ADVERTISEMENT

Football Packers reporter calls Sean Clifford the "surprise of camp"

It's heading in that direction and gets closer each day.
I'm not saying anyone has to like it but people need to start preparing for it.
I think everyone's completely wrong about the impact on recruiting. Prime can run off an entire program and kids still want to play for him.
There is a fine balance the sport must navigate or it will die. Prime is not the future of college football. What Prime did was a disgrace and not a model we should follow.

I mean, you started with "No 2 loss team has made the playoff" then finished with "that's why you keep playing"

If Saban can think it, why can't Franklin? Saban is supposedly smarter, he should have known that no 2 loss team had made it. Just because talking heads used it as fuel for show chatter didn't make it real. TCU and OSU went in coming off losses and no amount of Saban trying to bully them worked.

Again, you were the one vouching for upheaval at 2 losses for Penn State. Then didn't vouch for it with Bama. Then you poorly constructed your argument with such lines like "Young wasn't a senior" and "Cincy".

Had Bama started auditioning players and lost a 3rd game, my goodness who knows what would have happened. They'll be talking heads screaming hot seat for the best coach of the last 20 years. Doesn't mean it's right, but hey, those same people (and Saban) said stuff like "Vegas would have us as the favorite" as if that should be a point of discussion. Sure, let's let Vegas pick the best 4 this year and just go straight to the playoff. That's a new, innovative side to things.

If Saban can think it, why can't Franklin? Saban is supposedly smarter, he should have known that no 2 loss team had made it. Just because talking heads used it as fuel for show chatter didn't make it real. TCU and OSU went in coming off losses and no amount of Saban trying to bully them worked.

Again, you were the one vouching for upheaval at 2 losses for Penn State. Then didn't vouch for it with Bama. Then you poorly constructed your argument with such lines like "Young wasn't a senior" and "Cincy".

Had Bama started auditioning players and lost a 3rd game, my goodness who knows what would have happened. They'll be talking heads screaming hot seat for the best coach of the last 20 years. Doesn't mean it's right, but hey, those same people (and Saban) said stuff like "Vegas would have us as the favorite" as if that should be a point of discussion. Sure, let's let Vegas pick the best 4 this year and just go straight to the playoff. That's a new, innovative side to things.
Because we're not Bama. Fair or not (it's not) Bama being Bama gives them an advantage with the committee.

A 2 loss Penn State isn't comparable to a 2 loss Alabama. They're not the same scenario. More than half the programs are done without a loss but they aren't striving to make a playoff. Cincy was wrong--not poorly constructive--just dead wrong. Young being a junior isn't poorly constructive. It's accurate.

I mean, maybe Vegas should--is it any different. Hence we need a much larger playoff.

There is a fine balance the sport must navigate or it will die. Prime is not the future of college football. What Prime did was a disgrace and not a model we should follow.
We'll see--I hope Prime isn't but if it works and they win even 3 or 4 games this year followed by 6-8 next year you'll see others do it. Ultimately coaches have to do what's best for their career or they won't be there.

Because we're not Bama. Fair or not (it's not) Bama being Bama gives them an advantage with the committee.

A 2 loss Penn State isn't comparable to a 2 loss Alabama. They're not the same scenario. More than half the programs are done without a loss but they aren't striving to make a playoff. Cincy was wrong--not poorly constructive--just dead wrong. Young being a junior isn't poorly constructive. It's accurate.

I mean, maybe Vegas should--is it any different. Hence we need a much larger playoff.

What advantage? They didn't get in with 2 losses. Media and ratings darlings, sure. Everybody loves a winner. But they got zero advantage. Ranked 5th vs 7th in a poll that 4 teams mattered was the extent of it.

Your argument with Young is that you would have kept playing him with 2 losses because he was a junior? His expected NFL 1st round departure wasn't enough to bench him in order to scout Milroe for '23? Because he was a junior?

Explain how that fits in with your narrative of "after 2 losses, you play younger players for the future".

The reality is, you talked the idea up like it's the future and this great idea (that other schools will surely use, but not Franklin) then I led you right into a scenario where you abandoned it completely because 1. Bama was still playoff eligible 2. Young is just in year 3.

How does Vegas picking teams have anything to do with an expanded playoff? 12, 16, 24, I think expansion hurts teams not named UGA, Bama, and OSU. The layoff benefits the teams with the most depth. I don't think TCU loses by 60 if that game was 21 days after the ccgs instead of 30+. (Semis 1 week after ccg, then 2 weeks for title game)

What advantage? They didn't get in with 2 losses. Media and ratings darlings, sure. Everybody loves a winner. But they got zero advantage. Ranked 5th vs 7th in a poll that 4 teams mattered was the extent of it.

Your argument with Young is that you would have kept playing him with 2 losses because he was a junior? His expected NFL 1st round departure wasn't enough to bench him in order to scout Milroe for '23? Because he was a junior?

Explain how that fits in with your narrative of "after 2 losses, you play younger players for the future".

The reality is, you talked the idea up like it's the future and this great idea (that other schools will surely use, but not Franklin) then I led you right into a scenario where you abandoned it completely because 1. Bama was still playoff eligible 2. Young is just in year 3.

How does Vegas picking teams have anything to do with an expanded playoff? 12, 16, 24, I think expansion hurts teams not named UGA, Bama, and OSU. The layoff benefits the teams with the most depth. I don't think TCU loses by 60 if that game was 21 days after the ccgs instead of 30+. (Semis 1 week after ccg, then 2 weeks for title game)
Who was ranked higher? Us or Bama in the final poll?

He's a junior who hadn't declared and Bama wasn't eliminated. In fact, many thought they should be in over TCU. Once eliminated you do and for most teams that's two losses. For us, losing to Ohio State and Michigan gave us no chance as the Big Ten wasn't going to get 3 teams.

I didn't abandon it at all. Bama isn't an apt comp. It's like comparing a 1 loss G5 team to a 1 loss Penn State. They're done. We're not.

I don't think there should be any layoff before the playoffs. Maybe a week. And the point was Vegas picking teams isn't any different...just opinion....Vegas uses data then where money goes. The committee uses data then the eye test.

Who was ranked higher? Us or Bama in the final poll?

He's a junior who hadn't declared and Bama wasn't eliminated. In fact, many thought they should be in over TCU. Once eliminated you do and for most teams that's two losses. For us, losing to Ohio State and Michigan gave us no chance as the Big Ten wasn't going to get 3 teams.

I didn't abandon it at all. Bama isn't an apt comp. It's like comparing a 1 loss G5 team to a 1 loss Penn State. They're done. We're not.

I don't think there should be any layoff before the playoffs. Maybe a week. And the point was Vegas picking teams isn't any different...just opinion....Vegas uses data then where money goes. The committee uses data then the eye test.

The only rankings that matter is 1-4. Who made the playoff between Penn State and Bama?

You didn't say anything about juniors who didn't declare. You mentioned benching starters who wouldn't be there the following year to allow younger players playing time. Was there some discussion Young was returning? If anything, the discussion was that it was a shame he couldn't declare after his sophomore season.

You said if you were coach. You didn't say at what school. Bama is the perfect comp. Did they make the playoff?

So if you are at a G5 and your team loses on opening day, you are benching players to let the young kids get experience since the playoff is out of reach?

How long do you think that you will retain your head coaching job under that plan?

Pros give teams 2 weeks to prepare for the super bowl. Seems fine for the evolving college league. I just don't agree with the near 30 days between ccg day and playoff semis.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The only rankings that matter is 1-4. Who made the playoff between Penn State and Bama?

You didn't say anything about juniors who didn't declare. You mentioned benching starters who wouldn't be there the following year to allow younger players playing time. Was there some discussion Young was returning? If anything, the discussion was that it was a shame he couldn't declare after his sophomore season.

You said if you were coach. You didn't say at what school. Bama is the perfect comp. Did they make the playoff?

So if you are at a G5 and your team loses on opening day, you are benching players to let the young kids get experience since the playoff is out of reach?

How long do you think that you will retain your head coaching job under that plan?

Pros give teams 2 weeks to prepare for the super bowl. Seems fine for the evolving college league. I just don't agree with the near 30 days between ccg day and playoff semis.
I'll concede I should have been more care but Bama wasn't eliminated form the playoffs we were. There's a difference. Not making it doesn't mean you were eliminated. We were done with our second loss. They weren't. Things didn't play out in their favor but they weren't eliminated.

G5 is a joke right now--which is why we need tiers. I'd play younger kids once the conference title game was out of reach. I think I retain my job much longer as my teams are better prepared for the following year.

How long does the NFL give between the end of their season and the wild card/first round games? That should be the model. Since we unfortunately have CCGs (for now) I'd agree with a bye week so those schools aren't penalized. 2 weeks isn't horrible. I don't feel it's necessary though but I guess it depends how many teams are in the playoff.

But thinking Penn State and Alabama were equal last year after their second loss just isn't sincere.

Where did we finish in the final rankings? Where did Bama? Let's be real.
If Franklin thought we could make the playoff at 10-2 then so be it though I don't believe he's that stupid.
I mean, you started with "No 2 loss team has made the playoff" then finished with "that's why you keep playing". Right, kids can leave and you can sign other kids. Best way to keep the kids is to get them playing time. Best way to determine what you need in the portal is to play those that will be next year.
I'm fine with people disliking this approach but we're going to see it. Maybe not from Franklin but from other programs around the country.
But we’re not seeing it from any program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT