ADVERTISEMENT

No WVU tix for me.

West Virginia is not a bad team, and this game is far from a lay-up. Yes, we'll be favored and rightly so, probably in the range of 10-14 points, but it's on the road in what will likely be a pretty wild atmosphere against a team coming off a successful season and entertaining high hopes for an encore this year.

They also bring back most of their productive players on offense though the D looks to be potentially vulnerable. All in all, it will be a good test for us right out of the gate.
That's how I see it. Morgantown is as difficult an environment for an away team as there is in college football, although WVU does not regularly have the talent to pull off big upsets. Texas found that out in 2021. OK found that out in 2022 and TCU found out in 2023.

The WVU QB will be in his 2nd year as a starter and can change a game with his legs as well. He likely will improve on his completion percentage as experience does matter.

Should be a nice PSU win, but PSU will need to play well to cover the spot. I'm hoping to round up a couple tickets to see it first hand.......

Would Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc fans be concerned about WVU--we all know the answer is no.
Stop pretending this is the 80s and their isn't a huge gap between us and most teams.
That's true. And PSU is not Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc (i.e. recent playoff teams all of which consistently out recruit PSU)....

That's how I see it. Morgantown is as difficult an environment for an away team as there is in college football, although WVU does not regularly have the talent to pull off big upsets. Texas found that out in 2021. OK found that out in 2022 and TCU found out in 2023.

The WVU QB will be in his 2nd year as a starter and can change a game with his legs as well. He likely will improve on his completion percentage as experience does matter.

Should be a nice PSU win, but PSU will need to play well to cover the spot. I'm hoping to round up a couple tickets to see it first hand.......
exactly. PSU should win and probably would in 9 of 10 matchups. But being the first game of the season and being in a difficult environment introduces the challenges of emotion and poise. If we played them in game two or later, I'd be much more comfortable.

They're not a good team. We're probably favored by 10-14 on the road. It's a game we should win easily. This isn't 5 years ago when Franklin mismanaged games against weaker opponents and lost--we've fixed that.

There's no vulnerability here at all. Greene completed 52% of his passes last. FIFTY TWO. They got lucky with their schedule last year and won more games than their talent predicted. It happens.

This is a layup. Even if close at the half, like last year, we run away in the second half. That's what great teams do. Stop making us worse than we are which is what you're doing by hyping up an average at best Big XII squad.

I will stop making us worse than we are by hyping up average teams if you stop making us worse than we are after beating good teams.

They're not a good team. We're probably favored by 10-14 on the road. It's a game we should win easily. This isn't 5 years ago when Franklin mismanaged games against weaker opponents and lost--we've fixed that.

There's no vulnerability here at all. Greene completed 52% of his passes last. FIFTY TWO. They got lucky with their schedule last year and won more games than their talent predicted. It happens.

This is a layup. Even if close at the half, like last year, we run away in the second half. That's what great teams do. Stop making us worse than we are which is what you're doing by hyping up an average at best Big XII squad.

Also, re your dis of Garrett Greene, 247 Sports rates him as 2024's 3rd most "dynamic" starting QB in college football. Here's their write-up, which admittedly appears to be a bit more overstated than is warranted, but the point is that the kid's no slug.

In any case, I trust the team will not make the mistake of thinking this game will be a layup:

>>The advanced analytics suggest Garrett Greene is college football's most underrated returning quarterback in 2024 after he exploded onto the scene for the Mountaineers last season. He led the FBS ranks in big-time throws (10.2%) last fall per PFF and is rarely sacked when pressured given his mobility. It's a dangerous comp, sure, but Greene is the closest quarterback we've seen to Johnny Manziel in the Power conference ranks in several years. He is lethal on the move and can move the chains with his feet or finding guys at the second level when the secondary begins to close in.<<

That's true. And PSU is not Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc (i.e. recent playoff teams all of which consistently out recruit PSU)....
In their histories those 4 teams played wvu a total of 9 times.

Alabama played one time and won in a home opener by 10 points. Recent history.

Georgia played one time and lost. Recent history.

Michigan has one win in 1904. 😀

OSU has the best record at 5 and 1. Two wins since 1987. Other games (3-1) 1897-1903.

PSU has played them 50 times since 1904.

In the football of 2024, WVU is no slouch, particulary at home.

We are right behind them and need to adopt that outlook. Do we consistently out recruit WVU? It should be an easy win

I will stop making us worse than we are by hyping up average teams if you stop making us worse than we are after beating good teams.
What good teams did we beat recently?
I'm impressed we're beating who we should

Also, re your dis of Garrett Greene, 247 Sports rates him as 2024's 3rd most "dynamic" starting QB in college football. Here's their write-up, which admittedly appears to be a bit more overstated than is warranted, but the point is that the kid's no slug.

In any case, I trust the team will not make the mistake of thinking this game will be a layup:

>>The advanced analytics suggest Garrett Greene is college football's most underrated returning quarterback in 2024 after he exploded onto the scene for the Mountaineers last season. He led the FBS ranks in big-time throws (10.2%) last fall per PFF and is rarely sacked when pressured given his mobility. It's a dangerous comp, sure, but Greene is the closest quarterback we've seen to Johnny Manziel in the Power conference ranks in several years. He is lethal on the move and can move the chains with his feet or finding guys at the second level when the secondary begins to close in.<<
One of the dumbest thing written about football honestly

In their histories those 4 teams played wvu a total of 9 times.

Alabama played one time and won in a home opener by 10 points. Recent history.

Georgia played one time and lost. Recent history.

Michigan has one win in 1904. 😀

OSU has the best record at 5 and 1. Two wins since 1987. Other games (3-1) 1897-1903.

PSU has played them 50 times since 1904.

In the football of 2024, WVU is no slouch, particulary at home.
This is honestly pathetic
If those teams played WVU this year and we didn't everyone would be talking about it being a weak game. This is a layup.

One of the dumbest thing written about football honestly

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your reference is to the 247 analysis rather than my comment. ;)

But seriously, your position is that West Virginia sucks, their QB sucks, if we don't blow them out then we suck, and if we do blow them out then it's a meaningless win.

The problem, Lando, is that you've been singing that tune for, what, three straight years now, which detracts a bit from your credibility.

This is honestly pathetic
If those teams played WVU this year and we didn't everyone would be talking about it being a weak game. This is a layup.
The next time you are honest will be the first time.

Well those teams aren't playing WVU this year and have only played WVU 9 times in the last 125 or so years so comparing what their fans think about not playing WVU this year is utterly irrelevant, immaterial, and incompetent nonsense.

I guess those SEC teams would rather play teams like Chatanooga, Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your reference is to the 247 analysis rather than my comment. ;)

But seriously, your position is that West Virginia sucks, their QB sucks, if we don't blow them out then we suck, and if we do blow them out then it's a meaningless win.

The problem, Lando, is that you've been singing that tune for, what, three straight years now, which detracts a bit from your credibility.

We dont need to blow them out. We cN win 20-17 and I'm content. It's not a bowl game. The win has meaning its just not a major win that earns respect. It's not a game that's acceptable to lose and I'm confident now, like last year, that we've turned the table and will beat the teams we should.

West Virginia isn't good. Check out who they beat last year. Greene isn't good. He lacks accuracy and composure. He'll find ways to cost them games like last year against Houston.

And yes the 247 nonsensical analysis probably written by a person that dislikes the big 2 conferences.

Well those teams aren't playing WVU this year and have only played WVU 9 times in the last 125 or so years so comparing what their fans think about not playing WVU this year is utterly irrelevant, immaterial, and incompetent nonsense.

I guess those SEC teams would rather play teams like Chatanooga, Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, etc.
Again would any of those fan bases be hyping up WVU as a big opponent? Any of them?

What does having played the in the past have to do with this? We're talking about the quality, or lack there of, for a program.

We play opponents on the level of Tennessee Tech and UTC as well and guess what...like them we expect to win.

Honestly, I think this is the problem
Many posters here falsely believe that saying "West Virginia is a good team and a tough opponent" somehow makes us better if we beat them. It doesn't. We all know we're supposed to beat West Virginia. The fact anyone has any concern about the game simply means you don't think we're actually good.
Upsets happen but very rarely to well-coached, top-tier teams. That's where we are at.
It's a good thing that we don't have to pretend WVU is a scary opener.
I’m more concerned with how good we are, than how bad they are. We were not very good last year IMO. Until we start beating playoff teams we are average IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00

Don't forget about Lousiana Monroe, a favorite of SEC teams the week before they have a real game!!!

Reactions: GSPMax
Again would any of those fan bases be hyping up WVU as a big opponent? Any of them?

What does having played the in the past have to do with this? We're talking about the quality, or lack there of, for a program.

We play opponents on the level of Tennessee Tech and UTC as well and guess what...like them we expect to win.
No one here is "hyping up WVU", but most here are just discussing the game honestly.

Then there are a few that seem to be "hyping DOWN WVU".....

Yes, those fan bases are also likely discussing their opponents for their first game, that is unless they are playing Louisiana Monroe, or Tennesee Tech.........

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00 and Jerry
No one here is "hyping up WVU", but most hear are just discussing the game honestly.

Then there are a few that seem to be "hyping DOWN WVU".....

Yes, those fan bases are also likely discussing their opponents for their first game, that is unless they are playing Louisiana Monroe, or Tennesee Tech.........
They are hyping them up. Big game in a tough atmosphere. There's nothing honest about anyone trying to make WVU into a legit opponent. We all know what it is. Some want it to have meaning because of the past. Some just want to claim a big win. It's a mid-tier Big XII team that we're double digit favorites on the road against.

Are they saying how good those teams are? And let's be real...they're all focused on the playoff and knowing they need 10 wins. If they played WVU they'd be considering that a win like our fans should be

They are hyping them up. Big game in a tough atmosphere. There's nothing honest about anyone trying to make WVU into a legit opponent. We all know what it is. Some want it to have meaning because of the past. Some just want to claim a big win. It's a mid-tier Big XII team that we're double digit favorites on the road against.

Are they saying how good those teams are? And let's be real...they're all focused on the playoff and knowing they need 10 wins. If they played WVU they'd be considering that a win like our fans should be
What's a "legit opponent" ? Louisiana Monroe? WVU is a P5 team that had a winning record in 2023, and their loyal fans make a road game there when they have a decent team a challenge, especially in a team's first game of the season. You may consider them as not legit, but it seems most here do consider them legit. Saying they aren't legit over and over doesn't make it true.... So yes, "lets be real"

This was posted today. The difference is that JJ had a really great crew around him and was asked to simply manage the offense. PSU needs Allar to be a difference maker against good teams. We'll see if he's up to that.

Lando Groundhogs day when WVU is mentioned - I guess he saw his shadow and 3 more months of WVU is a crappy team post's.

I am pretty sure a WVU Fan must have burned Lando's couch on his front porch sometime in the past to account for his weird obsession with denigrating them.

Just got an email from Athletics saying I will NOT be getting game tickets for WVU. As a season ticket holder for 25 years I have never been denied tickets to an away game I was trying to get. I guess the smaller size of their stadium compared with increased demand by PSU fans has left me on the outside looking in. I guess I’ll have to look at the secondary market, just don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.

I was informed though, that I will be getting my tickets that I requested for the USC game.
My father in law went to several PSU-WVU games in Morgantown, said they were the worst fAnn base he ever saw. Calling them rude was being kind, spat on and threw rocks at PSU fans including senior citizens.

What's a "legit opponent" ? Louisiana Monroe? WVU is a P5 team that had a winning record in 2023, and their loyal fans make a road game there when they have a decent team a challenge, especially in a team's first game of the season. You may consider them as not legit, but it seems most here do consider them legit. Saying they aren't legit over and over doesn't make it true.... So yes, "lets be real"
Legit opponents are other teams that can contend. Ohio State USC Washington. Maybe Wisconsin. Most Big Ten and SEC teams pay 3-5 legit games a year. The rest should be wins. Penn State and Michigan played 2 last year. Thankfully expansion improved the Big Ten now we have to schedule better non conference games.

Most here want it to be the 80s so that's a bad argument

I am pretty sure a WVU Fan must have burned Lando's couch on his front porch sometime in the past to account for his weird obsession with denigrating them.
I dont have any college team other than arguably Notre Dame. When WVU beats a team with a pulse this year let me know because it didn't happen last year.

This was posted today. The difference is that JJ had a really great crew around him and was asked to simply manage the offense. PSU needs Allar to be a difference maker against good teams. We'll see if he's up to that.

Allar was fine last year. The valid concern is about the guys he's throwing the ball to. I have confidence in 1 if them.

People also put too much on 2 games where he had no time and no one open.

I'd argue JJ had a much better crew in front of him and behind him -- Michigan's OL and running game was tremendous the last few years. They won in the trenches and ran the ball when they wanted to. Their WR's were fine, but were only made better b/c of their ground game. Corum and Edwards and the OL set the tone. Our OL and RB's, while certainly not liabilities and weaknesses, weren't really dominating or controlling either. Let's not make Michigan's outside weapons truly the reason why JJ succeeded. It was the inside-out construct of the team that won for them. Until JF fortifies our trenches, expect more of the same. I mean, we had an AA, 1st rd LT and two other solid draft picks from the OL, and still struggled to move the ball against our two best opponents. Rinse and repeat annually. I think we've seen enough evidence to date that JF doesn't know how to build and construct a physically dominating team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
that makes travel a lot more difficult for PSU fans to attend this away game. A three-hour drive away and you'll need to be in your car by 8am.
Yes, or some will opt to drive out there the day before and get lodging overnight to make it more convenient. I was hoping for a 3:30pm start.

Yes, or some will opt to drive out there the day before and get lodging overnight to make it more convenient. I was hoping for a 3:30pm start.
Yeah, I feel like staying overnight is the only real option for a road game especially a noon start. Prime time you'll be driving back late so you probably stay. 3:30 would really be the only option to drive and still enjoy the experience IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT