ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State to Improve Football Overnight RV Parking

PSU_Nut

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
May 25, 2017

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.-- Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics announced today improvements to 2017 Football Overnight RV (ORV) parking as a result of analysis over the past six months around overall fan experience and safety recommendations.

During the past eight months, Penn State Athletics initiated an Overnight RV (ORV) Advisory Board comprised of fans who regularly park in ORV for Nittany Lion football games. In addition, survey responses from a strong sampling of ORV patrons informed these decisions. Included in the improvements is an increase in space by more than 50 percent for each ORV as compared to last year, as well as accommodations to improve ingress and egress at the Overnight RV lot. These changes were informed by recommendations from the surveys and the ORV Advisory Board, as well as careful analysis by ICA and the University.

"The creation of an ORV advisory board was an important step in addressing fan interest in enhancing the overall experience in the Overnight lot. We have received excellent feedback about RV parking and suggestions on how to improve this experience," said Deputy AD Phil Esten. "We listened to our fans and took a hard look at the overall RV experience. First and foremost, we feel the changes we are implementing will dramatically improve the fan experience. Additionally, these improvements are in line with national RV guidelines and regulations, allowing for better safety and security measures to be taken, starting this season."

Improved Safety and Fan Experience
The size of ORV parking stalls will grow this season from 18' x 40' to 28.5' x 40, an increase of more than 50 percent from the 2016 season. These larger stalls were very well received by overnight RV customers who attended last month's Blue-White Game. While a reduction in the number of Overnight RV parking stalls will occur, the changes will improve safety and reduce the chance of fire and exhaust from immediately impacting adjacent RVs, improve the movement for emergency personnel and equipment and create easier movement for all vehicles in the RV lots.

Penn State Athletics also will be creating approximately 80 new game day RV spaces in the Blue RV preferred lot, just south of Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. The size of the game day RV parking spaces in the other lots will remain the same as in 2016.
Key Overall RV Parking Information
  • Overnight RV pricing will remain the same as in 2016.
  • Fans can make requests for season RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order.
  • Single game ORV/RV parking will only be available if season RV parking is not sold out.
  • Patrons will be able to purchase one season overnight RV permit per account.
  • In anticipation of the Overnight RV lot being sold out on a season basis, fans will not be able to cash in a car pass or a reserved/preferred pass for the ORV lot as credit.
  • Season ticket holders who have not already purchased season overnight RV parking, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6 at their account manager. (See below for more information).
  • Fans parking in the ORV lots who require ADA assistance can call 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays 8 a.m-5 p.m.) for more information. ADA spaces are available, as in previous years.
Why Changes Are Being Made
  • To improve the fan experience for season ticket holders and season permit holders in the RV lot with overnight accommodations (Yellow RV and Overnight RV):
    • Serve those fans who purchase early with space in the primary lot
    • Provide approximately 50 percent more space for each RV
    • Add new roadways, with street names and space numbers
    • Provide accountability by assigning a street "address" for each RV
    • "Address" helps identify tailgate location for visitors
    • Provide quicker access through a separate entrance for pre-paid ORV
Connect "Address" to permit holder through bar coded permit
  • Reduce the density of RVs, making conditions safer
    • Lower concentration of carbon monoxide
    • Mitigate risk of fire spreading from RV to RV
    • Tailgates contained in larger spaces, freeing up drive aisles for emergency access
  • Enhance communication of updates to those who purchased ORV permits
    • Alert to weather changes impacting lot
  • Enforce rules as requested by the ORV Advisory Group
    • Each permit holder assigned to a specific space/street "address"
    • Encourage activities that promote adherence to policies and a great experience for all fans in the ORV lot.
RV Parking Permit Sale for Fans
  • Season ticket holders who have not already purchased a season RV parking permit, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The RV sale will end at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 14.
    • All season ticket holders can make requests for RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order;
    • The application will be in account manager, similar to process used for bowl games;
    • The ticket office will collect payment information, but will not charge the credit card unless the patron is confirmed to receive RV parking.
Grange Fairgrounds Also Available for RV Patrons
  • If the Overnight RV lot is sold out, RVs will be directed to Grange Fairgrounds:
    • 1,500 RV spaces with water and electric hook-up;
    • Shower houses;
    • Home game week: $60 per night (Thursday-Saturday nights); $30 per night (Sunday-Wednesday nights). $40 per week to keep RV at Grange Fairgrounds in between home games. RVs must depart Grange by the day after the final home game.
    • Approximately 14 miles from Beaver Stadium;
    • Penn State operates a game shuttle service for an additional cost
Fans with questions related to overnight RV or game day RV parking should call 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email golions@psu.edu.
oas-icon-email.gif
Email this article

http://www.gopsusports.com/genrel/052517aab.html

Sounds like they're gearing up for lower turnout. I almost feel like I'm watching the Sears CEO plunder and cripple a once great company.

More room for the rental companies to move in their fleet and rent them out for $1500 a weekend.
Actually the changes may hurt them. They will now be required to have multiple NLC accounts and make multiple donations. So a long time fan would have priority over a new person/company who trying to park an rv and rent them.

Sounds like they're gearing up for lower turnout. I almost feel like I'm watching the Sears CEO plunder and cripple a once great company.
Why because they are trying make it a better experience for the people? I swear no matter what change they make someone going to complain.

Electrical hookups would be a nice perk for that lot and make it more appealing. It would eliminate complaints about the neighbor's generator and allow people to stay up as late as they want, especially if it's a later kickoff the next day. Water and sewage would be a pipe dream (that's a pun!!). They'd require more engineering which may not be worth the seven times a year they'd be used.

Electrical hookups would be a nice perk for that lot and make it more appealing. It would eliminate complaints about the neighbor's generator and allow people to stay up as late as they want, especially if it's a later kickoff the next day. Water and sewage would be a pipe dream (that's a pun!!). They'd require more engineering which may not be worth the seven times a year they'd be used.
I know they have mentioned the possibility of hook up before in a survey. I that might be part of the tailgate village that they had in the master plan.

These improvements address a lot of concerns I've had for many years.

RV's stacked one upon another, lack of room for emergency vehicles, etc.

BUT, forcing those that want to enjoy the lot to buy a full season, I don't think that's something I agree with. I've been a season ticket holder for 15 years and have been bringing an RV out to 3 or 4 games a year for the past 10 and I just don't see myself buying a full season. With a 30-40% reduction in spaces I would guess that ORV permits will be much like bowl tickets. Spaces will sell out in full season packages and there won't be single game permits available through the ticket office. This will create a great secondary market for sellers as visiting fans will be forced to pay huge mark ups. Hey, maybe I just talked myself into buying a full season and scalping what I don't want.

Why because they are trying make it a better experience for the people? I swear no matter what change they make someone going to complain.

You must not have to make decisions in your regular job. Same size lot, fewer spaces, and same price. Hmmm, now why would a company do that? Oh, and this other piece of information says reduced capacity at the venue.

You must not have to make decisions in your regular job. Same size lot, fewer spaces, and same price. Hmmm, now why would a company do that? Oh, and this other piece of information says reduced capacity at the venue.
They're adding 80 new RV spots near Medlar - presumably to compensate for the capacity lost in the RV lot - as well as providing overflow RV parking at the Grange (which, as a non-RVer, I'm not sure if they did in the past).

That doesn't sound like they're anticipating lower capacity to me, although there's admittedly no indication of any net gain or loss of space.

...please tell me no one here is on this advisory board. Still no permission to take a freaking shower in the IM Building, but they're going to name roads and put up street signs. Also seems like they're trying (very hard) to make single game passes unavailable. SMH...

12099107.jpeg

May 25, 2017
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.-- Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics announced today improvements to 2017 Football Overnight RV (ORV) parking as a result of analysis over the past six months around overall fan experience and safety recommendations.

During the past eight months, Penn State Athletics initiated an Overnight RV (ORV) Advisory Board comprised of fans who regularly park in ORV for Nittany Lion football games. In addition, survey responses from a strong sampling of ORV patrons informed these decisions. Included in the improvements is an increase in space by more than 50 percent for each ORV as compared to last year, as well as accommodations to improve ingress and egress at the Overnight RV lot. These changes were informed by recommendations from the surveys and the ORV Advisory Board, as well as careful analysis by ICA and the University.

"The creation of an ORV advisory board was an important step in addressing fan interest in enhancing the overall experience in the Overnight lot. We have received excellent feedback about RV parking and suggestions on how to improve this experience," said Deputy AD Phil Esten. "We listened to our fans and took a hard look at the overall RV experience. First and foremost, we feel the changes we are implementing will dramatically improve the fan experience. Additionally, these improvements are in line with national RV guidelines and regulations, allowing for better safety and security measures to be taken, starting this season."

Improved Safety and Fan Experience
The size of ORV parking stalls will grow this season from 18' x 40' to 28.5' x 40, an increase of more than 50 percent from the 2016 season. These larger stalls were very well received by overnight RV customers who attended last month's Blue-White Game. While a reduction in the number of Overnight RV parking stalls will occur, the changes will improve safety and reduce the chance of fire and exhaust from immediately impacting adjacent RVs, improve the movement for emergency personnel and equipment and create easier movement for all vehicles in the RV lots.

Penn State Athletics also will be creating approximately 80 new game day RV spaces in the Blue RV preferred lot, just south of Medlar Field at Lubrano Park. The size of the game day RV parking spaces in the other lots will remain the same as in 2016.

Key Overall RV Parking Information

• Overnight RV pricing will remain the same as in 2016.
  • Fans can make requests for season RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order.
  • Single game ORV/RV parking will only be available if season RV parking is not sold out.
  • Patrons will be able to purchase one season overnight RV permit per account.
  • In anticipation of the Overnight RV lot being sold out on a season basis, fans will not be able to cash in a car pass or a reserved/preferred pass for the ORV lot as credit.
  • Season ticket holders who have not already purchased season overnight RV parking, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6 at their account manager. (See below for more information).
  • Fans parking in the ORV lots who require ADA assistance can call 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays 8 a.m-5 p.m.) for more information. ADA spaces are available, as in previous years.
Why Changes Are Being Made
  • To improve the fan experience for season ticket holders and season permit holders in the RV lot with overnight accommodations (Yellow RV and Overnight RV):
    • Serve those fans who purchase early with space in the primary lot
    • Provide approximately 50 percent more space for each RV
    • Add new roadways, with street names and space numbers
    • Provide accountability by assigning a street "address" for each RV
    • "Address" helps identify tailgate location for visitors
    • Provide quicker access through a separate entrance for pre-paid ORV
Connect "Address" to permit holder through bar coded permit
  • Reduce the density of RVs, making conditions safer
    • Lower concentration of carbon monoxide
    • Mitigate risk of fire spreading from RV to RV
    • Tailgates contained in larger spaces, freeing up drive aisles for emergency access
  • Enhance communication of updates to those who purchased ORV permits
    • Alert to weather changes impacting lot
  • Enforce rules as requested by the ORV Advisory Group
    • Each permit holder assigned to a specific space/street "address"
    • Encourage activities that promote adherence to policies and a great experience for all fans in the ORV lot.
RV Parking Permit Sale for Fans
  • Season ticket holders who have not already purchased a season RV parking permit, can submit their season request starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 6. The RV sale will end at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 14.
    • All season ticket holders can make requests for RV parking permits. All requests will be filled in Nittany Lion Club point total order;
    • The application will be in account manager, similar to process used for bowl games;
    • The ticket office will collect payment information, but will not charge the credit card unless the patron is confirmed to receive RV parking.
Grange Fairgrounds Also Available for RV Patrons
  • If the Overnight RV lot is sold out, RVs will be directed to Grange Fairgrounds:
    • 1,500 RV spaces with water and electric hook-up;
    • Shower houses;
    • Home game week: $60 per night (Thursday-Saturday nights); $30 per night (Sunday-Wednesday nights). $40 per week to keep RV at Grange Fairgrounds in between home games. RVs must depart Grange by the day after the final home game.
    • Approximately 14 miles from Beaver Stadium;
    • Penn State operates a game shuttle service for an additional cost
Fans with questions related to overnight RV or game day RV parking should call 1-800-NITTANY (weekdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email golions@psu.edu.

Last edited:
I was planning to come up with an RV to the Pitt game. Does anyone think it will be sold out by season pass holders? It seems like they're expecting it to be.

I like this overall plan except I don't see the need to purchase the whole season. I called yesterday and they will offer single games in July.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT