ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State Picks Up Commitment From 2024 Lightweight Luke Lilledahl

Will never like freestyle but it wrestling in off season and lets guys continue in the sport after college. Its like watching nfl in season then arena football for more football.

Reactions: Ski
I started out thinking I hated freestyle. At some point, though I asked myself, what's the point? It's not going away, and it's the venue we get to measure our abilities against on the world stage. I still love folkstyle and our traditionally incredible tenacity and gas tanks, and, to paraphrase a guy I look up to, I'm grateful USA's best get to compete after college in a style most of them prefer anyway.

Nowadays, I plain like freestyle. It's super dynamic and fun to watch. Then, folkstyle starts up again, and I like that too. Life is easy this way--being a nittany lion fan helps too....
Fair enough. I just can’t seem to get past the fact that the guy who is placed on the passivity clock is often the guy trying to initiate action and taking all the shots while the guy who is simply tying up and pushing and doing nothing offensive, is rewarded. Maybe I’ll get to where you are someday. Either way, it IS a Hell of a lot of fun being a Nittany Lion fan! 😃

As a competitor I much preferred freestyle even though my best position in folk was top. It’s just flat out more fun to wrestle freestyle. I absolutely love both styles though and think it’s great we get to see our guys compete in both. I wonder what percentage of wrestlers prefer folk to freestyle

Reactions: mcpat
I started out thinking I hated freestyle. At some point, though I asked myself, what's the point? It's not going away, and it's the venue we get to measure our abilities against on the world stage. I still love folkstyle and our traditionally incredible tenacity and gas tanks, and, to paraphrase a guy I look up to, I'm grateful USA's best get to compete after college in a style most of them prefer anyway.

Nowadays, I plain like freestyle. It's super dynamic and fun to watch. Then, folkstyle starts up again, and I like that too. Life is easy this way--being a nittany lion fan helps too....
The rest will come along kicking and screaming, or else they're going to miss a whole bunch of matches that their favorite wrestlers are in.

Reactions: nerfstate
It’s one of the main reasons for my disliking freestyle. It clearly favors the Iowa “style” of tying up, pushing and “holding center” while essentially doing nothing to try to score.

The offensive-minded wrestler, a la Nolf, Sealy, RBY, who look to create space to score points is penalized. Just doesn’t seem right.
Yeah, when the guy that took the last 2 shots gets the passivity call...something ain't right.

Yeah, when the guy that took the last 2 shots gets the passivity call...something ain't right.
Not unique to freestyle. We complain about that a ton in folk too.

(Also, why does who shot last or most matter? If you're stalling right now, you're stalling.)

Not unique to freestyle. We complain about that a ton in folk too.

(Also, why does who shot last or most matter? If you're stalling right now, you're stalling.)
Except in folk, “right now” is only when there is 0:10 - 0:20 left in the match.
The first 6:40 - 6:50 is stalled in some other dimension or alternate universe to which officials are not privy.

I wrestled all three styles growing up. For me they were ranked:

1. Folkstyle - always appreciated having to master all three positions
2. Freestyle - lots of fun but takes a total mind shift from #1 to do well
10. Greco - too defensive and difficult to score for my taste

I wish Sambo and Jiu-jitsu had been more available and popular then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT