ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

This is ridiculous. These teams should be forced up. They seriously could be top 5 in the country and beating up the smallest schools in the PA. PIAA makes no sense

This has been going on for a long time. According to PIAA, the only thing that will change it is if PA changes a 1972 law.

I recently wrote my PA House of Representative member, and they didn't even respond. That suggests to me that there isn't any urgency to change the law.

There’s little money in HS wrestling coaching. Most mat clubs supplement the school stipen and these aren’t rich organizations. When you see a coach, he’s not doing it for the money. If a life situation pops up or your heart isn’t into it then there’s little preventing you from hanging up the whistle. Don’t know what the actual situation is here but probably not exciting.

Reactions: Ski
Wouldn't be shocked if Asher is up another 2 weight classes this year. Kid is growing fast (and jumping levels every time he does)

Wouldn't be shocked if Asher is up another 2 weight classes this year. Kid is growing fast (and jumping levels every time he does)
I don't doubt it. He mentioned after winning his state title that, “The biggest challenge I had to face during the season was to make weight for every tournament.”. So I can see that happening. How tall is he?

Looks like the new PIAA SQ by region changes Also passed on first of 3 readings.

AA
SE 5
NE 4
SW 7
NW4

AAA
SE 5
NE 4
SC 5
SW 3
NW 3

The last cycle the numbers spit out the same bit the steering committee gave SW an extra spot.

Looks like the new PIAA SQ by region changes Also passed on first of 3 readings.

AA
SE 5
NE 4
SW 7
NW4

AAA
SE 5
NE 4
SC 5
SW 3
NW 3

The last cycle the numbers spit out the same bit the steering committee gave SW an extra spot.
SW 7, lol. Why not make it a 64-man tourney and give SW 51 of them?

I understand how PIAA does its distributions -- based upon the number of state medalists in the previous 2-year cycle. OTOH, in 2023-2024, here is the distribution of state placers from SW Regionals:

SW-1SW-2SW-3SW-4SW-5SW-6
TOTAL211613240

Among those SW-4 and SW-5 placers: S5 (1), S6 (1), S7 (1), S8 (2).

Not exactly a compelling argument for having a SW-7 qualify for states.

SW 7, lol. Why not make it a 64-man tourney and give SW 51 of them?

I understand how PIAA does its distributions -- based upon the number of state medalists in the previous 2-year cycle. OTOH, in 2023-2024, here is the distribution of state placers from SW Regionals:

SW-1SW-2SW-3SW-4SW-5SW-6
TOTAL211613240

Among those SW-4 and SW-5 placers: S5 (1), S6 (1), S7 (1), S8 (2).

Not exactly a compelling argument for having a SW-7 qualify for states.
I agree. SW is good but give me a break.

Based off of a minimum of 3 no matter what. They’re not going to give SW more just cuz they’re even with NW. although who knows, last cycle NE was supposed to get an extra and SW one less and steering committee just said no.

Based off of a minimum of 3 no matter what. They’re not going to give SW more just cuz they’re even with NW. although who knows, last cycle NE was supposed to get an extra and SW one less and steering committee just said no.
Not my battle to fight, but if this is the outcome of the formula then the formula is terribly flawed. 6 qualifiers between the two regions makes sense but not a 3-3 split. Also not a good cycle for WPIAL wrestling if every other region is outplacing them.

The outcome gives NW 1.7 but every region gets a minimum of 3 then they distribute the extras based on amount of schools. Always been that way until last year when committee decided to ignore them and stick with prev numbers. Before the SE improved they were the o my region to get 4 fir awhile and was by far the worst performing region. SE AAA has improved greatly.

I didn't read the specifics but all regions need to have a minimum of 3 or 4 places to advance to States . If I recall years ago(1980s?) they changed to only 2 qualifiers in our area for AA. I think it lasted 2 years. All kids should have opportunity to wrestle back after tough lost or getting caught.
The Darwin theory would take place at States anyway but the kids would get a chance to reach their goal of qualifying.

Last edited:
every region should get the same amount the kids that lose,oh well!,thats wrestling and you also have to make weight!LOL

Rath skipping sr year. This is a New trend for sure. PIAA doesn’t seem to hold as much value as it used to in my day

I guess with Super 32, Fargo and team trials it not up there any more.

Just a great opportunity that 1 kid in a blue moon will take. 2nd returning champ gone this week joining Spencer who got acl fixed.

Rath skipping sr year. This is a New trend for sure. PIAA doesn’t seem to hold as much value as it used to in my day

I guess with Super 32, Fargo and team trials it not up there any more.
It's the same new opportunity that Kyle Snyder took.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Elijah Brown committed this past week to Pitt, but most of the other guys committed many months ago -- Shaw was in April, Vaughn Spencer to Lehigh was in Nov 2023, Willochell to Wyoming in Dec 2023, etc.

Can't even claim this was a 2025 recap, because Brown is 2026.
Stating the obvious, but I think that Elijah Brown is going to be one of the steals of the 2026 class.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Brown made a major jump this past year -- went 7th at districts in 2023, SW Regional champ in 2024.
Brown won the WPIAL in AA and then looked like a totally different wrestler at PIAA states going 1-2. I barely knew who he was and then I followed him at Fargo. It was one of the most insane runs I ever seen. He was literally losing every match and then would win off a challenge or crazy big move. I think he will redshift at Pitt and then be a 2 year starter or so. Solid pickup for Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT