ADVERTISEMENT

OT - self driving cars in 2017

Here is the worlds first lab grown meatball from a few months ago. They're aiming to have this on the market in five years.

There is an indoor lettuce factory in Japan that is half the size of a football field that produces 10,000 heads of lettuce per day. It uses 1% as much water per head as regular lettuce farming and it's unaffected by weather (assuming it has a supply of electricity). There's no need to use pesticides because there are no pests in the sterile indoor environment they use. The lettuce doesn't need cleaned because it has never been dirty.

Technology is starting to be able to do some amazing things with food. And the reaction to it is interesting because some people are like "Yeah, apply technology to food, that's good" while others are like "No, this is not natural, it's bad."

So here is my question (math guys). A football filed is 160 ft wide x 150 ft long (only half the field as stated above). That is 24,000 sq ft, If a head of lettuce is 1 ft across (just a guess) then that means 24,000 heads can be grown. 10,000 heads per day as stated above means that 1/2 of the area would have to be turned over every 1.5 days. How can you grow a head of lettuce in 1.5 days????

So here is my question (math guys). A football filed is 160 ft wide x 150 ft long (only half the field as stated above). That is 24,000 sq ft, If a head of lettuce is 1 ft across (just a guess) then that means 24,000 heads can be grown. 10,000 heads per day as stated above means that 1/2 of the area would have to be turned over every 1.5 days. How can you grow a head of lettuce in 1.5 days????
You've successfully solved the equation relating to the longstanding question...."why the need for Baby Bibb lettuce?

You're assuming there is only one level. What if it is 50 rows high?

Reactions: hlstone
I think future technology will allow us to be more independent of others. There may not be a need for more jobs, especially if families go back to be a one wage earner family. With higher productivity, wages can increase accordingly. To do so, prices for goods and services will have to come down, or people will just consume less. I think people are already consuming less than before. That frees up one person in a household to produce food, raise children, and do household chores.

Already we're seeing strains on the brick and mortar stores. Things can be handled purchased very well through your computer, and handled at a big warehouse where they are now using robotics to bring down labor costs. Growing food at home is not that hard of a project. Gardening can be done inside using hydroponics. I already do this with a greenhouse. Smaller footprint than a garden, with less intensive tending. 3-D printers will allow us to make some of the things we already need, which will do away with factory jobs.

What to do with the extra time? Virtual reality will allow us to go to many places without having to travel, if we desire. We'll be able to sit at a football game without going there. We'll probably be able to tailgate without the drive and enjoy it with others.

As for how soon. It will probably be sooner than we think. My grandfather was born in 1888. He lived to be 97. In his lifetime, he went from horse and buggy to seeing men walk on the moon. I often think he thought technology was mind boggling for him. He saw the spread of telephone usage, electricity become commonplace, man takes flight, horse travel becomes obsolete, and medical advances well beyond what people could imagine when he was a child.

Every generation follows the same path.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT