ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State's Terrell Barraclough Enters Transfer Portal

I can’t blame him a bit, but I got to chat with him at OTT’s and he was saying how much he loved it at PSU. He was living at a house near the Blue Course with a teammate, the teammates parents owned the house.

He was such a nice guy. Actually the next day we saw him in the parking lot and he remembered chatting with us.

Best of luck to him, he will always be a Lion and one of the Utah Boys!

Last edited:
Why would he do that? According to McSoreley he has no chance of getting accepted anywhere.

As for me, if there was ever a wrestler that deserves his chance on the mat for a full season, it's the Claw. I hope he AAs.

I don't want to see him going up against us other than during the post season, so no Iowa, Michigan or tOSU in particular please.

As an achedemic all star and a definite AA candidate I suspect he will have many suitors, and hopefully a nice little NIL package to boot!

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
Why would he do that? According to McSoreley he has no chance of getting accepted anywhere.

As for me, if there was ever a wrestler that deserves his chance on the mat for a full season, it's the Claw. I hope he AAs.

I don't want to see him going up against us other than during the post season, so no Iowa, Michigan or tOSU in particular please.

As an achedemic all star and a definite AA candidate I suspect he will have many suitors, and hopefully a nice little NIL package to boot!
He entered, say no one accepts him (highly doubt it), can he come back to PSU or does he forfeit his spot on the team?

I hope he goes to Edinboro or somewhere local and can continue to train FS at NLWC. Regardless, this is one of the least surprising moves of the offseason. I appreciate his loyalty to PSU, but he is an AA caliber wrestler. He shouldn't be sitting as 3rd string here, he should be competing. I wish him well, and I'm rooting for him, all the way to the finals at least.

Really hate to see him go, but it's almost criminal to keep a guy who is good enough to AA, but doesn't have a spot in the starting lineup. The article says he's a biomedical engineering major. I know someone with some pull with the Penn team who could get him in there, but the Ivies won't let grad students play sports. Another BS rule that needs to be looked at a little closer.

Ruby - just entering the portal doesn't mean he's not at Penn State anymore. He has to go through the official application and acceptance process before he is officially with another school.

Really hate to see him go, but it's almost criminal to keep a guy who is good enough to AA, but doesn't have a spot in the starting lineup. The article says he's a biomedical engineering major. I know someone with some pull with the Penn team who could get him in there, but the Ivies won't let grad students play sports. Another BS rule that needs to be looked at a little closer.

Ruby - just entering the portal doesn't mean he's not at Penn State anymore. He has to go through the official application and acceptance process before he is officially with another school.
Among non-Ivy schools with D1 wrestling programs, Stanford, Duke, Michigan, and ASU are top academic landing spots. The #1 rated program in the country is at Johns Hopkins, where he would absolutely torch D3 competition for a year. LOL.

Misquoting me I see to make it sound like I am questioning the kids wrestling and academic abilities. I explained what I meant and critiqued myself for my choice of words. Won’t hijack this kids thread but I’ll go ahead and throw you on ignore.

Misquoting me I see to make it sound like I am questioning the kids wrestling and academic abilities. I explained what I meant and critiqued myself for my choice of words. Won’t hijack this kids thread but I’ll go ahead and throw you on ignore.
I was being sarcastic, you for reasons that baffle me seemed to be serious.

I didn't get it. Terrell is universally liked and we all wish him the best. If he wants an MBA I am 100% certain he will find a welcoming home.

Ignore? No problem, just don't kick the dog, and yell at the kids on this thin skinned Monday.

I was being sarcastic, you for reasons that baffle me seemed to be serious.

I didn't get it. Terrell is universally liked and we all wish him the best. If he wants an MBA I am 100% certain he will find a welcoming home.

Ignore? No problem, just don't kick the dog, and yell at the kids on this thin skinned Monday.
We need a sarcasm smily. (Or one that everyone agrees denotes sarcasm) I always use a laughing smily for lack of anything better if I post something that is not meant to be taken seriously.

We need a sarcasm smily. (Or one that everyone agrees denotes sarcasm) I always use a laughing smily for lack of anything better if I post something that is not meant to be taken seriously.
It comes across as sarcasm more often when it's not a direct reply to someone else's post. Posted independently it doesn't look like a post is trying to show up someone else.... JMO

Yeah, I sometimes use the winking one 😉 when making a sarcastic reply.

Although, if you take anything I write on here too seriously you will probably have an aneurysm.

Baby Hat GIF

Best of luck to the young man! A true scholar-athlete!

Black Shoe Diaries (before the re-format) has a designated sarcasm font, just had to @bookend the text with@

When in doubt, shouldn't be too hard to alter some snippet of text here with a different font or the like.

Good wrestler better person. I’ll be rooting for TB wherever he ends up.

Right on thanks for the info!

Excited for TB and his next team, at the same time as disappointed that he is leaving PSU... Clearly, he will improve any program he chooses, Best of luck TB!!

I'm guessing 165 or 174. He could probably make 157, but with one last go, why not choose to eat?

A few posters on GIA thought Iowa could shrink him to 149... LOL.
Iowa could probably benefit from Terrell's addition to their lineup, but I would be surprised if he would want to subject himself to Brands' brutal and primitive coaching approach after experiencing the best college wrestling has to offer.

Iowa could probably benefit from Terrell's addition to their lineup, but I would be surprised if he would want to subject himself to Brands' brutal and primitive coaching approach after experiencing the best college wrestling has to offer.
GIA is still holding out hope that either Caliendo or PK can cut to 157. Only one of them can wrestle 165, Gabe is chiseled in stone at 174, and neither are big enough to bulk to 184, so it's one at 165 and the other at 157 or bench (hence the hope that he could cut back to 149, which isn't a reality, LOL). In reality, TB only makes sense for Iowa if neither Caliendo nor PK can cut to 157 and that weight is open for TB.

GIA is still holding out hope that either Caliendo or PK can cut to 157. Only one of them can wrestle 165, Gabe is chiseled in stone at 174, and neither are big enough to bulk to 184, so it's one at 165 and the other at 157 or bench (hence the hope that he could cut back to 149, which isn't a reality, LOL). In reality, TB only makes sense for Iowa if neither Caliendo nor PK can cut to 157 and that weight is open for TB.
Don't they still have Siebrecht? And I have no earthly idea why Caliendo would want to cut to 157 only to find his own personal nightmare Mesenbrink waiting to annihilate him 3 more times. I think Terrell should just go home to Utah Valley, eat, be happy, and go at 165 or 174, and then in March, kick as much ass as possible and get on the podium. This man took Shane Griffith into deep waters, beat multiple ranked guys, and is arriving wherever he arrives with 4 years of the best coaching and practice partners that is possible in the world. Going to Iowa City to get injured halfway into the season makes zero sense.

Don't they still have Siebrecht? And I have no earthly idea why Caliendo would want to cut to 157 only to find his own personal nightmare Mesenbrink waiting to annihilate him 3 more times. I think Terrell should just go home to Utah Valley, eat, be happy, and go at 165 or 174, and then in March, kick as much ass as possible and get on the podium. This man took Shane Griffith into deep waters, beat multiple ranked guys, and is arriving wherever he arrives with 4 years of the best coaching and practice partners that is possible in the world. Going to Iowa City to get injured halfway into the season makes zero sense.
They will get Siebrecht back, but Barraclough is a significant upgrade over him (although Siebrecht is on of the few entertaining Hawkeyes). Caliendo IMO is the better of the two between him and PK, so I think it would more likely be PK to have to go on the Ok St diet.

I don't think 157 would be too bad for Barraclough to make. He maintained low 160s this year even though he wasn't obliged to ever make 157. I don't think he would do that if it was a tough cut just to be an emergency backup. But whatever, I do agree with you that I don't think he'll agree to any significant cut if it really is hard for him. He's going to have plenty of offers for whatever weight he wants.

They will get Siebrecht back, but Barraclough is a significant upgrade over him (although Siebrecht is on of the few entertaining Hawkeyes). Caliendo IMO is the better of the two between him and PK, so I think it would more likely be PK to have to go on the Ok St diet.

I don't think 157 would be too bad for Barraclough to make. He maintained low 160s this year even though he wasn't obliged to ever make 157. I don't think he would do that if it was a tough cut just to be an emergency backup. But whatever, I do agree with you that I don't think he'll agree to any significant cut if it really is hard for him. He's going to have plenty of offers for whatever weight he wants.
Caliendo is a damn good 165 pounder. Why not have PK go 174 and Gabe at 184 and voila, no holes?

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Caliendo is a damn good 165 pounder. Why not have PK go 174 and Gabe at 184 and voila, no holes?
Gabe has been pretty adamant about 174 being his best weight, and he's the best of the three of them (and possibly their best shot for a title if he's at 174). He went at 184 a couple times this year while on redshirt, but I don't think he will do it long term. PK and Caliendo both have multiple years left. If he wants to go 174, then someone needs to beat him in a challenge for it, which I don't think will happen. If you start telling the best kids in the program that they have to move up to a weight they are not comfortable to accomodate a guy they can beat in the room, they'll start leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT