ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

You ready for this. Elijah Brown took fourth at PA Freestyle States and then wins Fargo. Pennsylvania is so tough.

I was looking through old brackets at work. Two years ago Brandt Harer, Trey Wagner, Bo Bassett, Melvin Miller, Anthony Mutarelli and a few other now tough wrestlers were all in the same FS bracket. Mutarelli is amazing and took fifth, didn’t make Fargo.

You ready for this. Elijah Brown took fourth at PA Freestyle States and then wins Fargo. Pennsylvania is so tough.

I was looking through old brackets at work. Two years ago Brandt Harer, Trey Wagner, Bo Bassett, Melvin Miller, Anthony Mutarelli and a few other now tough wrestlers were all in the same FS bracket. Mutarelli is amazing and took fifth, didn’t make
Yes he took 4th at Freestyle States and did not place at the PIAA tournament in AA. It's all about peaking at the right time.

I was looking through old brackets at work. Two years ago Brandt Harer, Trey Wagner, Bo Bassett, Melvin Miller, Anthony Mutarelli and a few other now tough wrestlers were all in the same FS bracket. Mutarelli is amazing and took fifth, didn’t make Fargo.
I was at Freestyle States that year it was awesome. Mason Gibson had a war against Sean Logue with a huge circle of kids watching. Bassett was running through everyone. A bunch of young guys came onto the scene with big wins.

Reactions: dicemen99
Yes he took 4th at Freestyle States and did not place at the PIAA tournament in AA. It's all about peaking at the right time.
Also about matchups. He DNP because he lost to 2 better wrestlers, one of whom was a returning state finalist.

One might argue Lenzi peaked at a better time ... then again, Lenzi had better common opponent results. Hohman beat Brown 12-3 in the regular season, then pinned him at states.

Also about matchups. He DNP because he lost to 2 better wrestlers, one of whom was a returning state finalist.

One might argue Lenzi peaked at a better time ... then again, Lenzi had better common opponent results. Hohman beat Brown 12-3 in the regular season, then pinned him at states.
Hohman was absolutely the better wrestler.

Reactions: dpd926

Brown also switched clubs after AA states. Sometimes a fresh start and different perspective can bring out the best in you.

Brown also switched clubs after AA states. Sometimes a fresh start and different perspective can bring out the best in you.
Brown moved to Belle Vernon for HS. At PJWs he competed under City of Pittsburgh.

Hopefully this will work for him. Also hopefully he doesn't feel the need to change again before college, because if he does, the Law of Diminishing Returns might catch up to him.

this is for all you wrestling fans Woody Thompson former East High wrestler from 1970 state champ and all state football passed away last week I wrestled with him he was great kid that played football at Miami U .He came back to Erie and helped kids his whole life!He will be greatly missed!He also played a few ys in the NFL!

this is for all you wrestling fans Woody Thompson former East High wrestler from 1970 state champ and all state football passed away last week I wrestled with him he was great kid that played football at Miami U .He came back to Erie and helped kids his whole life!He will be greatly missed!He also played a few ys in the NFL!
every practice was worth goin to just to watch Woody and Fletcher Carr go at it!

Erie High just got a new coach who is well connected to the youth scene in Erie. It’d be great to see an Erie City school get back to that level of talent and success in wrestling

Erie High just got a new coach who is well connected to the youth scene in Erie. It’d be great to see an Erie City school get back to that level of talent and success in wrestling
yes that would be nice but East, St Vincent, Tech ,Academy and Prep all had great wrestlers come out of their schools!

yes that would be nice but East, St Vincent, Tech ,Academy and Prep all had great wrestlers come out of their schools!
This is true, but since combining into Erie High (and even since the Robie’s went through Vincent) they haven’t even sniffed that level of achievement. Cathedral Prep is still Cathedral Prep. They’ve got their pick of the litter with the talent around here since most of the Erie youth teams combined into Rambler Wrestling Club a few years ago. Erie High needs a true feeder program. That’s been their biggest hole for a long time. Their new HC should be able to connect with the local youth coaches and hopefully funnel some of that talent into EHS.

This is true, but since combining into Erie High (and even since the Robie’s went through Vincent) they haven’t even sniffed that level of achievement. Cathedral Prep is still Cathedral Prep. They’ve got their pick of the litter with the talent around here since most of the Erie youth teams combined into Rambler Wrestling Club a few years ago. Erie High needs a true feeder program. That’s been their biggest hole for a long time. Their new HC should be able to connect with the local youth coaches and hopefully funnel some of

This is true, but since combining into Erie High (and even since the Robie’s went through Vincent) they haven’t even sniffed that level of we were perrty good in most sports achievement. Cathedral Prep is still Cathedral Prep. They’ve got their pick of the litter with the talent around here since most of the Erie youth teams combined into Rambler Wrestling Club a few years ago. Erie High needs a true feeder program. That’s been their biggest hole for a long time. Their new HC should be able to connect with the local youth coaches and hopefully funnel some of that talent into EHS.
would be nice but back the day I grad 1968 from East and back then even though Prep got their choice if kids we battled them toe to toe in all sports Erie High doesn't seem to have the kids that really want it,I just dont understand!

This is true, but since combining into Erie High (and even since the Robie’s went through Vincent) they haven’t even sniffed that level of achievement. Cathedral Prep is still Cathedral Prep. They’ve got their pick of the litter with the talent around here since most of the Erie youth teams combined into Rambler Wrestling Club a few years ago. Erie High needs a true feeder program. That’s been their biggest hole for a long time. Their new HC should be able to connect with the local youth coaches and hopefully funnel some of that talent into EHS.
what's the tuition for EP like and do they give scholarships?

what's the tuition for EP like and do they give scholarships?
Near as I’ve found, it’s somewhere around $9k annually. They do financial aid though so I’m sure it ends up being less for most of the students. Their alumni network is pretty big too so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some scholarships floating around to help get some talented, but needy kids in the door

by the way with all the kids in Erie there is no reason the school should not be a powerhouse in all sports!

Near as I’ve found, it’s somewhere around $9k annually. They do financial aid though so I’m sure it ends up being less for most of the students. Their alumni network is pretty big too so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some scholarships floating around to help get some talented, but needy kids in the door
Prep been getting kids from out of Erie as long as I can remember!!!

What makes it more confusing is that Coach Waller isn’t the kind of guy to hard sell kids on moving schools. Mt Pleasant had 3 solid kids last year with Pitzer, Poklembo, and Wtorkiewicz. Poklembo has since graduated though. Derry will be adding a good freshman in Will McNeal. McNeal is a past PJW state champ and took 4th at JH states last year.

Reactions: flyinorvi
Is it possible they ruled he moved for Football reasons? I don't know wpial football well enough to know if that would be plausible.
Thought crossed my mind too. WPIIAL cleared him for football, so they think it was for wrestling.

IDK much about HS football out there, but neither school strikes me as a conveyor belt of D1 football recruits.

Reactions: District four
Thought crossed my mind too. WPIIAL cleared him for football, so they think it was for wrestling.

IDK much about HS football out there, but neither school strikes me as a conveyor belt of D1 football recruits.
It says only for regular season, not post-season "Pitzer also plays football and was cleared by the WPIAL for regular season competition in that sport. However, Seltzer said Pitzer is ineligible for the football playoffs at Derry under PIAA transfer rules". He would have automatically been ineligible for both postseasons based on PIAA rules but it sounds like his football appeal for postseason was already denied and wrestling added it for the whole season for some reason. WPIAL seems to think the wrestling part was the athletic motivation which is just confusing and unfortunate for Pitzer because he loses a whole season to showcase his development

It says only for regular season, not post-season "Pitzer also plays football and was cleared by the WPIAL for regular season competition in that sport. However, Seltzer said Pitzer is ineligible for the football playoffs at Derry under PIAA transfer rules". He would have automatically been ineligible for both postseasons based on PIAA rules but it sounds like his football appeal for postseason was already denied and wrestling added it for the whole season for some reason.
The post season suspension is automatic even without athletic intent unless you win an appeal under a small number of exceptions since he transfered the start of 10th grade season The regular season suspension would only be added due to a PIAA rule violation. He could win an appeal of the regular season suspension but still be banned from post season.

It says only for regular season, not post-season "Pitzer also plays football and was cleared by the WPIAL for regular season competition in that sport. However, Seltzer said Pitzer is ineligible for the football playoffs at Derry under PIAA transfer rules". He would have automatically been ineligible for both postseasons based on PIAA rules but it sounds like his football appeal for postseason was already denied and wrestling added it for the whole season for some reason.
True enough, and I wasn't clear enough -- I meant what you said.

My only quibble is that I don't think it was an appeal per se -- it was probably the annual review of all transfers that each PIAA District performs late summer/early fall.

I'd expect the Pitzers and/or Derry to appeal for regular season wrestling reinstatement. They might appeal for the postseason, but good luck, those rules are ironclad and PIAA wouldn't waive them for Kunstek sleeping in his own bedroom.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
It says only for regular season, not post-season "Pitzer also plays football and was cleared by the WPIAL for regular season competition in that sport. However, Seltzer said Pitzer is ineligible for the football playoffs at Derry under PIAA transfer rules". He would have automatically been ineligible for both postseasons based on PIAA rules but it sounds like his football appeal for postseason was already denied and wrestling added it for the whole season for some reason. WPIAL seems to think the wrestling part was the athletic motivation which is just confusing and unfortunate for Pitzer because he loses a whole season to showcase his development
Damn
True enough, and I wasn't clear enough -- I meant what you said.

My only quibble is that I don't think it was an appeal per se -- it was probably the annual review of all transfers that each PIAA District performs late summer/early fall.

I'd expect the Pitzers and/or Derry to appeal for regular season wrestling reinstatement. They might appeal for the postseason, but good luck, those rules are ironclad and PIAA wouldn't waive them for Kunstek sleeping in his own bedroom.
I think you are right. It said that the decision was based on the transfer paperwork submitted by the schools, so Mt. Pleasant probably indicated thst there was athletic intent. It's usually pretty easy to get out of the full season suspension unless you did something pretty dumb or the school is out to get you, but the postseason ban is a mother.

What makes it more confusing is that Coach Waller isn’t the kind of guy to hard sell kids on moving schools. Mt Pleasant had 3 solid kids last year with Pitzer, Poklembo, and Wtorkiewicz. Poklembo has since graduated though. Derry will be adding a good freshman in Will McNeal. McNeal is a past PJW state champ and took 4th at JH states last year.
Will McNeal was listed as a 7th grader last season

Reactions: BigFella235
They both train at Rob Waller's club in Latrobe. So it seems odd to lose a year of eligibility in order to train with an existing training partner.
He was looking to leave and go to Derry because Mt. Pleasant has nothing for him as a team and partners. Derry has a solid team with more partners and they will do well in AA. He trains at All-American but also goes to Coach Dolands house/club to train as well. Doland is the head coach at Derry.

Such a head scratcher to even think he could leave Mt. Plesant and transfer to Derry and think it would be allowed. There was no way Mt. Pleasant was going to sign off on that. It's crazy to think Pitzer thought it would get by.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT