ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is it just me, or does the NFL seem even faster this year..

Lions8286

Jul 27, 2001
than in previous years, meaning player speed. These guys are so fast at every position and hitting so hard that I was just stunned while watching the last 2 days. Maybe it's because I haven't watched since last year.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
than in previous years, meaning player speed. These guys are so fast at every position and hitting so hard that I was just stunned while watching the last 2 days. Maybe it's because I haven't watched since last year.

I agree. I didn't watch a lot of NFL over the weekend but watching some of the Eagles' game last night, I actually winced a few times at some of the hits. It just seems much more violent, even compared to CFB games I've been watching.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
It is a totally different game than college. the speed and talent is just unreal. As the years go by, I enjoy the NFL more and more.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
I thought the same. I imagine much of it has to do with defenses evolving to keep pace with offenses spreading the field more and using more short and intermediate passing in place of the traditional running game. The league has done so much to make defending passes difficult (more PI penalties, protecting QBs, etc) that defenses are having to adjust with smaller, quicker guys that cover those underneath, dink and dunk passing attacks (just look at what the Eagles were doing last night). The game seems to have become more violent as a result.

NFL has its problems like anything but it's still a pretty good game as far as I'm concerned. I know there's a lot of NFL bashing here and I understand guys not liking it but it's still something I look forward to every week/every season. Different strokes.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
Really didn't watch any of the NFL pre-season.....watched the second half of the Eagles game + the first half of the 49ers game last night.

I was stunned at the speed and, like others, shuddered at a few of the hits. Seems like a game that I'm not very familiar with......but as the season progresses it will be a game of attrition for each and every team with the teams with the least "fatal" injuries rising to the top.

Absolutely...it is football and honestly the highest level and quality of football. I enjoy it. I like the shorter half times and the shorter length of games. It is perfect...right at 3 hours for the most part...while college games tend to be about 20-30 mins longer.

While watching the Redskins-Dolphins game I was amazed at the athletic ability of Miami's #20, Reshad Jones. Eagles fans should watch for him on November 15. Wow, an incredible speed/power combination.

I agree it seems faster and I was thinking the same thing this weekend. However one of my theories is that the camera angles quality puts you more in the action every year giving the illusion it is faster now but in reality it is the same as before just with better TV coverage and technology. I am just saying without seeing most of my NFL games in person the last couple years its hard to tell what is real and what is not because of the enormous leap in coverage and TV technology. Just a theory....

I agree it seems faster and I was thinking the same thing this weekend. However one of my theories is that the camera angles quality puts you more in the action every year giving the illusion it is faster now but in reality it is the same as before just with better TV coverage and technology. I am just saying without seeing most of my NFL games in person the last couple years its hard to tell what is real and what is not because of the enormous leap in coverage and TV technology. Just a theory....

Good point.....I think the quality of the transmission, both the pic AND the sounds.....are getting all of us closer to being in the action / on the field.

I don't notice it as much on my screen (Samsung 35") ----- but my best friend's new Sony 55", well, I make sure not to sit in the front row!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT