ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Sports for Fall 2020, Ongoing Discussion

I feel like this is a good move by the PIAA. They pushed back, a little, and asked the good gov to consider the damage along with the risk aversion relative to containing direct COVID infections.

Don't mention the governor when talking about a decision by the governor. Got it.
Yimoo2k.gif

I don’t think so. Plus, DOH and PDE have endorsed his recommendation. No way local districts push back on that.

I disagree. I think they may push back some.

Up until now the mantra has been “not before a vaccine”. For the first time, I think many people are starting to think about the fact that there very well may be NO vaccine. Even if we do get one, much like the flu, there are different strains of covid and any vaccine may or may not work year to year.

At some point people are going to have to adjust to the ‘new normal’ instead of waiting for fixes that may never appear.

I disagree. I think they may push back some.

Up until now the mantra has been “not before a vaccine”. For the first time, I think many people are starting to think about the fact that there very well may be NO vaccine. Even if we do get one, much like the flu, there are different strains of covid and any vaccine may or may not work year to year.

At some point people are going to have to adjust to the ‘new normal’ instead of waiting for fixes that may never appear.
Adjusting to the new normal may include no football and wrestling among others.

I disagree. We went from ‘flatten the curve’ to ‘no one can ever get it’. That’s just not realistic. The reality is it’s around now and likely won’t be going away. People will eventually adapt and life moves on.
All I am doing is taking your words.......adapt to the new normal....what is the definition of adapt???....alter, modify, adjust, change......I agree that all these things need to happen....and it may mean no football or wrestling or sports of this nature until there is a vaccine or some breakthrough in treatment.

Reactions: lionscott
I don’t think so. Plus, DOH and PDE have endorsed his recommendation. No way local districts push back on that.
Going against a Department of Health recommendation is not a wise course of action. For a school district to defy this AND a Department of Education recommendation is insanity.

And Spooky Nook( huge complex in Manheim PA) has been having big tournaments the past month. Not sure about other sports but AAU Basketball has been having tourneys there. They have at least 10 courts going at all times. They have a lot of VB courts as well , also have Field hockey which I am not familiar with.
So kids are playing.

Going against a Department of Health recommendation is not a wise course of action. For a school district to defy this AND a Department of Education recommendation is insanity.

People on here don't understand that lawsuits a school can set themselves up for when going against dept of health's recommendations.

Reactions: marshall23
People on here don't understand that lawsuits a school can set themselves up for when going against dept of health's recommendations.
What lawsuits? The Director of the CDC this week publicly stated that the flu is more deadly than covid to kids. There are also numerous studies that show it is rare for a child to pass covid to an adult.

At this point the health recommendations are getting contradictory depending on the organization you listen too.

Reactions: cment and surfmom
What lawsuits? The Director of the CDC this week publicly stated that the flu is more deadly than covid to kids. There are also numerous studies that show it is rare for a child to pass covid to an adult.

At this point the health recommendations are getting contradictory depending on the organization you listen too.
And.....all this is a guarantee that there would be NO lawsuits?

All I am doing is taking your words.......adapt to the new normal....what is the definition of adapt???....alter, modify, adjust, change......I agree that all these things need to happen....and it may mean no football or wrestling or sports of this nature until there is a vaccine or some breakthrough in treatment.

And we’re back to the vaccine. ;) When there’s no good vaccine, what’s the plan?

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
And we’re back to the vaccine. ;) When there’s no good vaccine, what’s the plan?
Perhaps life will need to change. Species that don't adapt become extinct. I have been involved in football since 1964. I've played it, coached it etc. But you need to be an adult at some point. Reckless behavior needs to be avoided. Let's pause, buy time and see if there is in fact a vaccine or better methods to treat the virus. Would you rather have contacted the virus in March or now? I'll wager that many who lost their lives in March, would have survived and been treated differently based on what the medical community has learned.
If sports need to start in January and 3 abbreviated seasons can be contested, then this is the way to go. If school districts can't bring ALL their students into school at once.....how can it possibly be correct to push contact sports?

Reactions: MrDibbs
Perhaps life will need to change. Species that don't adapt become extinct. I have been involved in football since 1964. I've played it, coached it etc. But you need to be an adult at some point. Reckless behavior needs to be avoided. Let's pause, buy time and see if there is in fact a vaccine or better methods to treat the virus. Would you rather have contacted the virus in March or now? I'll wager that many who lost their lives in March, would have survived and been treated differently based on what the medical community has learned.
If sports need to start in January and 3 abbreviated seasons can be contested, then this is the way to go. If school districts can't bring ALL their students into school at once.....how can it possibly be correct to push contact sports?

Forget sports. We have people still without jobs, restaurants and other business going under, kids not allowed in school, child care issues with working parents and haphazard schooling, etc. All I’m asking is what’s the plan (other than cancel everything and ‘Just wait for the vaccine’)?

Last edited:
The mortality rate of this disease simply does not justify all this.

Contract sports? If we can’t have “contact sports”, how will human beings reproduce?

Take a deep breath and listen to yourself.

This is a dangerous virus and people are at risk (including me).

But this will not be the end of days. This is a nothing compared to Spanish Flu of 1918. And while that Flu brought some minor adjustments, life went on. And this was before the current era of modern medicine.

No...but why are we not inundated with lawsuits about flu? Are we going to allow potential lawsuits to shut down society?
7 of 10 FCS conferences are not playing football this fall. No D2 or D3 championships in the fall, no fans at MLB or NBA.....likely the same for NFL.....I'm having a hard time comparing this with the flu.

Reactions: Sproul
Contract sports? If we can’t have “contact sports”, how will human beings reproduce?

Take a deep breath and listen to yourself.

This is a dangerous virus and people are at risk (including me).

But this will not be the end of days. This is a nothing compared to Spanish Flu of 1918. And while that Flu brought some minor adjustments, life went on. And this was before the current era of modern medicine.
LOL, looking around, I'm opposed to many humans reproducing. This may be the silver lining.

And.....all this is a guarantee that there would be NO lawsuits?
good luck with a lawsuit, you will not even be able to prove where you got the virus if you got it.

Reality is you can only sue (at least collect) if you were injured, a kid getting covid which in all likeliness will be nothing more than a cold, is not a winning lawsuit.

All the school has to do is offer an on-line portion, let parents choose to keep their kids at home. Teachers can email the assignments to the kids. Of course their kids won't learn...they can sue about that.

I guess your selling your car? We can all adapt to decrease automobile to zero by not driving.

7 of 10 FCS conferences are not playing football this fall. No D2 or D3 championships in the fall, no fans at MLB or NBA.....likely the same for NFL.....I'm having a hard time comparing this with the flu.
You are right - COVID-19 is only a small percentage as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918. And yet here we are in 2020. And those in 1918 had only a fraction of the benefits of modern medicine. Yet life went on...wonder how they did it?

Reactions: sylvanialion
You are right - COVID-19 is only a small percentage as deadly as the Spanish Flu of 1918. And yet here we are in 2020. And those in 1918 had only a fraction of the benefits of modern medicine. Yet life went on...wonder how they did it?
The human race survived the Bubonic plague as well.....not sure what that means. But if the discussion is about the wisdom of playing contact sports in the fall season...........I simply believe that it isn't worth the risk right now. I am a proponent of starting high school sports on 1/4/21 and having 3 season, winter, fall and then spring. It buys time, it allows schools to return to the primary reason they exist (education) and hopefully return to some semblance of normal. The protocols that would be required (or should be) especially the frequency of testing is a concern for me (school districts are already financially strapped). There are many details to consider. We have pro athletes and college athletes publicly voicing their concerns over testing and safety protocols......we should not be protecting high school athletes as well?
A discussion I have not seen is this......what will high school football, be in reality, if it does "kick off." Several school districts have already cancelled. Leagues have taken action to delay. Even should games begin.....what is the response to the inevitable positive test. 14 days without a contest.....like the Marlins? What happens to the scheduled opponents during the shutdown of the impacted team? Will "outbreaks" be more frequent on 0-4 teams? I'll wager they will. These are concerns for D1 programs......and I wonder how many kids will simply not play under the current situation (making some marginal programs even weaker).

Last edited:
The human race survived the Bubonic plague as well.....not sure what that means. But if the discussion is about the wisdom of playing contact sports in the fall season...........I simply believe that it isn't worth the risk right now. I am a proponent of starting high school sports on 1/4/21 and having 3 season, winter, fall and then spring. It buys time, it allows schools to return to the primary reason they exist (education) and hopefully return to some semblance of normal. The protocols that would be required (or should be) especially the frequency of testing is a concern for me (school districts are already financially strapped). There are many details to consider. We have pro athletes and college athletes publicly voicing their concerns over testing and safety protocols......we should not be protecting high school athletes as well?
A discussion I have not seen is this......what will high school football, be in reality, if it does "kick off." Several school districts have already cancelled. Leagues have taken action to delay. Even should games begin.....what is the response to the inevitable positive test. 14 days without a contest.....like the Marlins? What happens to the scheduled opponents during the shutdown of the impacted team? Will "outbreaks" be more frequent on 0-4 teams? I'll wager they will. These are concerns for D1 programs......and I wonder how many kids will simply not play under the current situation (making some marginal programs even weaker).

I am a proponent of starting high school sports on 1/4/21 and having 3 season, winter, fall and then spring

Excellent idea! Because we all know this whole virus thing will be completely done by 1/1/21 and everybody will get on with a normal life starting 1/4/21. Just gotta hold on for 5 more months.

And Spooky Nook( huge complex in Manheim PA) has been having big tournaments the past month. Not sure about other sports but AAU Basketball has been having tourneys there. They have at least 10 courts going at all times. They have a lot of VB courts as well , also have Field hockey which I am not familiar with.
So kids are playing.
My family works out at the Nook. I think it's the largest indoor sports complex in the USA. No large upticks seen here in Lancaster in the teenage segment of the population.

Reactions: sylvanialion
My family works out at the Nook. I think it's the largest indoor sports complex in the USA. No large upticks seen here in Lancaster in the teenage segment of the population.

7% of the people in Lancaster who have contracted covid have died, though.

That is because you are comparing the response. Fact is, if you are a kid, the flu is more dangerous than covid and that is from the head of the CDC. If you are healthy, the flu is more dangerous than covid. If you have chronic health problems, covid is more dangerous than the flu. Covid is more contagious than the flu that is true, thus more cases.

We knew this in March from the covid stats in Asia and Europe. We should have protected the vulnerable and let everyone else live their life. That would have gotten us to herd immunity much faster. Instead we intentionally put covid positive patients in nursing homes then lot our minds when the body count soared because predictably the nursing home patients then died in large numbers.

We should have had PSA's about washing your hands frequently. We should have had PSA's about eating good food and exercising to reduce the co-morbidities.

In Norway they have public hand washing stations all over the place.

Reactions: cment
7% of the people in Lancaster who have contracted covid have died, though.
What is the average age of the fatality? That is important. Also, use the CDC number of 10 times the actual number of cases and the 7% becomes 0.7%, not nearly as scary.

Allow me to summarize this thread: You have been involved with sports for a long time in New York (not PA). You don't believe it's worth the risk for high school athletes to compete. The PIAA is doing what the NCAA is doing -- decisions are being made locally. You want the PIAA to do what NY is doing (wait until Jan). Many posters in this thread who are involved with PIAA sports don't care what you think about PA sports.

Have I missed anything?
Born and raised in Pa. High school and college in Pa. I don't give a flyin screw what you or any other posters think about my opinions. There, now I fixed it for you.

Reactions: crazytoadie
Born and raised in Pa. High school and college in Pa. I don't give a flyin screw what you or any other posters think about my opinions. There, now I fixed it for you.
How bout this for an opinion, why don't we let the people who would actually be participating in the sports decide if they want to play or not. I coach track at the high school level, most of the kids and coaches would say lets play.

The so called experts and political leaders have defined the problem has one case is one case too many, their goal is to stop the virus, they do not take into account the long term consequences of their decisions, the impact on the economy, the social ills that result and they think that Uncle Sam is just going to print more money to bail them out.

How bout this for an opinion, why don't we let the people who would actually be participating in the sports decide if they want to play or not. I coach track at the high school level, most of the kids and coaches would say lets play.

The so called experts and political leaders have defined the problem has one case is one case too many, their goal is to stop the virus, they do not take into account the long term consequences of their decisions, the impact on the economy, the social ills that result and they think that Uncle Sam is just going to print more money to bail them out.
“Flatten the curve” has become a much longer process than originally planned.

Let the kids decide? Ok

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT