ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State Picks Up Commitment From 2024 Lightweight Luke Lilledahl

Merrill seems way overranked at first glance. Don't even think he won Cali states this year.

I don't love this class. I'd probably put Ferrari as my number 1 guy based on talent and results, but the off the mat family circus complicates the evaluation. Davino would be my 2 followed by Sealey.

I can't decide what I think of Lilledahl. Was very underwhelmed by him early. Then he had a MONSTER season and I thought he maybe made a jump, but was pretty underwhelming again at elite 8. The guy he reminds me of a little is Tony Ramos with the way he darts around on reattacks.

Need to dive deeper on Ryder eventually.
I will take a Tony Ramos lol. I still put Sealey at #1, biased obviously but if we're going off long term ceiling, you have to love it. Appreciate your technical analysis always though.

Reactions: donboy6499
I will take a Tony Ramos lol. I still put Sealey at #1, biased obviously but if we're going off long term ceiling, you have to love it. Appreciate your technical analysis always though.
I'm concerned about Sealey because he struggles to scramble, especially on his own shots. Some guys don't have that feel and never improve there. Others do. So I'm wait and see on him. Very high ceiling.

I'm concerned about Sealey because he struggles to scramble, especially on his own shots. Some guys don't have that feel and never improve there. Others do. So I'm wait and see on him. Very high ceiling.
Did see it a little bit in folk when he can't score the same way as he can in free but am confident it's something he can adjust to

I want everyone to know that I made carbonara Sunday night...with guanciale. Monday Lillehammer commits. Coincidence? I think not.

giphy.gif
With cream or without?

season 2 lol GIF by Shameless

• Wow
Reactions: 82bordeaux
If he struggles a bit to win scramble situations I am thinking he probably chose the right program to learn that skill.

Last edited:
I live fairly near High Point, NC and I must say -- it's remarkable to have one of the best young wrestlers in the country emerge from High Point. There is not a great tradition of wrestling in North Carolina, though NC State's recent success seems to be of interest.

Just goes to show that wrestling talent can come from many places -- and evidently, the Sealey family realized that it made sense to get Joe Sealey into Wyoming Sem for further development.

I'll follow his PSU career with great interest. Maybe Cael can even schedule a road match vs NC State or UNC?
Great to finally see the Carolina branch of the slush fund chop some wood and carry some water. 😅

No love for Ryder here? Man we are spoiled. Lill + Sealy + Ryder = the Podium 3 Amigos.

Note, I am just fine with the 4 musketeers, 4 horses of the apocalypse, or fantastic 4 - whatever, when we add Hopke, if he doesn't stay with football.

I thought he would be a career 125lber On the other board Tom McAndrew said That my comment / thought in that was basically asinine What do you all think ?

I thought he would be a career 125lber On the other board Tom McAndrew said That my comment / thought in that was basically asinine What do you all think ?
Is he sourced on that or just giving the old eyeball test?

I think Tom needs to get over himself

Calling BS on this. You have 3 total posts over there, last Nov 2022, none about Lilledahl.

Also the only comment Tom made about Lilledahl's weight wasn't about his weight -- it was in response to a question about how this commitment impacts some 2026 guys, and Tom said it doesn't make sense to project those guys' weights yet.

Calling BS on this. You have 3 total posts over there, last Nov 2022, none about Lilledahl.

Also the only comment Tom made about Lilledahl's weight wasn't about his weight -- it was in response to a question about how this commitment impacts some 2026 guys, and Tom said it doesn't make sense to project those guys' weights yet.
U r looking at wrong board And another poster said he would be 133

So link it, please.I just read two threads over there - one on the wrestling board and one on the Den - and nothing in there from Tom was belittling anybody’s take.
FWIW, on their premium board, there is a Lilledahl thread and 5q has a post in it and the next post is from McAndrew. I am not a member so I can not read the discussion but can see who participated.

Reactions: hlstone
I think you're a little sensitive in this case. Tom just pointed out no one knows if LL is going to have a growth spurt. Tom also mentioned there's also other incoming options at 125.. Relax and enjoy the huge recruiting win!

Just putting this Sealey vs Messenbrink match here. Pretty sure the kid is going to be a beast in college. Would love if Messenbrink came as well

Just couldn't resist highlighting your post regarding Mesenbrink and rekindling the conversation on Lilledahl. I had not seen many matches of Lilledahl until recently, but that ankle pick/low single of his is a thing of sheer beauty. I just re-watched his 2022 U17 World Championship matches and he hit that move so many times. I love his pace and movement. Regarding Mesenbrink (one s and not two as I learned from doing a search for his matches), what a pickup that is for Penn State! The quality of young wrestlers in the U.S. recently is phenomenal, and getting to see them wrestle for Penn State is just that much more special.

Last edited:
Here are the links to Mesenbrink's 2022 U20 World Championship matches along with his 2022 Pan American matches along with Lilledahl's matches from the U17 2022 World Championships (Edit- And just for kicks I have included Sealey's 2022 U17 matches):

Last edited:
I see Sealey somewhere in the Nick Lee arena in his high attack rate and occasional sloppy mishaps. Nick turned out to be an absolute hammer because he had the work ethic and guts to keep wrestling with risk and listening to his coaches. Sealey is sure fun to watch wrestle no matter who wins the match where he is competing I actually like these same things about Cody Chittum. Dude gets after it.

I am concerned about Sealey too, he seems only to win about 99% of his matches, and with the other 1% he is still the aggressor.

I am concerned that my expectations are already leaning multi-timer before he has been able to spend time with Cael.

I am concerned his world medals are beginning to affect my impartiality.

In watching the matches I posted I have noticed that the typical strategy of our wrestlers working from space on their feet is typically met with a call of passivity on them even when they are by far the more active wrestler. Even Mesenbrink was called for passivity in one of his matches when he was obviously more active than his opponent. I have been told that this is because freestyle prioritizes maintaining contact with your opponent, which I guess is why working from space is frowned upon by the officials. In Lilledahl's gold medal match in 2021 his being put on the clock probably cost him the gold medal. I would love to hear from some knowledgeable freestyle fans and get their thoughts on this.

Reactions: 07mantle
In watching the matches I posted I have noticed that the typical strategy of our wrestlers working from space on their feet is typically met with a call of passivity on them even when they are by far the more active wrestler. Even Mesenbrink was called for passivity in one of his matches when he was obviously more active than his opponent. I have been told that this is because freestyle prioritizes maintaining contact with your opponent, which I guess is why working from space is frowned upon by the officials. In Lilledahl's gold medal match in 2021 his being put on the clock probably cost him the gold medal. I would love to hear from some knowledgeable freestyle fans and get their thoughts on this.
It’s one of the toughest things for a folkstyle fan to acclimate to—but yeah, UWW is mandated to call passivity in a scoreless match and they are first and foremost looking for who is leaving tie-ups to create space and who doesn’t hold center. Number of shots may be in the list, but always after those two. I think it mostly works because with the pressure the boundary creates, staying in tie ups will very often lead to someone scoring. But it’s nothing like what we are used to in folkstyle.

It’s one of the toughest things for a folkstyle fan to acclimate to—but yeah, UWW is mandated to call passivity in a scoreless match and they are first and foremost looking for who is leaving tie-ups to create space and who doesn’t hold center. Number of shots may be in the list, but always after those two. I think it mostly works because with the pressure the boundary creates, staying in tie ups will very often lead to someone scoring. But it’s nothing like what we are used to in folkstyle.
It has to be tie-ups because I have often been wondering what the hell when the guy creating the action from the center of the mat is the one put on the shot clock.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Admittedly don’t know the passivity “rules”, but it seems to me that the wrestler closer to the edge of the mat is the one typically called.

It’s one of the main reasons for my disliking freestyle. It clearly favors the Iowa “style” of tying up, pushing and “holding center” while essentially doing nothing to try to score.

The offensive-minded wrestler, a la Nolf, Sealy, RBY, who look to create space to score points is penalized. Just doesn’t seem right.

It’s one of the main reasons for my disliking freestyle. It clearly favors the Iowa “style” of tying up, pushing and “holding center” while essentially doing nothing to try to score.

The offensive-minded wrestler, a la Nolf, Sealy, RBY, who look to create space to score points is penalized. Just doesn’t seem right.
And yet, whatever style you wrestle, there is one place that will make you the best you can be. The NLWC has transitioned our folk style guys into freestyle monsters better than anywhere else in America.

Simply put, our coaches are amazing!

This is flat-out false, especially when looking at senior-level matches not involving USA wrestlers.

Every other country's athletes have developed short offense with high amplitude scoring -- throws and feet to back shots. In the US, Dake has.

Also, when has Sealey's scoring been stifled by freestyle?

Reactions: Wilco43 and zzs006
This is flat-out false, especially when looking at senior-level matches not involving USA wrestlers.

Every other country's athletes have developed short offense with high amplitude scoring -- throws and feet to back shots. In the US, Dake has.

Also, when has Sealey's scoring been stifled by freestyle?
Completely disagree. As for Sealey, I was just using him as an example of a high volume, creative, offensive minded wrestler, like Nolf and RBY, not citing specific examples of his being stifled.

My point still stands. The boring Iowa style is rewarded by the passivity calls, when in actuality, that style is inherently passive. Hence, my dislike, but you’re certainly entitled to a different opinion.

I started out thinking I hated freestyle. At some point, though I asked myself, what's the point? It's not going away, and it's the venue we get to measure our abilities against on the world stage. I still love folkstyle and our traditionally incredible tenacity and gas tanks, and, to paraphrase a guy I look up to, I'm grateful USA's best get to compete after college in a style most of them prefer anyway.

Nowadays, I plain like freestyle. It's super dynamic and fun to watch. Then, folkstyle starts up again, and I like that too. Life is easy this way--being a nittany lion fan helps too....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT