ADVERTISEMENT

OT: History Channel Miniseries "Grant"

I’m not sold the south had better soldiers, but they did have better officers overall, and the benefit of fighting a defensive war. There were plenty t of examples of valor from northern soldiers throughout the war.
The Iron Brigade made up of soldiers from Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin was probably the toughest unit in either army.

recognizing that the North had a huge advantage in manpower, weapons, and ammunition and devising a strategy that was essentially constant pressure and attack and winning the war of attrition is what Grant did. I think there were 5 or 6 generals before him that didn't recognize it or couldn't execute it. was he a genius, probably not. but he was a very good general in that he recognized the big picture, developed a plan, and executed it without hesitation.
Grant understood that Lee's army was the target, it had to be destroyed to win and that meant engaging it. In the movie Gettysburg (I know its a movie), Lee says something like "He loves the army, but to be victorious you have to be willing to sacrifice what you love".

Grant was the first Union general in the east who was willing to do just that. McClellan was an excellent general, good at tactics and building an army, his problem was he was more afraid of losing than he wanted to win, and he could not risk sacrificing the army.

I don't think Grant was loved by his armies, he was respected because the soldiers knew, that finally, a general was in charge that was going to see it through, at least then the casualties severed a purpose.

The Iron Brigade made up of soldiers from Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin was probably the toughest unit in either army.
General Sherman's army that "marched to the sea" was a very effective group made up primarily of farm boys from Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. They lived off the land and were able to go through very difficult wooded terrain.

Gettysburg was not a "decisive defeat" of the south. If anything, it was a draw. the casualties on both sides were almost exactly the same.
Did you follow along on what Grant did at Vicksburg? Just brilliant! And this documentary spent quite a bit of time on it.

honestly? the "brilliance" of that move didn't resonate with me. If the admiral didn't notice that the battery was shooting off the tops of the ships but wasn't hitting the ship itself. So he moved them closer to the battery because they couldn't shoot down. If that wasn't the case, vicksburg campaign would have been over before it started.

I am not saying it wasn't great war crafting. I am saying he was a good to great general but he had such an advantage over Lee and the South it makes me hesitate to put him in the same class as Lee. After watching the first two episodes, I fail to see a decisive "victory". He either won because he had a superior force or won because he just refused to be beaten. Attrition and time were his friends. The South couldn't afford attrition nor could they afford time. Grant, overall, was the only northern general to get that.

Maryland never left the Union.
You really think and believe they had a choice butted up against DC? Literally surrounding the capital? I don't know what your agenda is here, but the thought process is ridiculous. What did Baltimore want to do regarding the Union? No way in hell Lincoln was allowing a border state to succeed without consequences.

Reactions: Lyons212
At multiple points from colonization to 1860 our leadership was faced with situations where we could have evolved away from a captive labor based economy. All of the colonies/states were faced with the same cheap labor problem. Most, peacefully solved those problems. The agrarian South failed. At every point, the agrarian South fought change through the political and judiciary.

The war happened because democracy was systematically subverted to distort/overweight the minority voice. The North's problem was that allowed the distortion to go on for too long. Furthermore, the majority (northern states) failed miserably in dealing with the war's aftermath. ...another hundred years. We are still dealing with it.

So go ahead and label Grant a drunk, but what does that say for Southern leadership, political and military that they could be so devastatingly defeated by a drunk?
The north could not have ended slavery without a war. No one wanted a war. They could have allowed the South to secede but there probably would have been a war eventually over the territories.

Last edited:
The Wilderness, as brutal as it was, proved Grant's mettle. Attacking in horrible conditions in the enemy's prepared and preferred territory, it's understandable why Chancellorsville the year before was such a disaster for the Union. The only difference the following year was that Grant was in command. Instead of retreating like he was expected to do, he pushed through. That effectively ended the war, because it forced Lee to defend Richmond.

I keep coming back to what Lee said about Grant- I've read a lot, experts have opinions, but Lee was in a position to know.

I’m not a historian by any means so I am asking this question from a position of ignorance. If you are taking a defensive position and lose were your officers really better? Could the South have had a better chance at success if the had taken the offensive?
A lot goes into taking a defensive position with the ground you occupy being the most important. Many of the battles won by Lee early in the war were a result of him holding the high ground or positions easily defended. The North then had to launch frontal assaults on heavily defended positions. The tables turned at Gettysburg, and Lee lost. Lee also usually had great intelligence as a result of Jeb Stewart’s Calvary, which also failed him at Gettysburg.

Gettysburg was not a "decisive defeat" of the south. If anything, it was a draw. the casualties on both sides were almost exactly the same.

honestly? the "brilliance" of that move didn't resonate with me. If the admiral didn't notice that the battery was shooting off the tops of the ships but wasn't hitting the ship itself. So he moved them closer to the battery because they couldn't shoot down. If that wasn't the case, vicksburg campaign would have been over before it started.

I am not saying it wasn't great war crafting. I am saying he was a good to great general but he had such an advantage over Lee and the South it makes me hesitate to put him in the same class as Lee. After watching the first two episodes, I fail to see a decisive "victory". He either won because he had a superior force or won because he just refused to be beaten. Attrition and time were his friends. The South couldn't afford attrition nor could they afford time. Grant, overall, was the only northern general to get that.
Gettysburg’s was a clear Union victory. Grant at Vicksburg was shear brilliance. Most any military historian will agree with zero controversy.

You really think and believe they had a choice butted up against DC? Literally surrounding the capital? I don't know what your agenda is here, but the thought process is ridiculous. What did Baltimore want to do regarding the Union? No way in hell Lincoln was allowing a border state to succeed without consequences.
Maryland never left the Union - period. Virginia was a border state too and it did leave the Union...Lincoln’s wishes not withstanding.

My agenda? None - just providing the facts.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Maryland never left the Union - period. Virginia was a border state too and it did leave the Union...Lincoln’s wishes not withstanding.
Maryland never had a chance. Lincoln threw the leaders of the succession movement in jail before they could get a vote taken.

Little known fact, New Jersey actually took a vote of succession, obviously it failed.

I believe this is very disingenuous. Lee's men would have attacked again if ordered. I don't understand the logic of this post.

I don't give a hoot what "you believe", you're flat wrong. Lee was in abject retreat after Gettysburg - his casualty wagon-train supposedly stretched over 10 miles as he desperately fled south. There are countless articles that talk to Meade's overly cautious pursuit in cutting off his retreat. Lincoln was furious with Meade for his overly conservative disposition of his troops - in fact, it was one of primary contributors to Lincoln naming Grant the Commander of all Union Forces (and promoting him to Lt General - the first person to hold that rank since George Washington) 8 months later. In FACT, Lee retreated deep into VA after Gettysburg (ultimately in Orange County VA southwest of Frederick almost to Charlottesville) and his Army of Northern Virginia didn't fight another major engagement until the Battle of the Wilderness, which was precipitated by Grant's determination to draw him out of hiding (Grant began planning and initiating the "Overland Campaign" immediately after being named Commander of all Union forces - his intent was clear, force Lee to engage his Army by marching on Richmond in the straightest, fastest line possible. Once the engagement started at The Wilderness, Grant dogged Lee's Army relentlessly until Lee surrendered after he was defeated at the Siege of Petersburg - Lee knew Richmond, the Confederate Capital, was totally undefended and at Grant's mercy, so he did the only thing he could, surrendered. Lee's Army had been decimated and numbered only 28,000 at Appomattox.).

pretty much. i think most historians would agree that if Lee had bee in charge of the North and (pick any other general) had been in charge of the south when the war started, probably over in a year. Lee was the best tactician of the era.

what Grant had was the ability to understand that he had a massive advantage in men and materials and was willing to go that route of blunt march forward tactics knowing that if he just went dead man for dead man he would eventually win.
Also, grant was free to move his men and generals. Why Davis didn’t have lee as overall commander earlier is ridiculous. Also that lee had to sit at Petersburg and protect Richmond was a major blunder and just what grant wanted.

wait-- I thought Lee was a "precision saber" (your term) now somehow he "should" have a higher casualty rate? And Grant was the butcher?

And Grant "could take more casualties" -yet he didn't, Lee did.
Grant took 60k in a month. Yes he was labeled a butcher in the north. But he had to do what he had to do to finish off the south.

Hard to go on the offensive the first day when most his army was 30 miles from Gettysburg. Ewells corps was there the first day but he sent Earlys division to Wrightville to capture the bridge over the Susquehanna which had already been destroyed and Rhodes division was at Carlisle.
Longstreet's corps didn't arrive until the afternoon of the second day.
Lees goal was Harrisburg, he didn't plan on fighting at Gettysburg, the Union Army forced him to fight there.
His goal was not Harrisburg. It was to draw the north out on open ground and concentrate and crush him. Lee made so many blunders on that campaign it is ridiculous. First was the reorganization of the army after losing Jackson. Second was letting Stuart ride free and not guard and shield the army as well as giving information to lee on the northern army. Lee said after Chancellorsville that hookers biggest mistake was marching blind and sending his Calvary away. Lee didn’t Longstreet do what he wanted which was move to the right. He let Jackson twice at Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg make his decision. He also gave him 31k instead of 13, twice.
I could go on and on about Gettysburg.
Losing Jackson really shook him and lee managed the army in the same way instead of changing his leadership style.

Agree, Lee had two major advantages along with his own military mind, other than Gettysburg, he was fighting a defensive war and he had superior generals under him. Jackson may have been the best General in the war.
I think a great what if would be lee with Jackson and Longstreet two corps and Stuart with their army vs grant with Sherman Sheridan and Thomas. That would be some kind of battle.

Maryland never left the Union.

The town of Antietam is on the Potomac River (one side of River is MD other side is WVa, which was still VA at the time). So in reality the Army's bumped into each other at this spot along the Potomac River rather than being some major invasion of the North by Lee - Lee did not have the huge supply lines necessary to sustain a massive offensive into enemy territory as he did at Gettysburg. Antietam, while bloody, was a one day skirmish. Lee's Army immediately retreated back across the Potomac and encamped just south of Sheperdstown, VA. The Confederacy fought one offensive north of the Mason-Dixon Line (the border of PA and MD) - the Mason-Dixon Line was the accepted dividing line of the North and South. Maryland did not secede from the Union for one simple reason - the State was militarily occupied by Union Forces. Approximately 25,000 Marylanders fought for the Confederacy under the title of "The Maryland Line" - complete and utter nonsense to claim that Maryland was part of the Union. Maryland was militarily occupied at the very start of the war, but Maryland's Volunteer Army fought for the Confederacy, not the Union.

I’ve read the entire Grant biography recently, and there is no question that he was a great General.

Drinking: he did drink to excess on occasion and did have a problem stopping when he started. He did however go long stretches without touching a bottle. I think he certainly had an alcohol problem at times, but his reputation as a drunken mess is not true.

By all accounts Grant was a master strategist and field General. Yes, he took heavy losses but he knew that his job was to aggressively attack in battle and make use of his advantage of numbers and resources. Many others in his position failed to do this. He also made many unconventional decisions that turned out to be right.

One aspect of Grant that was mentioned often was his supernatural calm and level headed decision making on the battlefield. He would remain stoic and logical even a bullets whizzed by him and shells exploded near him. He was calm and collected at all times.

preternatural calm

His goal was not Harrisburg. It was to draw the north out on open ground and concentrate and crush him. Lee made so many blunders on that campaign it is ridiculous. First was the reorganization of the army after losing Jackson. Second was letting Stuart ride free and not guard and shield the army as well as giving information to lee on the northern army. Lee said after Chancellorsville that hookers biggest mistake was marching blind and sending his Calvary away. Lee didn’t Longstreet do what he wanted which was move to the right. He let Jackson twice at Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg make his decision. He also gave him 31k instead of 13, twice.
I could go on and on about Gettysburg.
Losing Jackson really shook him and lee managed the army in the same way instead of changing his leadership style.
Yes he wanted to draw The Army of the Potomac out of Virginia. But he also wanted to destroy the Rockville railroad bridge over which went most of the supplies for the Union Army in the west, take Harrisburg and threaten Philadelphia if the opportunity arose.

Harrisburg was a significant training center for the Union Army, with tens of thousands of troops passing through Camp Curtin. It was also a major rail center and a vital link between the Atlantic coast and the Midwest, with several railroads running through the city and over the Susquehanna River. As a result of this importance, it was a target of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during its two invasions. The first time during the 1862 Maryland Campaign, when Lee planned to capture the city after taking Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, but was prevented from doing so by the Battle of Antietam and his subsequent retreat back into Virginia.

The second attempt was made during the Gettysburg Campaign and was more substantial. Two full divisions of Richard S. Ewell's Second Corps approached Harrisburg in June 1863 from the southwest through Cumberland County, while a third division under Jubal Early planned to cross the Susquehanna River at Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, and attack Harrisburg from the rear. In response, Union Maj. Gen. Darius N. Couch, commanding the Department of the Susquehanna, dispatched troops to the present day borough of Camp Hill, located in the Cumberland Valley approximately two miles west of Harrisburg. Laborers hired by Couch quickly erected earthworks and fortifications along the western portion of Bridgeport, adjacent to Camp Hill. The two largest of these became known as "Fort Couch" and "Fort Washington."

On June 29, two Confederate cavalry companies attacked Union militia positions around Oyster Point, but were driven back with two wounded. This allowed officers from Ewell's staff to get a view of Harrisburg's fortifications from what is today the Drexel Hills development of New Cumberland. Based on their information, Ewell prepared for an attack but that same day Lee ordered Ewell to pull back. Lee had recently discovered that the Union Army of the Potomac was closer than he thought and desired to concentrate his forces near the South Mountain range to parry oncoming Union forces, a move that culminated in the Battle of Gettysburg.

Ewell left two cavalry units behind at a place known as Sporting Hill, on the west side of Camp Hill. Brigadier General William F. Smith, commanding the 1st Division of the Department of the Susquehanna, sent two militia infantry regiments and a cavalry company to locate the Confederates. The two forces collided the next day, fighting a short skirmish at Sporting Hill before the Confederates withdrew. This is considered by many to be the northern-most battle of the Civil War.

Last edited:
Yes he wanted to draw The Army of the Potomac out of Virginia. But he also wanted to destroy the Rockville railroad bridge over which went most of the supplies for the Union Army in the west, take Harrisburg and threaten Philadelphia if the opportunity arose.

Harrisburg was a significant training center for the Union Army, with tens of thousands of troops passing through Camp Curtin. It was also a major rail center and a vital link between the Atlantic coast and the Midwest, with several railroads running through the city and over the Susquehanna River. As a result of this importance, it was a target of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during its two invasions. The first time during the 1862 Maryland Campaign, when Lee planned to capture the city after taking Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, but was prevented from doing so by the Battle of Antietam and his subsequent retreat back into Virginia.

The second attempt was made during the Gettysburg Campaign and was more substantial. Two full divisions of Richard S. Ewell's Second Corps approached Harrisburg in June 1863 from the southwest through Cumberland County, while a third division under Jubal Early planned to cross the Susquehanna River at Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, and attack Harrisburg from the rear. In response, Union Maj. Gen. Darius N. Couch, commanding the Department of the Susquehanna, dispatched troops to the present day borough of Camp Hill, located in the Cumberland Valley approximately two miles west of Harrisburg. Laborers hired by Couch quickly erected earthworks and fortifications along the western portion of Bridgeport, adjacent to Camp Hill. The two largest of these became known as "Fort Couch" and "Fort Washington."

On June 29, two Confederate cavalry companies attacked Union militia positions around Oyster Point, but were driven back with two wounded. This allowed officers from Ewell's staff to get a view of Harrisburg's fortifications from what is today the Drexel Hills development of New Cumberland. Based on their information, Ewell prepared for an attack but that same day Lee ordered Ewell to pull back. Lee had recently discovered that the Union Army of the Potomac was closer than he thought and desired to concentrate his forces near the South Mountain range to parry oncoming Union forces, a move that culminated in the Battle of Gettysburg.

Ewell left two cavalry units behind at a place known as Sporting Hill, on the west side of Camp Hill. Brigadier General William F. Smith, commanding the 1st Division of the Department of the Susquehanna, sent two militia infantry regiments and a cavalry company to locate the Confederates. The two forces collided the next day, fighting a short skirmish at Sporting Hill before the Confederates withdrew. This is considered by many to be the northern-most battle of the Civil War.

WRONG!

Battle or raid? [ edit ] The Confederate raid by Confederate Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan into Ohio and Indiana in July 1863, and culminating in the Battle of Salineville is considered by many historians to be the northernmost land battle of the Civil War .

And it was NOT a raid.

2:17 sir and on from there.

Reactions: CJFisJoePaII
The town of Antietam is on the Potomac River (one side of River is MD other side is WVa, which was still VA at the time). So in reality the Army's bumped into each other at this spot along the Potomac River rather than being some major invasion of the North by Lee - Lee did not have the huge supply lines necessary to sustain a massive offensive into enemy territory as he did at Gettysburg. Antietam, while bloody, was a one day skirmish. Lee's Army immediately retreated back across the Potomac and encamped just south of Sheperdstown, VA. The Confederacy fought one offensive north of the Mason-Dixon Line (the border of PA and MD) - the Mason-Dixon Line was the accepted dividing line of the North and South. Maryland did not secede from the Union for one simple reason - the State was militarily occupied by Union Forces. Approximately 25,000 Marylanders fought for the Confederacy under the title of "The Maryland Line" - complete and utter nonsense to claim that Maryland was part of the Union. Maryland was militarily occupied at the very start of the war, but Maryland's Volunteer Army fought for the Confederacy, not the Union.
All true. But Maryland never left the Union.

Maryland was a border state between the Union and the Confederacy. Nearly 85,000 men signed up to join the military. Though it was a slave state, only a fourth of them joined Confederate units. The majority joined Union forces.

My only complaint about the Grant mini series is that it was about two nights too short. They spent all of about 37 minutes trying to cover Grant's eight years in the White House. This was one of the most complex and challenging Presidencies in US history. Grant had his successes and his failures as President. Some of each were mentioned, but hours could've been spent diving into the overwhelming challenges and complexities of the Reconstruction era.

As they say, "if it bleeds, it leads" so they spent the bulk of the three nights on the war. Important stuff, no doubt. But the 'peace' that Grant was tasked with winning was much more difficult and, to me, interesting than the war. Lincoln knew that he had every advantage in the North for winning the war from the start. The problem was finding someone who wasn't concerned about the newspaper editorials, who just wanted to fight and win.

The day when Grant came east the war was essentially over. He had every advantage other than having to constantly fight on the offensive.

My only complaint about the Grant mini series is that it was about two nights too short. They spent all of about 37 minutes trying to cover Grant's eight years in the White House. This was one of the most complex and challenging Presidencies in US history. Grant had his successes and his failures as President. Some of each were mentioned, but hours could've been spent diving into the overwhelming challenges and complexities of the Reconstruction era.

As they say, "if it bleeds, it leads" so they spent the bulk of the three nights on the war. Important stuff, no doubt. But the 'peace' that Grant was tasked with winning was much more difficult and, to me, interesting than the war. Lincoln knew that he had every advantage in the North for winning the war from the start. The problem was finding someone who wasn't concerned about the newspaper editorials, who just wanted to fight and win.

The day when Grant came east the war was essentially over. He had every advantage other than having to constantly fight on the offensive.

Many South-simpathetic historians have sugar-coated how utterly defeated Lee's Army was at the end - the last battle prior to Lee's surrender, Sailor's Creek, Lee lost 25% of his Army - 8,800 men - to death, casualties or surrender (mostly surrender) in a single day!! (Sailor's Creek only lasted one day). Lee told his staff, "My gosh, our Army is evaporating before our eyes.". Lee's Army was thoroughly and completely defeated just as it would have been much earlier had Grant been in the Eastern Theater after Gettysburg.

The day when Grant came east the war was essentially over. He had every advantage other than having to constantly fight on the offensive

Well, maybe, but don't neglect the importance of the 1864 election. If Abraham Lincoln were not re-elected, the outcome might have been quite different. The opposing candidate, George McClellan ran on a Peace first platform; if he had won, he might have settled with the Confederacy as a separate state just to end the hostilities.

The success of Grant and Sherman on the battlefield was important for Lincoln's win.

Don't think there was anything automatic about the outcome of the War.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I like this. What happened when the traitor confederates came to Harrisburg?

"At least 16 Confederates from the 16th and 36th Virginia Cavalry were killed during the fighting and an additional 20 to 30 were wounded. Union losses were listed at 11 men wounded."

Rebel scum. Stay the F out of Pennsylvania.

Reactions: GreggK

i really loved the first two episodes but the third smelled like an agenda. They emphasized everything done right and blew right passed what went wrong. Then, at the end, blamed Lees greater popularity over grant on southern writers with an agenda. Well, I’ve been on this earth several decades and know that the media is driven from the two coasts, not the south, Midwest or mountain states

that is the media’s game though; you are either painted as a super human super hero or a completely corrupt buffoon. I’d have loved to get more balance to understand how bad decisions are made, as well as the good.

having said that, B+ work. I learned a lot. Looking forward to the upcoming series. Kudos to the history channel

i really loved the first two episodes but the third smelled like an agenda. They emphasized everything done right and blew right passed what went wrong. Then, at the end, blamed Lees greater popularity over grant on southern writers with an agenda. Well, I’ve been on this earth several decades and know that the media is driven from the two coasts, not the south, Midwest or mountain states

that is the media’s game though; you are either painted as a super human super hero or a completely corrupt buffoon. I’d have loved to get more balance to understand how bad decisions are made, as well as the good.

having said that, B+ work. I learned a lot. Looking forward to the upcoming series. Kudos to the history channel
You make a great point. I have studied this closely for years and this was the first time I heard that the press and history writers favored Lee over Grant. Seemed totally out of left field and not accurate at all. It always seemed to me that Grant the General was portrayed >> Grant the President and Grant the General = or slightly > than Lee. Both seems about right based upon the evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT