ADVERTISEMENT

Stay or Go - that is the question…

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
Curious to hear from those who attend PSU football in person, particularly season ticket holders - will you keep attending and buy season tix or will the ongoing ‘pay for play’ and most certain ticket increases with the impending $700 million improvements cause you to ‘opt out’?

We’ve had seasons for @10 years and sit in WJ so I’m fairly sure my seats will have a dramatic increase. Also, we’ve attended PSU games for @30 years and we’re attracted by the ‘success with honor’ approach by Coach Paterno. Kudos to James Franklin for pursuing similar goals in the ‘new’ era. But the game has changed and I’m not sure it interests me as much now - please ‘respect my decision’ whatever we decide. Interested to hear others perspectives…

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69
WHU season ticket holder here and it depends on: 1. How much they increase. 2. The OOC opponents the next five years aren't worth the trip to State College. 3. The 2025 home schedule's best opponent is Oregon. In 2026, it's USC and Wisconsin. 2027 improves with Michigan and Washington. 4. If I'm no longer residing in Pennsylvania, that may make the decision for me.

I had two in WJU for many years. Probably close to 20 years if not more and I felt lucky. Not the greatest seats, I know but I was in. I punted them after 2012. Not many people remember this but they offered you a bunch of NLC points if you re-upped before the usual deadline. This makes me think they knew the hammer was going to drop but I digress.

After 2012 I quit the tickets for several reasons and I've been to a game here and there but I figure I saved $1200 for those shitty tickets every year for 12 years. I wasn't a math major but that's almost 15 grand I didn't spend on PSU football in those years. It helped put my kid through college and I still root for the Lions but I have zero regrets. I also had mens bball tickets for many years and scrapped them too. There's another couple grand.

It's what economists call a sunk cost analysis. If you had $15 or 20 grand to burn on this or something else, any pleasure trip, what would be your choice. I don't put any judgment on what you want to do. PSU football is a great thing. Just not my thing anymore.

I'm not a season ticket holder. I stopped many years ago when there was more TV coverage of the games. But, I was out last night with a friend who has been a season ticket holder for nearly 50 yrs. He feels that the game has changed with all the portals and the NIL. Kick in a new stadium and the rising costs, he said that this may be his last season.

With all of the old school giving up seats, you have to wonder if the next generations will be taking them over.

Do people really believe with the TV money that attendance means a tenth of what it used to? Major programs (and pro teams) will eventually start creating smaller stadiums with better seating to attract younger fans but that's probably a couple decades away.

Currently the stadium is pretty full most weekends despite the fact we usually have just 1 or 2 games that are actually worth the money people are spending to attend. The best part about younger generations is there's no way in hell they're going to spend monet to watch us play weak opponents. Penn State, like many teams, must schedule better or no one will be there.

Also, why do care where the money goes? You're paying to watch a game. It's not a charitable donation

Do people really believe with the TV money that attendance means a tenth of what it used to? Major programs (and pro teams) will eventually start creating smaller stadiums with better seating to attract younger fans but that's probably a couple decades away.

Currently the stadium is pretty full most weekends despite the fact we usually have just 1 or 2 games that are actually worth the money people are spending to attend. The best part about younger generations is there's no way in hell they're going to spend monet to watch us play weak opponents. Penn State, like many teams, must schedule better or no one will be there.

Also, why do care where the money goes? You're paying to watch a game. It's not a charitable donation
This x 1,000,000. The younger generation just doesn’t have the affinity for their Alma maters the way previous generations did/do. They don’t give anywhere near the same level, they don’t attend nearly the same events, they don’t care nearly as much. In this generation of “me, me, me “, they get their piece of paper and move on.

Curious to hear from those who attend PSU football in person, particularly season ticket holders - will you keep attending and buy season tix or will the ongoing ‘pay for play’ and most certain ticket increases with the impending $700 million improvements cause you to ‘opt out’?

We’ve had seasons for @10 years and sit in WJ so I’m fairly sure my seats will have a dramatic increase. Also, we’ve attended PSU games for @30 years and we’re attracted by the ‘success with honor’ approach by Coach Paterno. Kudos to James Franklin for pursuing similar goals in the ‘new’ era. But the game has changed and I’m not sure it interests me as much now - please ‘respect my decision’ whatever we decide. Interested to hear others perspectives…
Just passed 50 years as a season ticket holder with a 3 hour drive to the games with a 4 lane Rt 22 and I99. I try to go to at least 3 games per year. Had to buy a motorhome so I could attend because the cost of hotel rooms got ridiculous. The parking passes and ticket prices are slowly driving me away. The on field product and coaching has lacked in big games even though I think we have the talent to be more competitive. The OOC schedule is sad at best. NIL and a new NCAA have made the players more responsive to $$$$$$$$ than to any school. It will not be long before I'll be finished with attending games in person. What I miss the most is seeing a team that can run any time it wants against any opponent and stay competitive until the final whistle. JMO.

Agree that the TV money means as much as the attendance except that the atmosphere at the stadium makes the TV broadcast more attractive.

I don't agree that we only have 1 or 2 games worth watching. WVa, Iowa, Ind, Mich, and Rutgers were all legitimate games. I agree that Delaware & Umass were ridiculously weak but those games are early in the season when the weather is good, tailgating is great, the band is good,
and you get to see the new players for the first time.

This year Bowling Green & Kent are bad but ILL, UCLA, OSU, Wash, MD are all respectable games.

I never had season tickets after my student years. For 2 years I lived close enough to attend games, but we had 2 children under the age of three with no babysitting prospects, which made it impossible to attend games. After that I lived 5-6 hours away plus worked an average of every 3rd weekend, making having season tickets not worth it. Now I live in Florida. I did attend games including away games multiple times over the years, but season tickets and their inherent costs made no sense. Even more so now. I think in the future it is going to be hard to sell out Beaver stadium. Maybe not in the near term, but starting a few years from now.

The renovation of Beaver stadium brings an interesting dynamic that we don’t know how it will play out. One the one hand it may indeed price many people out. I’m thinking there probably will be interested parties to fill the gap there, particularly bw the 20 yd lines and lower bowl.

However, the renovations and particularly the West side rebuild may be so incredible that those tickets may be in demand and a great upgrade. A bit like the seating in the South Center part of the stadium - they’re not always filled (people inside?) but always sell for a higher price. We sat there 1 time only but it was for the greatest game I’ve seen - the 2005 victory over Ohio State. Scalped them for face value by Medlar field 40 minutes before game time I’ll never forget it.

I was a FB season ticket holder (section WH) for 40+ years starting in 1978. Why did I give up our tickets. People jumping up every play blocking our view; was spending more time watching the scoreboard. Most of our neighbors gave up tickets when the Seat Licensing began. Another reason that we stopped going to FB games was our ages -- had to park farther away because of changes in parking; took longer to get to games ( 4 miles away) because parking changes.

Finally, followed advice of brother -- got a big screen TV w/ replays; have a refrigerator filled with drinks and snacks; no traffic headaches; no one infringing on my arse room.

As for cost, it was getting pretty pricey for seat license, tickets, parking, food (that was getting barely edible).

The renovation of Beaver stadium brings an interesting dynamic that we don’t know how it will play out. One the one hand it may indeed price many people out. I’m thinking there probably will be interested parties to fill the gap there, particularly bw the 20 yd lines and lower bowl.

However, the renovations and particularly the West side rebuild may be so incredible that those tickets may be in demand and a great upgrade. A bit like the seating in the South Center part of the stadium - they’re not always filled (people inside?) but always sell for a higher price. We sat there 1 time only but it was for the greatest game I’ve seen - the 2005 victory over Ohio State. Scalped them for face value by Medlar field 40 minutes before game time I’ll never forget it.
Third party market will set the price. There will always be cheaper seats in the back of the y upper decks with 100k seats. But if you want to goober smooch with the money boys that is a horse of a different color

was an original holder of 4 club seats, $1200/year plus the cost of tickets....the first 10 years were fine, in fact, the tailgates and games became a habit. I renewed after my first 10 year obligation for another 10 years and then gave them up. Penn State got a little too greedy for me...the second contract has a 2% annual escalation clause which might not seem like much, but after 10 years adds up.
Like one of the other posters, I put my saving toward a big screen TV and watch the games from home. The first year I missed the game atmosphere and all the friends we made, but in reality, I now have new game day habits that save me a heck of a lot of time and money.
Like other posters, for me college football and PSU football have changed significantly. Soon we will have paid players, NIL players, higher ticket prices, and ongoing requests for donations to service the new stadium debt. I'll still watch on TV but a lot of the pleasure of watching players develop and the team grow from year to year is gone. I just watched an old 2004 game....lots of the same players in 2005 but what a change year over year. Now, if you need a WR, just go buy one.

Reactions: JimNazium
Been gone, family had season tickets in WBU for 40 years gave them up one year after STEP, now just buy tickets for big games don't miss trying to sell garbage non conference games anymore.
Now all this give us money to pay these kids really going to push me away.

Third party market will set the price. There will always be cheaper seats in the back of the y upper decks with 100k seats. But if you want to goober smooch with the money boys that is a horse of a different color
Could you elaborate on the meaning of ‘goober smooch’ or should I not ask?

Could you elaborate on the meaning of ‘goober smooch’ or should I not ask?
All I remember regarding this is Mr. Leonard’s famous song - “Hobnobbing With The Goobersmoochers.” You would have to know the character from morning radio shows in the 1980’s.

All I remember regarding this is Mr. Leonard’s famous song - “Hobnobbing With The Goobersmoochers.” You would have to know the character from morning radio shows in the 1980’s.
Never watched "King of the Hill", eh?

Agree that the TV money means as much as the attendance except that the atmosphere at the stadium makes the TV broadcast more attractive.

I don't agree that we only have 1 or 2 games worth watching. WVa, Iowa, Ind, Mich, and Rutgers were all legitimate games. I agree that Delaware & Umass were ridiculously weak but those games are early in the season when the weather is good, tailgating is great, the band is good,
and you get to see the new players for the first time.

This year Bowling Green & Kent are bad but ILL, UCLA, OSU, Wash, MD are all respectable games.
See there's 3 games I'd be willing to go to. UCLA Ohio State and Washington with UCLA being debatable.

Is my viewing experience better there or at home with friends and family? That's not even factoring in the drive and money spent to travel.

Do you miss the old days when psu only played army, navy, airforce, temple, wvu, bc, rutgers, maryland, pitt, Syracuse and a random Mac team?

Reactions: NJPSU
Do you miss the old days when psu only played army, navy, airforce, temple, wvu, bc, rutgers, maryland, pitt, Syracuse and a random Mac team?
No...why would I?
The difference was the game experience when it was even on TV wasn't close to the quality it is today. Back then you had to sometimes attend or you'd be listening on the radio. Now you can watch any game on your phone if you need or want to instead of spending time and money traveling to see crap.
Why do you continually ask me about Paterno's reign as though I'm critical of Franklin and supporting him?

It's what economists call a sunk cost analysis. If you had $15 or 20 grand to burn on this or something else, any pleasure trip, what would be your choice. I don't put any judgment on what you want to do. PSU football is a great thing. Just not my thing anymore.

I also stopped going in 2012. In place of season txs (WF) I upgraded my ManCave with everything I need, from a kitchen to a BBQ area. Twelve years later, it remains the best use of $$$$ I ever made. Even tho I live in Town, it would take a stick of dynamite to get me to the stadium on gameday. I still go to an occasional Bball game, but that's it as far as my in person games.

Just passed 50 years as a season ticket holder with a 3 hour drive to the games with a 4 lane Rt 22 and I99. I try to go to at least 3 games per year. Had to buy a motorhome so I could attend because the cost of hotel rooms got ridiculous. The parking passes and ticket prices are slowly driving me away. The on field product and coaching has lacked in big games even though I think we have the talent to be more competitive. The OOC schedule is sad at best. NIL and a new NCAA have made the players more responsive to $$$$$$$$ than to any school. It will not be long before I'll be finished with attending games in person. What I miss the most is seeing a team that can run any time it wants against any opponent and stay competitive until the final whistle. JMO.
Yup, paying more for a lessor product just isn't for me!! I'll go to a game here and there, maybe, but I'm done for the most part. PSU has become a 2nd tier Program. Sad!!

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Yup, paying more for a lessor product just isn't for me!! I'll go to a game here and there, maybe, but I'm done for the most part. PSU has become a 2nd tier Program. Sad!!
If they are a 2nd tier program now when were they a 1st tier program? 1994?

If attendance at the games didn't matter financially, they wouldn't pay cupcakes $500K-1M to come get beat up

People jumping up every play blocking our view; was spending more time watching the scoreboard.
Another reason that we stopped going to FB games was our ages -- had to park farther away because of changes in parking; took longer to get to games ( 4 miles away) because parking changes.
Get off my lawn! 🤣

Actually I agree. The cost is high and things like the long drive and parking issues are anything but relaxing. I think attendance at most major sporting events has become a one time per season thing for many people. $500 for 2 nights low end hotel, $300 for non prime seating, $50 parking, meals, etc and you're well over $1,000. How many are also willing to do that 7 times per year, pay for a seat license and contribute to a club or NIL?

When I was young we went to local MLB games 10 times per year. Now it's much more expensive and commuting/parking is a hassle. It costs about $200 for a couple to attend a spring training game these days when you see mostly minor league players. Of course one of the problems is that MLB games are difficult to get on TV these days. A MLB subscription blacks out your home state teams. Some games are on Apple TV, others are on Amazon Prime. You have to subscribe to a lot of stuff.

Age and health have reduced my ability to climb steps and without railings for security climbing steps would be complete idiocy.

I don’t think I will ever stop attending at least 1 or 2 games a year. It’s not just the game it’s the whole experience of returning to Happy Valley.
I very much appreciate this sentiment and I was with you up till maybe 15 years ago when the "game day" experience, pardon my French, went to shit. I live in town and I don't even want to go. Now to be fair, in nice weather it's a good time. We have a lot of bad weather and it's miserable after mid-October which a quick glance around the stands will support.

The noise, man it's just unreal. Not crowd noise, artificial noise. Every single play they're blasting some crap out of the speakers and if you sit up high on either end where those speakers are, it's a kill shot. I know, stay off my lawn and all that. Maybe it's not as bad downstairs, I don't know I rarely get to sit there. The traffic and mass of humanity is cumbersome for older people. I know, FU, this is the young man's world and all that. Fine.

I'm just stating my reasons that the game day experience is no longer optimal. There is fun to be had, still for old fogies like me if you tailgate with the right crowd but it's a rare event anymore and I used to go and sit through bad weather, likely losses, bad losses we should have won, etc. Also late games are terrible for people who live even two hours away. They're getting home with the sunrise. It's a major hassle anymore but that's just my opinion and more power to everybody who goes. We need ya.

This x 1,000,000. The younger generation just doesn’t have the affinity for their Alma maters the way previous generations did/do. They don’t give anywhere near the same level, they don’t attend nearly the same events, they don’t care nearly as much. In this generation of “me, me, me “, they get their piece of paper and move on.
Could be they are still paying off student loans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT