ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro named in ISU gambling probe

I'd be shocked if Kueter doesn't put on 15-20 pounds the next few months, it could end up working well for him to go this year.
Is it really worth it to pull the shirt? That's the question. The wrestling Team definitely needs him more than FB this year now however.

He probably plays mostly special teams this year. Not to many true freshman startimg middle linebackers at Iowa.

Iowa’s swift kicks to the balls, just keep coming!!!
Bad Santa Pain GIF by Sky

Reactions: NittanyLion84
They also have Ayala returning (0.5 pts in 2021) --> 42.5 returning pts assuming both Kennedy and Caliendo in the lineup (one at 174).

Returning points after the 4 Hawks are disqualified:
1 - PSU 143.0
2 - Cornell 62.0
3 - Missouri 61.0
4 - NC State 48.0
T5 - Nebraska 47.0
T5 - VT 47.0
7 - Michigan 45.0
8 - Iowa 42.5
9 - anOSU 42.0 (subtract 18.0 if Sasso can't go)
10 - Iowa State 40.5 (subtract 1.0 if Johnson suspended for the year; no change to standings)

Iowa could finish outside the Top 10 -- Arizona State is lurking at 36.0 pts returning plus Richie Figueroa in the lineup.
All things considered, and strictly from a team perspective, this upcoming season is the season to have this occur for Iowa since there was no shot for them at a team title anyway.

They also have Ayala returning (0.5 pts in 2021) --> 42.5 returning pts assuming both Kennedy and Caliendo in the lineup (one at 174).

Returning points after the 4 Hawks are disqualified:
1 - PSU 143.0
2 - Cornell 62.0
3 - Missouri 61.0
4 - NC State 48.0
T5 - Nebraska 47.0
T5 - VT 47.0
7 - Michigan 45.0
8 - Iowa 42.5
9 - anOSU 42.0 (subtract 18.0 if Sasso can't go)
10 - Iowa State 40.5 (subtract 1.0 if Johnson suspended for the year; no change to standings)

Iowa could finish outside the Top 10 -- Arizona State is lurking at 36.0 pts returning plus Richie Figueroa in the lineup.
This would be the year for Cael to RS everyone he can because it’s a landslide like never seen before. I guess it really doesn’t matter one way or another because the gap has been growing for years and will continue to grow but my god. PSU wrestle offs will be the top dual of the year! It probably means the PSU top wrestlers will wrestle the absolute minimum to qualify.

I believe Cael and Co have further developed their recruiting and lineup planning to eiminate even the notion of a punt year from their equation.

Now what remains is their dedication to support of their athletes in furtherance of reaching their goals. That includes putting the individual athlete in the best position to make the NCAA podium, stand at its top, or be an Olympian and world medalist.

With this in mind, I expect RSs and Olympic RSs are in play, as they should be, but no plans for a punt year.

Here is the one piece not discussed-- Do the Iowa Four lose their scholarships? Why would Iowa give free tuition for guys that can't wrestle?

No deliberate punt year but why waste eligibility when the team title has all but been wrapped up? Iowa just got gutted with 4-5 key guys bowing out. Cornell, Michigan, and Missouri will battle for second but at around 70 team points. Can't imagine O$U being in it with Sasso out now. Again, many of the PSU wrestlers will only be wrestling the bare minimum number of matches to qualify because their only real opponent be injury. Yes, use the Olympic RS if it doesn't upset the future lineup plan. How many guys have that available?

This would be the year for Cael to RS everyone he can because it’s a landslide like never seen before. I guess it really doesn’t matter one way or another because the gap has been growing for years and will continue to grow but my god. PSU wrestle offs will be the top dual of the year! It probably means the PSU top wrestlers will wrestle the absolute minimum to qualify.

Do you have a plan?

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5051366-the-top-5-scariest-things-in-wrestling

Well right, but 'back in the day' it was also unambiguously illegal. Kids today are growing up in a world where it's merely regulated--there's no real taboo anymore, and thus less fear of getting caught. Add that to the fact that star athletes have an air of unwarranted imperviousness to them and it seems practically inevitable.
Whole point is you can be tracked. Even this guy who turns 60 in a week knows that.
Is it really worth it to pull the shirt? That's the question. The wrestling Team definitely needs him more than FB this year now however.

He probably plays mostly special teams this year. Not to many true freshman startimg middle linebackers at Iowa.
He looks like a can’t miss nfl pro prospect to me, I’m betting he can play. The kid looks like Captain America and he’s pretty sharp. My guess is he could play, start, and make some serious headlines this year.

Whole point is you can be tracked. Even this guy who turns 60 in a week knows that.

He looks like a can’t miss nfl pro prospect to me, I’m betting he can play. The kid looks like Captain America and he’s pretty sharp. My guess is he could play, start, and make some serious headlines this year.
I like your thought process on Ben. Hopefully can manage all of that. Lots of pressure on the teenager right now. Hopefully he takes it in stride and has some fun with it

I like your thought process on Ben. Hopefully can manage all of that. Lots of pressure on the teenager right now. Hopefully he takes it in stride and has some fun with it
As much as many would like to see Keuter in a wrestling singlet, even if it's for Iowa, I just don't see it happening. He is the football teams investment. The only way he wrestles is if he chooses that over football, or flops on the football team. The training demands (time and differing programs) are too much. Just my opinion of course and I'm certainly not rooting for him to fail.

No deliberate punt year but why waste eligibility when the team title has all but been wrapped up?
Because Cael and Co. support individual goals and see maximizing individual goals (AA or individual Champion) as taking care of Team Championships.

Therefore, I do not believe Cael and Co. would see a wrestler reaching his NCAA goal as wasted eligibility. Also, winning is fun.

Reactions: aalion
Now Iowa's starting DT Noah Shannon is out for the year after starting 28 games.

I find it interesting no other colleges in Iowa don't have any violations for gambling. Drake? UNI? Not even COE? Someone definitely had targets in mind. I guess the NCAA is using our flyover state as an example. It what is I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright
Now Iowa's starting DT Noah Shannon is out for the year after starting 28 games.

I find it interesting no other colleges in Iowa don't have any violations for gambling. Drake? UNI? Not even COE? Someone definitely had targets in mind. I guess the NCAA is using out flyover state as an example. It what is I guess.
It was always going to come to this.

Self inflicted wounds being turned into fuel for the Iowa Persecution Complex.

I find it interesting no other colleges in Iowa don't have any violations for gambling. Drake? UNI? Not even COE? Someone definitely had targets in mind. I guess the NCAA is using out flyover state as an example. It what is I guess.
Not that I have read that much about this but it sounds like this is driven by Iowa DAs and the NCAA is tagging along. The NCAA isn't filing criminal charges, prosecutors are.

Reactions: Ski
Not that I have read that much about this but it sounds like this is driven by Iowa DAs and the NCAA is tagging along. The NCAA isn't filing criminal charges, prosecutors are.
The criminal charges are nothing. Literal slap on the wrists. No jail time.

BUT - the NCAA? yeah. Like i thought, they're making an example out of these athletes. The defense that they're being "targeted" isn't going to amount to much. Not when its their own DAs bringing the charges, and not when the NCAA doesn't have an actual investigation arm. (they investigate based on reportings, not because they seek out infractions themselves)

No deliberate punt year but why waste eligibility when the team title has all but been wrapped up? Iowa just got gutted with 4-5 key guys bowing out. Cornell, Michigan, and Missouri will battle for second but at around 70 team points. Can't imagine O$U being in it with Sasso out now. Again, many of the PSU wrestlers will only be wrestling the bare minimum number of matches to qualify because their only real opponent be injury. Yes, use the Olympic RS if it doesn't upset the future lineup plan. How many guys have that available?
I think all the top guys go. You say waste eligibility but the issue is that we have another round of top recruits ready to come in. If a bunch of top guys sit this year because the team title is locked up it creates a bunch of roster headaches going forward or more likely we end up having kids go elsewhere so they don’t have to sit multiple years. I hope this team absolutely goes for it this year and sees how close to the all time points record they can get

This really sucks for Cass and Brands Cass seems like a good dude and I wish he was able to go his senior year

Reactions: anon_d29z1jdixxwey
The criminal charges are nothing. Literal slap on the wrists. No jail time.

BUT - the NCAA? yeah. Like i thought, they're making an example out of these athletes. The defense that they're being "targeted" isn't going to amount to much. Not when its their own DAs bringing the charges, and not when the NCAA doesn't have an actual investigation arm. (they investigate based on reportings, not because they seek out infractions themselves)
I didn't hear about anyone getting arrested so I'm sure the legal issues are minor. Except for Paniro, who I think is being looked st for tax evasion and hiding his identity. He might be in a bit more hot water.

This might be the NCAA seeing what sticks through the Iowa DAs, then going after athletes at other schools. But no way this situation is unique to Iowa and Iowa St.

You guys are the tip of the iceberg, congrats (sarcastic).

Iowa certainly has had a lifetime worth of shitty off-season things happen all in a few months.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Per Mineo: Sebrecht, Assad, Brands, and Cassiopi all out for the year, likely losing eligibility too. Schriever and Kennedy to miss part of the season.
Which part? Would be funny if second half!

I tried to find in the thread, but can anyone explain what NCAA athletes can and cannot do in regards to gambling?

And if I understand previous threads, the Iowa DA is charging these kids for misdemeanors, but I’m confused as to what for? Is the NCAA aligned with the law.

Any clarification is much appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT