ADVERTISEMENT

Football Packers reporter calls Sean Clifford the "surprise of camp"

Great guy. Would love to see him do well. Only three QBs in camp so he is at least on the team for the year.

And if Love misses any time…….🤷

I wonder if that has more to do with avoiding QB controversy with the young QB than preference. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a qb closer to the season beginning.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I wonder if that has more to do with avoiding QB controversy with the young QB than preference. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a qb closer to the season beginning.
That’s a good possibility but even then Sean will know the system and have the advantage.

Could be, but the Clifford we saw in the Rose Bowl looks like a guy who could play in the league. Something seemed to change. Maybe a light went off in his head, maybe he was battling through injury. Maybe someone bet him that he couldn't play like that and he had to show them that he can. I have no idea. If he continues that trajectory he'll catch on somewhere.

Great guy. Would love to see him do well. Only three QBs in camp so he is at least on the team for the year.

And if Love misses any time…….🤷

Height is only advantage Love has .
Sean is faster, a better runner, and more accurate
Love ran a 4.74 40. Maybe he was hung over.

Could be, but the Clifford we saw in the Rose Bowl looks like a guy who could play in the league. Something seemed to change. Maybe a light went off in his head, maybe he was battling through injury. Maybe someone bet him that he couldn't play like that and he had to show them that he can. I have no idea. If he continues that trajectory he'll catch on somewhere.
Or maybe he was better than the HVCAC gave him credit for. Perhaps that's why CJF And 3 OC's kept running him out there, to the dismay of so many experts here.

I like Clifford, just pointing out most teams prefer a veteran backup when starting a young qb.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Stranger things have happened and it couldn't happen to a better person. The way Clifford played at his best -- Rose Bowl being the best example -- he could be very, very good. You wonder what kind of career he would have had at Penn State with just a better-than-average Big Ten offensive line.
He also had a tendency to take a full quarter of play to settle down. He was often his own worst enemy out there. I liked and appreciated Clifford, but let’s not rewrite his history.

Reactions: PSU Soupy and cment
Durability is my question. He is not that big, I saw him up close at the Rose Bowl. He is smart enough, hope he can hang around the league for years and collect his NFL pension while building wealth.

Looks like SC was just named the primary backup, at least for now. Packers depth chart

F3AsBRbXYAIj6Ky

Reactions: doctornick
He also had a tendency to take a full quarter of play to settle down. He was often his own worst enemy out there. I liked and appreciated Clifford, but let’s not rewrite his history.
I think that Sean could at least be a John Wofford type of back up and get some PT in an emergency. Looks like Wofford will be hitting the NFL pension lottery. Plus he got to live and play in LA out of college. My son was wearing a Wake sweatshirt at a house party in Venice Beach and Wofford chatted him up. Life was grand....

LA or Green Bay...who cares? All I know is that Clifford and his GF were recognized walking past a buddy's tailgate in street clothes after a game maybe 3 years ago. They stopped, chatted, played catch with his kids, signed a t shirt and went on their way. Classy young man and great representative of what we strive to be.

Good for him! Hope it works out.

Well, I'm certain he wouldn't want us to rewrite his history too much. He is the most prolific quarterback in the history of Penn State football.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
However you phrase it....he didn't deserve the crap he took at PSU. Hard to forget the geniuses who insisted that he was of no value....merely in Allar's way.
To be fair, many just wanted Allar to play to get playing experience for 2023 after we lost our second game. Unfortunately in FBS 2 losses ends your season 99 times out of 100.

Yep, he could be infuriating. He had stretches almost every game where he'd lose focus - how many times was PSU starting to take control of a game when Clifford would press and throw into coverage downfield rather than take an easy 6-7 yard completion. He did play with more consistency last part of 2022 season.

Reactions: LMTLION
Yep, he could be infuriating. He had stretches almost every game where he'd lose focus - how many times was PSU starting to take control of a game when Clifford would press and throw into coverage downfield rather than take an easy 6-7 yard completion. He did play with more consistency last part of 2022 season.
He was great against Michigan State and Utah but even against Rutgers and Maryland I wouldn't say he was consistent. Thankfully we dominated both those games so he didn't need to be great but I do think that's the biggest concern with Clifford--consistency.

To be fair, many just wanted Allar to play to get playing experience for 2023 after we lost our second game. Unfortunately in FBS 2 losses ends your season 99 times out of 100.
Someone forgot to give 85 PSU players the memo that fanboys declared their season over. Who would the teams destained to make the CFP play if every team quit after 2 loses?

Someone forgot to give 85 PSU players the memo that fanboys declared their season over. Who would the teams destained to make the CFP play if every team quit after 2 loses?

Not to mention momentum is a real thing, both on the field and in recruiting. Going into the offseason coming off 11-2 and a Rose Bowl win over Utah has this team riding significantly higher than if they'd dropped an additional couple games breaking in younger guys and wrapping up the season in the Mayonnaise bowl against some ACC also ran to finish 9-4/8-5.

Not to mention momentum is a real thing, both on the field and in recruiting. Going into the offseason coming off 11-2 and a Rose Bowl win over Utah has this team riding significantly higher than if they'd dropped an additional couple games breaking in younger guys and wrapping up the season in the Mayonnaise bowl against some ACC also ran to finish 9-4/8-5.
I think the BWICAC should have the privilege of explaining to a team that the rest of the season is meaningful only to prepare players for "next year." LOL ...Fanboys are special.

I think the BWICAC should have the privilege of explaining to a team that the rest of the season is meaningful only to prepare players for "next year." LOL ...Fanboys are special.

But they'd also tell Franklin winning 8 games after throwing in the towel means he should be on the hot seat for losing to third tier teams.

If you swapped 8-5 in place of 11-2 then you'd have 4-5, 7-6, 8-5 the last three seasons. Absolutely no one would be saying, well they would have finished 11-2 with Clifford instead of Allar to wrap up the season in that scenario.

There's no data that supports this

Fanboys doesn't even make sense
If Allar got meaningful playing time last year would he be more prepared for WVU?

Sure.

How do you tell the seniors that you are pissing on the current season and going with the youth movement?

Why stop at Allar? Why not bench Scruggs, Strange, JPJ, and Tig since none of them will be there in '23?
Right--if I was the coach I would have done that and I'm sure it would have upset seniors but I'm not worried about that. Recruits won't be thinking about "when I'm a senior I might get benched" they'll see it as a chance to play early. We're going to start seeing this happen more and more. We just won't be the team that starts that.

JPJ also basically benched himself.

Sure.

How do you tell the seniors that you are pissing on the current season and going with the youth movement?

Why stop at Allar? Why not bench Scruggs, Strange, JPJ, and Tig since none of them will be there in '23?
It was never a problem when our fanboys went undefeated on Maddon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT