ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PENN STATE VS NEBRASKA GAMETHREAD

22 pts in a half won't cut it. Plus a bunch of turnovers. Still hanging in there down 6 but need to play much better.

Reactions: psu00
This is painful on both ends. No Lilley, no Clary, and only half of Wahab. IMO the only way PSU can win this game is if Brown, Dunn, Hicks can make 6 3s in the second half.

Defense has been weak. Two layups off of inbounds plays and another where Nebraska went 94' uncontested.

8 turnovers didn't help.

The uncontested layups continue for Nebraska. Meanwhile the offense is forcing shots.

This is painful on both ends. No Lilley, no Clary, and only half of Wahab. IMO the only way PSU can win this game is if Brown, Dunn, Hicks can make 6 3s in the second half.

Defense has been weak. Two layups off of inbounds plays and another where Nebraska went 94' uncontested.

8 turnovers didn't help.
Where is Clary?

No low post play. They don’t run 30 off the line every time. Baldwin zero offense. Bench giving nothing. All these lead to a blowout

Defense wasn’t awful, but a horrible game offensively. Shots didn’t fall, then the effort level seemed to drop. Very disappointing game.

Defense wasn’t awful, but a horrible game offensively. Shots didn’t fall, then the effort level seemed to drop. Very disappointing game.
Classic Pennstate basketball game. I have seen a thousand and one over the last 60 years.
Will never get better. Ever.

8 turnovers didn't help.
Had to turn it off, so frustrating. Never saw so many uncontested layups. You cannot win anything when you give up so many point blank lay-ups. Same as last game with MSU. Need some D.

Totally disagree that we will never get better. Rhoades needs time but he is the right guy and we will get better.

If I had a dollar for every time that was said about the new Penn St basketball coach…..and nothing ever changes. ;)

• Sad
Reactions: psu1969a
If I had a dollar for every time that was said about the new Penn St basketball coach…..and nothing ever changes. ;)
Shrewsberry did it, we went to the Dance and threatened to make the Sweet 16. Rhoades will build a good program. This year has been a good season given the circumstances of what Rhoades walked into. I think we can get to 8 conference wins.

Basic rule of basketball, you can’t win if you can’t shoot. We’re just not a good shooting team, which is why we lose more than we win.

It’s not going to change. This program is the equivalent of Indiana in football; it’s capable of a competitive season about every four or five years, but the other seasons are going to be like this one, in which they go at best about 8-12 in conference and lose some close games at home and almost every conference road game, most in uncompetitive fashion.

To any posters who follow basketball recruiting, tell me whether PSU is attracting enough players to be able to compete with the Purdues and MSUs on a yearly basis and maybe finish 15-5 or 14-6 in conference. I bet the answer to that is no. God, basketball wastelands like Northwestern and Nebraska have passed PSU by a pretty wide margin.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
It’s not going to change. This program is the equivalent of Indiana in football; it’s capable of a competitive season about every four or five years, but the other seasons are going to be like this one, in which they go at best about 8-12 in conference and lose some close games at home and almost every conference road game, most in uncompetitive fashion.

To any posters who follow basketball recruiting, tell me whether PSU is attracting enough players to be able to compete with the Purdues and MSUs on a yearly basis and maybe finish 15-5 or 14-6 in conference. I bet the answer to that is no. God, basketball wastelands like Northwestern and Nebraska have passed PSU by a pretty wide margin.
This like other comments are an over reaction to a loss. Basically you are saying we will have 3-4 seasons like this and the 4th or 5th will be a Dance or just NIT team in a 4-5yr year cycle. I disagree and believe Rhoades can build a competitive program that is much better than you describe.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
This like other comments are an over reaction to a loss. Basically you are saying we will have 3-4 seasons like this and the 4th or 5th will be a Dance or just NIT team in a 4-5yr year cycle. I disagree and believe Rhoades can build a competitive program that is much better than you describe.
For that happen, he’s going to have to start bringing in recruiting classes that are at least ranked in the top 20 almost on a yearly basis, because it’s not going to happen by waiving a magic wand and wishing it to come true. If you want to believe that this program is going to become a consistent winner, it must be based on something tangible and not just on hopes and prayers.

Until Rhoades hopefully starts recruiting the necessary talent, I’d like to see this team establish an identity similar to the Pistons Bad Boys teams. I mean, you know right now that you’re going to lose almost every Big 10 conference road game and even a lot of the home games while being on the short end of most calls, so start playing like Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer, which means no layups without paying the price; try to become the villains and intimidators. Who cares right now about fouls because it doesn’t mean that much. Then, after hopefully they get some better players like the Pistons eventually did, you’d have the best of both worlds.

Where is Clary?
Another PSU site has posts that he quit the team because he didn’t like how he was being used after he came back from injury. This is believable based on Rhoades’ vague answer for why he didn’t play today,

Step back from the ledge. My gosh it’s his first year. Everyone left yet he put together a competitive team in a tough league. In case you haven’t noticed no one has been winning at Nebraska. Chambers upgraded recruiting and if the administration stays out of his way I believe this is the right coach to continue to build the program. Give the guy a chance. He’s doing a good job so far. Believe me the other coaches in the league are aware of Penn State. Admittedly they do need to shoot better though.

Reactions: psu1969a
For that happen, he’s going to have to start bringing in recruiting classes that are at least ranked in the top 20 almost on a yearly basis, because it’s not going to happen by waiving a magic wand and wishing it to come true. If you want to believe that this program is going to become a consistent winner, it must be based on something tangible and not just on hopes and prayers.

Until Rhoades hopefully starts recruiting the necessary talent, I’d like to see this team establish an identity similar to the Pistons Bad Boys teams. I mean, you know right now that you’re going to lose almost every Big 10 conference road game and even a lot of the home games while being on the short end of most calls, so start playing like Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer, which means no layups without paying the price; try to become the villains and intimidators. Who cares right now about fouls because it doesn’t mean that much. Then, after hopefully they get some better players like the Pistons eventually did, you’d have the best of both worlds.
I want to see a program built on good defense and general toughness. To me that is a tangible that can yield wins. I think Rhoades can do that. He is not going to get top 20 recruiting classes immediately but you can make the Dance without top 20 classes if you play together and are good on D.

Reactions: bison13
Hoping that the Clary situation will work out, but we did need a few guys to move along for next season to open up the ship that we know we already need, and another one for an impact 5. Wouldn't choose for your leading scorer to be one of the defections, but there aren't a ton of realistic options.

Hoping that the Clary situation will work out, but we did need a few guys to move along for next season to open up the ship that we know we already need, and another one for an impact 5. Wouldn't choose for your leading scorer to be one of the defections, but there aren't a ton of realistic options.
Erial,
With the Covid year, redshirting, transfers and everything else, it's hard to keep track of the players who are in their last year of eligibility. I looked at the roster, but still not sure of who can come back
So who is out of eligibility?
Thanks.

Erial,
With the Covid year, redshirting, transfers and everything else, it's hard to keep track of the players who are in their last year of eligibility. I looked at the roster, but still not sure of who can come back
So who is out of eligibility?
Thanks.
Wahab, O’Boyle, and Mitchell are done…we have 4 recruits coming in and are at the max scholarships this year, so we’d need one more defection to make room.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT