ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State opens as 4.5-point underdogs versus Ohio State

Ohio State has been far from dominant, even against real poor competition. They, like us, Oregon, Georgia, Alabama, Texas etc. have played down to their competition all year, especially for a half or more. You do this too often and you can get bit. Gotta remember that OSU was at home this weekend. Their only real game was Oregon and that was a loss.

Ohio State has been far from dominant, even against real poor competition. They, like us, Oregon, Georgia, Alabama, Texas etc. have played down to their competition all year, especially for a half or more. You do this too often and you can get bit. Gotta remember that OSU was at home this weekend. Their only real game was Oregon and that was a loss.
Just real hard to pick a favorite - at this time - for the NC. There are 6 to 8 teams that have a realistic shot

Agreed. Minnesota on the road may be the only challenge of any note, and we'll certainly be favored to beat them barring unforeseen developments.

Meanwhile, Ohio State at our place is a winnable game even if it ends up being Beau getting the start. But whether it be Drew of Beau, it's hard to be super confident after the experience of recent years. The record is that we find ways to lose to the Buckeyes.

One thing for sure: the way things are shaping up with the current AP top-15, a 2nd loss would make our playoff chances very iffy indeed. That win last night in Madison was big.
I might be grasping at straws but I feel like this game, at long last, might be refereed fairly, taking a huge edge away from OSU. With the playoff in existence a single OSU loss doesn’t knock them out of contention. In fact, in terms of what is best for the BIG, a Penn State win would almost certainly secure three bids for the league. No way a 2-loss OSU with losses to only top 5 opponents at their places gets left out.

While PSU will be favorites in each, both Minny and MD ’could’ cause trouble

Minny is a road game and will try to play us ugly, rock-fight football and hope we play down to them. It should be the toughest game outside of OSU, but with Allar I don't see them being within +10 unless they dominate Illinois and soundly beat Rutgers (perception rides on Illinois game for them and whether we have Drew or not).

Maryland tends to psych themselves out vs us. I think we roll them hard regardless.

Reactions: PurposePitch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT