ADVERTISEMENT

Our "used car saleman" is a pretty good football coach

nittany dave

Dec 1, 2001
Ever since Franklin's first press conference, all I've heard from Pitt fans is "he's a used car salesman." Don't know if he can sell cars, but I do know he's a darn good football coach. Also a coach that isn't a raving lunatic on the sidelines every time things don't go his way, like Pat Nardouchey.

Ever since Franklin's first press conference, all I've heard from Pitt fans is "he's a used car salesman." Don't know if he can sell cars, but I do know he's a darn good football coach. Also a coach that isn't a raving lunatic on the sidelines every time things don't go his way, like Pat Nardouchey.

I like CJF and wish him great success, but....

650d79b3933aa2b4b3f264d7723bbf94.jpg

What ever James Franklin is selling, I'm a buyer.

What Franklin did at Vandy was no fluke. No coach did it Prior and Mason took Vandy right back to 3/4 win seasons after Franklin left(with the better talent Franklin brought in)

Funny that the same Pitt fans who were calling Franklin a salesman are now saying give Narduzzi time to get his players.

Narduzzi has proved to be a clown. He has no ability to adjust his system, throws his team under the bus, and acts like a Wwe manager on the field

Couldn't be a more false line of BS than that. He's a fantastic coach on EVERY score-able front. That line is for trolls and those that fear him. Competitors should fear him. Penn State is on the map and will soon re-establish itself as a college football force - DOING THINGS THE RIGHT WAY (as always)!

I would let my sons play for him ANYTIME for a multitude of reasons, incremental to merely football knowledge.

Can't wait for that idiot Lionrivival to post another thread on the Liar about how EVERY Penn State fan would sell their soul to get Nardouche as our couch.

Some points:
1) HIs overall demeanor with the media is generally calmer this year. He has cut back on the fluff
2) Dealt with o-line coaching
3) Dealt with getting a new OC
4) Pry promotion may turn out to be his best move
5) These kids love him

Now, get the penalties under control

I think yesterday was uncharacteristic for us in terms of penalties. We had been doing pretty well in that regard. I think he'll get that cleaned up. I'll add a #6- Doesn't believe in winning at all costs.

Some points:
1) HIs overall demeanor with the media is generally calmer this year. He has cut back on the fluff
5) These kids love him

We were one of the least-penalized teams in college football until the first half yesterday. Even if you count the first half, we're still one of the most disciplined teams in the country.

I bought what turned out to be a used car from him. He told told me it was a new Corvette, but it turned out to be a 1969 ZL-1. I'm really ticked and I want my $15K back!

We were one of the least-penalized teams in college football until the first half yesterday. Even if you count the first half, we're still one of the most disciplined teams in the country.

I realize that. But you have to deal deal with the anomalies immediately and slam the door before any complacency has a chance to set in.

Some points:
5) These kids love him

I like Franklin. The players seem to like him and he seems to have maintained the focus on education. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He'll be even more popular if PSU wins out and he'll become much less popular if PSU loses 2 out of their last 4. In the end he has to continue to win. That includes winning some recruiting battles.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
I like Franklin. The players seem to like him and he seems to have maintained the focus on education. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He'll be even more popular if PSU wins out and he'll become much less popular if PSU finishes 2-4. In the end he has to continue to win. That includes winning some recruiting battles.

You re right. They're not quite there yet, but I now believe CJF has the journey figured out. I haven't always felt that way. I'm the one that was wrong for not being patient and not knowing really what the program has been going through.

Reactions: Howie'81
You re right. They're not quite there yet, but I now believe CJF has the journey figured out. I haven't always felt that way. I'm the one that was wrong for not being patient and not knowing really what the program has been going through.

One thing I worry about is that Pry doesn't have a pedigree to recruit. He might be a great coach and he might work hard at recruiting but he can't tell kids about all the players he put into the NFL. Of course Charlie Weiss bragged about his NFL experience while waving championship rings in front of recruits. That didn't work out so well for him so we'll see about Pry.

Pitt fans have always been jealous of Franklin, they just try hide those feelings by pretending they don't like him. They even go as far as pretending to like their own lunatic coach.

I like Franklin. The players seem to like him and he seems to have maintained the focus on education. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He'll be even more popular if PSU wins out and he'll become much less popular if PSU loses 2 out of their last 4. In the end he has to continue to win. That includes winning some recruiting battles.

This ^^. With the Ohio State game the team (and coaching staff) got over a big hurdle. I give them all the credit in the world for never giving up and pulling out that game but let's not go too far overboard. Still 5 games to go in the season after becoming bowl eligible.

Let's see if they can continue to improve and keep the upward trajectory. The Iowa game will be a real good test.

He will certainly be less popular if PSU goes 2 and 2 in the last 4. If they do, they'll probably also finish with a better regular season record of 8-4 than any of those people predicted. The team is improving. That is what matters. I'll be pleased if they finish 8-4. I had predicted anywhere from 5 to 7 wins before the season and thought 5 after the UM game.

What Franklin did at Vandy was no fluke. No coach did it Prior and Mason took Vandy right back to 3/4 win seasons after Franklin left(with the better talent Franklin brought in)

Funny that the same Pitt fans who were calling Franklin a salesman are now saying give Narduzzi time to get his players.

Narduzzi has proved to be a clown. He has no ability to adjust his system, throws his team under the bus, and acts like a Wwe manager on the field
Come on man. Don't disrespect the WWE managers like that....

One thing I worry about is that Pry doesn't have a pedigree to recruit. He might be a great coach and he might work hard at recruiting but he can't tell kids about all the players he put into the NFL. Of course Charlie Weiss bragged about his NFL experience while waving championship rings in front of recruits. That didn't work out so well for him so we'll see about Pry.
Good Grief

Double Good Grief.

Pry was LB coach and is now defensive coordinator. Tell me about all of the stud LB recruits he's landed in the last 2 years. I didn't criticize his coaching and he might land Anthony, Proctor, etc. before this class is done. But a number of highly rated kids from our region have committed elsewhere in the past year. I can't help but wonder how much of that is because of his history coaching at lower levels. It's not a personal dig and I hope he does great. I don't think it was a ridiculous comment.

Give him time (same as Franklin) and he will start putting them into the NFL then we're off to the races... Everyone has to start somewhere...

But still needs to go to "when to call timeouts 101" He got lucky against Ohio State and it actually worked in our favor and helped us win by getting that late first half TD. But almost every other time that he has called timeouts without knowing whether we have a good chance of stopping the other team, it has cost us. I love Franklin. Love how he is for the student athletes and it is fantastic that he sat Sickles against Ohio State for missing class. That is what PSU is all about. But two things drive me crazy, his calling timeouts when they don't make sense, and his not telling us about injuries. I don't think he is getting that much of an advantage by not telling us about injuries, but as a paying customer of PSU football, I would like to know! Maybe we could set up a secret server where us insiders could get this information?

Franklin is not alone in the injury category. That's never going to change so get over it. Why do we have the right to know? This is not the NFL. As for calling timeouts....do we know why the time outs are called? If you have ever been a head coach at any level, you know there could be a multitude of reasons to call one when you didn't want to or plan to.
Fans are omnipotent and omniscient. Unfortunately, coaches and players are mere mortals. Hence the conflict.

Reactions: hlstone
You can't judge Franklin on timeouts until this year. The past two years, he blew dozens of timeouts because Donovan's offense wasn't ready to run a play. This year, most of his timeouts have paid off.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Franklin is not alone in the injury category. That's never going to change so get over it. Why do we have the right to know? This is not the NFL. As for calling timeouts....do we know why the time outs are called? If you have ever been a head coach at any level, you know there could be a multitude of reasons to call one when you didn't want to or plan to.
Fans are omnipotent and omniscient. Unfortunately, coaches and players are mere mortals. Hence the conflict.

I am not talking about timeouts called because of wrong formation, or can't get the play right. I am talking about taking timeouts at the end of the half when you don't even know whether you are going to stop the other team or whether you are going to make a first down. Example, against Minnesota we called a timeout at the end of the half when we had a lot of yardage to gain on a 3rd down. Looking at the situation, Minn. might have been the one to call timeout or maybe they would have left the clock end and go into the dressing room ahead. Instead we call timeout, don't get the first down, now Minn. has more time to try to score. We get a penalty and they make a couple of plays. Result, 3 points that they should not have had. Thankfully we won the game anyway.

But still needs to go to "when to call timeouts 101" He got lucky against Ohio State and it actually worked in our favor and helped us win by getting that late first half TD. But almost every other time that he has called timeouts without knowing whether we have a good chance of stopping the other team, it has cost us. I love Franklin. Love how he is for the student athletes and it is fantastic that he sat Sickles against Ohio State for missing class. That is what PSU is all about. But two things drive me crazy, his calling timeouts when they don't make sense, and his not telling us about injuries. I don't think he is getting that much of an advantage by not telling us about injuries, but as a paying customer of PSU football, I would like to know! Maybe we could set up a secret server where us insiders could get this information?
Oh good Lord

You and 21 Gums

Reactions: bytir and 1
But still needs to go to "when to call timeouts 101" He got lucky against Ohio State and it actually worked in our favor and helped us win by getting that late first half TD.

I don't think this was luck. As I understand it, there was debate among the staff whether to run out the clock or go for it at the end of the first half. Franklin called a time out everyone had their say and he decided to go for it. It paid off big.

He's done alright this year, but let's not get too excited. We still have to finish out the season. We have one good win this year and the offense still did not look great in it. Purdue is hardly a measuring stick. I expect us to win out. However, I'm not about to start beating my chest just yet.

You can see the growth of this team and staff and it's ok to say it. Yes they could have a hiccup, but this team 8 games into this season is playing some good ball right now. They have things to clean up and you can always improve, but the people that were crying foul early on this year basically are done. They'll be out in full force if he slips up as they live for those moments, but most knew this was a building year and you can see the team building something solid heading into 2017. The funny thing about expectations is how quickly some change their own.

During the PSU game, Beth Mowins referenced the fact that Hair-ball and scUM are the absolute worst in providing player/team information. Apparently Hair-ball not only provides no injury information, but he provides a BLANK depth chart to the media prior to games! (Mowins said it is customary for coaches and programs to provide a 2-Deep Depth Chart for the media's preparation - Mowins said Franklin does provide this "which is more than I can say for Jim Harbaugh and Michigan.....they provide a completely blank 2-Deep Chart and leave us to try to figure it out from prior weeks.....").

Reactions: hlstone
During the PSU game, Beth Mowins referenced the fact that Hair-ball and scUM are the absolute worst in providing player/team information. Apparently Hair-ball not only provides no injury information, but he provides a BLANK depth chart to the media prior to games! (Mowins said it is customary for coaches and programs to provide a 2-Deep Depth Chart for the media's preparation - Mowins said Franklin does provide this "which is more than I can say for Jim Harbaugh and Michigan.....they provide a completely blank 2-Deep Chart and leave us to try to figure it out from prior weeks.....").
It's a good thing guns isn't a "Michigan Man."

PSU didn't call timeouts during PurDont's second to last possession of 1st Half - you are utterly incorrect. On the 3rd down play, the Purdue player inexplicably went OB despite being three yards short of the 1st down marker.....stopping the clock with 1:57 to go (clock stops on OB plays in final 2 minutes of each half). On PSU's ensuing possession, a couple of catchable passes were dropped, but again, PSU did not stop the clock with timeouts contrary to your claim. Too funny that PSU's 7 play 74 yard TD drive just before the end of the half against daO$U was just "lucky" - pretty much tells everyone everything they need to know about you, LMFAO!

Reactions: bjf1991
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT