to be resolved. Does it impact football and are we excited about it? Yes. Is it going to be an awesome venue? Yes. Every recruit for every other sport is at our games. It’s their selling point. Up to this point, Penn State football has essentially created revenue to support every other sport. That has to continue. When Penn State football is healthy, everybody wins.

Q: What do you still love about coaching?

Franklin: There are certain times of the year with the transfer portal and with NIL – I don’t want this to come off the wrong way that I’m against NIL because I’m not – but you’re wearing a hat you never thought you would have to wear. There are certain times of the year you have to get through when it’s … challenging and very different from the job that I signed up for. But just like I tell the donors, the alumni and the lettermen, when the job changes and when the industry changes, you better change and you better change with it. And you better be bold and aggressive. Once you get out of those times, they’re still kids. That’s why I got into this profession. That’s why I’m still in this profession. That’s why I didn’t go to the NFL except for that one year (as an assistant coach with the Green Bay Packers). I genuinely still love challenging the players, kidding around with them, holding them accountable, having great conversations with them, having tough conversations with them, watching them grow, watching a kid who comes here as a total knucklehead and you feel comfortable that he leaves prepared for life. They think this is hard, but there’s a whole real world out there. I’m probably more worried about that with the NIL aspect than ever before. If you look at the guys whose NFL careers come to an end earlier than they think – which is all of them – they struggle with that change. We take a lot of pride in preparing our guys for that. I worry now with NIL about guys who never make it to the NFL and they have to go out and get a real job. And they’re like, “What do you mean I have to work all these hours for $50,000 a year?” That reality is going to smack some guys in the face if you’re not preparing and educating them.

Q: You mentioned several years ago that your goal is to become the first African-American college football coach to win a national championship. Does that drive you? Is it in the front or back of your mind?

Franklin: I’ve maybe said it once to two or three different people. Is it in the back of my mind? No doubt. Is my staff aware of that? Yes. But it’s not like a daily thing. I want to win a national championship for our players, our lettermen, the staff, (Penn State president) Neeli Bendapudi, (Board of Trustees chairman) Matt Schuyler and (director of athletics) Pat Kraft, our fans, our alumni, the state of Pennsylvania. That’s what I want to win it for.
I’ve given my share of criticism regarding Franklin. However, I believe he is a sincere, positive advocate for his players and a decent human being. I really hope he is successful, but ultimately his public legacy will be determined by whether or not he can get over the hump in terms of beating highly ranked teams.

I understand the need and desire to have modern, state of the art, comfortable and functional facilities, but it seems like it's getting to the point where you need everything to resemble the Taj Mahal. At a certain point, the one upsmanship has to end, and the staff and players need to make do with what they have. I sincerely doubt that the reason why PSU seems to lose almost every game to OSU by a td or less has to do with the fact that the Lasch Building may not have gold-plated toilets and IMAX theaters. In the end, they're here to play and coach football, and not to live at a vacation resort in the Carribean.
It’s not about once they get here, its about getting them here.

• Love
Reactions: The Spin Meister
It’s not about once they get here, its about getting them here.
Not counting the 2020 season, Franklin has won 72 games in the other seven seasons since 2016, which is an average of over ten wins a year. Maybe the state of PSU’s facilities actually contributed to that.

Stop slobbering about him, he is a coach that doesn’t have it to win big games same as Pat Chambers he will not win anything at Psu

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Not counting the 2020 season, Franklin has won 72 games in the other seven seasons since 2016, which is an average of over ten wins a year. Maybe the state of PSU’s facilities actually contributed to that.
Going forward what will be more important, NIL or facilities? The other factor is winning big games. Franklin and staff do a good job recruiting, but you have to believe that more four and five stars would have come had we beat Ohio State and Michigan at least 50% of the time.

Going forward what will be more important, NIL or facilities? The other factor is winning big games. Franklin and staff do a good job recruiting, but you have to believe that more four and five stars would have come had we beat Ohio State and Michigan at least 50% of the time.
Yes, that’s definitely true. Unfortunately, despite all of the good things that he’s done at PSU, and it’s been quite a lot if you’re being honest, his inability to beat OSU in all but one game, and then his recent record against Michigan, is pretty much his only blemish, but it’s been a very costly blemish.

One of these seasons, probably when it’s not expected, the planets are going to align and he’ll probably not only make the playoffs but advance in them.

Reactions: MacNit2.0

A lot of fans blame NIL for our struggles because it's an easy issue to blame and it makes us seem the innocent victim here. "Nothing we can do about it! We can't afford to buy recruits like the other schools!"

That could explain why we lose recruit X or recruit Y in this class, but that doesn't work as a valid excuse for why we haven't gotten over the hump as a program.

As you said, it's the repeated failure to beat other big time programs. Especially Ohio State and Michigan, but we lost to USC with the whole nation watching........which weirdly is probably the only other elite team we've played in the Franklin era (which speaks to our poor OOC scheduling and our mediocre bowl opponents).

We're becoming a bit of a running joke at this point with our inability to beat our two big conference rivals. And if some 5* WR or QB is looking at Penn State, we're not going to close the deal by showing him how we always beat Iowa and Michigan State. (to say nothing about our questionable QB development -- but that's just one example)

A lot of fans blame NIL for our struggles because it's an easy issue to blame and it makes us seem the innocent victim here. "Nothing we can do about it! We can't afford to buy recruits like the other schools!"

That could explain why we lose recruit X or recruit Y in this class, but that doesn't work as a valid excuse for why we haven't gotten over the hump as a program.

As you said, it's the repeated failure to beat other big time programs. Especially Ohio State and Michigan, but we lost to USC with the whole nation watching........which weirdly is probably the only other elite team we've played in the Franklin era (which speaks to our poor OOC scheduling and our mediocre bowl opponents).

We're becoming a bit of a running joke at this point with our inability to beat our two big conference rivals. And if some 5* WR or QB is looking at Penn State, we're not going to close the deal by showing him how we always beat Iowa and Michigan State. (to say nothing about our questionable QB development -- but that's just one example)
I must be old school but the teams with more better players almost always win.

Reactions: Obliviax
I must be old school but the teams with more better players almost always win.

Most of the times, yes. But Pitt in '16, MSU in '17/'18, Kentucky in '18, Minnesota in '19, lots of teams in '20, Iowa in '21, Illinois in '21, Arkansas in '21, etc.

At least recently we seem to be back on track in only losing to OSU and Michigan. So that's good.

Most of the times, yes. But Pitt in '16, MSU in '17/'18, Kentucky in '18, Minnesota in '19, lots of teams in '20, Iowa in '21, Illinois in '21, Arkansas in '21, etc.

At least recently we seem to be back on track in only losing to OSU and Michigan. So that's good.
No one hates losing to OSU and Michigan more than me. However, the point I was trying to make is that during Franklin’s 10 seasons, OSU had a superior roster every year and Michigan in most seasons. I guess there were a couple games where PSU may have been favored over Michigan but never against OSU. PSU’s win over OSU in 2016 was one of Meyer’s 4 losses in the Big Ten in 7 seasons and outside of Michigan which has won the last 3 years no other Big Ten team has beaten a Ryan Day OSU team.

No one hates losing to OSU and Michigan more than me. However, the point I was trying to make is that during Franklin’s 10 seasons, OSU had a superior roster every year and Michigan in most seasons. I guess there were a couple games where PSU may have been favored over Michigan but never against OSU. PSU’s win over OSU in 2016 was one of Meyer’s 4 losses in the Big Ten in 7 seasons and outside of Michigan which has won the last 3 years no other Big Ten team has beaten a Ryan Day OSU team.
Michigan has not had a superior roster most seasons....certainly not based on recruiting rankings. That has been written about. Now, were they developed and built better inside out, no question. But, Michigan hasn't exactly outrecruited psu most years...the margins have been negligible for both. OSU for sure has outdone both by a wide margin. But, sports aren't chalk....everyone knows that. It's ok to rise up and pull a big win now and then. We don't.

Michigan has not had a superior roster most seasons....certainly not based on recruiting rankings. That has been written about. Now, were they developed and built better inside out, no question. But, Michigan hasn't exactly outrecruited psu most years...the margins have been negligible for both. OSU for sure has outdone both by a wide margin. But, sports aren't chalk....everyone knows that. It's ok to rise up and pull a big win now and then. We don't.

Really? How do you define “every now and then”? Franklin is 3-7 vs Michigan and 1-9 against OSU. 4 of those losses in 2014 and 2015 were essentially guaranteed due to the sanctions. As I said before, I hate losing to OSU and Michigan as much as anyone but superior talent generally controls the outcome in football. Which SEC team has had better success against Alabama and Georgia in the past decade?

All fair points, and I agree that talent usually wins out.

But people overstate the talent advantage that OSU has over us. Yes, OSU will get more 5* kids than us, but a lot of those kids ride the bench -- only so many kids can play at once. OSU with a roster full of 85 4/5* kids looks impressive, but games are decided by about 40 players in any given game. And we have plenty of talent in our 2-deep to win big games (as we develop our talent very well).

Auburn beat Saban-coached Bama teams 4 times and probably never had more talent (even with Cam Newton in 2010).

Florida beat Georgia a few years back, and UGA was arguably the most loaded roster beyond Bama that year.

Kansas State has beaten Oklahoma 3 of the past 4 teams with far less talent.

Michigan has beaten Ohio State the past 3 years with less talent.

And so on. The talent gap between OSU and Indiana pretty much eliminates any hope for Indiana winning a game in that series. But we have the talent to win once every 3 or 4 years. We've won once in 12 years.

All fair points, and I agree that talent usually wins out.

But people overstate the talent advantage that OSU has over us. Yes, OSU will get more 5* kids than us, but a lot of those kids ride the bench -- only so many kids can play at once. OSU with a roster full of 85 4/5* kids looks impressive, but games are decided by about 40 players in any given game. And we have plenty of talent in our 2-deep to win big games (as we develop our talent very well).

Auburn beat Saban-coached Bama teams 4 times and probably never had more talent (even with Cam Newton in 2010).

Florida beat Georgia a few years back, and UGA was arguably the most loaded roster beyond Bama that year.

Kansas State has beaten Oklahoma 3 of the past 4 teams with far less talent.

Michigan has beaten Ohio State the past 3 years with less talent.

And so on. The talent gap between OSU and Indiana pretty much eliminates any hope for Indiana winning a game in that series. But we have the talent to win once every 3 or 4 years. We've won once in 12 years.
Exactly.

This constant excuse making for Franklin's ineptitude in big games especially versus OSU is tiresome and plain weak. There is no way someone can objectively look at our 1-9 record versus OSU and just shrug their shoulders and say "well they just have better players so there is nothing we can do." Well then why the hell have we lost multiple times to teams with lesser talent??

The plain fact is Franklin is very poor in winning games versus teams of equal or better talent. It can be done. It is not like it is some kind of mathematical equation that always spits out the same answer that the team with better talent always wins. It doesn't work that way and to let a guy who makes $9 million a year off the hook like this is down right criminal.

As other people have posted, the talent gap is not that great vs OSU and essentially equal versus Michigan. Yet we way underperform in wins and losses vs them. And that USC loss was the classic game of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We lose because we don't have the mental fortitude to make clutch plays, poor game planning with no ability to make adjustments and a coach who coaches scared and not to lose.

Reactions: scrivener
This constant excuse making for Franklin's ineptitude in big games especially versus OSU is tiresome and plain weak. There is no way someone can objectively look at our 1-9 record versus OSU and just shrug their shoulders and say "well they just have better players so there is nothing we can do." Well then why the hell have we lost multiple times to teams with lesser talent??

The plain fact is Franklin is very poor in winning games versus teams of equal or better talent. It can be done. It is not like it is some kind of mathematical equation that always spits out the same answer that the team with better talent always wins. It doesn't work that way and to let a guy who makes $9 million a year off the hook like this is down right criminal.

As other people have posted, the talent gap is not that great vs OSU and essentially equal versus Michigan. Yet we way underperform in wins and losses vs them. And that USC loss was the classic game of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We lose because we don't have the mental fortitude to make clutch plays, poor game planning with no ability to make adjustments and a coach who coaches scared and not to lose.
Yeah it was Franklin’s fault when all the defense had to do a few years back was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDs in the last 8 minutes. Franklin also “blew it” when a Michigan TE took a 5 yard crossing pattern for a long TD a few years back. I specifically asked what strategical decision Franklin made in that game which cost the team the game and never got an answer. Franklin goes for it on 4th down in several of those games and gets ripped but now he coaches not to lose those games. Reminds me of the “genius” reporter who criticized Franklin for not going for it on 4th and short near midfield on the first possession in the snow against MSU a few years back. According to the reporter that “led” to MSU going 99 1/2 yards after the punt was downed on the 1/2 yard line. If I recall correctly PSU had the lead in the game despite going down 14-0 early but lost on a TD pass late in the game on 4th and long. More “horrible coaching” by Franklin I suppose? I’m sure Franklin would love to hear your thoughts about how to coach players to “have the mental fortitude to make clutch plays”.

Yeah it was Franklin’s fault when all the defense had to do a few years back was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDs in the last 8 minutes. Franklin also “blew it” when a Michigan TE took a 5 yard crossing pattern for a long TD a few years back. I specifically asked what strategical decision Franklin made in that game which cost the team the game and never got an answer. Franklin goes for it on 4th down in several of those games and gets ripped but now he coaches not to lose those games. Reminds me of the “genius” reporter who criticized Franklin for not going for it on 4th and short near midfield on the first possession in the snow against MSU a few years back. According to the reporter that “led” to MSU going 99 1/2 yards after the punt was downed on the 1/2 yard line. If I recall correctly PSU had the lead in the game despite going down 14-0 early but lost on a TD pass late in the game on 4th and long. More “horrible coaching” by Franklin I suppose? I’m sure Franklin would love to hear your thoughts about how to coach players to “have the mental fortitude to make clutch plays”.
The buck stops with the head guy. Yeah, I would love to interview Franklin. He doesn't get enough tough questions.

These meltdowns are a result of poor execution by the players sure, but also you have to look at the head coach and why do they happen. The team is not mentally tough. He needs to take responsibility.

Our lines are not physical enough. Again he needs to take responsibility.

You probably think he has no accountability for the Yurcich hire or the piss poor passing game last season.

The buck stops with the head guy. Yeah, I would love to interview Franklin. He doesn't get enough tough questions.

These meltdowns are a result of poor execution by the players sure, but also you have to look at the head coach and why do they happen. The team is not mentally tough. He needs to take responsibility.

Our lines are not physical enough. Again he needs to take responsibility.

You probably think he has no accountability for the Yurcich hire or the piss poor passing game last season.
Bingo. And, bville then should not give credit to JFs coaching for the wins, if he surely won't blame him for losses.

Sorry but the talent is different. Suffers enough to matter.

Look how many four and five stars they get every year vs our numbers. And if don’t think those numbers matter you are dead wrong.

Injuries. We don’t have the same depth and injuries to players hurt us more. Losing Mustipher during the Iowa game probably cost us at least that game one more. Possibly two more. Same with other key injuries.

Game endurance. There is a reason we blow fourth qtr leads against the top teams. Our starters have to play more minutes. They get exhausted. Play through some injuries.

At least three games were stolen by refs.

His game day coaching was really poor first five years. Wasted timeouts. Delay penalties. Stupid play calling. Disorganized offense. Failure to make in game adjustments to opposition game plan. But he has come a long way in game management.

One other problem I see that rarely gets mentioned is he recruits for speed. Our d pmsyersxare undersized. Works great against equal or lessor talent. But we get manhandled by power teams. And lighter players leads to more injuries and endurance problems in games.

We don’t have the talent of Ohio State. And we are undersized to handle Michigan’s power game……few can.

We need to make that jump. Our o line seems much improved. Coaching staff better. He has two years to do so or the pressure will be huge.

Reactions: mhlarch and Hotshoe

Look how many four and five stars they get every year vs our numbers. And if don’t think those numbers matter you are dead wrong.

Injuries. We don’t have the same depth and injuries to players hurt us more. Losing Mustipher during the Iowa game probably cost us at least that game one more. Possibly two more. Same with other key injuries.

Game endurance. There is a reason we blow fourth qtr leads against the top teams. Our starters have to play more minutes. They get exhausted. Play through some injuries.

His game day coaching was really poor first five years. Wasted timeouts. Delay penalties. Stupid play calling. Disorganized offense. Failure to make in game adjustments to opposition game plan. But he has come a long way in game management.

One other problem I see that rarely gets mentioned is he recruits for speed. Our d pmsyersxare undersized. Works great against equal or lessor talent. But we get manhandled by power teams. And lighter players leads to more injuries and endurance problems in games.

We don’t have the talent of Ohio State. And we are undersized to handle Michigan’s power game……few can.

We need to make that jump. Our o line seems much improved. Coaching staff better. He has two years to do so or the pressure will be huge.
He still has to do better than 1-9. No excuse for that and you are right, Michigan's power game the last couple years exposed him. Back to OSU. We had Barkley, McSorely, Geisicki, Hamilton, on and on who went to the NFL and very little to show for it. Last year's game was pathetic. OSU was ripe for the taking and we can't take advantage because we cannot get a first down for about a quarter and a half. No adjustments made.

If he continues on this abysmal trend for a couple more years then he puts us in a real pickle. He should be on the hot seat but will he be since he would still be owed about $40 million on that stupid, one sided bloated contract that Sandy Barbour and whomever else agreed to. We should make her pay it out of her own pocket.

I specifically asked what strategical decision Franklin made in that game which cost the team the game and never got an answer.

Running Miles Sanders on 4th and 5 into the teeth of Ohio State's defensive line will go down as one of the all-time program changing stupid calls in our history.

Sure, it was Ricky Rahne's call......not James' fault, per usual. But there isn't a head coach in the business who wouldn't at least exercise veto power for a call of that magnitude in that circumstance.

Not saying that 4th and 5 is easy to convert, but that OSU defense wasn't great and Trace had their number all night. We convert there, and we have 90 seconds or so to pick up a few more yards to get into game-winning FG territory. We beat OSU, and no telling how our trajectory as a program changes. But we run Sanders on 4th and 5, and Franklin follows that up with the cringy "we're not elite" speech and then shits the bed against Michigan State.

That 8-day stretch was absolutely catastrophic for this program.

No doubt the talent matters. We had opportunities to compete with them on the recruiting trail -- we did after the 2016 season, for example. Our 2018 class was arguably better than theirs. But that momentum fell apart after OSU reasserted their dominance over us and we failed to live up to the hype in 2017.

Results impact recruiting. And losing to Michigan State back-to-back years on top of the OSU meltdowns really halted our momentum.

The "refs cost us the game" stuff is loser talk. Every fan base makes this claim, and it's rarely accurate. Yes, there were bad calls in 2014 especially, but let's be honest -- we got some huge calls in games vs. OSU, too. Remember late in the 2016 game after Haley's touchdown? OSU was driving and we got away with an obvious DPI that probably would have set OSU up for a game-tying FG at a minimum. Probably impacted the game, but that's never mentioned here. That stuff happens to every program, and fans have selective amnesia when it comes to this. Hell, we don't win the 1982 title without some generous help from the refs in that Nebraska game. It happens. Nebraska got over it.

No doubt the talent matters. We had opportunities to compete with them on the recruiting trail -- we did after the 2016 season, for example. Our 2018 class was arguably better than theirs. But that momentum fell apart after OSU reasserted their dominance over us and we failed to live up to the hype in 2017.

Results impact recruiting. And losing to Michigan State back-to-back years on top of the OSU meltdowns really halted our momentum.

The "refs cost us the game" stuff is loser talk. Every fan base makes this claim, and it's rarely accurate. Yes, there were bad calls in 2014 especially, but let's be honest -- we got some huge calls in games vs. OSU, too. Remember late in the 2016 game after Haley's touchdown? OSU was driving and we got away with an obvious DPI that probably would have set OSU up for a game-tying FG at a minimum. Probably impacted the game, but that's never mentioned here. That stuff happens to every program, and fans have selective amnesia when it comes to this. Hell, we don't win the 1982 title without some generous help from the refs in that Nebraska game. It happens. Nebraska got over it.
Spin really mentioned "game endurance," "refs," and "size," as excuses for JF. I just don't know what to say anymore, lol.

As u mentioned, refs is loser talk, and the other two are absolutely in JFs control!

He recruits tweener, undersized athletes and never changes that approach. We typically are always undersized. And, I have said multiple times on here, our S&C program is very unimpressive when it comes to the line...both OL and DL. We don't control the LOS on either side...and when do our interior OL look like the square, solid bodies that aren't slow and lazy. You would think after a decade, JF would change the schematics and program to address the issue. But, he clearly doesn't know how or care. Not to mention, OL has had a bunch of high star recruits over several yrs. Now, at the skill positions, our guys combine well. Great...so we win in that area.

But, maybe I'm reaching and JF should be pardoned for absolutely everything because PSU is just too hard to win at. Like 8% of the people on here put the majority of the blame and responsibility on JF...the rest live in fairy tale world, it's exhausting.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
He still has to do better than 1-9. No excuse for that and you are right, Michigan's power game the last couple years exposed him. Back to OSU. We had Barkley, McSorely, Geisicki, Hamilton, on and on who went to the NFL and very little to show for it. Last year's game was pathetic. OSU was ripe for the taking and we can't take advantage because we cannot get a first down for about a quarter and a half. No adjustments made.

If he continues on this abysmal trend for a couple more years then he puts us in a real pickle. He should be on the hot seat but will he be since he would still be owed about $40 million on that stupid, one sided bloated contract that Sandy Barbour and whomever else agreed to. We should make her pay it out of her own pocket.
Perhaps the issue vs UM over the past few years was blatant cheating. Don’t ever forget. They f’n knew every play.

Kids have to execute when it matters. That comes down to pedigree and coaching. You recruit high end players who know how to perform when it matters. You coach top talent to perform when it matters by putting them in situations they’ve practiced and have been coached to perform at those big moments. Typically the talent levels are pretty equal but the biggest disparity in all those big games has been the coaching. Compare the staffs at PSU vs. Ohio State and Michigan. There has always been a gap and that is huge when it comes to preparation and game day. PSU is rarely equal or better vs. really good teams especially offensively.

Kids have to execute when it matters. That comes down to pedigree and coaching. You recruit high end players who know how to perform when it matters. You coach top talent to perform when it matters by putting them in situations they’ve practiced and have been coached to perform at those big moments. Typically the talent levels are pretty equal but the biggest disparity in all those big games has been the coaching. Compare the staffs at PSU vs. Ohio State and Michigan. There has always been a gap and that is huge when it comes to preparation and game day. PSU is rarely equal or better vs. really good teams especially offensively.
Well written, would anyone swap Franklin for Michigan’s new head coach? Yes , he is 1-0 against us. Second question: the current combo of O and D coordinators, best pair here in Franklin ‘s era? Yes, haven’t seen 1 minute of their coaching and again I am not asking if there has been individual better O and D coordinators but combination of the two?
I honestly have no clue who Ohio State O coordinator is? Hartline? Day? Know the D coordinator is new from where?

Well written, would anyone swap Franklin for Michigan’s new head coach? Yes , he is 1-0 against us. Second question: the current combo of O and D coordinators, best pair here in Franklin ‘s era? Yes, haven’t seen 1 minute of their coaching and again I am not asking if there has been individual better O and D coordinators but combination of the two?
I honestly have no clue who Ohio State O coordinator is? Hartline? Day? Know the D coordinator is new from where?
with all of this and the complaints about recruiting, coaching, clock management, PSU really hasn't had a B+ or better QB in a long, long time. Trace was the best we've had and he was very fortunate to have the best RB in college football two years running behind him and some really good WRs. I feel like Sean Clifford was good his senior season but, again, doesn't compare the the tOSU QBs (or the good QBs coming out of Clemson, GA and Alabama).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT