ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Trustees call special meeting on Friday to discuss Freeh Report

You guys are truly funny!

Though we cannot publicly discuss the materials or documents we reviewed (for those of you who can read, please see the Court Order), we can and did announce yesterday the existence of a document, that provides for our very, very thorough review of those materials.

All of you now know it exists. So stop your bitching, get off your asses, and force the University to release it. You have the power.

What exactly is your definition of “very very thorough”? The reason I ask is that Freeh had a full time crew of lawyers and professional investigators working full time for 7 months interviewing approximately 350 individuals and culling through 3.5 million documents/records to arrive at his OPINION. I believe Freeh went into his investigation with no preconceived notion of what his opinion would end up being.

Since you’re legally precluded from discussing any of the things contained in what constitutes Freeh’s work product, perhaps you can tell us then in sufficient detail, the process you and your group followed to reach your own OPINION as to the veracity or lack thereof of Freeh’s OPINION.

Now from what I understand, the agreement to view Freehs’s work product required it be done at the law offices of Saul Ewing in Philadelphia. How did that work? How many and specifically which trustees did you have camped out at the Ewing offices full time culling through 3.5 million documents and for how long considering most work full time at other jobs? With 3.5M documents, how do you know that you didn’t miss some that Freeh used in formulating his OPINION? Did your review include interviewing each and every persons that the Freeh team interviewed since verbal impressions can sometimes be more telling than what just might be scribed in an interviewer’s notes? Did you document and can you tell us what is missing from the Freeh work product (other than an interview with JVP) that might cast doubt on Freeh’s overall OPINION? Surely you can tell us specifically what those things are right now since they're not contained in the work product. No?

Here’s what I think. I believe your review was less than “very very thorough” and it’s clear at least to me that you went into this with the preconceived notion that the Freeh OPINION wasn’t supported by the evidence without even taking a look at it. Hell, that was the platform you ran on for trustee and you were hell bent on proving Freeh wrong so please don’t tell me otherwise. When people go into things with preconceived notions they tend to rationalize things that fits their narrative and that’s what I think your’re doing here to save face.

What exactly is your definition of “very very thorough”? The reason I ask is that Freeh had a full time crew of lawyers and professional investigators working full time for 7 months interviewing approximately 350 individuals and culling through 3.5 million documents/records to arrive at his OPINION. I believe Freeh went into his investigation with no preconceived notion of what his opinion would end up being.

Since you’re legally precluded from discussing any of the things contained in what constitutes Freeh’s work product, perhaps you can tell us then in sufficient detail, the process you and your group followed to reach your own OPINION as to the veracity or lack thereof of Freeh’s OPINION.

Now from what I understand, the agreement to view Freehs’s work product required it be done at the law offices of Saul Ewing in Philadelphia. How did that work? How many and specifically which trustees did you have camped out at the Ewing offices full time culling through 3.5 million documents and for how long considering most work full time at other jobs? With 3.5M documents, how do you know that you didn’t miss some that Freeh used in formulating his OPINION? Did your review include interviewing each and every persons that the Freeh team interviewed since verbal impressions can sometimes be more telling than what just might be scribed in an interviewer’s notes? Did you document and can you tell us what is missing from the Freeh work product (other than an interview with JVP) that might cast doubt on Freeh’s overall OPINION? Surely you can tell us specifically what those things are right now since they're not contained in the work product. No?

Here’s what I think. I believe your review was less than “very very thorough” and it’s clear at least to me that you went into this with the preconceived notion that the Freeh OPINION wasn’t supported by the evidence without even taking a look at it. Hell, that was the platform you ran on for trustee and you were hell bent on proving Freeh wrong so please don’t tell me otherwise. When people go into things with preconceived notions they tend to rationalize things that fits their narrative and that’s what I think your’re doing here to save face.
Gee, you could say the same about Freeh.....you really think they reviewed 3.5 million documents??/

I agree with your challenging the lack of substance here, but thinking that Freeh had no preconceived notions is just naive. Have you read the Freeh Report and seen some of this so-called evidence he used in forming his "opinion"? It's laughable in light of many of the facts that have since been revealed. The guy is as crooked as can be.

Last edited:
Much was promised regarding a possible repudiation of the Freeh report, but very little was delivered.

In 2012, I angrily decided to get involved and voted (for the first time) in a BOT election for the "reform" candidates. Voted for similar "reform" candidates again in 2013 and 2014.

In 2015 and beyond, I stopped voting since my votes did nothing.

Are you saying they "made every effort to deliver the desired result?"

Proving Freeh to be a fraud?"It was a combination of hard work and luck."

CR66, how is your air conditioning working this summer? When did you stop using red font?
3f670f3b5278f0288b410c4f5f29f1ce.jpg

Reactions: marshall23
Another article today discussing the failure to protect kids in "the Penn State scandal"

But hey, it never gets mentioned anymore.

Where is Bagwell these days? Is this a FOIA request? Or is this full blown lawsuit to make this A9 review public?

The Court Order required the University to produce to us, not at the law firm of Saul Ewing, ALL of the Source Materials. However, that would necessitate a review by PSU Counsel of these same documents (no, they haven’t reviewed the vast majority of those documents) in order to mark them either Priviledged and Confidential or just Confidential.

This approach would be very costly to the University and quite honestly unnecessary as we had no need to review every single page for reasons I cannot disclose— yet.

Instead, we agreed to a Stipulation and Order in which all the Source Materials were made available to us electronically in the luxury of wherever and whenever we wanted to see them.

All documents were to be treated as Confidential. In the event that we wanted a hard copy of a document, we would request said document. The University through its outside counsel at Saul Ewing would then review such documents and mark them either Confidential or Priviledged and Confidential before sending to us electronically.

As for our approach, we had the benefit of an experienced team of lawyers, researchers and dedicated staff.

Alice Pope and I spent thousands of hours literally reading and reviewing materials. The balance of the Plaintiff Trustees supported us as needed.

Alice is largely responsible for crafting the report. Her expertise as a researcher were invaluable to this project.

Mary Waldman aided us immensely with her ability to search the database and find materials. We will be indebted to Mary forever.

Larry Schultz gave us an investigative perspective that helped us assess the manner in which the Freeh investigation was conducted.

The team at Myers Brier & Kelly, LLP provided tremendous legal guidance.

My educational background is in accounting. I am a CPA (though my license is Inactive) with experience in internal and external audits.

The approach was very simple. We reviewed the Source Materials from two perspectives.

First from the Freeh Report we worked backwards to confirm the Source Materials supported the report.

Second, from the Source Materials we worked to confirm they met the “more reasonable to conclude” standard used by Freeh.

This was a thorough, painstaking review. We spent days, nights and weekends looking at these Source Materials.

Remember, much of the work done by the Freeh Group focused on the interviews of the 430 people Freeh publicly claims to have interviewed. We had no need to re-interview those people.

Also keep in mind that we had available extensive contemporaneous materials from other legal proceedings that helped us in our review.

I hope to one day elaborate much more.

Thanks A
The Court Order required the University to produce to us, not at the law firm of Saul Ewing, ALL of the Source Materials. However, that would necessitate a review by PSU Counsel of these same documents (no, they haven’t reviewed the vast majority of those documents) in order to mark them either Priviledged and Confidential or just Confidential.

This approach would be very costly to the University and quite honestly unnecessary as we had no need to review every single page for reasons I cannot disclose— yet.

Instead, we agreed to a Stipulation and Order in which all the Source Materials were made available to us electronically in the luxury of wherever and whenever we wanted to see them.

All documents were to be treated as Confidential. In the event that we wanted a hard copy of a document, we would request said document. The University through its outside counsel at Saul Ewing would then review such documents and mark them either Confidential or Priviledged and Confidential before sending to us electronically.

As for our approach, we had the benefit of an experienced team of lawyers, researchers and dedicated staff.

Alice Pope and I spent thousands of hours literally reading and reviewing materials. The balance of the Plaintiff Trustees supported us as needed.

Alice is largely responsible for crafting the report. Her expertise as a researcher were invaluable to this project.

Mary Waldman aided us immensely with her ability to search the database and find materials. We will be indebted to Mary forever.

Larry Schultz gave us an investigative perspective that helped us assess the manner in which the Freeh investigation was conducted.

My educational background is in accounting. I am a CPA (though my license is Inactive) with experience in internal and external audits.

The approach was very simple. We reviewed the Source Materials from two perspectives.

First from the Freeh Report we worked backwards to confirm the Source Materials supported the report.

Second, from the Source Materials we worked to confirm they met the “more reasonable to conclude” standard used by Freeh.

This was a thorough, painstaking review. We spent days, nights and weekends looking at these Source Materials.

Remember, much of the work done by the Freeh Group focused on the interviews of the 430 people Freeh publicly claims to have interviewed. We had no need to re-interview those people.

Also keep in mind that we had available extensive contemporaneous materials from other legal proceedings that helped us in our review.

I hope to one day elaborate much more.[/QUOTE

Thanks Anthony

I appreciate the effort, and do hope for broader impact. Frustrated, in general, but not with the effort.

Reactions: Bobpsu
I'm sure there has been a lot of hard work put into the research. But it's all useless because the board will never allow the report to be released.

You could have found the Holy Grail, but this BOT wouldn't allow you to tell us where it is if it meant it made them look bad.

Reactions: Michlion and nits74

Obviously what you are saying is that this was a football problem instigated by Joe Paterno and actively supported by Graham, Tim, and Gary.

It's amazing that anyone can be f*cking stupid enough to still assert such crap given all the evidence to the contrary.

Thank you, Anthony.

Obviously what you are saying is that this was a football problem instigated by Joe Paterno and actively supported by Graham, Tim, and Gary.

It's amazing that anyone can be f*cking stupid enough to still assert such crap given all the evidence to the contrary.

Thank you, Anthony.
It's not amazing considering that this is what so many want to believe and what so many others have invested in the accepted narrative. This is why a more timely release of this report was so critical. As things currently stand its effectiveness whether released or not will be, at best, negligible. Too little too late.

All of you now know it exists. So stop your bitching, get off your asses, and force the University to release it. You have the power.

Mr. Lubrano, Can you please clarify what you mean when you say “You have the power”. For 6 years, i’ve watched you, a major donor to the university, a voting Pennsylvania resident, and a member of the BOT fight the good fight with minimal success in changing the public perception of Joe Paterno and the university as a whole. I’m none of those 3 things, just a simple PSU alum living outside of PA who still has to deal with negative comments when people see me in my Penn State gear or find out I’m an alum.

In my opinion, I have no power to effect the actions of the Penn State BOT or administration. What specifically would you suggest people like me do to force the university to release the report? Thank you for all you have done and tried to do over the past 6 years.

Mr. Lubrano, Can you please clarify what you mean when you say “You have the power”. For 6 years, i’ve watched you, a major donor to the university, a voting Pennsylvania resident, and a member of the BOT fight the good fight with minimal success in changing the public perception of Joe Paterno and the university as a whole. I’m none of those 3 things, just a simple PSU alum living outside of PA who still has to deal with negative comments when people see me in my Penn State gear or find out I’m an alum.

In my opinion, I have no power to effect the actions of the Penn State BOT or administration. What specifically would you suggest people like me do to force the university to release the report? Thank you for all you have done and tried to do over the past 6 years.
The tenor of his comments is that it's all on us now. "Stop bitching and get up off your asses." ?? How to win friends and influence people.

The tenor of his comments is that it's all on us now. "Stop bitching and get up off your asses." ?? How to win friends and influence people.

No, actually what I am saying is what I’ve said since the very outset of this tragedy. Our strength is in our numbers. WE, collectively, can accomplish whatever we set out to do.

Legislators under stand first and foremost the business of elections. To win an election, votes are required.

This isn’t too complicated.

I certainly don’t want to disrespect anyone, even those who don’t agree with me.

No, actually what I am saying is what I’ve said since the very outset of this tragedy. Our strength is in our numbers. WE, collectively, can accomplish whatever we set out to do.

Legislators under stand first and foremost the business of elections. To win an election, votes are required.

I certainly don’t want to disrespect anyone, even those who don’t agree with me.

Anthony, thank you and Alice for all of the time and effort you have put in to this effort. I agree that our strength is in our numbers as witnessed by one term Tom Corbett.
The majority of the BOT members are not exposed to being pressured in any way as long as they continue to close ranks, turn a deaf ear and control the university management. So other avenues need to be pursued.
--Can the same court that ordered the review of the Freeh documents by your team now be asked to allow the release of your report over the objections of the university citing "privileged and confidential" status? What could be redacted from your report is any mention of specific names and witnesses, if any, that were promised confidentiality by Freeh thus your report is no different from the same construction of Freeh's report which was made publicly available. If Freeh's report can be published with approval of the university then why not your team's report if constructed and redacted appropriately? That is the question to the court.
--Could the state legislature force the university to release the report in a similar vein to the above such that it is a similar report in rebuttal to the Freeh report? Who in the legislature could/would carry that torch?
--Already on this thread there have been published articles that appear to be very detailed. I am thinking in particular about the BigTrial blurb. More of these kinds of media actions could be beneficial.
--Finally, it would be helpful if you could now have the same public activism and freedoms of speech and thought that Freeh has been allowed to have. Even though his university report was also "privileged and confidential" with the work product being kept under lock and key, this did not keep Freeh away from the press, giving interviews, commenting on everything that has come along his way the past six years, and even commenting on last Friday's meeting. Now you are on the same level playing field since your term on the BOT is over. As long as you don't quote the documents, give out names, expose witnesses, etc. and follow the guidelines that Freeh used in his public appearances there should be no reason that you can't also be as public a personality as he is and communicate your thoughts about his report. Just as Freeh has been free to continue to deceive you are now free to argue the alternative and if the old guard BOT is exposed to any weakness it is public commentary that explains their real thinking throughout the process and it is not flattering.
For those with all the money they will ever need, protecting their reputation, integrity, character, public personna and legacy becomes the last frontier. Attack that, take the high ground on them and finally put them on the defensive.

Anthony, I have little faith in legislators in PA. As we have seen, they will tell you what you want to hear to get your vote and then turn 180 once in office. Old story, I know. The only option left, as has been suggested by others, is to leak. Wouldn't be the first time. It seems someone on your team has done that, albeit to a lesser extent. I recall Tom M. implying a couple of months ago that the report would be released soon (obviously incorrectly) and we would all be very pleased with the results. How else would he have heard this? Anyway, with respect to the report it would seem that in order to get maximum exposure I'd consider approaching, with an agreement protecting the source, The Washington Post, New Yorker Magazine, or New York Times. Favor going to the WP in that they have shown to at least have somewhat of an open mind at times concerning this. The Philly and Pittsburgh papers don't have national exposure and have a history of being very antagonistic toward Penn State.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarasotan
I talk to all sorts of people all over the country[/B] the time about all kinds of things. The scandal & Penn State hasn't been mentioned in years. People are positive on Penn State.
But did you talk to "those people"? :)

Maybe I got the date wrong... seems like yesterday....o_O

Tampa Bay is the new Penn State
By Dan the Bullets Fan on Jun 29, 2018, 9:39am EDT 1

Looking back people said how could so many people turn the other cheek while kids were being raped at Penn State. Well football was more important then human decency. Tampa Bay is no different Winston to me is proven guilty Darby who is now know to be a liar makes me less any doubt that Winston is a rapist. Does this organization have no decency left?

Last edited:
I talk to all sorts of people all over the country the time about all kinds of things. The scandal & Penn State hasn't been mentioned in years. People are positive on Penn State. They Like Franklin. They mention tradition & that they do things the right way. The BB team is joked about.

Parents with graduating seniors were universally positive. If their kid's attending PSU they are pleased, if they didn't get in, they are disappointed. If they also got into somewhere better & chose that, they still spoke positively about PSU.

Nobody seems to care very much that there was a scandal 7 years ago nor seems to hold anyone associated with PSU currently, or alumni accountable.

The only people I personally know who care are Pitt graduates. I assume there are some from other "rival" schools. But that's from envy & rivalry, & I see the same from Penn Staters towards MSU, etc... It's not really a serious problem. HR departments are not rejecting applicants because they went to PSU.

Lets just get back to our lives.
As I noted a few weeks back, it came up in a sermon at my church--associated with Nasser and Cosby. Sorry--it's the gift that keeps on giving. You are unfortunately mistaken.

Anthony, thanks for your hard work on this.

Perhaps you are not at liberty to say, but I'm curious if you have any insight (even if they are your opinions) about why President Barron's statement ""The Freeh Report was not useful and created an 'absurd' and 'unwarranted' portrait of the University. There's no doubt in my mind, Freeh steered everything as if he were a prosecutor trying to convince a court to take the case" and his pledge to review the Freeh report did not receive more traction/go anywhere?

Did someone (BOT? Legal counsel?) talk him out of it?

I know that Barron isn't very popular on this board, but he was a professor of mine when he was in EMS and I know he is a very smart guy. I've not been overwhelmed with this tenure as president, but I feel confident (based on my recollection of him as a person) that he not only understands the problems with the Freeh report, but he also understand why it is so important to the university to not let this drop.

Any comments?

Thanks again

Reactions: sarasotan and Bob78
Anthony, thanks for your hard work on this.

Perhaps you are not at liberty to say, but I'm curious if you have any insight (even if they are your opinions) about why President Barron's statement ""The Freeh Report was not useful and created an 'absurd' and 'unwarranted' portrait of the University. There's no doubt in my mind, Freeh steered everything as if he were a prosecutor trying to convince a court to take the case" and his pledge to review the Freeh report did not receive more traction/go anywhere?

Did someone (BOT? Legal counsel?) talk him out of it?

I know that Barron isn't very popular on this board, but he was a professor of mine when he was in EMS and I know he is a very smart guy. I've not been overwhelmed with this tenure as president, but I feel confident (based on my recollection of him as a person) that he not only understands the problems with the Freeh report, but he also understand why it is so important to the university to not let this drop.

Any comments?

Thanks again

Let’s look closely at history with respect to this matter.

During the Executive Session of the July 2014 meeting, Al Lord in his debut as Trustee addresses the entire Board. He was direct in his comments. They did not take kindly to his words.

He proposed a resolution to review the report and its associated materials but that was defeated and replaced by a “let’s wait and see” resolution.

At the November 2014 meeting of the Board, after months of internal squabbling, President Barron announced his intention to review the report.

At that same session of the Board, then Chairman Massey asked me if I would refrain from my request to review the Source Materials while President Barron conducted his review.

I advised that I would not.

During the months of December through March, Al Lord, Bill Oldsey and I attempted to amicably resolve the issue of access to the Source Materials. We traveled to Phil to meet with outside counsel at Saul Ewing. We learned that President Barron had authorized Saul Ewing to begin redacting documents so that President Barron could commence his review.

The University offered access to us under conditions we could not accept.

First, the documents would be redacted.

Second, we would only have access inside the offices of Saul Ewing in Phila.

Third, we could not engage independent counsel to assist us with the review.

Fourth, we could not discuss the review with our fellow Trustees.

This of course let to 7 of us making a Formal Demand to Access Corporate Records— known as a 5512 Demand.

The University denied our request which led to the filing of a Petition in Centre County Court that resulted in our access.

President Barron’s decision to break his promise, not surprising, coincided with our legal efforts.

Whether he was formally advised by GC I do not know nor could I say. However, I will submit that in the time I served as Trustee, I never found him capable of making decisions on his own. But that’s just my opinion.

Remember, he was sourced by Rod Erickson and suppprted by Keith Masser.

Let’s look closely at history with respect to this matter.

During the Executive Session of the July 2014 meeting, Al Lord in his debut as Trustee addresses the entire Board. He was direct in his comments. They did not take kindly to his words.

He proposed a resolution to review the report and its associated materials but that was defeated and replaced by a “let’s wait and see” resolution.

At the November 2014 meeting of the Board, after months of internal squabbling, President Barron announced his intention to review the report.

At that same session of the Board, then Chairman Massey asked me if I would refrain from my request to review the Source Materials while President Barron conducted his review.

I advised that I would not.

During the months of December through March, Al Lord, Bill Oldsey and I attempted to amicably resolve the issue of access to the Source Materials. We traveled to Phil to meet with outside counsel at Saul Ewing. We learned that President Barron had authorized Saul Ewing to begin redacting documents so that President Barron could commence his review.

The University offered access to us under conditions we could not accept.

First, the documents would be redacted.

Second, we would only have access inside the offices of Saul Ewing in Phila.

Third, we could not engage independent counsel to assist us with the review.

Fourth, we could not discuss the review with our fellow Trustees.

This of course let to 7 of us making a Formal Demand to Access Corporate Records— known as a 5512 Demand.

The University denied our request which led to the filing of a Petition in Centre County Court that resulted in our access.

President Barron’s decision to break his promise, not surprising, coincided with our legal efforts.

Whether he was formally advised by GC I do not know nor could I say. However, I will submit that in the time I served as Trustee, I never found him capable of making decisions on his own. But that’s just my opinion.

Remember, he was sourced by Rod Erickson and suppprted by Keith Masser.

I don't see what was gained except easier access to the unredacted materials by the A9.

In other words, just to satisfy their curiosity.

I don't see what was gained except easier access to the unredacted materials by the A9.

What was gained?

Independent counsel.

Unredacted documents.

Engagement of other professionals to aid in the review.

Convenient access as opposed to limited access.

I worked virtually every weekend on this. Had I been required to travel to the offices of Saul Ewing I would never have been in a position to adequately discharge my duties.

Besides, Saul Ewing works for PSU.

Trustees, under the law, are required to independently verify the veracity of the information they are provided by the University.

If you cannot realize the value in unredacted material you can’t be to bright or haven’t given it much thought. The restricted access was to do what they continue to do, delay, delay, delay...........
Definitely a troll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT