ADVERTISEMENT

OT - what's your favorite breakfast meat

OT - What's your favorite breakfast meat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Upstream Eggs Benedict. Substitute smoked salmon (preferably Sockeye) for the meat. Can’t be beat washed down with a nice Bloody Mary!

180s.jpg

Reactions: Nitwit
A typo I couldn’t figure out how to correct. I was suffering from Scrapple brain when I typed it.

I fixed it for you.

You had also misspelled scrapple in the poll, as well as corned beef hash, and I corrected those as well.

Forced to choose just one, I'd go scrapple. Preferably from Wehry's in Klingerstown as they are one of the few that still use buckwheat flour.

Second would be a good corned beef hash, extra crispy with a couple of poached eggs on top as gravy.

And go to heaven with flavors of goodness??

I pride myself on being willing to try anything once and very rarely do I encounter a food I won't try again. That said, I tried scrapple and thought I was gonna die.
g

Well fish isn't technically a meat, but there's always room for lox, whitefish, sable, kippers, and even herring. A nice chopped pickled herring on a bagel with a slice of onion and a Jersey tomato is a good Sunday brunch.

Anyone who says other than bacon is lying or has never had bacon. A more interesting question might be least favorite

Anyone who says other than bacon is lying or has never had bacon. A more interesting question might be least favorite

To me, bacon ( and sausage & ham) is not just a breakfast meat, thus i focused on the others. I also subscribe to the belief of the folks at Herwig's. Bacon is an herb.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
To me, bacon ( and sausage & ham) is not just a breakfast meat, thus i focused on the others. I also subscribe to the belief of the folks at Herwig's. Bacon is an herb.
People often say that bacon makes everything better.... my retort is why ruin perfectly good bacon by combining it with something crappy!

Reactions: m48tank
Our daughter works for a chain of organic grocery stores, "Mom's", that carries the best bacon I've had..think it's Ayrshire Farms brought to you by the Lerner woman who founded Cisco Systems.

Thank you Tom. I cringed when I saw that, but turned away. Misspelling the name of such a culinary jewel, a precious food item like scrapple, is almost sacrilege.
Oh Grasshopper,

You should have purposely missspellled the word “misspell” just to see if anyone would catch it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
I have to go with goetta
gliers_grillable_goetta_variety_pack.jpg
Cincy's version of scrapple. It's not too bad, actually.

Scrapple or corned beef for me--but it's really hard to find any place that serves scrapple in Central Ohio (tho you can buy it at Giant Eagle and other places). And you forgot Taylor pork roll.... I like to go to Bob's in Manayunk for scrapple when I'm "home".

Toss up for me between bacon and scrapple... love spam too. Love sausage, especially in various diners in NJ. Have trouble finding good sausage here in central Pa, oddly enough. Also loved the sausage I had in England years ago- uniquely different than ours and really good.

Never enough bacon!
I loved the "frikadellen" they have in Germany. The place we had our conference in Heidelberg last year served small ones for breakfast--the Rathskeller in Indy serves it as a lunch sandwich (larger, of course).

Chorizo in a breakfast taco accompanied with scrambled eggs, Gouda cheese and guacamole-jalapeño salsa on the side.

I limit myself to this treasure only 3-4 times per year because of the fat content of the Chorizo.

I don't often eat big breakfasts but if I am up a few hours beforehand, like yesterday, I like to go whole hog, so to speak, and do the eggs, hash browns, toast, and some sort of meat. Yesterday I went for the scrapple, having not done that in probably a year or so, and was served two large pieces - more than I could finish. So it got me wondering if next time out, I should order another option. Often I'm happy enough to go meatless in favor of a mushroom omelette or some such item, but since this is a football board I figured we have enough carnivores here for a good poll. What say you posters?

edit - don't know how to remove "probably" from the title of the poll, sorry about that and the other typos.

I voted 'pork chop' only because I didn't want my choice confused with sausage.

I grew up in a small town in NW PA. There was a family owned convenience store with a butcher shop in the back. The owner made the best ground pork to ever hit the taste buds. I longed for it for years. Until one day recently I'm shopping at my local Tom Thumb and see this ground pork by Syracuse. So I try it. Every bit as good as the ground pork I remember growing up.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Go getcha some!

Reactions: mn78psu83

I luv it!
Did you know Hormel foods got a boost during WWII when Spam was included in GI rations. Not only did the troops like it but so did the people indigenous to the islands in the Pacific. They can't get enough of it to this day. It's their filet mignon. Have to laugh but we had this Okinawan gal at work. She craved Spam. Ate it for lunch almost everyday. Bought it by the case.

I luv it!
Did you know Hormel foods got a boost during WWII when Spam was included in GI rations. Not only did the troops like it but so did the people indigenous to the islands in the Pacific. They can't get enough of it to this day. It's their filet mignon. Have to laugh but we had this Okinawan gal at work. She craved Spam. Ate it for lunch almost everyday. Bought it by the case.
SPAM, one of the reasons HRL has been and still is a dividend aristocrat. In 2007 Hormel reported that they sold their 7 BILLIONth can of the stuff. As of the below article (2014), the number was 8 BILLION.

LINK: A Brief History of Spam, an American Meat Icon

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT