ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/artists whose first album was their best...

There are a bunch of bands from the late 80's and early 90's who had a hot debut album and then vanished. A standout off the top of my head is Spacehog's 'Resident Alien'. I remember one music journalist saying of all the 90's grunge/alternative bands, Spacehog would have the best and longest career. LOL.
They were really fun years. I was a booking agent at Lycoming first, then Bloom. Got to meet a ton of bands and talked to dozens. The Hooters and the Outfield toured the East Coast for quite a while and got to meet them. Also got to meet, invited into a bed with Joan Jett, she was a bit late to get on stage, banging her lead guitarist in her trailer. I took a hard pass. Lol. The best was 38 Special at Lycoming. Donnie Van Zant was the bomb. Just real folks. The contracts were pretty difficult for colleges at the time because alcohol was not allowed. So I got Donnie a few bottles of Jack. Specifically told him, keep in behind stage. He comes out slugging on stage. Didn't go over well. Lmao. Really great guys. Donnie was the nicest guy I've ever met. He was just down to earth and incredibly accommodating.

That said, the best performer I've ever seen live, and met, helped to book, was Gary Allen. That was back around 2001 in VA at the Pittslyvania County, VA fairgrounds. The Man to Man album. Massive lightning storm at the fairgrounds. He played for an hour starting at 9pm. Took a break, told everyone to take cover an he would be back. He played till 1am. He's a Bakersfield, Cali guitarist, enough said.

I was also luck to see Journey's last concert with Steve Perry at the Meadowlands. Another great live concert in awful weather, probably the best, was the Goo Goo Dolls live in Buffalo, their hometown back in 2004, July 4th. Played in an absolute downpour and lightning. John was the bomb back home. Both my nephews are born and raised in Buffalo.

I would add the Beach Boys, but they did have Surfin Safari in 62. However, in 63, they had Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, and Surfin USA. Don't know if that many albums have ever been released in one year by any other band.

Just a heads up for folks that love live music. If you haven't seen Live at Daryl's House, check it out. A great Philly boy that brings everyone into his home studio to play. It's one of those things I've recorded for posterity and save. Just a sample. I'm a huge Train fan.

There are a bunch of bands from the late 80's and early 90's who had a hot debut album and then vanished. A standout off the top of my head is Spacehog's 'Resident Alien'. I remember one music journalist saying of all the 90's grunge/alternative bands, Spacehog would have the best and longest career. LOL.

Agree.
Here is one of my favorites from the late 90's. Very unique and styles across the board.
Its really pretty good...
This is one of their more "famous" songs...

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers debut album is my favorite of theirs. Damn the Torpedoes probably gets more acclaim, but I like their debut album better.

Maybe the thread should be the album we thought was the first. :)

AKA the other White Album, some may argue Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac should excluded this. I thought it was a great album with a different sound from Peter Green's Mac, not a bad song on it.

CSN vs CSNY albums-- again, semantics both good albums but Deja Vu was put together better.

I like Steely Dan and thought Can't Buy A Thrill was very break thru with the studio mixing, Steely Dan never failed to impress.

Doors first album was good they slowly slid after that.

Led Zep's first album didn't impress me as much II and IV then they got into trippy, fishy sounding keyboard stuff.

I liked the Grunge movement, lot's of copy cat stuff with better sophomore albums.

Boston's debut blew the doors off the rock scene not a bad song on it everything good about it .

The Doobie Brothers , Captain & Me is also a classic but it was their 3rd, but one of my top 5's .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT