ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Schiano was just one signature away from being UT's next coach

He is better off. I think things will get worse with Fulmer as AD. Will meddle too much.
True. Fat Phil's ego is a problem. Schiano would have been setting himself and his family up pretty nicely with that contract though. Also, Schiano is no wallflower.

Last edited:
don't disagree with your take on phil, but if schiano had signed, phil probably wouldn't be there.
Remember that he had already been named as a special advisor to the University of Tennessee president on June 20, 2017. He had a keen interest in the succession and would have been more than just lurking by the pres' side even if he had not been named AD.

There are varying views on whether the lack of signatures invalidates it. Yahoo is giving the UTk spin. Not sure it's accurate. UT is a combo of Msu lou anna and the Mustard Bros.:)

I would begin with the notion that they owe him 20 million plus. Fing AD has to learn what signing his name means.
Schiano and his attorneys will argue the MOA was a legally binding document regardless of the two missing signatures.
TN and their attorneys will argue the MOA was not binding without all signatures.

So, who will make the ultimate decision? A judge or a jury? This is where Schiano gets screwed (again).

What are the chances of finding a judge/jury of folks in TN that are sympathetic to that "child rape enabler"????? I can easily see a defendant's verdict.

Will they settle? Certainly, but probably for far less than $20 million and I don't think Schiano will want to take his chances of getting a big fat ZERO from a TN jury.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
There are varying views on whether the lack of signatures invalidates it. Yahoo is giving the UTk spin. Not sure it's accurate. UT is a combo of Msu lou anna and the Mustard Bros.:)

wonder what he gets in expectation damages

Schiano and his attorneys will argue the MOA was a legally binding document regardless of the two missing signatures.
TN and their attorneys will argue the MOA was not binding without all signatures.

So, who will make the ultimate decision? A judge or a jury? This is where Schiano gets screwed (again).

What are the chances of finding a judge/jury of folks in TN that are sympathetic to that "child rape enabler"????? I can easily see a defendant's verdict.

Will they settle? Certainly, but probably for far less than $20 million and I don't think Schiano will want to take his chances of getting a big fat ZERO from a TN jury.
This is a case involving interpretation of a contract signed by 2 parties. The basic rules of contract are fairly easy. I could see a judge deciding this case without it ever getting to the jury. The language is fairly clear.

The termination language is not limited that I saw to some future date.

Reactions: gymdad
Tell me, Pink, does the AD have apparent authority to bind the University? Pretty sure he does. Moreover, he is spending the Athletic department's money, right?

I am reading that if all those signatures are required to bind UT, then it has to say so on the face of the document. It does not say that. Not claiming i know the law, but I expect there is enough question to exist that a settlement will result.

In the end, a contract is simply an agreement the law will enforce. An MOU is not an agreement to agree at a later date--it is an agreement, with terms which bind both parties.

I think you might be surprised.

Tell me, Pink, does the AD have apparent authority to bind the University? Pretty sure he does. Moreover, he is spending the Athletic department's money, right?

I am reading that if all those signatures are required to bind UT, then it has to say so on the face of the document. It does not say that. Not claiming i know the law, but I expect there is enough question to exist that a settlement will result.

In the end, a contract is simply an agreement the law will enforce. An MOU is not an agreement to agree at a later date--it is an agreement, with terms which bind both parties.

I think you might be surprised.

They have 4 signature lines.

Most likely AD has signature authority only for items below a certain amount. This deal obviously exceeded that.

It would be clear in UT's policy manuals.

I trust Forbes:

Why Schiano may receive millions from Tenn

Thus, the key question is whether Currie's signature is sufficient, under the law, to bind Tennessee to the terms of the MOU, creating an opportunity for Schiano to receive a serious windfall. One would presume that Currie, as athletics director, had the ability to bind the university to such a contract, and a court of law may be stuck with determining whether university policy on the matter, which may require others' signatures, is relevant to the enforceability of the document.

Suppose Tennessee's AD signed a contract selling you Neyland Stadium for $5.... Would you really think it was valid?

Would anyone?

My hope is that he goes after mcqueary and gets all of his money and gives it all to charity
I'd LOVE for GS to take every nickel McQ has and leave him living under a bridge.

Easy come, easy go.

What Coach Schiano does with the money is entirely up to him. You would think McQ would donate to charity, except he had more pressing needs, with ex-wives, bookmakers, and lawyers lined up down the block.

Reactions: demlion
I'd LOVE for GS to take every nickel McQ has and leave him living under a bridge.

Easy come, easy go.

What Coach Schiano does with the money is entirely up to him. You would think McQ would donate to charity, except he had more pressing needs, with ex-wives, bookmakers, and lawyers lined up down the block.
The truth is an ultimate defense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT