ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Travel & Food ideas, advice and discussions

Complain all you want, but their Lasagna is very good.
No, it's passable. Which isn't what most people look for in Italian restaurants. We can and should do better.

That said, there are some truly awful Italian restaurants that will make someone, in a moment of weakness, temporarily appreciate the standardized quality of an Olive Garden. Not many, but they do exist.

For example, there's a reason the place near Patuxent River MD went up in flames 15 yrs ago and was never rebuilt.

Reactions: hlstone
Complain all you want, but their Lasagna is very good.
I am in for their plate of lasagne as long as it is accompanied by three bowls of their pasta e fagioli soup. Now that is some great stuff.

For those that haven't had it, make some this weekend. Perfect for January comfort food.

I am in for their plate of lasagne as long as it is accompanied by three bowls of their pasta e fagioli soup. Now that is some great stuff.

For those that haven't had it, make some this weekend. Perfect for January comfort food.

Paisan;
That looks like a good soup but it's not pasta fagioli if you ask me. That said, there are many variations and there is no "one" recipe.
Let me give you an idea on how I would modify that recipe:
1. Lose the ground beef. It has no business being there. In fact, pasta fagioli is often a Friday Lenten meal that is obviously meat free. But I do like meat in the pasta fagioli too. However, try making small cubes of pancetta and sauteing them with some olive oil. Brown about 10 garlic cloves while you do this making sure not to burn them.
2. Remove the garlic and pancetta. Add the diced carrots to soften. Forget the onions and celery. You have garlic so you don't need onions.
3. Instead of canned beans, use dried beans. Cannellini beans (or Navy beans) soaked for 6-8 hours. Drain and simmer with fresh water and salt until tender but not breaking apart (they will cook more in the soup). While the beans are cooking add a cheesecloth bouquet filled with plenty of rosemary for the entire cook. This adds a meatiness to the beans that really make them shine.
4. Use tomato passata instead of the canned tomatoes. Delete the oregano and add some chopped fresh basil in addition to the dried basil. The thyme is OK. Also take one can of canned cannellini beans and dump the whole can into a blender and puree it to a smooth milk shake texture. Add that to the broth with the stock and tomato passata.

Just follow the process in that recipe and see what you think. If you want to mix it up, try making some flat thick pasta noodles, about 1/4 wide and an inch long. If you want a shortcut, try getting some kluski egg noddles and braking them all into very small pieces. That comes pretty close.

I'll trade you for some guanciale.
How much guancale do you think you can get in exchange for Willie.
Ill Just Leave Tony Hale GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
Paisan;
That looks like a good soup but it's not pasta fagioli if you ask me. That said, there are many variations and there is no "one" recipe.
Let me give you an idea on how I would modify that recipe:
1. Lose the ground beef. It has no business being there. In fact, pasta fagioli is often a Friday Lenten meal that is obviously meat free. But I do like meat in the pasta fagioli too. However, try making small cubes of pancetta and sauteing them with some olive oil. Brown about 10 garlic cloves while you do this making sure not to burn them.
2. Remove the garlic and pancetta. Add the diced carrots to soften. Forget the onions and celery. You have garlic so you don't need onions.
3. Instead of canned beans, use dried beans. Cannellini beans (or Navy beans) soaked for 6-8 hours. Drain and simmer with fresh water and salt until tender but not breaking apart (they will cook more in the soup). While the beans are cooking add a cheesecloth bouquet filled with plenty of rosemary for the entire cook. This adds a meatiness to the beans that really make them shine.
4. Use tomato passata instead of the canned tomatoes. Delete the oregano and add some chopped fresh basil in addition to the dried basil. The thyme is OK. Also take one can of canned cannellini beans and dump the whole can into a blender and puree it to a smooth milk shake texture. Add that to the broth with the stock and tomato passata.

Just follow the process in that recipe and see what you think. If you want to mix it up, try making some flat thick pasta noodles, about 1/4 wide and an inch long. If you want a shortcut, try getting some kluski egg noddles and braking them all into very small pieces. That comes pretty close.
I made this today as you suggested here, and I just wanted to say thanks, it was spectacular!

I think some of you will appreciate this, even though it's not a food rec.

Sometime soon, I'm heading back to San Diego. Last time I  only got a tour of my son's sub. This time, I'm going on a full blown submarine ride. They are squaring things away for a Tiger Cruise, which means family members can ride along for a day.

Sometime soon, I'm heading back to San Diego. Last time I  only got a tour of my son's sub. This time, I'm going on a full blown submarine ride. They are squaring things away for a Tiger Cruise, which means family members can ride along for a day.
Awesome! Enjoy every minute.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn

I had the honor of spending two days on the John C Stennis Nimitz class aircraft carrier a few years ago out in the Pacific. Landing on the wire and catapulting off was a bucket list moment!

Returned from Louisville with a battered and bruised liver. Don't know where you are staying @86PSUPaul, but we stayed at the Omni which was a great downtown location. We passed a lot of other hotels downtown, so there are plenty to choose from.
We did 2 distillery tours, one in the Lexington area at Woodford Reserve. That is a great tour that includes a tasting of 3 bourbons and a cocktail. It was an informative tour and the area is beautiful. It is about 5 miles from Keeneland. It's a fantastic race track and you are free to walk the entire grounds. Everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. They have a cool library and gift shop with lots of nice stuff. They will almost certainly be working horses out because the Spring Meet starts April 7th. We also went to Buffalo Trace without a tour. They have a huge gift shop with lots of swag and whiskey for purchase. If you want the hard to get stuff, you need to go at 8:00am when the lot opens and get in line. They open at 9:00, but you'll be able to get Blanton's or EH Taylor special releases. We weren't aware of this, just their opening time. So when we got there the queue was about 200 people. But I was told they are good at getting people through. We kept driving and came back in the afternoon. By then they just had Buffalo Trace and Sazerac Rye. If you want to book a distillery tour, do it today. I waited too long. Buffalo Trace is very cool. It's like a mini bourbon town with work going on 24/7.
In Louisville we did the Angel's Envy tour because we know the Event Planner there. But they did a few cool things there that I've never experienced, like the white dog trick, best explained here:

We also tasted the beer that was fermenting in their vats. A little gross, but I've had worse things in my mouth (POtY candidates should be forthcoming)
This tour also included a three bourbon/rye tasting. Then you adjourn to their bar that you can only get to at the tour's conclusion.
It appears all distilleries have limited releases that they sell every morning, so check their opening times and get there for some good stuff. I just happened by Mitcher's Saturday morning, went in and got their last bottle of their Single Barrel Release they offered that day.
As far as food/drink, we concentrated more on the drink. We arrived Thursday night and walked a few blocks and just picked a place called Whiskey Kitchen and sat at the bar. Mary and I ordered old fashioneds and food. Typical bar fare, nothing special. So I'm looking at their wall of whiskeys and none of the good stuff is on the menu with prices. So I ask what the Van Winkle series prices are, as well as the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. The Antique Collection are all $100/oz and all the Van Winkles were $150/oz. So I figured I'm in Kentucky, why not. The other bartender came over and I ordered the Pappy 20 year. She said "you want a 2 ounce pour". I'm thinking "she's shaming me into an up sell" and she's right. I say sure. She pours the drink and says that will be $152. It turns out, the second shot is $2.
giphy.gif

So, long story short, we went back Friday and Saturday too. Had the 20 year and 23 year Pappy, the Eagle Rare 17, William LaRue Weller, and George T Stagg.
If you're going to do one, have the 20 year. I went back to the well on that one Friday night.
We also had dinner at the bar at Mussel and Burger Bar which was excellent. We had lunch at Royal's Hot Chicken (but try the fish too) in the NuLu area. Lots of places to wander into here as well. There was a Cuban place across the street that I would have loved to try but didn't.
Also wandered into Justin's House of Bourbon and dropped a small fortune on some Willet Special releases.
But it wasn't all booze. We went to the Muhammad Ali Center which was very cool. I wish I could have kept Mary there longer. We also went to the Frazier Museum which is all things Louisville and Kentucky. It even had interactive stuff for kids so it is very family friendly. It had displays on business, exploration, sports, bourbon, and adventure. It's a very well done museum.
So book your bourbon tours now, and check the local calendars for events that will be going on. The Bourbon Classic was going on the entire time we were there but had no tickets.
Louisville is a great town for a long weekend visit. Highly recommend it.

Okay booze hounds. I need Food advice. Went to the US Foods Chef Store here in Charlotte to pick up some Tri Tip. None available. So I picked up some outside skirt. Googled skirt steak(never cooked before) while in the giant walk in cooler and I think most agree that outside is more tender than inside.
Cook will be done on my BGE. Anyone have experience with skirt steak?
Outside%20Skirt_Trimmed_121C.psd

Not bad to cook, pay attention to your temp, it's not super thick. It's similar to flank steak any recipes are interchangeable IMO.. Slice against the grain in small pieces, sort of think jerky..
Lots of stuff you can make with this. Marinade with a red wine if you have, or anything that will break it down a little.
It's a great steak that doesnt get alot of fan fare..

Reactions: hlstone
Okay booze hounds. I need Food advice. Went to the US Foods Chef Store here in Charlotte to pick up some Tri Tip. None available. So I picked up some outside skirt. Googled skirt steak(never cooked before) while in the giant walk in cooler and I think most agree that outside is more tender than inside.
Cook will be done on my BGE. Anyone have experience with skirt steak?
Outside%20Skirt_Trimmed_121C.psd
This is the most common cut at Argentinian steakhouses.

Find a good chimichurri recipe, both as a marinade and as a topping.

Returned from Louisville with a battered and bruised liver. Don't know where you are staying @86PSUPaul, but we stayed at the Omni which was a great downtown location. We passed a lot of other hotels downtown, so there are plenty to choose from.
We did 2 distillery tours, one in the Lexington area at Woodford Reserve. That is a great tour that includes a tasting of 3 bourbons and a cocktail. It was an informative tour and the area is beautiful. It is about 5 miles from Keeneland. It's a fantastic race track and you are free to walk the entire grounds. Everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. They have a cool library and gift shop with lots of nice stuff. They will almost certainly be working horses out because the Spring Meet starts April 7th. We also went to Buffalo Trace without a tour. They have a huge gift shop with lots of swag and whiskey for purchase. If you want the hard to get stuff, you need to go at 8:00am when the lot opens and get in line. They open at 9:00, but you'll be able to get Blanton's or EH Taylor special releases. We weren't aware of this, just their opening time. So when we got there the queue was about 200 people. But I was told they are good at getting people through. We kept driving and came back in the afternoon. By then they just had Buffalo Trace and Sazerac Rye. If you want to book a distillery tour, do it today. I waited too long. Buffalo Trace is very cool. It's like a mini bourbon town with work going on 24/7.
In Louisville we did the Angel's Envy tour because we know the Event Planner there. But they did a few cool things there that I've never experienced, like the white dog trick, best explained here:

We also tasted the beer that was fermenting in their vats. A little gross, but I've had worse things in my mouth (POtY candidates should be forthcoming)
This tour also included a three bourbon/rye tasting. Then you adjourn to their bar that you can only get to at the tour's conclusion.
It appears all distilleries have limited releases that they sell every morning, so check their opening times and get there for some good stuff. I just happened by Mitcher's Saturday morning, went in and got their last bottle of their Single Barrel Release they offered that day.
As far as food/drink, we concentrated more on the drink. We arrived Thursday night and walked a few blocks and just picked a place called Whiskey Kitchen and sat at the bar. Mary and I ordered old fashioneds and food. Typical bar fare, nothing special. So I'm looking at their wall of whiskeys and none of the good stuff is on the menu with prices. So I ask what the Van Winkle series prices are, as well as the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. The Antique Collection are all $100/oz and all the Van Winkles were $150/oz. So I figured I'm in Kentucky, why not. The other bartender came over and I ordered the Pappy 20 year. She said "you want a 2 ounce pour". I'm thinking "she's shaming me into an up sell" and she's right. I say sure. She pours the drink and says that will be $152. It turns out, the second shot is $2.
giphy.gif

So, long story short, we went back Friday and Saturday too. Had the 20 year and 23 year Pappy, the Eagle Rare 17, William LaRue Weller, and George T Stagg.
If you're going to do one, have the 20 year. I went back to the well on that one Friday night.
We also had dinner at the bar at Mussel and Burger Bar which was excellent. We had lunch at Royal's Hot Chicken (but try the fish too) in the NuLu area. Lots of places to wander into here as well. There was a Cuban place across the street that I would have loved to try but didn't.
Also wandered into Justin's House of Bourbon and dropped a small fortune on some Willet Special releases.
But it wasn't all booze. We went to the Muhammad Ali Center which was very cool. I wish I could have kept Mary there longer. We also went to the Frazier Museum which is all things Louisville and Kentucky. It even had interactive stuff for kids so it is very family friendly. It had displays on business, exploration, sports, bourbon, and adventure. It's a very well done museum.
So book your bourbon tours now, and check the local calendars for events that will be going on. The Bourbon Classic was going on the entire time we were there but had no tickets.
Louisville is a great town for a long weekend visit. Highly recommend it.
That clip is from Neat: the story of Bourbon on Hulu, great show.

Starting our planning now, we are going to get a driver for the tours that are not downtown Louisville. Two years ago we did Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, and walked around Woodford.

Any ins you can get us with the planner at Angels Envy?

We drove around Keeneland, it is beautiful. We could not get in last time because they were still having covid restrictions and only allowing owners and trainers.

Thanks for the tips!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT