ADVERTISEMENT

OT wood pellet grill/smoker

scpsu76

Nov 7, 2011
Looking for one of these (electric) that is highly temperature adjustable and heats up to at least 700 for searing steaks and is reasonably affordable. Suggestions, please

Good luck finding a pellet

grill that can be cranked up to 700. Can't say that one doesn't exist, but it will either cost a fortune or have a short life expectancy.

Yes, don't go with a pellet grill if you want 700+ temps

If you want 700+, the best (i.e. really only) choice is a BGE.

I can get my Weber Genesis up to 600, but can't hit the 700 mark. The newer Genesis models (330+) have a "sear station" burner which provides extra BTUs for searing. I haven't used one, as mine is an earlier model.

I've heard reports of BGEs getting as high as 900.

But, you won't find a pellet or gas grill that can hit/maintain 700 or above.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:31 AM by psuguy04

it seems you want your dentist to be your doctor too!! I have a Traeger

love it!! (Art says the quality has gone down recently, but I dont know) There's a Yoder, which is about the same thing. You can get a thermosat to regulate the temperature, and they do a good job. Now getting the thing to 700?? I dont know about that, I use mine for long slow cooks, I use my gas grill for short high temperature cooks. I tried using my Treager for hotter cooks, but it really smoked, buring off all the residue left from the long slow cooks. Look at an Aaron Franklin youtube, and look at his smokers, just covered with stuff, thats where the flavor come from!! and that's what burns off when doing a hotter cook.

I don't know about 700 degrees but....

MAK pellet grills are supposed to be the best at searing among the pellet grills. In reality you probably shouldn't be using a pellet grill for those high temps for the reasons given in other posts. My Weber gas grill with the sear station will get up to 700 with everything cranked up. That thing runs hot as hell. I have a traeger for smoking but no way its getting to those high temps.

Re: MAK and Memphis

are the two pellet brands that I know of that are Stainless Steel bodied and can handle a significant hot firebox... with that being said, it is difficult for the MAK to exceed 500'F and the Memphis I have heard can get into the 600'F range but you are taxing the limits. The wood pellets you use as well will affect the high temps due to the different BTU outputs of the pelet wood and even the pellet manufacturer. Cooking pellets are designed to smoke/heat, not just full bore "heat".

What I use on my MAK 2 star are "Grill Grates".... the MAK has the ability to remove a cover plate above the fire box if being used for griliing. MAK refers to this as the "flame zone". I place the "Grill Grates" above the flame zone and allow these to pre-heat if I choose to do a reverse sear type steak or want some burgers etc.

The true reason for considering a pellet grill is for smoking at 175'F-250'F to grilling at about 400'F. A BGE is probably the most universal cooking apparatus in regards to smoking to 700'F searing. With that being said, I am still a big proponent of my MAK since I can use my gas grill to do a sear if I need just "heat". I cooked ribs yesterday on a cold, blustery day - set my MAK to 250'F, placed my seasoned ribs on it for 3.5 hours, some foil love for 45 minutes, tooth pick test to the tenderness I wanted, unfoiled, sauced for 20 minutes and served. And the great thing was, I sat back and watched the NCAA's the entire time not having to worry about adjusting dampers, feeding lump charcoal etc...

Also, for those considering a reverse sear steak, here's a great technique (Serves 4):

1) Ask the butcher for a 3" thick porterhouse (weight about 3.5 - 4 lbs)
2)Leave in the refrigerator. You want to start this cold. Season liberally with equal parts salt and course ground pepper (I use 3 T each, mixed on a plate)
3) Place steak onto smoker, standing it vertically by using the T bone as a base. Smoke for 1 hour at 200-210'F
4) While smoking, take a gas grill and heat on high.
5) After the smoking stage, Oil /spray grill grates on your gas grill. Grill on the each side for 7 minutes.
6) After grilling on each side, stand steak back up on bone end on gas grill. After additional 7 minutes, check steak until temp reads 125'F.
7) Remove steak, rest for 10 minutes. Carve 1/2 " wide steak pieces along both sides of T bone. This will result in sliced steak, anywhere from Rare to Medium, perfectly smoked flavor, with a very rich salt/pepper sear....

This post was edited on 3/23 2:07 PM by flavorguy

This post was edited on 3/23 2:10 PM by flavorguy

Grill Grates

+1 flavorguy! I have a MAK too and it's great. With grill grates, searing is no problem. When I got mine I seasoned it on high for an hour and it hit 505F. That was in July with no wind. In the winter with a breeze it will struggle to hit 450 but searing is still easily accomplished on the grill grate.

I did a pork loin roast (not a butt/shoulder) yesterday with a dalmatian rub. Put it on at noon at 225F and didn't even look at it until the remote thermometer hit 142F internal temperature. Wrapped in foil and rested for an hour and it was outstanding...juicy with a great smoke flavor. I'll be enjoying sandwiches from it all week.

Sounds like a great way to do a pork loin - I'll have to give that a try...

I've had my MAK (serial number 70) since 2011... great product and outstanding customer service from MAK as well as BPS...

Big Poppa Smokers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT